PDA

View Full Version : What games should I play/buy?

Everoy
24th November 2006, 05:49 PM
Okay, so, it's that time of year when my mom wants my Christmas wish list. Some of the games on there have been there for years (Pokemon Crystal, anyone?) and I don't think they're gonna be in any presents this year, either. So, I wanna know some good games that I might be interested in. I currently own a computer (duh), DS, N64 and PS2, and I'm saving up for a Wii, but I won't be getting one anytime soon. Here's a list of my favorite games:

Black and White 2 (PC)
The Sims 2 (PC)
All that is Pokemon (various)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (DS)
Paper Mario (N64)
Zelda: OoT & MM (N64)
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2)
Okage: Shadow King (PS2)
Psychonauts (PS2)
Ape Escape 2 (PS2)
.hack games (PS2)
Xenosaga (PS2)
Dark Cloud (PS2)

So, basically I'm looking for genres like RPG, Strategy, and Action/Adventure, and games that have to have a decent or at least presentable plot. For instance, although Okage is generally lacking in several areas (eg, graphics and battles), the plot is awesomely obscure. Heck, the game is about your shadow trying to take over the world. Although I generally love games with good graphics, it's not a neccessity - I'm not going to throw my controller because skin is poking through clothing.

So, please help?

Shadow Djinn
24th November 2006, 10:06 PM
.hack//GU is out if you don't know, so you might want to try that. Final Fantasy III for the DS is pretty fun as well. Kirby Squeak Squad comes in December, and you also might like Okami for the PS2. Final Fantasy XII is also a pretty good game, and you might want to give Castlevania a try if you like Action/Adventure (for the DS/GBA.) If you're a fan of strategy and mechs, there's the Super Robot Taisen series, and for action RPGs, Summon Night. There are also other SRPGs like Fire Emblem, Disgaea 2, etc.

Alucard
25th November 2006, 02:03 AM
360 + Gears Of War + Dead Rising = Yes Please.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
25th November 2006, 12:28 PM
*wiffles*
Oh gosh, DEFINITELY Final Fantasy XII, and do do do do get Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney for the DS. It will give you a completely wrong impression of the life of an attorney, but DAMN THE DRAMA IN THAT GAME. Just... EXCELLENT. It'll make you think, too. Hard. Sort of Strategy/RPG Adventure type. Lots of words though so you might wanna steer clear if you don't like reading.
Okami for PS2, the graphics are pretty. It's an action RPG-type.

Weasel Overlord
25th November 2006, 02:25 PM
Final Fantasy in general, hey! Buy them alll!! Cept maybe the really early ones... if you want those, go for the GBA versions, they're well better! FFIV on the GBA is teh sex..;.

Um um. Devil May Cry, but only the first one. Yeah, it's retro, but it's easily the best one... the second one is bollocks, stay away! The third one isn't bad, but Dante is SO irritating it's actually untrue...

Um um. Shadow of the Colossus!! Egad, this game is FUN! If you've ever fancied charging through an almost completely empty world on a horsie, armed with only a bow and a sword, hunting for colossus' literally bigger than the screen which you have to climb up and kill with your sword by stabbing them repeatedly in weak spots, well, you should buy this game!! The graphics are stunning, fecking beautiful, the horse is ace, the colossus are, well fucking gigantic! And if you like a bit of puzzling, it's really hard to think of ways to actually kill the feckers sometimes. And they have lichen! For Hair!! And you have to climb up it and stuff!!!

And the last boss is apocalyptic... o.o Like, it's actually like fighting the apocalypse, however that would work... I had SO much fun completing that game it's untrue...

...and now I have rambled enough. BUY SHADOW oF THE COLOSSUS, FF AND DEVIL MAY CRY!! *runs*

Everoy
25th November 2006, 05:32 PM
360 + Gears Of War + Dead Rising = Yes Please.

No Xbox 360 for me :(

Final Fantasy in general, hey! Buy them alll!! Cept maybe the really early ones... if you want those, go for the GBA versions, they're well better! FFIV on the GBA is teh sex..;.

Yeah, I have those on my list, I only have FFX so far but I want the rest badly, esp. VII and VIII.

Thanks for input, all!

EDIT: Okay, here's my current list, taking suggestions into consideration (I looked most of your suggestions up on Amazon).

Final Fantasy I-IX, X-2, XII (PS, PS2)
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (PS2)
Karaoke Revolution (PS2)
Futurama (PS2)
Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
Rez (PS2)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Pokemon: Fire Red (GBA)
Pokemon: Crystal (GB)
Banjo Tooie (N64)
Sims 2 Nightlife (PC)
Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff (PC)
Sims 2 Open for Business (PC)
Final Fantasy III & IV (DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Bomberman Land Touch (DS)
Pokemon Ranger (DS)
Yoshi's Island (DS)
Magical Starsign (DS)

Alucard
26th November 2006, 01:38 AM
You need a 360. Gears Of War is hands down game of the year.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
26th November 2006, 03:41 AM
@Weaz: B-b-b-but FFVI GBA is so much sexier! *drools* ...well, it's all Final Fantasy, it's all good...
Shadow of the Colossus had baboon hooked, bugger him. He started FFXII first (at my badgering), then thought he'd 'try a bit' of Colossus, AND HE ENDED UP FINISHING COLOSSUS BEFORE CONTINUING FFXII T-T ...so yeah, it must be a good game... which I don't own... *grumbles*

@Kevvaelli: FFVII's the classic, though you might get turned off by the graphics, the storyline makes up for it :3 FFVIII is mainly love story... guh. I think the battle system is more playable/enjoyable in VIII, though.

Shadow Djinn
26th November 2006, 03:09 PM
Slight note I forgot to add...

Disgaea 1 is an Atlus game. It was published in 2002. Atlus games + long time ago = hard to find. I mean really hard to find. I would just get Disgaea 2 instead, there is only a meager story connection and a tutorial leads you through everything anyway (+ new features.)

The early FF games might kill you in the graphics style, and the further up ones would probably be of the same style but better. I would skip Final Fantasy 1 and 2, since FF3 for DS is a lot better. If you don't know there is no US FF3 aside from the DS one -- it's a completely new game for US.

Saffire Persian
26th November 2006, 06:26 PM
Ooh, I'd reccomend the whole Xenosaga series if you have only played the first. The second is rather on the 'meh' side of things, but the third is really quite good.

I'd highly recommend Tales of the Abyss that just came out for Ps2 - I'm a BIG fan of the Tales series, and like them all.

Tales has a good plot, but what really makes it are the characters, that are lively, funny, and the voice acting is pretty darn good. If you like Abyss, then I'd try Tales of Legendia -- which isn't as good, but I found it to still be an entertaining tale.

Since you have a DS, I highly recommend Golden Sun I and II, which are quite arguably the best RPGs made for the GBA. I say that because the Final Fantasies were ported on there. And GBA games play on the DS :D.

I'm an avid RPG fan, and I dunno if you'd like this, but I quite enjoyed Lunar: Silver Star Story complete. XD... It's old school, but quite fun, really.

And lets see... you might try Dragon Quest VIII. It's hard, I kid you not, but it isn't bad. (Not my favorite RPG though.. sorry. XD)

and any Final Fantasy... though the best are probably XII, X, VII, and X-2.

Final Fantasy XII is a little harder than your average FF game, but it's still very, very good. And I loved X, and you can get that pretty cheaply right now..

So to sum it up, I'd highly recommend you get Tales of the Abyss, FF XII, or FF X first.

Everoy
26th November 2006, 07:25 PM
And I loved X, and you can get that pretty cheaply right now..

So to sum it up, I'd highly recommend you get Tales of the Abyss, FF XII, or FF X first.

I already own X :D

classy_cat18
26th November 2006, 08:30 PM
Please, please, PLEASE don't get X-2 if you don't like pop songs. Some moments will make you feel like you're in a Britney Spears concert.

I see you have Banjo-Tooie on your list. That's one of my favorite 3-D platformers. And Kazooie is even funnier than before. Oh, and Gruntilda stops rhyming. This is a very good game if you don't mind collecting things and backtracking.

Rez is also good, but may set you back around $70 dollars if the twosome at XPlay are correct.

As long as you're getting Final Fantasy games, try to get one of the Tactics games. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is my favorite strategy game although I heard that Advance Wars for the GBA is just as good. In FFTA you have jobs to choose from (like FFIII for the DS). And all those missions will keep you busy for a long time.

Yeah, wait a while for the Wii. I heard that only Twilight Princess and maybe Rayman: Raving Rabbids are worthwhile. Save your Wii money until Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl come out.

Um, what else? Oh! Elite Beat Agents for the DS is really good. It's a rhythm game that has pop songs for the US. The music isn't top notch but it's pretty challenging. Funny, too.

Everoy
26th November 2006, 10:26 PM
I see you have Banjo-Tooie on your list. That's one of my favorite 3-D platformers. And Kazooie is even funnier than before. Oh, and Gruntilda stops rhyming. This is a very good game if you don't mind collecting things and backtracking.

Yeah, it's one of only two games that I ever returned late to Blockbuster, the other being Paper Mario.

Saffire Persian
27th November 2006, 12:24 AM
Ah, almost forgot, but Star Ocean 3 is another good RPG that can be bought cheaply. It has a good storyline, characters, and a good battle-system. :D

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
27th November 2006, 08:20 AM
Um, what else? Oh! Elite Beat Agents for the DS is really good. It's a rhythm game that has pop songs for the US. The music isn't top notch but it's pretty challenging. Funny, too.

OH YES YES! How could I forget EBA! Bad fangirl!!! *slaps self* Ahem. Personally I think the japanese version of this game (Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!) was better, both graphics wise (arguably just because red and black is cooler than the whole MIB scheme thing they're got going on in EBA) and song selection wise. Since you mentioned you liked stuff with plotlines rhythm games might not interest you.

If you're getting FFXII, you might as well get FFT/FFTA because FFXII will make you WANT to play these games. (well it did for me...)

FFX-2 is a step down from the grandeur of FFX, plotwise. I had to leave my brain outside the door before I could play it without thinking horrible things about Square Enix. Regardless it's quite fun, even if the whole thing looks like an interactive Dress-Up Barbie kit.

PNT510
28th November 2006, 03:29 PM
I say get Final Fantasy 12 for PS2, it starts off slow, but gets better and better as the game goes on. I'd also say get Final Fantasy 3 for the DS, old school FF games leave alot to be desired, but there is also a certain charm to them as well.