PDA

View Full Version : The naming game, revived!

Jeff
24th November 2006, 08:39 PM
Seeing as this thread was completely lost in the switchover, I thought I'd bring it back. Just a little disclaimer, I didn't start the original thread so I take no credit for this idea.

What are your guesses for the English names for the new Pokemon? Here are some of mine:
Lefia: Leafeon
Glacia: Glaceon
Dianozu: Nosestache
Perap: Parrap
Mitsuhoney: Beehoney
Beequeen: Beequeen
Sukapuu: Skunpu
Sukutanku: Skuntank
Diaruga: Diruga
Parukia: Perlkia
Minomucchi: Pinecoat
Aruseus: Aruzeus

Alot of people in the old thread had some of the same ideas BTW.

Blademaster
24th November 2006, 09:16 PM
OK, my list:

Naetle
Treetle
Dodaitoise
Babburn
Kindrill
Pyrhesus
Arguin
Antarguin
Emperte
Starbill
Starbird
Starhawk
Biver
Humbiver
Stoicket
Rushopper
Sparkitt
Strikitt
Fulguritt
Roseed
Rosanthmum
Skuword
Skullord
Shieldops
Fortrops
Mascleaf
Madamasc
Malmoth
Beehoney
Beequeen
Snaprel
Buoysel
Floatsel
Cheerry
Blawsome
Sealug
Seanail
Aidex
Balook
Blinshee
Flobbit
Rabbish
Witchrevus
Donkrow
Tigurve
Tigarge
Chilody
Skupike
Skutank
Mindal
Mindallion
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Lucky
Parrap
Mirakuge
Sandrake
Terragon
Zoomilla
Lario
Lucario
Hippace
Shawppo
Scorf
Dorapion
Frapple
Wartode
Zigjaw
Huengel
Neongel
Mantot
Snocone
Anthrost
Weavile
Jibacoil
Lickiton
Rhymond
Jungela
Elekible
Buuburn
Togekiss
Megayanma
Leafeon
Glaceon
Mastowine
PorygonZ
Smantinel
Dianose
Duspook
Hypothia
Electo
Monassa
Shalila
Jeeva
Dialga
Palkia
Reyahi
Regigigas
Guilatina
Crescelia
Phyone
Manaphy
Dakurai
Lonine
Alseus

Oh, and BTW...

(gets out a shotgun)

The first person to badmouth it gets the Dick Cheney Special. :hellyeah:

Phoenixsong
24th November 2006, 11:06 PM
ha blade ur namez suxx0rzz liek woah mine pwn j00rz

*gets the Dick Cheney Special and crawls home with a face full o' shot*

I still say that I can't work my brain around some of your legendaries' names.

As for my own contributions/beliefs/ideas that other people had and I liked:

Rentoraa>Gammalion
Rozureido>Roserade
Ramuparudo>Pachydon
Pachirisu>Zarrel
Buizeru>Buoysel
Furoozeru>Floatsel
Muumajii>Magereavus
Donkarasu>Donkrow
Sukanpuu>Skunpew
Sukatanku>Skutank
Doomiraa>Mirronze
Dootakun>Bellonze
Perappu>Parrap
Rioru>Riolu
Scorpi>Scorpi
Jibakoiru>Magnemass
Dosaidon>Rhyonite
Erekiburu>Elecable
Buubaan>Magmannon
Togekissu>Togekiss
Megayanma>Megayanma
Riifuia>Leafeon
Gureshia>Glacieon
Gureion>Glion
PorygonZ>PorygonZ
Yonowaaru>Duscloak
Yukishii>Yuxie
Emuritto>Emurit
Agunomuu>Agnome
Diaruga>Dialga
Parukia>Palkia
Rejigigasu>Regigigas
Giratina>Giratina
Kureseria>Cresceria
Fione>Phione
Daakurai>Darkrai
Sheimi>Sheimi
Aruseusu>Alseus

...I am beginning to think that I will cry if Rentoraa isn't named Gammalion. And if it's not, then I already know what my first Rentoraa's nickname will be.

Pokemaster Ash
15th December 2006, 10:16 PM
I made the comment before that Nintendo hasn't touched the names of Legendaries except for minor translation-related tweaks since R/B/Y (pretty much Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres were the only ones with major name changes). I doubt they'll change the names of the new legendaries much at all.

I did think Solareon sounded cool for Leafia, but that's not gonna work. Unfortunately its Special Attack isn't good enough to use stuff like Solarbeam so it wouldn't make too much sense. Glaceon doesn't sound too bad, though, for Glacia.

....Can't think of anything else right now, though. I REALLY like Erekkiburu and Buuburn, though, and I think Jibacoil's really interesting.

Jeff
16th December 2006, 03:02 PM
Looking at Elekiburu's name, considering it has the "buru" suffix that's likely to become bull in English, I'd have to guess its English name will be Elekibull or possibly Electabull. Oh yeah, Jibacoil, now I remember my guess for it from the old thread: Magnufo :P

Number1ChanseyFan
18th December 2006, 02:55 PM
I did think Solareon sounded cool for Leafia, but that's not gonna work. Unfortunately its Special Attack isn't good enough to use stuff like Solarbeam so it wouldn't make too much sense. Glaceon doesn't sound too bad, though, for Glacia.
Diamond and Pearl's USA release date has been announced, April 22, 2007.

Anyways, even with the low Special Attack stat, I think that Solareon sounds really cool though. Then you could have the 2 new Eeveelutions possibly having rhyming names, Solareon and then naming the Ice-Eevee Polareon.

Oh, and it appears that Perap's English name will be Chatot.

Jeff
18th December 2006, 07:15 PM
That sounds late. I remember Ruby and Sapphire being released later in the year in Japan than Diamond and Pearl were, and they were released in March in the US. I suppose there's more text to translate and they're trying to iron out issues with cross-regional trading (which exists in G3 but only works smoothly if you trade eggs), so that could explain the later-then expected release date.

Pokemaster Ash
18th December 2006, 08:49 PM
I think that's pretty late too. I was looking forward to having fun with D/P a lot sooner.

I heard there were some glitches with Ditto that were really weird. Hopefully they're fixing those. Maybe a few other potentially bad things to be ironed out.

Perfect Chaos
18th December 2006, 09:08 PM
Perap's new name sounds retarded. They say its a mix of "chat" which a parrots are known to do and the ending of "parrot". Pretty lame in my opinion. I shudder at the thought of some the names they plan on giving some of thse Pokemon

Blademaster
19th December 2006, 01:53 AM
You see?! I TOLD you guys me names were lousy for a reason!

(glares in Kev's general direction)

Chatot... dear sweet marmalade... Perrapa the Rapper > you! >, I SAY!!!!!!!!

Poryhedron
19th December 2006, 11:55 AM
I think that's pretty late too. I was looking forward to having fun with D/P a lot sooner.

I heard there were some glitches with Ditto that were really weird. Hopefully they're fixing those. Maybe a few other potentially bad things to be ironed out.

What sort of glitches? I recall that, if you catch a Ditto in Ruby/Sapphire (only possible with Game Shark), Ditto's Transform ability actually fools the Pokédex and you don't get Ditto's Dex data (even if you have the National Dex) because the Pokédex thinks you caught whatever Ditto was transformed as.

Blademaster
19th December 2006, 04:35 PM
What if you managed to catch the Ditto before it used Transform?

Pokemaster Ash
19th December 2006, 07:53 PM
Obviously if you caught it before it used Transform, you'd get the appropriate data.

I heard that there was a glitch in D/P where Ditto got to keep the moves it had after using Transform post-battle, and sometimes this actually OVERWROTE Transform. Obviously not a good thing.

Jeff
19th December 2006, 08:28 PM
I thought that the fact that transform keeps the moves it copies until the next battle is a feature to assist in passing on moves, but the fact that sometimes the change is permanent is a glitch. I can't see how something like Ditto keeping it's transformed moves after battle could be overlooked by the testers, I could be wrong though.

mr_pikachu
19th December 2006, 09:46 PM
Well, you'd think that Transform would be a unique enough move to warrant special testing. Then again, it could be that the beta testers really just played the game without regard to examining a bunch of specific moves and possible faults. (Not sure how beta testing was handled in DP, but I know the task is often outsourced to regular gamers.)

In that case, think about it for a moment... who actually uses Ditto on a team during regular gameplay? Hmm? Anyone? Besides that, we're left with breeding, and one could assume that those who use Ditto merely for its universal breeding capabilities probably don't care enough to check its stats, moves, etc. Anything beyond "I wonder if it's holding an item!" would likely be ignored; hence why the error might have slipped through beta testing.

(...Although the alpha testers, so to speak, should still be ashamed that such an error was left unchecked.)

Has anyone heard anything about how widespread the Ditto errors are in DP? If they're few and far between, then it could be a problem with how the game is being (ab)used rather than an issue with the game itself. *coughGamesharkcough* If that's the case, it's not Nintendo's fault; in fact, it should be expected. So, what's the word?

Charles Legend
20th January 2007, 01:28 AM
here are a few I did so far....

Naetoru= Naetle (Nettle Turtle)
Hayashigame= Tearush (Terrapin Bush)
Dotaitos= Contoise (Continent Tortoise)

Hikozaru= Monimp (Monkey Imp)
Moukazaru= Monench (Monkey Wrench)
Goukazaru= Monking (Monkey King)

Pochama= Pringuin (Prince Penguin)
Pottaishi= Penking (Penguin King)
Enperuto= Emptune (Emperor Neptune)

I well think of more later

~Charles Legend

Phoenixsong
20th January 2007, 11:44 AM
There's waaaay too many Pokémon with the prefix/suffix "king" in their names. I doubt those, although the rest seem interesting. Another note: Diaruga's English name is now confirmed to be Dialga; Parukia's is officially Palkia. Whoot. Go see el Pokémon.com for teh detailses.

Chris 2.1
24th January 2007, 03:47 PM
We also have Mantyke. I like it.

I predict:

Megayanma: Yanmega.

Jeff
29th January 2007, 12:19 AM
It's weird coming back here and finding three of the pokemon I guessed at were revealed. Not so weird though that all three were wrong :P. Ok, I came up with a more creative Lefia guess: Foleon from "foliage", similar to Leafeon but more creative. I also think the English name of Giratina will be Guillatina. Another prediction of mine is that Fione will stay as Fione as a nod to Fiore, rather than being based off of Manaphy's name.

Phoenixsong
29th January 2007, 06:35 AM
I dunno... the whole Giratina/girasol thing seems a bit too convincing, as does the fact that Nintendo has never really changed the names of the legendaries. I mean, Guillotina isn't that different, but... I mean... no, the girasol/opal thing just seems too likely. (And personally, I just like Giratina better.)

PikaJames2004
25th February 2007, 01:17 PM
And we now have Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup as the starters.

Shuppet Master
5th March 2007, 06:14 PM
More official names:

Greggeru(that frog Pokemon that Charles Legend has punching Brock in the butt in his animated sig): Croagunk

Fuwaraido(that ghost/flying balloon): Driftblim

The pre-evolved form of Chansey: Happiny

Jeff
5th March 2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, those are already known. Them and others have been revealed here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15419) (this is basically the name guessing thread). Oh as for Piplup/Pochama, it seems some sources are saying one thing others are saying the other, apparently both names have been confirmed :confused:.

Phoenixsong
5th March 2007, 10:10 PM
No, it's Piplup. Pokémon.com says so.

Jeff
14th March 2007, 05:47 PM
For all of those who have been sleeping under a rock all day, here (http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/newpokes.shtml) is the full list of English names. So were any of your guesses right?

For me:
Skuntank (nailed it! everyone else was guessing Skutank)
Leafeon
Glaceon

Phoenixsong
14th March 2007, 06:03 PM
Riolu was right, as was Togekiss. :) And Leafeon. I don't think I got any others, though...