PDA

View Full Version : Diamond vs. Pearl

Poryhedron
13th December 2006, 10:02 PM
Now, some people choose a Pokémon version based entirely on the colors, and if that floats your boat, good for you. Other people, however, prefer to make more informed decisions.

So, when March rolls around and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl become available in the Western World, which version will you be taking home? To help answer that, I'd like people who've been keeping on top of the news (and maybe even playing Japanese versions) to provide here a list of differences between the two games. Giving the subject its own topic here will make this info easier to find.

Obviously the list of version-exclusive pokémon applies here, but what other differences might there be? Things as small as Porygon's different prices in Red and Blue, or things as major as Team Magma and Team Aqua in Ruby and Sapphire...enlighten us!

Perfect Chaos
13th December 2006, 10:35 PM
Well, I won't be buying Diamond or Pearl when its released because quite frankly, I don't want to buy a DS.

However, IF I did own a DS, I think I would end up buying Diamond rather than Pearl.

In terms of version-exclusive Pokemon, Diamond gets Scyther/Scizor, the Tyranitar line, the Aggron line, and the new Headbutting Fossil Pokemon, whom I think is a WHOLE lot better than its counterpart.

And the other thing that also caused me to pick Diamond over Pearl is of course the Legendaries. I like Diaruga's typing a whole lot more than Palkia's, cause a Steel/Dragon mix doesn't really have any weaknesses to anything (not even Dragon itself since I believe Dragon is weak against Steel, thus making it normal damage to a Steel/Dragon type).

But other than those aforementioned features, I don't believe there is much else that is so significantly different between both versions

Blademaster
13th December 2006, 10:40 PM
I like Diaruga's typing a whole lot more than Palkia's, cause a Steel/Dragon mix doesn't really have any weaknesses to anything.

Fighting and Ground attacks are still lethal to Dialga.

Perfect Chaos
13th December 2006, 11:03 PM
Ah, that is true, never thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out Blade

DarkestLight
14th December 2006, 07:51 AM
Hrm. See, I'm the person that pre-orders both copies, and gets them both so I can trade all of them to one version and sell the other one back later.

However, I'm looking forward to Diamond rather than Pearl, because from some reason, I seem to always pick the type that no one in my group of friends would pick. I also appreciate Diamond more for one aforementioned reason {T-tar Line and Rampard Line, oh yes Pachycephalosaur r0xx0rz!!)-

However, there doesn't seem to be much more information available that I could make subtle difference about-I'd need someone who's actually played the games to post some stuff up -.-

...Aside from me borrowing a Leaf Green and Sapphire cart...yeah, can't think of anything else....

Pokemaster Ash
15th December 2006, 09:51 PM
Well I've never been one to shy away from some real fun.

I'm going to get both versions. This is mostly due to the version-specific Pokémon, but also the fun in seeing in which version I can make a better team or pick the better starter in.

To show how nuts I am, I do own the entire 3rd gen (Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald (in which I am REAL close to getting a full National Dex)) and I WILL use them for the unlockable Pokémon as well as for transferring in the old starters (I have a real fun plan for how to get them) and Legendaries (thank you Emerald for your cloning glitch...). It's gonna be a really fun time...

Andrew
16th December 2006, 02:14 AM
I'm going to get pearl for the Misdreavus fun I so dearly want!

Jeff
16th December 2006, 03:28 PM
For everyone getting both just for the version-exclusives, there's always the Global Trading Center. Personally, I'd like Diamond for the easier access to more of my favorites; T-tar, Aggron, Donkrow (I've always liked Murkrow), and Steel/Dragon seems like a pretty cool type combo, can't wait to wipe the floor with the E4 :P.

Pokemaster Ash
16th December 2006, 06:29 PM
Not everyone with D/P is gonna have a wifi network readilly accessible (depite various places all over the place having hot spots). Besides, it feels better to put the effort into catching them all on your own (sometimes with perhaps some *ahem* special assistance in some special cases).

I kinda like the fact that, depending on how you play, it's possible to get almost everything in D/P alone. Couple of version-specifics here and there, but ultimately the only ones truly inaccessible are the old starters and legendaries, plus certain legendaries that you must get with those damned Event items. At least they put a little more thought into these items and didn't just make a ton of ship tickets again, but still...

Charles Legend
18th December 2006, 09:18 AM
I plan to get both Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl....

infact I got my teams mostly planed out....

Diamond team:

Dotaitos Male Atlantis (Grass/Ground)
Floatsel Male Tails (water)
Rapidash Male Charlie (Fire)
Lucario male Sirius (fighting/steel)
Sukatanku male Pepe LePew (Posion/Dark)
Chatot (Perap's English name) male Cracker (Normal/Flying)

Pearl team:

Goukazaru male Punisher (Fire/fighting)
Gyarados male Rage (Water/flying)
Masukippa male Vid (Vine) (Grass)
Weavile male Vil Hoz (Vile sickle) (dark/Ice)
Rentoraa male Simba (electric)
Donkarasu male Shadow (Dark/Flying)

~Charles Legend

Perfect Chaos
18th December 2006, 09:55 AM
If I were to get Diamond, I guess my team would be:

Enperte (M) [Water/Steel]
Rentoraa (M) [Electric] <---wish his Sp. Atk was a bit higher though
Victreebel (M)/Leafia (F) [Grass/Poison]/[Grass] (not sure about this one so might need advice on choosing a Grass-type)
Heracross (M) [Bug/Fighting]
Banette (M)/Yonowaaru (M) [Ghost]/[Ghost]
Donphan (M)/Glion (M)/Gaburaisu (M) [Ground]/[Ground/Flying]/[Dragon/Ground]