PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy

Blademaster
13th December 2006, 10:37 PM
Well, we need one of these, now, don't we?

OK, so we've known that the Wii would feature an initial kick-ass Mario platformer for awhile now - it's just how Nintendo works. Every new system gets a new kick-ass Mario platformer:

NES - Super Mario Bros.
SNES - Super Mario World
N64 - Super Mario 64
Game Cube - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy

Now, I'm sure we all know the basics of this game, so I'll skip that - really, I'm starting this thread because I have a question:

WHEN IS THIS GAME COMING OUT?!!?

According to 5 different sources (Wikipedia, IGN, Gamestop, Gamefaqs, and my friend Ray), Super Mario Galaxy is coming out on this date:

-The end of 2006
-February 2007
-March of 2007
-May of 2007
-Christmas of 2007 (Please, God, no... T_T)

Which is it? Please, someone give me a straight answer... :(

-Blade

Roy Karrde
13th December 2006, 10:40 PM
Well I doubt the end of 2006 since it would kind of be out by now or on the verge. Same with Feb, and March. The two reasonable dates would be in May, just around E3 Time and the time that the big Summer Video Game slow down starts. Or the Christmas Season of 2007 which could be as soon as September.

My Guess would be say May or April in Japan, and Christmas season in the U.S.

Blademaster
13th December 2006, 10:55 PM
Shigeru Miyamoto himself has guaranteed that SMG will be released no later than 6 months after the launch of the Wii - which was a month ago. Five months leads me to believe May of 2007 is the upper limit and that Christmas of 2007 is reserved for the Japanese release date (Though I thought that this game originated in Japan? Unless some moron accidentally typed the release date as 12/31/07 instead of 12/31/06...).

So, while I think either March or May is the most likely, I can't prove it; that's the whole problem. I'm looking for a definite answer.

PNT510
14th December 2006, 12:29 AM
I saw a interview not to long ago that said it would between Metroid Prime 3(early 07) and SSB:B(late 07). I think that'd put it someone in the summer or spring maybe.

Heald
14th December 2006, 05:51 AM
Every new system gets a new kick-ass Mario platformer:

NES - Super Mario Bros.
SNES - Super Mario World
N64 - Super Mario 64
Game Cube - Err...pass
Wii - Super Mario GalaxyCorrected.

Jeff
14th December 2006, 08:24 AM
SMG hasn't been released yet? Let her out!

Seriously though, first thing, Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source so if there's one source we should rule out it ought to be that one. Don't get me wrong, I love the 'pedia but I have written for it and through all the bias, edit wars, and vandalism, I know whatever you read in it should be taken with a grain of salt. Christmas '06 is too early anyway, they would have announced the exact date by now. Also, Christmas '07 sounds late, my guess would have to be May.

Heald
14th December 2006, 12:25 PM
SMG hasn't been released yet? Let her out!

Seriously though, first thing, Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source so if there's one source we should rule out it ought to be that one. Don't get me wrong, I love the 'pedia but I have written for it and through all the bias, edit wars, and vandalism, I know whatever you read in it should be taken with a grain of salt. Christmas '06 is too early anyway, they would have announced the exact date by now. Also, Christmas '07 sounds late, my guess would have to be May.On Wikipedia:

All sources should be taken with a grain of salt. Wikipedia falls under much larger editorial scrutiny than any newspaper. For a popular article, there are hundreds of people checking and editting it everyday, whereas newspapers only have one person or a few people performing editorial procedures.

Blademaster
14th December 2006, 02:41 PM
Heald,

On Wikipedia:

All sources should be taken with a grain of salt. Wikipedia falls under much larger editorial scrutiny than any newspaper. For a popular article, there are hundreds of people checking and editting it everyday, whereas newspapers only have one person or a few people performing editorial procedures.

Thank you.

2. Without getting into a ginormous argument, can I just ask why you crossed out Super Mario Sunshine from the list?

Heald
14th December 2006, 04:18 PM
Sorry, should've made it more clear. You referred to Super Mario Sunshine as a "kick-ass Mario platformer" and I do not believe it is deserving of the description "kick-ass". It was an alright game, as good a game as any other graffiti-removing simulation is, I just don't believe it did the series any merit.

Blademaster
14th December 2006, 06:00 PM
Well... I think it was better than just 'alright,' but I will agree with you that it's probably the least 'revolutionary' game on that list...

EDIT: Fixed the list. That any better?

Roy Karrde
19th December 2006, 06:18 PM
You know, guys I was right, infact I was close to being right if this rumor is true from CandVG.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152528?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes

Mario and Metriod are pushed back to this time next year, and Zelda around the same. The only real validity to this rumor I see, is one it is Computer and Video Games, and they are pretty reliable, and two we really havnt seen much in the way of Mario or Metroid.

Heald
19th December 2006, 06:33 PM
^ - Some asshole who commented on that story you linked to is whining that the lack of games on the Wii at the moment means it lacks any future. Gee, only 8 or so launch titles? I was expecting, like, 30. Idiot.

Blademaster
9th January 2007, 03:40 AM
OK, fellow Mario fans and people waiting for this game to come out so the Mario fans will shut the Hell up about it already, we may finally have a release date.

As many of you know, Mr. Miyamoto has not given a specific release date yet for SMG, but he has assured us that the game will definitely be out within the first 6 months of the Wii's launch:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707709p1.html

So, the latest release date that we can expect is likely somewhere in mid-May, about the same time summer begins for us college students. Woot.

Now, several other sources around the net have information as well. First, Wikipedia (OK, everyone in this thread except maybe Heald please feel free to skip over this one.) has recently put up an expected US release date of sometime in February:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Galaxy

I'll admit, this one seems doubtful, but it would be very nice if it were true. You never know.

Now, more likely and more reputable is this article from Gamestop, which has given a somewhat tentative yet still quite possible release date of - of all days - April 1st:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=T000229

Unless this is an elaborate (and in-poor-taste) April Fool's joke, we may have a winner.

Finally, would seems to be the most reputable (and most confident) source, Amazon.com, has announced that the game's release date is set for March 30th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Super-Mario-Galaxy-Wii/dp/B000E6DYZ8

Just to clarify, this is NOT the date pre-orders are going to start being accepted. Pre-orders are already being accepted; March 30th is the RELEASE DATE.

Now, I see that this is for the UK before anyone bothers pointing that out, but if this is true, then Wikipedia may not be that far off after all: SMB, SMW, SM64, and SMS all came out in Europe AFTER they came out in the U.S., so a UK release date of March/April may mean a February release date after all...

So, what have we got?

It is currently mid-January; release dates for the US have been speculated to be sometime in February, UK release dates have been estimated for March/April, and the upper limit of a release date is May.

Hmmm... Easter, maybe?

Heald
9th January 2007, 12:02 PM
Now, several other sources around the net have information as well. First, Wikipedia (OK, everyone in this thread except maybe Heald please feel free to skip over this one.) has recently put up an expected US release date of sometime in February:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Galaxy

I'll admit, this one seems doubtful, but it would be very nice if it were true. You never know.Its basis for a March 2007 release date is a quote by Reggie saying that it will be released in between March 07 and December 07, so whoever editted that in as the current prospective release date is a moron, unless they actually give a better, more definate source.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to this at all. It will probably be a good game, but Mario has never really appealed to me. I have completed all the SMBs, plus the 64 and Sunshine games, but only because they were so easy anyway. The bits I most enjoyed about 64 and Sunshine were the Bowser stages and Warp Cave stages (respectively), since those really put your skills to the test, but the rest of the time it was doing some easy task for a star. I hope this time they put the 'Super' back into Super Mario, since Mario without the FLUDD in SMS was completely useless. Seems a bit weird that Mario was a lot tougher, agile, and generally better in SM64 than he was in SMS. Bring back the fire flower and the Mushrooms I say.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
25th January 2007, 06:55 AM
I'm looking forward to this. I have liked at least Mario 1, 3 and 64 very much (but definitely not Sunshine since he couldn't fly!). I think it is good that the games aren't too difficult (though I heard that Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 is very hard). Instead, you can enjoy the atmosphere, graphics and artwork without always having to look out enemies' moves.

Blademaster
25th January 2007, 12:07 PM
I heard that Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 is very hard

You heard correctly - known as 'Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels' outside of Japan (or at least in the U.S.), that game was probably the toughest Mario game ever. Getting through all the way to the end on the first try was virtually impossible, even for a skilled player - that's why it saved after every level in Super Mario All-Stars whereas SMB 1, 2, and 3 all saved after every world. You do the math. :eek:

Back on topic, though, the Galaxy Q1 release date for Europe doesn't seem to have changed yet. This might be a good sign, but the impending release of a bunch of other big games - amongst those, the super-controversial Super Paper Mario coming out this April - raises a red flag for me. Hmmm.....

PNT510
25th January 2007, 03:05 PM
What's so controversial about Super Paper Mario?

Blademaster
25th January 2007, 07:17 PM
Random thought: Aren't you the guy from the Picture Topic who looks like Benny Hill...?

What? Uh, never mind. :heh:

Well, nothing is really controversial about the game anymore, but over the past few months, a lot of debate has been circulating as to whether this game will be a 2-D platformer or a 3-D RPG (turns out it'll be both - go figure :P), as well as whether it'll be a Wii title or a GameCube one (The answer to that one has yeilded some very ugly results, believe me. :eek:). That's all I meant.

Blademaster
9th May 2007, 11:41 PM
OK, this MIGHT be necroing, but Hell, it's my topic, and I'm sure that sooner or later this thread will come in handy, especially if I'm right here.

IGN has given a European release date of June 1, 2007:

http://wii.ign.com/objects/748/748588.html

Could this be the truth? Is Super Mario Galaxy only a month away? If so, the U.S. version can't be THAT far behind...

Any thoughts...?

Alucard
10th May 2007, 04:24 AM
Here's hoping Europe actually gets it this time unlike Super Paper Mario, which im still pissed about.

PNT510
10th May 2007, 09:53 AM
OK, this MIGHT be necroing, but Hell, it's my topic, and I'm sure that sooner or later this thread will come in handy, especially if I'm right here.

IGN has given a European release date of June 1, 2007:

http://wii.ign.com/objects/748/748588.html

Could this be the truth? Is Super Mario Galaxy only a month away? If so, the U.S. version can't be THAT far behind...

Any thoughts...?

It's not true. Metroid, Mario, and SSB will not be out till late summer at the earilest. Also if it was gonna be out in just a few weeks you'd hear about it everywhere.

Blademaster
14th July 2007, 12:20 PM
OK, it's *finally* happened.

After over a year of wondering, waiting, and wishing, a release date has been confirmed:

Super Mario Galaxy hits shelves in the United States on November 12th, 2007. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803354p1.html)

I must say, waiting another 4 months after all this time doesn't make me very happy, nor does finding out that this game is being developed by the Donkey Kong Jungle Beat team (That game sucked, IMO.), but at least now we finally know.

Any thoughts? I'll be marking the days on the calendar myself until it comes out... :sweat2:

Roy Karrde
14th July 2007, 05:52 PM
"Mario and Metriod are pushed back to this time next year, and Zelda around the same. The only real validity to this rumor I see, is one it is Computer and Video Games, and they are pretty reliable, and two we really havnt seen much in the way of Mario or Metroid. " <- What I said Decemeber of last year.

Wow I am actually pretty damn good in predicting it. Anyway congrats on Nintendo for finally pushing it out. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Drago
14th July 2007, 11:23 PM
OK, it's *finally* happened.

After over a year of wondering, waiting, and wishing, a release date has been confirmed:

Super Mario Galaxy hits shelves in the United States on November 12th, 2007. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803354p1.html)

I must say, waiting another 4 months after all this time doesn't make me very happy, nor does finding out that this game is being developed by the Donkey Kong Jungle Beat team (That game sucked, IMO.), but at least now we finally know.

Any thoughts? I'll be marking the days on the calendar myself until it comes out... :sweat2:
Jungle Beat team's not my bag, baby. I'm nervous now, the game won't suck, but it won't be a Mario 64 beater in my estimate. Pre-judgemental I know, but that's the way I'm feeling.

Unsolved Puzzle
16th July 2007, 12:45 PM
did u watch G4s E3 coverage, they said when it released buy i wasnt paying attention

www.g4tv.com

Blademaster
22nd August 2007, 11:06 AM
OK, seriously, why is this thread getting so few visitors? This is quite probably gonna be the game that dethrones Super Mario 64 as the greatest game of all time, and it is going to be released in less than three months!

So, come on, gang - surely there must be some stuff to talk about!

For instance... the suits. It has been confirmed that a Bee Suit and a Boo Suit will appear in the game... But what else? In addition to the basic power-ups, Mario platformers have always had extra power-ups in groups of three:

Super Mario Bros. 3: Tanooki Suit, Frog Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit
Super Mario World: Red Yoshi, Blue Yoshi, Yellow Yoshi
Super Mario 64: Wing Cap, Metal Cap, Vanish Cap
Super Mario Sunshine: Hover Nozzle, Turbo Nozzle, Rocket Nozzle

And that's excluding more basic/game-centered stuff like the Raccoon Leaf, the Cape, Yoshi, FLUDD...

So, what else do you expect to see as far as power-ups go in SMG?

PNT510
4th September 2007, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see the Koopa shell Mario from the DS game on Galaxy.

Blademaster
11th November 2007, 11:15 PM
This is it, gang... Galaxy has been out for just under 2 weeks in Japan, and it's already sold somewhere around 300,000 copies.

And now... Today, the game is released in North America. U.S., Canadian, Mexican, Caribbean, and Central American gamers rejoice.

I would be out at the nearest Gamestop right now beating some shithead up for a copy, but since I'm a weakling, I preordered it and instead have to wait another 2 days to play it. So, if you wanna share your opinions on this game and have played it, let us know what you think. But please mark spoilers: I already accidentally discovered on Wikipedia that... (ULTIMATE SPOILER AHEAD!!!!)

...obtaining all the Stars unlocks Luigi as a playable character.

(ULTIMATE SPOILER ENDS HERE!!!!!!) So, please, mark major spoilers like bosses, unseen-so-far levels, Princess Rosetta's role in the game, the true villian, etc..

Thank you. :wave:

~Blade

PNT510
12th November 2007, 12:46 AM
I've only got like $30 in my bank account until friday. I don't know if I will be able to wait that long!!!! Well I will be able to wait that long it's just gonna stink.

Blademaster
12th November 2007, 11:02 PM
OK, so in my excitement, I forgot that today was just the SHIPPING date. The game will be in stores tomorrow. Kindly disregard my last post and add it here, kthanx. :sweat2:

Oh, and enjoy, gamers. I know I will. :wave:

~Blade

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
13th November 2007, 12:51 AM
I so hope this game is nothing like Marion Sunshine, the only Mario game ever that I didn't bother to even finish. Well it's being released this week in Europe, so I guess I soon know for myself.

PNT510
13th November 2007, 03:46 PM
OK, so in my excitement, I forgot that today was just the SHIPPING date. The game will be in stores tomorrow. Kindly disregard my last post and add it here, kthanx. :sweat2:

Oh, and enjoy, gamers. I know I will. :wave:

~Blade

Well in your defense some stores get the games in later Monday night. I use to pick up all my new releases the day before they came out at the gamestop I use to shop at.

Blademaster
13th November 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, PNT. But my Gamestop isn't exactly the most elaborate of Gamestops. >>

Oh, and Alex, derail that train wreck of a train of thought right now, bub. I got Galaxy today and have been playing it for the past 2 and a half hours. It is stunning. The graphics are smoother and more polished than crystal, the gameplay is simple yet challenging, the controls are the most responsive I've ever seen in a 3-D Mario game, and the sound is amazing.

Oh, and something that folks like Heald will love: This game is HARD. If you get hit three times, you're dead. There's 1-UP's everywhere, but the bosses I've seen so far can eat them up Hella-fast, as can the hard-as-fuck 1st Star of the third galaxy you unlock.

The only gripes I have with the game so far is that the music has degraded a bit from the trailers, Mario's voice is kinda screwed up at some points (especially the intro), and the control-camera orientation can be awkward at points, especially when you're on small, multi-sided planets like where you find the second Star of the first galaxy.

Overall, this game is just what I expected it to be, and I've barely scratched the surface yet. There's way more to come. So stay tuned...

~Blade

PNT510
14th November 2007, 04:04 PM
I stumbled upon some money I didn't know I had so I was able to pick it up. I've been playing it tons. I've got 27 stars and just beat the 3rd boss stage.

The game has been amazing so far. Very interesting level design of course. The game is more difficult than I thought it would be, but it's a nice challenge. There are only a few parts that made me angry, most of the time the game just makes you wanna try harder and master it.

There are a couple of downsides. I can't get Mario to do short jumps very well. I find myself jumping over Goombas more often than on them. Also like most 3D platformers there are some camera issues, nothing too bad though. Much better than having to wrestle with the camera and the water pack in Super Mario Sunshine.

Starry Might
16th November 2007, 02:30 PM
A little while back, I played "Super Mario Galaxy" at Super Wal-Mart (they've actually got a Wii kiosk set up in the Garden section along with PS3 "Rock Band" one and a XBox 360 "Scene It" ones!). Good stuff. :)

Blademaster
17th November 2007, 01:21 AM
Well, I've beaten the 'bare minimum' of the game; lemme tell ya, the ending is pretty impressive. And very deep for a Mario game: I had to replay it just to understand what had happened.

Now, I'm going for every Star; I've unlocked all but a few Galaxies, which are going to be the hardest ones yet, I can tell.

Also, some of the later Galaxies are pretty amazing in terms of challenge and epicness. As much as I hate to spoil anything, keep an eye out later on for a boss by the name of 'Kingfin.'

Freaking. Awesome.

Houndoom_Lover
17th November 2007, 08:27 PM
You finished the game already, lovebug? Wow! That's impressive- you're such a good gammer. I wish I could have got the blow by blow play from you.

It's on my list to get -sighs-

Blademaster
18th November 2007, 12:07 AM
Well, Houndsy, I can still give you the play-by-play later if I'm around...! ^^;

I just hope I don't spoil anything... >>

Houndoom_Lover
18th November 2007, 10:55 AM
Don't worry, I like being hold what to expect on a veido game- I buy the walkthrough guides from Beckette when I have left over books funds.

^-^ I hope you are around! I don't want to have to wikipedia it before I hear you about it ^_^