PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet Thinger

Alucard
31st December 2006, 12:54 PM
So I got a new laptop for Christmas. It's a HP something-or-other with Wi-Fi built in and some other spiffy dodads. It also came with this router box thing.

I'm not all that computer literate so I need somebody to tell me what to do. My PC is Windows XP Pro SP2 and the Laptop is Windows XP Media Center. Does that make any difference or help with anything?

I wanna be able to connect to the internet with my laptop but using Wi-Fi. Is that possible? Do I have to LAN it with my PC or anything? and can my Wii connect to it too?

mr_pikachu
31st December 2006, 01:54 PM
Well, you can only connect using Wi-Fi when you're in a "hotspot," or an area in which a wireless network has been configured to work with all computers that have Wi-Fi capabilities. Your home probably doesn't have that (although if you're in a college or something of that nature, then it may be available).

In that case, unless you want to find a coffee shop, airport, or some other hotspot every time you want to log on, you should go ahead and hook up your computer as you normally would. The difference being that whenever you go out, you can unplug the computer and take it with you. If you find a hotspot, you can use the net even when you're not at home.

And in terms of Wi-Fi, the features you mentioned shouldn't make much of a difference for regular use. Unless you have a problem with your settings, Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi. It should work even if you're running on DOS - although I wouldn't recommend it.

Alucard
31st December 2006, 02:50 PM
I dunno how to set wi-fi or anything up. I plug the router into my pc and turn my laptop on, and it finds the connection but I can't connect or anything.

I dunno how to set the router or anything up.

classy_cat18
31st December 2006, 07:10 PM
Ahem. Perhaps I can help.

In order to have WiFi, you must first have an existing Internet connection (DSL or broadband) on a "host" computer. Then connect your Internet and "host" computer to the router using the directions that came with the router. Now everything within a certain radius that can connect to the Internet wirelessly (laptops and other PCs with wireless cards, DS, Wii, etc.) can connect to the Internet.

Hope that helped!

Alucard
1st January 2007, 02:04 AM
My router came with no instructions or anything. So I need help/advice setting it up :/

mr_pikachu
1st January 2007, 02:13 AM
In that case, we'll probably need the router brand and model names. I think certain things can vary between them, and it'll make giving specific instructions easier anyway.

Alucard
1st January 2007, 03:27 AM
The router thing is a Belkin Wireless G+ Mimo Modem Router. I could take a pic if it helps? XD

mr_pikachu
1st January 2007, 04:31 AM
I believe this guide (http://setup.belkin.com/guide.html) should help you.

By the way, some of your components may be part of the computer itself. (For instance, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you probably have an internal rather than external modem based on the newness of your laptop.) In such cases, you can probably ignore the steps that ask you to connect those pieces of hardware to your computer.

Hope that helps. If not, well, just post again and we'll work from there. ^_^

Alucard
1st January 2007, 05:36 AM
That guide gets me so far then I get stuck. The part about configuring IP address and DNS things. It says to use the same address for both DNS thingers, but I get an error box that pops up saying they can't be the same.

mr_pikachu
1st January 2007, 03:24 PM
Hmm... yeah, they shouldn't be the same, as far as I know. Let's see here...

If the option is selectable, try changing from "Use the following DNS server addresses" to "Obtain DNS server address automatically." It's worth a shot. If that doesn't do it, you could always try entering some fake numbers for the alternate DNS address and hope that the primary one never has problems. Although I can't say that'd be the best way to run things.

For the time being, you may want to see if you can just have the computer select the server address automatically. Just make sure you copy down the current addresses first in case something goes wrong.