PDA

View Full Version : Wifi - Free Internet?

Alucard
8th January 2007, 04:10 PM
So my laptop has a built in wifi card, I don't know the tech specs or details or anything like that.

When I'm at my grandparents house, I can look for networks and it comes up with some. I gather it's from people in that area with wireless internet? but anyway, after playing about with some settings, I can connect to that network then jump online through internet exploror for like free internet.

I tried to do this at home and it comes up with wireless networks just like at my grandparents, but instead the networks listed have a lil padlock and ask for some sort of network code in hexidecimal or something when I try to connect.

Does it mean it's a locked network and there's no way to access it? or is there a special code that I can find online that will unlock it no matter what network it is?

OR is what i've been doing at my grandparents illigal? lolz~

The Blue Avenger
8th January 2007, 04:12 PM
Some people have security on their wireless networks - the little padlocks mean you have to have a password, just like if you were trying to log into someone else's email account or something. If someone doesn't have any security measures, then you can just use their networks.

I dunno if it's illegal, per se, but my logic is that if they can't be bothered to put any security on their networks, then they can't complain if someone else is using it.

Elec Man EXE
8th January 2007, 04:21 PM
Purely from a judicial standpoint, I believe it is illegal to leech of someone elses wireless connection. It'd be like grabbing an extention cord and plugging it into your neighbors outlet to power your own stuff, without their permission. They're paying for it, not you. If they found out, they could probably take you to court and win.

That said, it is there fault for not protecting the connection. But if it goes to court, the fact of the matter is that your stealing from them, and whether or not they should have better security doesn't mean that you should be doing it.

Probably a much better idea not to do anything like hooking into another persons connection. If you need to do that, then try and find a free wireless hub (do they still have those? at cafe's and whatnot? I dunno :p)

Heald
8th January 2007, 04:31 PM
Yes it is illegal.

Echoing previous comments, the padlock means it has a password. Older routers or generally crap ones lack passwords automatically, meaning simpletons who don't realise that people can use their network and potentially hack into their computer will leave their networks unsecure.

The risks of you illegally using someone else's wireless is that often the router will keep a record of who logged on and when, though whether or not it can track you down as the owner of the laptop is another question. However, using an unsecure wireless connection can also leave yourself open to hacks.

Example - my next door neighbour has a horrible wireless connection without a password, but I don't hack into his, I simply use my own router. Much faster and safer.

mr_pikachu
8th January 2007, 04:48 PM
It's not always old routers that cause the problems; I think a lot of people set up systems without passwords nowadays just because they can't be bothered to remember one and they don't know the security risks.

Since you are leeching from their bandwidth, Alucard, I believe it would be illegal; actually, the internet company might have a legitimate complaint if the system is only supposed to be used by people within the household. However, it's not something that is generally pursued in court. I've been on smaller lakes before and seen people riding around in boats with laptops, looking for a connection.

It's illegal, but hardly a major offense. Still, I'd advise avoiding such activity, if only from a moral standpoint.

Elec Man EXE: From what I've heard, there are still internet hubs in various places. My father claims he often uses his laptop in the airport, and I assume other areas like coffeeshops and the like still have them. It's just a matter of going to certain places and finding out for yourself.

Jeff
8th January 2007, 10:09 PM
Actually, we recently set up a hotspot at my work, I think they are actually becoming more common since people want to be able to take their laptops around and connect to the Internet from nearly anywhere.

Dark-San
10th January 2007, 06:48 AM
Its illegal to hop and using other people's bandwidth. We got a case here whereby someone just sue a 17 year old for using his wireless network. The case is still ongoing but the maximum penatly is some months in prison if he is proven guilty.