PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Wisdom Teeth = ARGH!

Starry Might
16th January 2007, 02:26 PM
Around Halloween last year, I started to get a bad toothache. After a few days, me and my parents went to a dentist, where I had X-rays taken and the area of the pain cleaned out. Turns out my wisdom teeth (which I thought had come in normally years ago - silly me, unfortunately... :() are bothering me, and have to come out.

In early December, me and my Mom went to a consultation at an oral surgeon's office. Indeed, they do have to come out - and they're impacted badly. The oral surgeon thinks that teeth straightening (i.e. braces) I had when I was younger is the culprit.

Since the consultation, I've been nervous about the extraction. They're gonna put me to sleep for the procedure (this actually isn't the first time I've had general anesthesia in my life: When I was 3-years-old, I was put to sleep to get my teeth fixed), and there's a risk of either a hole in my sinuses (which can be fixed if that's the case) or numbness in my mouth from the tooth rubbing or nicking a nerve in my jaw as it's being removed (the oral surgeon told me that 95% of the time, that's temporary). Despite reassurance from my parents and relatives, I'm still nervous (which is normal, right?). :(

In light of all this, and with the removal procedure so close, I'd thought I'd make a poll about wisdom teeth:

(1) Do you have your wisdom teeth still, or not?

(2) If not, when where they removed?

(4) Were you given general anesthesia?

(5) How long was it before you were back to your old self again?

My Answers:

(1) Yes, but only for one more week.

(2) They'll be removed January 23rd.

(3) They will when they do it.

(4) The first week, I'll have to take it easy to recover from the actual oral surgery. I'm worried it'll take at least two months before I can eat normally again.

mr_pikachu
16th January 2007, 02:50 PM
Hooray, a new poll! It's been too long.

They're gone. Weirdly enough, the molars next to them are still only about halfway developed...

It was probably around five years ago. If I remember correctly, they removed them early for some reason.

(3) Were you given general anesthesia?
I never like to be put under or given laughing gas. Painkillers are enough.

(4) How long was it before you were back to your old self again?
I was out of it for about a week. During that period, every meal was macaroni and cheese, and every snack was ice cream. Yum! ^_^

Lady Vulpix
16th January 2007, 03:31 PM
This poll isn't exactly fair. Look.

(1) Yes, I do.
(2) N/A
(3) N/A
(4) N/A

The_Missing_Link
16th January 2007, 03:36 PM
I got my bottom ones out in high school but I suspect my top ones will be removed either this year or next year. I was nervous at first but they put me under and I didn't feel a thing. The recovery process lasted a week and it wasn't all that bad but I was annoyed when I thought I had food in my mouth and tried to get it out with my tongue only to realize that the stitches were the culprit

Pichu Luver
16th January 2007, 04:52 PM

Nope dun't have 'em. Mouth was too small to fit them, although I had three instead of four. You know what's odd? They didn't hurt at all when they were coming in. Though the bottom right was sideways (my luck lol) and wasn't really going anywhere. Along that line I'm missing two permanent teeth cause I just didn't have room (did I mention my mouth was small?). Let's just day the dentist/orthodontist love me --'''''''.

Last March they were taken out. Just in time for March break (I only missed a few days).

Heck yeah. I do NOT like dentists (not any person really, just the whole thing of dentistry). After having six to eight teeth taken out of my skull, no we are not the best of pals . . . Let's just say I resembled a vampire much of my youth (the cotton balls you have in your mouth when you get teeth taken out were canine shaped) That part I found funny . . . But for wisdom teeth, no way in heck was I staying awake. Oo'''

Um 'bout a week and a half. Although I slept most of the first day cause I got Tylonal Three the second I was home, (right after drinking something). Ya know before the freezing wore out. I was zonked lol.

midnightangel
18th January 2007, 04:49 PM
I have my two lower wisdom teeth. Due to the fact I have a small mouth (my mom would disagree on that hehe :P) the top two wisdom teeth never came in

I was having problems with the bottom two teeth and they were supposed to be removed a few years ago, but I had scheduling difficulties (favoritism to other staff members by the scheduler) and never got the procedure done. In fact, the wisdom teeth started to feel better and have been ever since

I was also supposed to also have another procedure done a month after the wisdom tooth extraction, but never went back either *shrugs*

I think the dentist was going to give me some pills the day of surgery and set me up with an IV with more medication--of course the procedure never got done

N/A See above

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
19th January 2007, 05:47 AM

1) I used to have all four wisdom teeth. They came out perfectly and without any complications when I was around 18.

2) Well, one of them (top-right one) pretty much broke off. It got a filling at one point but it broke out with much of the teeth. Since I only tend to go to the dentist when the tooth aches I left it at that and over the years it broke out more and more. Nowadays you can't see the tooth anymore, all that remains of it is in the gum.

3) n/a

4) n/a

Magmar
19th January 2007, 07:44 AM

Got 'em removed, 30 Dec. 04

Oops, I psychically foresaw this question.

No, laughing gas! Wee!

About a day, honestly. Thank you vicadin

SupremeChampion
21st January 2007, 09:13 PM
1.) Yes, i do in fact still have my wisdom teeth. all 4 actually, though 2 i think are only like half through.
2.) well, i've been thinking about getting them removed, since they do hurt periodically, so we'll see on that one.
3.) if i got my teeth taken out, i don't want to be numb, i want to be unconscious lol... i want to be knocked out and not wake up for at least a half hour lol
4.) haha well i'm guessing it depends... my sister was in fact had an allergic reaction, and she was messed up like all day. so if i'm allergic to it, i'm guessing about a day. if its like everything else, i should be fine in a few hours... i generally don't feel side-effects from medicine for that long.

~The Italian Stallion

Inferno_Dragon
20th February 2007, 01:43 PM
I still have my wisdom teeth. I have been planning to get them pulled out but things come up. The bad part is some of them are growing in slanted and really really need to be pulled out. I don't know when they are going to pulled out but I hope very very soon.

Jeff
26th March 2007, 10:14 PM
Hey a wisdom teeth poll, *counts on fingers* yup, still postable, here goes.

Gone, all four taken out at once.

Summer of '05

(4) Were you given general anesthesia?
I was out cold, thank God.

(5) How long was it before you were back to your old self again?
I was pretty doped up for the rest of the day, but was back to normal by the next day. I was back on solid foods after about a few days or a week (I forget). I still remember the first solid thing I ate after that though, a chicken sandwich at Wendy's, boy did it taste good despite it being fast food :P

Dark Scizor
25th April 2007, 03:27 PM
Yep.

Can't answer the rest.