PDA

View Full Version : DP English names. (Wow, no one saw that coming).

Phoenixsong
20th January 2007, 11:45 AM
Well, my dears, it's official. Pokémon USA has decreed today that the D/P legendaries' names will be...

*drumroll*

*a snare drum rolls across the floor*

*shot for lameness*

Dialga and Palkia.

Just the literal romanizations, nothing fancy. Then again, with a scant few exceptions (the first three legendary birds), that's what they've done with all of the legendaries. Myuutsu>Mewtwo, Myuu>Mew, Rugia>Lugia, Houou>Ho-Oh, Rekkuza>Rayquaza, you get the idea. Serebii's also gone and announced it, but if you want to say it in Ninty's own words, head to the official website and click on the Diamond and Pearl button beneath the main-Flash-thing. It also has the confirmed US box art, as if we weren't expecting it to look like that, anyway.

Thoughts?

...Oh, yeah, and you can go get the Manaphy code now, if you wants it. Whee.

Jeff
20th January 2007, 08:42 PM
Dialga doesn't surprise me but Palkia? My predictions were Diaruga or anything containing "Dia" and Pearlkia, Pearlkia fits with the version name and is more similar to Parukia than Palkia. I guess we'll all get used to those names.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
21st January 2007, 11:56 AM
As far as I know Palkia has its name from the japanese word for "pearl" so it's fitting. Maybe the critter will get a more fitting english translation later on. I'm not too fond of how those two Pokémon look, yet another dog like Pokémon and one that resembles some kind of dragon or godzilla. Admittedly their body structure fits their names well though.

Chris 2.1
21st January 2007, 01:49 PM
Tamanta is also revealled to be Mantyke.

I think it's brilliant!

Blademaster
21st January 2007, 02:17 PM
Mantyke? Boo... XP

I still say Mantwerp was a better name. ;)

mr_pikachu
21st January 2007, 02:24 PM
I would be upset about the lameness of the name "Mantyke" (ugh!), but I honestly can't think of anything better. I guess the lesson is that it was a really unnecessary Pokemon to begin with, especially since it hardly had any change from the original besides a size downgrade.

As for Dialga and Palkia... they're romanizations of the original names. Since that's the trend for legendary Pokemon, I won't complain.

Blademaster
21st January 2007, 02:55 PM
I would be upset about the lameness of the name "Mantyke" (ugh!), but I honestly can't think of anything better.

-Mantot
-Inmant
-Manroe
-Mantiny
-Mintine
-Fantine

And, of course...

-Mantwerp

:D

mr_pikachu
21st January 2007, 03:30 PM
Mantot - One "tot" (Chatot) this generation is enough for me.

Inmant - Is this supposed to signify "infant"? For some reason it makes me think of a preying mantis... I think outright saying "tyke" is better for the comprehension factor.

Manroe - Roe? Manroe? Sounds oddly like a name (Munroe, maybe?), and Hitmonchan/lee are about the only ones I can accept. Plus, what's the Roe mean?

Mantiny - This is just aesthetic, but Mantyke appeals to my ear slightly more than Mantiny. Two syllables vs. three, you know? Has a crisper feel.

Mintine - I don't like mints. ^_^

Fantine - See, I don't drink Fanta. I usually just go for generic sodas.

In short, while I don't like the name, I think it has more to do with me not liking the Pokemon. Again, Mantyke sounds better to me than any idea I've had or heard - even though I can't say I particularly like it.

Relevant meaning + Decent aesthetics + I have no better ideas = A lack of complaints.

The Blue Avenger
21st January 2007, 03:35 PM
Plus, what's the Roe mean?

I'm guessing roe as in fish eggs. That's clever, but it looks like 'man roe', which I absolutely don't want to think about.

Jeff
21st January 2007, 08:00 PM
Mantyke huh? *Sigh*, bring on Leafeon! :rolleyes:

Jeff
27th January 2007, 12:46 PM
Ok, considering this is pretty much the "reveal new names thread", the English name of Buoysel has been revealed by Serebii to be Buizel.

Phoenixsong
27th January 2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I saw... not too bad, I suppose. I certainly like it more than some of the others, that's for sure.

Starry Might
30th January 2007, 02:28 PM
I learned about Dialga and Palika in my latest issue of "Nintendo Power", and I learned about Mantyke and Buizel on Serbeii last night.

I like the first three aforementioned names (especially "Mantyke"), but I think "Buoysel" is a better name than "Buizel". Oh well, I'll get used to it. :)

-Mantiny
Hey, I came up with that name for Mantyke, too! I guess great minds think alike, huh? ;)

Starry Might
5th February 2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.undergroundnotes.com/wkett/starrymightspics/bump.gif

Sorry for the bump, but I was just at Serebii, and according to it, the English name of Elekible (the Electabuzz evolution) will be "Electivire".

I'd just thought you all should know this. :)

Elec Man EXE
5th February 2007, 02:49 PM
Hmm... Electivire is kinda wierd, but I like it. I had my money on Elekable, but I like 'vire better.

I didn't get the reference to wire until I read the Serebii page myself, though. So at first I was like WTF.

Chris 2.1
5th February 2007, 03:34 PM
It also sounds like 'electrifier'. I like :)

Jeff
12th February 2007, 11:45 AM
It's happening... (http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=17404)

Apparently a buttload of names has just been revealed via some pokemon toys that are on display at some toy expo. Go to the thread linked above to see some of the names. Personally I love Glameow and Carnivine, pretty clever.

Edit: It seems the names are also on serebii.

Chris 2.1
12th February 2007, 12:03 PM
These are good.

Neatle: Turtwig (ehh)

Hizomonkeyfirething: Chimchar (meh)

Pochama: Pochama (huzzah!?)

Masukippa: Carnivine (mint!)

Nyarcatthing: Glameow (whee!)

Small rabbit: Buneary (yipee thats a good one!)

ssj4supernerd
12th February 2007, 12:24 PM
Carnivire owns, Chimchar en Turtwig suck.

Elec Man EXE
12th February 2007, 01:26 PM
Carnivine is awesome. Buneary is just wierd, Chimchar is the lamest name ever (has no flow whatsoever, its just 2 words stuck together pratically). The rest are OK, I guess.

Saffire Persian
12th February 2007, 02:15 PM
Giameow XDXD..

I see no creativity in most of these... at all... XD

"GIA MEOW!" XD

*dies*

The Blue Avenger
12th February 2007, 02:21 PM
SP: It's Glameow, not Giameow. I think it makes a bit more sense that way. :P

I also am puzzled that Pachirisu is apparently staying Pachirisu. Really bizarre.

Starry Might
12th February 2007, 02:29 PM
Whoa, lots of new names! :o

Turtwig = Fine. :)

Chimchar = Okay. (I was thinking "Charimp", myself.)

Pochama = I liked the Japanese name, so I'm glad it's intact. (Somebody at Bulbagarden thought Pochama should have been named "Rainguin", though...that's actually a good idea for a name, too - too late now, of course :P)

Starly = Fine.

Pachirisu = I'm with Hypotenuse Man...huh? :confused: (It's fine if they keep the Japanese name, though...maybe they're treating it like Pikachu. :))

Buneary = Fine.

Glameow = Cool! :D

Carnivine = Cool! :D

That's all. :)

Perfect Chaos
14th February 2007, 09:52 AM
Apparently, at Serebii (http://serebii.net/index2.shtml), there is some speculation that Pochama's English name might actually change, now to "Pipiup". Now onto my opinion of some of the names

Turtwig: Eh, I think its kinda average, kinda lame but kinda isn't. Reminds of "twit" when I hear it for some reason

Chimchar: I have to agree with Elec Man on this one, its pretty lame. I don't feel the flow of the name as I say it. Seems too obviously run-on.

Pochama/Pipiup: This just plain indicates to me that Nintendo REALLY is running out of ideas on names. I mean either "Pochama" (original Jap. name) or "PIPIUP"? I'm liking "Rainguin" more and more now.

Starly: I guess it fits, but doesn't mean I like it much.

Kricketot: S'ok, has some flow to it I guess

Spinx (Not 100% confirmed): I got this name off of Serebii (www.serebii.com). Makes no sense whatsoever to me, so hopefully, its not going to be the confirmed name

Shieldon: Works

Pachirisu: I'm not too surprised that they kept this as its name (don't know why I'm not, but I just am)

Buizel/Floatzel: Man, they should've just kept the original names, made alot more sense than replacing the "s" with "z" instead.

Buneary: Don't know the theory behind this, so can't really say anything about it

Mantyke: Works I suppose

Carnivine: Very sick name, I like it. I like it alot

Electivire: See Carnivine

I hope the Magmar evo gets a wicked name too. Then I'll be happy :D

-Sean

classy_cat18
14th February 2007, 11:25 AM
Ten bucks says they change Pachirisu's name to something really lame. The same way they decided at the last minute to change Pochama to Piplup.

Jeff
14th February 2007, 11:40 AM
Buneary: Don't know the theory behind this, so can't really say anything about it

Alright, I'll let this explain it

bunny
+
ear

bunn y
ear

buneary

Pretty clever I think, and it fits. Personally I like Chimchar, it sounds like it would apply to a hyper monkey (not sure about Chimchar's personality though)

Perfect Chaos
14th February 2007, 12:03 PM
Alright, I'll let this explain it

bunny
+
ear

bunn y
ear

buneary

Pretty clever I think, and it fits. Personally I like Chimchar, it sounds like it would apply to a hyper monkey (not sure about Chimchar's personality though)

Ahh, I see it now. Yeah, I suppose that does work

As for Chimchar, I haven't seen any of the anime episodes with the 4th gen, so I guess its a wait and see for now.

Chris 2.1
14th February 2007, 04:47 PM
Spinx = spark and sphinx. I think its very suiting.

And I read SPP to say Pochama was called Piplup, which is a sort of noise the rain makes. Piplup. Piplup. Piplup.

Lady Vulpix
14th February 2007, 05:20 PM
Is Pinlup confirmed yet? And Spinx and Snelios?

Perfect Chaos
14th February 2007, 07:20 PM
Spinx = spark and sphinx. I think its very suiting.

And I read SPP to say Pochama was called Piplup, which is a sort of noise the rain makes. Piplup. Piplup. Piplup.

Hmm...I think Sparinx would be better, but that wouldn't make too much for a difference.

Piplup...that seems pretty ambiguous for it to be its name

Starry Might
15th February 2007, 02:17 PM
Apparently, at Serebii (http://serebii.net/index2.shtml), there is some speculation that Pochama's English name might actually change, now to "Pipiup" [sic].
Really? :o (*CHECKS SEREBII*)

Hmm. Well, "Piplup" is okay with me. :) We'll see which one's right.

As for the other names, I saw them the other day on Serebii:

Kricketot: Fine.

Spinx (if that's what it is): Okay.

Shieldon: Good.

Floatzel: Fine. I'm glad they Romanized this one's name more that Buizel's. :)

Chris 2.1
15th February 2007, 05:36 PM
Lady V: Not 100% confirmed no. Shieldon is confirmed I think.

Jeff
17th February 2007, 11:01 AM
Snelios/Shelios is now confirmed to be Shellos

Charles Legend
18th February 2007, 12:08 AM
Pip is the name of a contagious poultry disease... and lup is a misspelling of ploop which is poop wich is a wet excrement, thus Piplup name is a pun on contagious poultry diseased that is spread by bird Poop and is a refence to the bird flu out brake... :lol:

You most likly did not see that one coming did you? And no I am not at all disrespecting Piplup,
I just find it funny that NOA would make a refecence to the bird flu using a Starter Pokémon and one that is going to be on the main cast in the Ainmé... ;) so I think they did a grat job with Piplup's name... :D

~Charles Legend

Chris 2.1
18th February 2007, 05:42 AM
I knew it.

The Blue Avenger
18th February 2007, 10:31 AM
I read at another site that it may be "from piscean (fisherman) and plup. In which case it is a direct translation."

Which I'm more inclined to believe.

Chris 2.1
18th February 2007, 01:27 PM
I prefer Charles bird-flu-excrement-parody idea.

Charles Legend
18th February 2007, 05:19 PM
ok so I did some more research in to Piplup's name and
piscean

Pis is from the Latin word pectus which mes Chest, pip is a dot on a domino in other words a spot, cean is short for ocean, Plup is the misspiling of plump....

so yeah I guess it was not a Pun on the bird flu after all but then again it dose show us that NOA ether did not know about Pip being a the name of a contagious poultry disease... but thing again they may have but dismayed it hopping no one would know that... ;)

~Charles Legend

Chris 2.1
18th February 2007, 05:55 PM
If Pip comes from Pectus then surely Cat comes from Catastrophe. OMGZ0R all cats will explode!

Starry Might
21st February 2007, 02:24 PM
If Pip comes from Pectus then surely Cat comes from Catastrophe. OMGZ0R all cats will explode!
:eek: WE'RE DOOMED! :eek:

;)

Anyway, more names have been confirmed by Serebii! :D

Bippa (the Normal beaver) = "Bidoof"

Korinku (the Electric cat) = "Shinx"

Subomi (the Roselia pre-evolution) = "Budew"

Fuwaraido (the Ghost-Flying hot air balloon-like bird) = "Driftblim"

Pinpuku (the Chansey pre-evolution) = "Happiny"

Scorpi (the Poison-Bug scorpion) = "Skorupi"

Gregguru (the Poison-Fighting frog) = "Croagunk"

Chris 2.1
21st February 2007, 02:52 PM
Eh I preffered the other ones -_-

Bidoof: what was wrong with Bippa?

Shinx: I liked Spinx x_X

Subomi: Budew - Me rikey very much

Driftblim: WHAT!?

Happiny: Yer its ok. Pronounced like Happily?

Skorupi: How do I pronounce that? Skor-U-Pi? Skor-up-ee?

Croagunk: Change it to Croalurk -_-;;

Ho-oh2001
21st February 2007, 04:37 PM
Huh... so Skorupi's Japanese name is less Japanese than his English name. I didn't see that one coming.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd February 2007, 05:21 AM
Scorpi (the Poison-Bug scorpion) = "Skorupi"

Hm, I think when we write Scorpi in katakana it become Su-ko-ru-pi or something. Is the Japanese name used here the 'offical' romanization? If not, I'm a bit critical - I have never liked Serebii's romanizations, to be honest. That's mainly because I'm Finnish and our pronunciation is more, should I say... logical... *dodges tomatoes* than yours.

Jeff
22nd February 2007, 09:00 PM
Also Rozureido is Roserade.

When I was trying to figure out Budew I guessed it would be Budlia and that Roserade's English name would also end in lia. Eh, these names work too.

Charles Legend
23rd February 2007, 09:54 AM
Cherimu is now called Cherrim... ;)

~Charles Legend

Starry Might
23rd February 2007, 02:10 PM
Hm, I think when we write Scorpi in katakana it become Su-ko-ru-pi or something. Is the Japanese name used here the 'offical' romanization? If not, I'm a bit critical - I have never liked Serebii's romanizations, to be honest. That's mainly because I'm Finnish and our pronunciation is more, should I say... logical... *dodges tomatoes* than yours.
To be perfectly honest, I was (and still am) confused about that Pokemon's English name. :-/

Also Rozureido is Roserade.
Cool! :D

Cherimu is now called Charrim... ;)
It's spelled "Cherrim" at Serebii. Anyway, I like this one, too.

Oh, and I like "Shellos", as well. :)

Crystalmaster Mike
23rd February 2007, 04:32 PM
Dialga, Palkia, Electivire : I think these names sound a bit weird, I have to bend my mouth in weird angles to pronounce these names.

Turtwig, Chimchar : At first, it was weird to think of 'Naetle' as 'Turtwig', for example, but the more you think about it, the more these names grow on you.

The same goes for all the other names: I suppose that when they all will have been revealed, they will be as common to us as, say, Ditto.

Lady Vulpix
25th February 2007, 10:52 AM
Probably so.

I'm updating all the AC/CC pages with this info, so thanks for keeping this topic up. :)

PikaJames2004
25th February 2007, 01:23 PM
"Is Pinlup confirmed yet?"

Yup. Check the April Nintendo Power or the Pokemon web site for more info.

Lady Vulpix
25th February 2007, 02:58 PM
And how exactly can I get ahold of that?

mr_pikachu
25th February 2007, 06:23 PM
Nintendo Power Website (http://www.nintendopower.com/home)

From here, click "Current Issue" and then "Creature Features." You'll have to squint a little to see Piplup's name, but it's there on page 74.

Lady Vulpix
25th February 2007, 08:05 PM
Ah, thank you. :)

Phoenixsong
8th March 2007, 11:14 PM
For those of you who have not checked Serebii as of late, Piplup's final evolution--Enperuto, Enpeturo, Enpelt or Emperte being the various versions of its Japanese names--has been named Empoleon. This is a juxtaposition of the words "emperor" and "Napoleon", and also possibly "polar". Now, I personally don't think it's the greatest, but it is fairly creative. What do you all think?

Chris 2.1
9th March 2007, 07:19 AM
I love it! Sounds a bit like Polio but its still good!

Perfect Chaos
9th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Also recently confirmed on Serebii.net, the names for Turtwig's two evolutions have been revealed to be: Grotle (derived from Grow and Turtle) and Torterra (derived from Tortoise and Terra).

I'm thinking Grotle is pretty lame, but Torterra sounds pretty sweet. Empoleon is not that bad either I suppose.

-Sean

Starry Might
9th March 2007, 02:09 PM
More English names, huh?

Empoleon: Pretty cool (no pun intended :P ;)).

Grotle: Okay.

Torterra: Pretty cool. :)

EDIT: Hey guys, I was just at Serberii, and I learned more names!

Moukazaru (Chimchar's first evolution) = "Monferno"

Goukazaru (Chimchar's second evolution) = "Infernape"

Pottaishi (Piplup's first evolution) = "Prinplup"

Driftblim is actually called "Drifblim" (no "T").

Bunyatto (Glameow's evolution): "Purugly"

Sukatanku (the final form of the Skunk Pokemon) = "Skuntank"

Phoenixsong
9th March 2007, 03:40 PM
Grotle could also stem from "grove", as Grovyle did. Now.

Grotle: Eww. It doesn't sound too terrible, but I think it would have looked more appealing with the W in it.

Torterra: Pretty awesome, actually... I think it's the best out of all the new starter family names. I am reminded of "Tortuga" from Pirates... which is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you.

Monferno: I can live with it, yes. Better than the choppy-sounding Chimchar.

Infernape: Meh. Big meh. Monferno is better. I suppose "inferno" was as close as they could get to "hellfire", so eh. Blademaster's "Pyrhesus" was better.

Prinplup: Ugly, please. Lose the second P.

Empoleon: I already said what I thought, but I will say it's the second best after Torterra.

Drifblim: No comment. It's weird, but I don't particularly care.

Purugly: Choppy, to say the least, and a bit pseudo-offensive to people who might really like it. It is accurate, however, and funny. This goes near the top of my list of "Awesome DP Quirks" along with female Wobbuffets wearing lipstick.

Skuntank: Most people were already guessing "Skutank", so it's not far off. I kinda like it.

AND NOW! After checking Serebii for meself just now, four FIVE more names have come out.

-Mukubird/Mukubaado is now Staravia, from Starling and Avian. Eh, a bit effeminate-sounding, but sorta clever.

-Mukuhawk/Mukuhooku is now Staraptor, from Starling and Raptor, obviously. It's simplistic, but it sounds cool.

-Biidaru/Beadull is now Bibarel, from Beaver (misspelled) and, apparently, Barrel. It doesn't look that barrel-like to me, but whatever.

-Korotokku is now Kricketune, from Cricket (misspelled) and Tune. Meh. Doesn't matter, as I don't like the thing anyway.

*new!* -Skunpuu is now Stunky, from Stinky and Stunky. Erk, a bit too cutesy for me.

Starry Might
12th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the new info, Phoenixsong. :)

Staravia = Cool!

Staraptor = Cool!

Bibarel = Okay.

Kricketune = Fine.

Stunky = I was expecting "Skunpew" (a Romanization of its Japanese name). Oh well, this one's okay.

Oh, and while I was typing this reply, I popped over to Serebii, and they got a couple more names!

Buuburn (the Magmar evolution) = "Magmortar"

Agunomu (one of the Legendary Psychic trio) = "Azelf"

Phoenixsong
12th March 2007, 04:11 PM
Azelf? Azelf?! Really?! Awesome! My elf obsession lives! MWAHAHAHAHA! If only it had pointy ears, too *sigh*

EDIT: After checking Serebii for myself, I noticed what they mentioned: Azelf's name isn't a romanization (which would have been Agnome). A legendary? With no romanization? Blasphemy, blasphemy! Burn them like the witches they are!

(I like Azelf better than Agnome, though.)

Blademaster
12th March 2007, 05:55 PM
Magmortar?

AWESOME. Too bad it's so ugly... -.-;;;

Perfect Chaos
13th March 2007, 10:28 AM
Magmortar huh? I suppose I can live with that. I was actually pulling for Magmannon (forgot who suggested that in the first place).

We have more new names! The evolution for the new random fish Pokemon that came out (its a mix of colors of dark blue and light blue) is now known as Lumineon a mix of "Luminate" and "Neon". As a weird ring to it, but I don't care much about it to begin with lol

The other Pokemon, the Electric/Ghost Pokemon, keeps its Japanese romanization and will forever be known as Rotom. Eh, whatever on my part

Hopefully more to come!

-Sean

Phoenixsong
13th March 2007, 02:30 PM
I think Magmannon was my idea... but someone else may have suggested it somewhere else, too. Wow, someone else thought my idea was cool, heh. I can deal with Magmortar, though.

Lumineon and Rotom, huh? Whatever. Nothing special here.

Jeff
13th March 2007, 11:29 PM
One of my guesses was right! (Skuntank) Although I thought Stunky would have been Skunpu.

I'm liking alot of these names, especially Torterra and Empoleon (which has grown on me quite a bit). Bring on more!

Crazy Elf Boy
14th March 2007, 04:10 AM
I think the names of the pokemon names of Diamond and Pearl are really bad, all i care is that the game is good. I am really regreting not buying a copy in Japan, but it would have been in japanese and i dont have a DS :). I still think that they could have done better with the names, like Turtwig wtf I read some where the english translation was Neatle to me that makes a lot more sense. If you have heard about the plant called the stinging nettle its like
Nettle + turtle = Neatle

Jeff
14th March 2007, 11:52 AM
Ladies, gentlemen, and pokemon of no gender, I am pleased to present you with THE LIST (http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/newpokes.shtml). Every single English pokemon name has been leaked, so Serebii decided to reveal the whole list today. Oh and long story short, alot of the new evo names, not so great (Tangrowth, Rhyperior, Leafeon). And yes I think everyone and his brother called Leafeon and Glaceon.

mr_pikachu
14th March 2007, 01:27 PM
...What guarantee do we have that this is a legitimate list and not merely a fabrication designed to attract attention?

I know that sounds cynical, but I've learned to be a skeptic in "early leak" situations. Especially when Serebii is involved.

Starry Might
14th March 2007, 02:13 PM
*LOOKS AT SEREBII'S LIST OF NAMES*

Wow.

I'll just comment on the truly confirmed ones for now. :)

Lumineon: Pretty good. :)

Rotom: Fine.

Gastrodon: Fine (even though it sounds like it's related to digestion :lol:).

Magnezone: Fine.

Bastiodon: Pretty good. :)

Togekiss: Fine.

Jeff
14th March 2007, 02:36 PM
Interesting point there. Yeah Serebii isn't the most reliable of sources, but he has claimed to have an inside source that has given him all the names, and he's also been the first to accurately release alot of them. So seeing as how he's surprised/annoyed at the leak (which happened on GameFaqs) and that he then posted the whole list, there's a chance these names could be the real deal. But then again with most of the names simply being either the Japanese names or something that sound like something fans would have come up with (I'm looking at you Leafeon and Glaceon), there's also a chance that they might not be the names.

Personally I'm leaning to the side that says they are. Mostly because if Serebii did know the names then then these must be them, and if he didn't, he must be pretty convinced that these are real to pretend that they are real. The rest I guess is just me hoping that we really do have all the names now.

Edit:

Gastrodon: Fine (even though it sounds like it's related to digestion ).
Yeah thought the same thing here. :P

Phoenixsong
14th March 2007, 02:39 PM
...Did anyone else cringe when they read the words "Honchkrow", "Bronzong" and "Garchomp"? The hell was wrong with Donkrow?! I mean, I get it, and it's sort of clever, I suppose, but... ugh. That name just does not flow at all. Donkrow pwned, the end.

Lickilicky makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Oh, and I am angry that there is no letter "I" in Glaceon. Glacieon looks much better. Please let that be a misspelling.

Perfect Chaos
14th March 2007, 03:40 PM
Ahhh...too...many...to...comment...on...@_@

-Sean

Lady Vulpix
14th March 2007, 05:38 PM
And now... the randomizers and stats calculator are complete!

Lickilicky made me laugh too. And I agree that Donkrow sounded better than Honchkrow, and Leafeon and Glaceon were what everyone expected. I like the name Mismagius.

Gnight
14th March 2007, 06:46 PM
I didn't even know Serebii had the whole list and was keeping it from us. And why does Joe Merrick know all this in the first place?

DarkestLight
14th March 2007, 08:17 PM
Saddened. These names suck. No growing factor here either.

LiclyLicky is the best name on there, followed by Chingling. That's just funny.

I mean for pete's sake, they call it ARCEUS now. UGH!

Umm and wtf@Magnezone? Naa, Magnet +Magnetic Zone? Naa that's just unflowable.

Oh well, we got what we got. Time to make up new names. So naming my "Spiritomb" - Spiritbomb. n_n Just cause that was damned funny.

Charles Legend
14th March 2007, 09:19 PM
...What guarantee do we have that this is a legitimate list and not merely a fabrication designed to attract attention?

I know that sounds cynical, but I've learned to be a skeptic in "early leak" situations. Especially when Serebii is involved.

>>..... Dude take a Chill Pill, Serebii Joe is Only human and like the rest of us can make mistakes about stuff evry once in a while; Now then with just under a liitle over month to go before the Us release of DP I think its safe to say that thes are the real English, because if I not mistaken we had all the 3rd Genraion names about a month or so before Ruby and Saphire came out!

Ahhh...too...many...to...comment...on...@_@

Oh really now....

Turtwig: I like it.
Grotle: I can live with it.
Torterra: I Like it.
Chimchar: Monkeys on fire are Cool.
Monferno: Monkeys on fire are Cool.
Infernape: Monkeys on fire are Cool.
Piplup: The Spoiled Brat of a contagious poultry diseased penguins :lol: J/K
Prinplup: The Prince of a contagious poultry diseased penguins :lol: J/K
Empoleon: The Emperor of the contagious poultry diseased penguins :lol: J/K
Starly: Avrage.
Staravia: Avrage.
Staraptor: Avrage.
Bidoof: Stupid Beaver. :lol:
Bibarel: Stupid Beaver stuck in a Barrel. :lol:
Kricketot: Is fine.
Kricketune:Is fine.
Shinx: Shine + lynx; I like it
Luxio: Lux + Lion; I like it
Luxray: Lux + Ray; I like it
Budew: is fine.
Roserade: is fine.
Cranidos: I like it.
Rampardos: I like it.
Shieldon: it's ok.
Bastiodon it's ok.
Burmy: is fine.
Wormadam: is fine.
Mothim: is fine.
Combee: not bad.
Vespiquen: not bad.
Pachirisu: is fine.
Buizel: is fine.
Floatzel: is fine.
Cherubi: looks tasty. :yum:
Cherrim: looks tasty. :yum:
Shellos: is fine
Gastrodon: Slug Mafia boss; cool... ;)
Ambipom: I can live with it.
Drifloon: is ok.
Drifblim: is ok.
Buneary: cute.
Lopunny: Cute.
Mismagius: is ok.
Honchkrow: it works.
Glameow: is ok.
Purugly: is ok.
Chingling: is fine.
Stunky: is fine.
Skuntank: is Fine
Bronzor: is fine.
Bronzong: is fine
Bonsly: is fine
Mime Jr.: is fine
Happiny: is fine
Chatot: I like it...
Spiritomb: is fine.
Gible: I can live with it
Gabite: I can live with it
Garchomp: I can live with it
Munchlax: is fine.
Riolu: I knew it... I like it.
Lucario: I like it.
Hippopotas: is fine.
Hippowdon: is fine.
Skorupi: is fine
Drapion: is fine
Croagunk: Avrage
Toxicroak: Avrage
Carnivine: it's fine.
Finneon: it's fine
Lumineon: ii's fine
Mantyke: it's fine
Snover: it's fine.
Abomasnow: it's fine.
Weavile: it's fine.
Magnezone: is an ok name.
Lickilicky: it's an ok name.
Rhyperior: it's fine.
Tangrowth: it's fine.
Electivire: it's fine.
Magmortar: it's fine.
Togekiss: it's fine.
Yanmega: it's fine:
Leafeon: I like any one who dose not can bite my ass... :keke:
Glaceon: I like any one who dose not can bite my ass... :keke:
Gliscor: it's fine.
Mamoswine: Instesting...
Porygon-Z: it's ok.
Gallade: it's ok.
Probopass: it's ok.
Dusknoir: it's ok.
Froslass: it's ok.
Rotom: it's ok.
Uxie: it's ok.
Mesprit: it's ok.
Azelf: it's ok.
Dialga: it's ok.
Palkia: it's ok.
Heatran: it's ok.
Regigigas: it's ok.
Giratina: it's ok.
Cresseria: it's ok.
Phione: it's ok.
Manaphy: it's ok.
Darkrai: it's ok.
Shaymin: it's ok.
Arceus: it's ok.

~Charles Legend

Jeff
14th March 2007, 09:24 PM
So naming my "Spiritomb" - Spiritbomb.

So I'm guessing that will go on the same team as Porygon-Z. Eh I guess that joke doesn't work quite as well as it would have without the hyphen.

I was also a bit perplexed by Arceus untill I realized it came from archangel + Zeus, but it still looks awkward after having seen Aruseus for so long. Oh well, I made the Deokinishu -> Deoxys transition, I'll get used to this as well.

Phoenixsong
14th March 2007, 09:35 PM
Eh, Charles, I believe that Shinx comes from "shine" and "sphinx", not lynx. Seeing as how the spelling matches and sphinxes are all leonine and all that. But eh.

mr_pikachu
15th March 2007, 01:11 AM
>>..... Dude take a Chill Pill, Serebii Joe is Only human and like the rest of us can make mistakes about stuff evry once in a while; Now then with just under a liitle over month to go before the Us release of DP I think its safe to say that thes are the real English, because if I not mistaken we had all the 3rd Genraion names about a month or so before Ruby and Saphire came out!

Well, feel free to scrap the Serebii part of my question if it sounds biased. (Frankly, I am a little biased just because of past experience, but there's more to my point than "I don't like Serebii!")

Even if we can trust them, can we trust their source? Think of it this way... would you rely on information that originated from the friend of a friend of a friend? It just doesn't seem sound to me, especially when it's something that people aren't even supposed to know yet. (After all, didn't they say it was a "leak"? Sounds a little sketchy.)

To be frank, the list is probably legitimate. But I'm going to hold judgment until we get confirmation that's a little more official.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th March 2007, 06:11 AM
Azelf? Azelf?! Really?! Awesome! My elf obsession lives! MWAHAHAHAHA! If only it had pointy ears, too *sigh*

EDIT: After checking Serebii for myself, I noticed what they mentioned: Azelf's name isn't a romanization (which would have been Agnome). A legendary? With no romanization? Blasphemy, blasphemy! Burn them like the witches they are!

(I like Azelf better than Agnome, though.)

I don't know if I got your message right, but, for example, Articuno is referred in some offical sites as 'Freezer', not 'Furiisaa' or something.

Phoenixsong
15th March 2007, 12:49 PM
...I don't quite follow you. My point was that, for example, Rayquaza's Japanese name is Rekkuza, which more or less romanizes back to Rayquaza; this is the case with almost all of the legendaries. Articuno's name, Furisaa, romanizes to Freezer. Freezer =/= Articuno. That's what I was saying happened here with Azelf.

Ash_of_pallet_town
15th March 2007, 02:09 PM
To be honest I really don't care what they name the new pokemon. I just want the game to come out already.
I mean I'm glad they have names and all but they aren't really that important. Don't get me wrong I just mean that names aren't really that much to me. Not to say they don't need names but just wait for the game or atleast all of them to come out.

Lady Vulpix
15th March 2007, 03:37 PM
It seems like all of them have come out. That's what we've been discussing here.

Ash_of_pallet_town
15th March 2007, 10:27 PM
Then I must apologise for as far as I knew only about 100 of them were out. but I still stick to my" Their names dont really matter that much" statment.

Crazy Elf Boy
16th March 2007, 06:07 AM
After reading this I also have my two cents on the stupid pokemon names

Good

-Roserade (mmm Powerade)
-Chingling (hehehehe funny)
-Gible (Good name for a dragon pokemon lol)
-Rhyperior (Yay for Superior Rydons)
-Leafeon (Two words, BOUT TIME)
-Azelf (Yay for the elves)
-Arceus (Absol on steroids)

Bad

-Hippopotas (Needs way better name)
-Toxicroak (Poison+frog=lame)
-Abomasnow (Hmm wonder where this is from?)
-Lickylicky (..........)
-Yanmega (Plz fire the guy who came up with this)
-Porygon Z (THERE IS TOO MANY PORYGONS)
-Regigigas (Now thats just silly)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th March 2007, 05:50 AM
...I don't quite follow you. My point was that, for example, Rayquaza's Japanese name is Rekkuza, which more or less romanizes back to Rayquaza; this is the case with almost all of the legendaries. Articuno's name, Furisaa, romanizes to Freezer. Freezer =/= Articuno. That's what I was saying happened here with Azelf.

Now I think I got it. You mean that Azelf is not even close to a romanization, it's a different word actually. And then, on the other hand, we have Mew, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Celebi and so on. I agree.

By the way, I don't see any names with Finnish meanings this time!!

Phoenixsong
17th March 2007, 10:04 AM
...Were there ever any with Finnish meanings? I don't know Finnish, so I wouldn't know.

Jeff
17th March 2007, 12:20 PM
This thread (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15446) has them.

I was a bit surprised to see the fairies change their names, although I think I saw the name Uxie somewhere before the English name revelation.

DarkestLight
17th March 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah that Hyphen kills the joke, but I still get it.

Man if this keeps up I'll have a whole DBZ squad with legitimate references by Gamefreak themselves. XD

Starry Might
19th March 2007, 07:04 PM
Is it okay to mention the English names of the human characters in here?

I'm asking this 'cause I just learned on Serebii that the default English name of the female player character in "Diamond/Pearl" is "Dawn".

Serebii was talking about the Anime instead of the games (incidently, Shinji is now known as "Paul"), but he said that this name matches the in-game default for her, and that he has been dropping this name in his updates for the last couple of weeks.

Jeff
19th March 2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah it makes sense, considering we now have all the pokemon names, this thread wouldn't get much activity otherwise. *Is wondering how long it takes for someone to post "OMG NO WAY! THEY BROKEDED THE M PATEREN!!!11"*

Phoenixsong
19th March 2007, 08:27 PM
OMG NO WAY! THEY BROKEDED THE M PATEREN!!!11

...Yeah. Dawn. Not bad, but it makes one wonder what Kouki's name will be. Dusk? Night? Hey, maybe they could call him "Knight"... that would be awesome, if not fitting in the slightest.

No, wait... his name would be something relating to "space", then, wouldn't it? Eh, I got no guesses on that.

Ash_of_pallet_town
19th March 2007, 08:40 PM
Well try Keven(Comit) or Matt(Mettior) or Seth(Wait That Dosn't Work). Just some to think on.

mr_pikachu
20th March 2007, 01:38 AM
They could also pull a Kris/Chris scenario like they did in Crystal and make it Dawn/Dan. Or something.

Phoenixsong
2nd April 2007, 12:49 PM
For future reference, all the people-names are apparently out now. Personally, I think that a few of THESE are a lot more to complain about than "Garchomp" or whatever. Gardenia and Roark... *sob* Those are going to be a pain to say. At least "Bugsy" is a real name... Gardenia? She doesn't even look like a Gardenia! If Gardenia was actually a name!

...Some of the other names, however, are actually not bad at all. Lessee:

Heroine/Hikari- Dawn (as we knew)

Hero/Kouki- Lukas (possibly a play on George Lucas? Hey, they did it with Sabrina. But yeah... "Dawn" has to do with time, and "Lukas", if we're talking about George, has to do with space. There we go, I was right.)

Hyouta (Rock Leader)- Roark (*twitch*)

Natane (Grass Leader)- Gardenia (*convulse*)

Sumomo (Fighting Leader)- Maylene (I... have no idea)

Makishi (Water Leader)- Crasher Wake (maybe he IS a luchador, I dunno)

Merissa (Ghost Leader)- Fantina (it's SUPPOSED to be "phantom". Sounds like a soda to me.)

Tougan (Steel Leader)- Byron (iron. Not bad.)

Suzuna (Ice Leader)- Candice (ice)

Denji (Electric Leader)- Volkner (too similar to Falkner. They could have, at the very least, not made up another word--Gardenia, ugh--and used an actual name like "Voltaire". Then again, if they did that I'd have to change my gym leader's name, wouldn't I?)

Ryou (Bug Elite)- Aaron (your guess is as good as mine. Ant, maybe? I can't think of an appropriate insect...)

Kikuno (Ground Elite)- Bertha (just like everyone knew it would be... o.O)

Ooba (Fire Elite)- Flint (like, fire-sparking-rock-stuff. It's gonna be interesting when Brock meets this guy, heh. Or the anime could be boring as usual and leave the Elites out again. Bah.)

Goyou (Psychic Elite)- Lucian (as in "light")

Shirona (Champion)- Cynthia (um. Anyway.)

...and a whole bunch of other people whose names either didn't change or else I don't care about. Though it will be odd withdrawing Pokémon from "Bebe's PC" from now on. Hmm.

mr_pikachu
2nd April 2007, 02:01 PM
As usual, I'm gonna ask what the source was. Aren't I helpful?

Comments...

Dawn - Decent enough.

Lukas - Same as above. Also sounds kinda like "lunar," if we're comparing dawn to dusk. Sorta. Kinda.

Roark - Meh. More creative than Roxanne, but it looks a little dumber.

Gardenia - I actually really, really like this one. Reminds me of Gardenia from the .hack games.

Maylene - Umm... is it a play on Meilin from Cardcaptor Sakura? *shrugs* Decent, but it doesn't stand out.

Crasher Wake - This sort of reminds me of Lt. Surge, with the atypical name structure. I'll have to wait and see.

Fantina - Hmm. Sounds more like a fun-loving person than a run-of-the-mill Ghost enthusiast to me. If she turns out like Phoebe, it'll fit. An Agatha-type character with this name will make me wince.

Byron - Ooh, a classy name. Reminds me of Lord Byron, a famous poet from the Romantic period. I've got a good feeling about this one.

Candice - Ehh, obvious pun. It's not bad, but it's not that good, either.

Volkner - Hrm, I didn't make the Falkner connection until I read your post. Still, seems like a very off-the-wall name. We'll see.

Aaron - I feel like I should know this, but all I can think of it "Aron." Still, decent enough name.

Bertha - Sounds like a fat joke. Not that it's a bad name, but they probably could've done better.

Flint - *wheezing voice* Brock... I am your father... If it wasn't for that, it'd be perfect. Now, it'll be... interesting.

Lucian - Sounds sort of like "Lucius," as in "Lucius Malfoy" from the Harry Potter series. Not bad.

Cynthia - I don't really know the significance. Cynthia does sound sort of like a "grand" name aesthetically, though. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'm actually somewhat impressed with these overall. Wasn't expecting any treasures like Byron and Gardenia.

And yes, Gardenia is a name. I'm not kidding.

EDIT: Gardenia (http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Gardenia.html)

mr_pikachu. Driving the point home since 2002.

Starry Might
2nd April 2007, 02:40 PM
As usual, I'm gonna ask what the source was. Aren't I helpful?
Serebii.

Well, looks like my Gym Leader predictions were totally wrong, just as I feared (good thing I had a disclaimer in my original post in Blademaster's "What's in a name? (Part II)", huh?). Anyway...

Roark = The name I came up with for him ("Cole") would have been better, but oh well. I'll get used to it.

Gardenia = One of the names I came up with for her ("Sylvia"; which is the only one I've mentioned here) would have been better, but this one works.

Oh, and "Gardenia" is a kind of flower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardenia), so it's actually NOT a made-up name (while I was working on this post, mr_pikachu posted, and as he pointed out, it's a people name, too).

Maylene = Not that "Maylene" is a bad name in itself, but you'd think she'd have a tougher-sounding name or something related to Fighting/power (like my suggestion of "Titania", which has the word "titan" in it).

Crasher Wake = Well, at least this guy's name (or more accurately, stage name) is something different!

Fantina = I thought her name would be "Melissa" (from "Merissa") for SURE...is it just me, or did the translators deliberately come up with unexpected names this time around (e.g. people were expecting "Beequeen" but got "Vespiquen" instead). As is, it's okay, actually.

Merissa (Ghost Leader)- Fantina (it's SUPPOSED to be "phantom". Sounds like a soda to me.)
Yeah, it does. "Wanna Fanta?" :lol: ;)

Byron = Pretty good. :) Sounds like "iron", which fits him since he favors Steel-types (it's better than my suggestion of "Steely!").

Candice = Now this one's really cool (no pun intended)! Good work, Nintendo.

Volkner = Not bad, though it IS similar to "Falkner"...maybe those two are somehow related to each other? ^_~

Hey, it could have been way worse...he could have been named "Zappy O'Bolterson" (as Hypotenuse Man quipped in "What's in a name? (Part II)". :lol:

Aaron = Not that "Aaron" is a bad name in itself, but what does it have to do with bugs? I guess we'll have to do some research like we did with certain names in the "What's in a name? (Part II)" topic, where we came up with reasonable explanations for Sidney and Janine's names.

Bertha = I suggested "Eartha", and Silencer suggested "Bertha" in response. Does that mean I was close enough?

Flint = I've actually thought about this name as a possibility for Hyota (who's now "Roark"), but this guy (who I dubbed "Magnus") got it instead. Whaddaya know?

Flint - *wheezing voice* Brock... I am your father... If it wasn't for that, it'd be perfect. Now, it'll be... interesting.
:lol:

Lucian = I never came up with my own English name for this guy. I like this one.

Cynthia = I like this one, too.

Lukas (the default name for the male Player Character) = I was expecting something that started with "P" to go with "Pearl" (since Dawn's name starts with "D", like "Diamond"). Anyway, I do like this one.

I'll comment on the other people's names now (since nobody else has):

Johanna (the PC's Mom) = I like it.

Bebe (PC System's owner) = Okay, I guess.

Cyrus (Team Galactic's boss) = Good.

Mars (one of Team Galactic's commanders) = Looks like they stuck to her Japanese name. The fact that she has a male name is odd, but then again, the male protagonist in "Jet Force Gemini" for the N64 was named "Juno", so I guess I can get used to that.

Saturn (one of Team Galactic's commanders) = Looks like they stuck to his Japanese name.

Jupiter (one of Team Galactic's commanders) = Looks like they stuck to her Japanese name. (Incidentally, I think she's the coolest-looking of the Team Galactic leaders.)

Cheryl (battle teammate at certain points) = Fine.

Mira (battle teammate at certain points) = Fine.

Riley (battle teammate at certain points) = Fine.

Marley (battle teammate at certain points) = Fine.

Buck (battle teammate at certain points) = Fine.

Palmer (Battle Tower Tycoon) = Fine.

EDIT: While I was renaming the files of the "D/P" character pictures I got from Pokesho to the English ones, a couple of things came to me.

(1) About Flint - actually, this isn't the first time that names have been recycled in the Pokemon world. For example, they used the name "Spenser" twice (first for one of Emerald's Frontier Brains, then for the leader of Ring Town in "Pokemon Ranger").

EDIT #2: I've since realized I'm most likely mistaken about Riley and Sir Aaron, so forget what I said about that yesterday.

ssj4supernerd
2nd April 2007, 03:14 PM
I do see the same cool attitude that Falkner had in Volkner.(Denzi sounds a lot cooler though)But actually I didn't see the likeness in names.

Lukas = I like it. But then again, I love One Tree Hill, (where one of the main character's name is Lucas) so maybe I'm just biased.

Dawn = Again, I like it.

Bebe = Pathetic. Bill, okay. Lanette, better. Bebe? Why not just baby? Sucks.

Roark = Sucks. I would have rather seen a cooler name, Roark looks better on Crasher Wake or Maylene. Roar, as in scare.Byron must have really hated him, to call him Roark. (Yes, Roark is Byron's son x.x)

Gardenia = I'm not quite fond of it. I guess it's an ok name, but I don't like it.

Maylene = Too little reference to Fighting.

Crasher Wake = It fits his looks but not his type. If he had Poliwrath, we might have had something here.

Fantina = Fantom = Fantina = Doesn't sound right. I do think she'll be cheery(You find her at a Contest Hall) but then again, watching her sprite makes me change my opinion.

Byron = Ok I guess. The shovel really fits him well(Ok a little bit offtopic)

Candice = Not only does her name own, she looks really cute too.(Especially with her skirt up in the air =p), I'm still a little bit confused with their being two Glacier Badge's. (Pryce's and Candice's)

Volkner = He look COOL! Denzi would fit him al lot better tho. But it's ok.

Aaron = Ok, again. Can't see what it has to do with Bugs but...

Bertha = Sucks. She looks like Agatha, I would have liked it better if this was Agatha.

Flint = Pathetic hair, but it fits him.

Lucian = Cool name.

Cynthia = I dunno. It doesn't fit her. it fits the blonde hair, but not really the black dress.

Jeff
2nd April 2007, 04:49 PM
Saw this yesterday and passed it off as an April Fool's joke. That's how odd some of the names seem. I do like some of the names, but others are questionable (X-Scissor? Defog?).

Edit: those are attack names by the way, which have also been revealed.

Phoenixsong
2nd April 2007, 06:13 PM
Defog isn't terrible. Trips off the tongue better than "Fog Clear", at any rate. X-Scissor, on the other hand, is, like, weird.

Fine, fine. Gardenia is a name. It sounds contrived and awkward though, so I still don't like it. (I had a feeling someone would post saying it was a name right after I wrote it... :P)

And, of course, I take nothing Serebii says at face value anyway. He hasn't taken it down, though, so I'll assume it's definitely not a joke even though parts of it may not be accurate. Eh, I question a few ability names, for example... Snow Warning? Um? If the snow/hail is already blasting, isn't it a bit late for a "warning"? What happened to Snow Storm?

It is now my Grand Mission in Life for the next Twenty Minutes to search without end (for twenty minutes) for the meaning of Aaron and Maylene's names. Because they're bothering me. Really. To the entomology websites! AWAAAAY!

The Blue Avenger
2nd April 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing Maylene is supposed to relate to melee, based on how it's pronounced.

And I so wanted Volkner to be Tybolt instead. ;_;

ssj4supernerd
3rd April 2007, 02:46 AM
Is Tybolt even a name? o.o

The Blue Avenger
3rd April 2007, 05:49 AM
I was basing it off of Tybalt, a character in Romeo and Juliet.

Crazy Elf Boy
3rd April 2007, 06:36 AM
What about Alec instead of Volkner.

like Alectricity = Electricity.

I really need to stop thinking so hard.

Starry Might
3rd April 2007, 08:02 AM
I'm guessing Maylene is supposed to relate to melee, based on how it's pronounced.
Hey, there you go! That sounds reasonable. :D

Another name mystery more-or-less solved! :waycool:

Oh, and here's something interesting: I was looking up the names in my baby name books yesterday (except Maylene, who I forgot about 'till today), and I discovered that "Roark" is an actual name! Lemme get one of them real quick.

(*RUNS UPSTAIRS TO GET HER COPY OF BRUCE LANSKY'S "100,000 BABY NAMES", AND COMES BACK*)

Okay, according to this book (and a earlier book by the same author I own), "Roark" is a form of "Roarke", an Irish name meaning "famous ruler". :)

ssj4supernerd
3rd April 2007, 11:59 AM
And I'm still glad Byron ain't my dad o.o

But really, most of the main characters names are always good, but I really love these. (Even though I'll stil call my characters Diamond, heh)

The Blue Avenger
4th April 2007, 03:20 PM
It just occurred to me that Aaron is probably based off of arthropod (similar beginnings), but if that's the case, then Arthur would have made a lot more sense. It's the best I can find, though.