PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Time to Revitalize...

SupremeChampion
25th January 2007, 12:41 AM
Hey guys, as you may or may not have noticed, GSC has become kinda like a ghost town lol. and i'm making this post because i want to know what you guys want to see in here. anything you want, from discussions to RMT's or what have you, what would you like to see in this forum to bring some life back to it. i want it to be alive again, and have people come to it, you know? so what would you like to see happen? post your ideas here, and we'll see what i'll can do!

~The Italian Stallion

Green_Pikachu
28th January 2007, 06:16 PM
Wow. I come here to visit my old favorite board, and I see this. Haha. It's a little depressing to see this happening. This board used to mean so much to me. Now it's little more than an afterthought. GSC always got a bad rep, and was considered the worst gen because it was so "stallish". I found GSC to be the most fun of the 3 generations.

It's hard for GSC because it isn't the original gen like RBY, who everyone is fond of for its retro quality, and it isn't the newest gen like RSE, so it gets discarded.

It's hard to pinpoint something that this board needs. If we get just a few dedicated GSC posters, then the board will eventually be fine. So, I'll try and do my part, haha. Maybe things will turn around, who knows.

mr_pikachu
28th January 2007, 06:22 PM
Okay, random thought. What about a collaborative project between this board and Online Pokemon Battling (or what's left of it, anyway)? Anything to get people battling under the GSC system and therefore into the games again.

I dunno, it's just an idea.

Lady Vulpix
28th January 2007, 08:13 PM
That would be a good idea... But is there a working GSC online PBS?

I must admit I'm a bit nostalgictoo. Gold & Silver was the first forum I posted at when I joined TPM. I remember I was getting frustrated because my Oddish wouldn't learn Solarbeam... -_-

Green_Pikachu
28th January 2007, 08:31 PM
well, there are the irc bots on dejatoons which are still around but went out of style a long time ago.

but there is also netbattle which i frequent, which is a great simulator. for info, you can go to smogon.com. netbattle has the monopoly on pokemon battling. so that's the spot to be.

Master Kirby
28th January 2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe someone could start a Speedrun topic like I did in the Red, Blue, Yellow forums. The reason why these games are so great is because of the Replay value. I remember before the Advance came out, when GSC was really popular. It had the feel of the original, but improved on it and introduced some new favorites (Scizor, Lugia, Tyranitar...)

I think if you can get people to see how fast they can beat the game, it would get them more interested in the game again. If someone organizes some new challenges, it will eventually draw more of a crowd to this section of the board.

Poryhedron
29th January 2007, 02:22 PM
Hmm...a speedrun might be the only way left for a lot of people to be able to play the game. With cartridges from this generation losing the ability to save, many people can't play through to the Elite Four anymore, unless they hone the ability to get there as quickly as possible.

How Far Can YOU Get Without Saving?:D

Master Kirby
29th January 2007, 04:57 PM
Ha! That would be a difficult game to play (not to mention finish), not being able to save. Though it would promote getting to know the game a lot better.

You gave me an idea. Maybe I could write up a tutorial on how to replace the battery in your game catridge? My Silver version's battery stopped working, so I just opened up the cartridge and replaced the battery. It works fine now. If I do write something, I'll be sure to post it in both RBY and GSC. I think the Advance cartridges may be using a flash chip that doesn't require a battery.

Mr.E
1st February 2007, 10:10 PM
I just come to accept that the TPM forum isn't exactly a bustling place of pokemon strategy anymore. :P

Green_Pikachu
2nd February 2007, 12:41 AM
how did I know I'd eventually see you post here? hahah, I love you MrE.

and yeah, that's a very fair assessment. But still, one can hope.

SupremeChampion
2nd February 2007, 11:35 AM
haha this is very true, that the boards aren't what they used to be... mainly because everyone moved on to the next gen lol. ahh well, we still do get a little excitement from time to time.

but anyway, maybe we could get like a "classic" GSC on-line tourney going, maybe not as big as the classic tournament of 64, but something like that... maybe it'll generate some interest, you know? people would come here to post their team or something, and people could rate it. of course results would be posted and hopefully generate interest in the forum.

also, a speed completion thing might be a good idea, as well. if you wouldn't mind writing that guide Mr. Kirby, it would be appreciated lol.

~The Italian Stallion

Knight of Time
2nd February 2007, 02:09 PM
Meh, when I was in my earliest days here at TPM, this was the forum I visited most, during the days I was playing G/S/C. Despite losing Silver years ago (it doesn't matter a whole lot to me anymore), I simply (and slowly, too) lost interest in G/S/C (and similarly, R/B/Y) at the same time I gained interest in the Advanced Generation games. Besides that, I'm in college now, and with having reduced time to come onto TPM, it makes my odds of occasionally checking for any new and interesting stuff in this area drop.

In a nutshell, it's not that I don't like this forum anymore, I simply don't really get all that much time to view topics here. But, I'll never forget my early days here, when I did get the help I needed with G/S/C (big reason why I am a TPMer in the first place, it's my "roots" atfer all). After all, I try my hardest to never forget the most positive experiences I've had here.

Master Kirby
2nd February 2007, 10:29 PM
also, a speed completion thing might be a good idea, as well. if you wouldn't mind writing that guide Mr. Kirby, it would be appreciated lol.

If people would be interested, I could probably start a Speed Completion Tread here in GSC. I have the one in the RBY board (here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15456)), so I could take what I learned there and apply it to GSC. I just beat Red tonight, so I could probably start a Silver game after a little planning. If I start a Speed completion thread, I could state the goals, open up any discussion that people might have on how to beat the game quickly, and give whatever tips I can think of.

There may be more traffic here than in the RBY board since there are a lot of younger players who started out with GSC. I started playing Red back in 98-99, but lots of people left when pokemon got to be a fad. At least with both Monotype and Speed Completion threads, no one would be able to make any excuses that they can't find any challenge in the game anymore.