PDA

View Full Version : University

Vejodi
14th February 2007, 09:36 AM
Indeed. In a week I start university, two hours away from my current residence. How fucked up. I started posting here in Grade 6, 7 years ago.

Anyway, most of you are pretty old these days, any advice? Does it take a while to adjust? Different to high school? Will I have the most fun I've ever had in my life?

Discuss University. :)

-Love, shazza/pokemastershazza2000

Weasel Overlord
14th February 2007, 09:59 AM
Uni rocks!! It really, really does. There's nothing like living on your own, I tell ya! From a Britisher's point of view, mind...so I have no idea how it differs from your high school or whatever... BUT it IS extremely different to college, and any other mode of education you can think of, too.

The hardest part, I'd say, is adjusting to not having teachers yelling at you to do work. All they say is "hey, it's your degree" and then I go "fuck! I should NOT procrastinate so much" and kick the internet.

But yes. Uni = aceness. Enjoy! ^_^

Perfect Chaos
14th February 2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, if you took like AP (or in my case, IB) classes in high school, then the workload isn't that different (maybe just a bit more so). Again, the big difference is that you're on your own now as the professors won't be chiding you for not doing your work or studying enough. Its all on you

Still, enjoy the uni life. There's ALWAYS a shitload of things to do on campus, so its just a matter of looking around the place and see what interests you and stuff.

RedStarWarrior
14th February 2007, 01:32 PM
It's fun and sucks at the same time. Welcome to partially real life.

Ho-oh2001
14th February 2007, 02:34 PM
It's a great experience, but it's also a big adjustment from high school. Even if you're in IB like I was, you still have to get used to actually doing your work. I mean, in HS I kind of got used to doing nothing and still doing well (a little less so in IB, at least in some subjects), but in University, that goes out the window.

Magmar
14th February 2007, 10:37 PM
If you're like me, you party a lot and still manage A's. Just don't skip class unless there's a blizzard (like I had to today... RIC never cancels schools) and keep on top of your works.

.hacker
14th February 2007, 11:04 PM
I really enjoyed the university life compared to high school since you are now responsible for your work, given the opportunity to schedule the courses as the way you like, and are not required to attend courses (but do go to your courses if you want to do well, and because you are paying for it).

A few things I would recommend to do well:
1. Do attend your classes, preferably all.
2. Keep your mind open to new opportunities and possible changes in your major (I went from Computer Science to Accounting. Figure that out....)
3. Do not procrastinate on your readings or assignments. I've done it where I had to catch up on my readings, which is not fun.
4. Instead of just memorizing the information, you'll need to actually understand the material to do well in your courses.
5. Instead of ignoring professors like most of us did in HS, develop relationships with them. You may get more rewards and opportunities than typically available... (jobs and scholarships)

5. Most importantly, try to give yourself some time to relax, and not have to be working on school-related assignments or organizations all the time (my biggest mistake).

I'm looking forward to the fact I graduate with my Bachelor's degree in May! But, I intend on getting my Master's degree in the fall. There goes my freedom from school...

Vejodi
2nd April 2007, 10:56 AM
Over a month since I posted this topic, and the university life is that of an interesting one. Slowly getting adjusted, but let's hope it all works out.

And yes, procrastination is still the devil.

Crazy Elf Boy
2nd April 2007, 05:56 PM
Eh i am thinking of going to uni next year or taking a gap year to go to japan. Any suggestions?

mr_pikachu
2nd April 2007, 06:05 PM
Well, they both have their upsides and downsides. First, check to see if you can get any scholarships. If you can, and you're thinking about taking a year off, make sure they won't be void if you do that! Some scholarships require you to attend college immediately after high school, not transfer, and remain a full time student. (I have one of those, myself.) If you've earned such a scholarship, you really don't want to lose it.

If that's not a factor, look at your intended degree plan. This may very well change during the course of your college experience, but it's good to use as a guide nonetheless. For certain professions, you may want to get started early. Others highly value life experiences. This may sway you in one direction or another.

And if all else fails, trust your gut. What do you think is the right move? What do you want to do? It may just be a matter of personal preference. If you keep in mind that getting a good degree and job is very important, and you also remember that there's more to life than just monetary accumulation, you'll be in a good position to make a wise, impartial decision.

Crazy Elf Boy
2nd April 2007, 06:16 PM
ok thankyou very much Mr_Pikachu. I am really considering a gap year to learn more japanese so i will be better prepared for uni or i could jump straight in the deep end. But most of my friends are going straight to uni so i might do that.

mr_pikachu
2nd April 2007, 06:21 PM
Okay, I've gotta respond to that... speaking from experience, I really don't think you can be prepared for college no matter how old you are or how much of a break you give yourself. It's just a totally different animal than high school.

There are other reasons to take a year off; if your high school was just excruciatingly stressful, or if it's a good chance to get some outside experience, then you may want to go for it. But I'm not sure that doing it just so that you'll be ready for college would be good, because very few people are actually ready for the experience when they enter.

It's sort of like swimming. Most people aren't ready to try out for the Olympics when they first get their feet wet.

Phoenixsong
2nd April 2007, 06:51 PM
Hrm... this all seems to be good advice. I oughta take it ter heart on me way to college/university/the-heck-ever-it's-called this fall. Whoo, admission to Cornell.

Dark-San
2nd April 2007, 08:46 PM
I'm also going to respond to CEB's questions. My main suggestion is for you not to miss a year out of university when you can enter it now. Well there are a couple of reasons.

Firstly, yes high school may be stressful and you might want to take a break. But have you ever foresee that taking a break now would mean that you are forfieting a year of salary from your future job? Lets say your future job's salary is around $1500 a month. A year, it would accumulated to around $18 000 in implicit terms. Simple mathematics and accounting knowledge tells you that. Besides if you planning to do nothing in that year, wouldn't it be a toll on your family's financial burden?

Secondly being a year late in university would mean that you would be out of school. This would mean that you are begining to lose what I mean by studying sense and knowledge. Yes if your absence from school, would mean that when you enter into university the following year, you will find it hard to concentrate in lectures, find it hard to do the tutorials and the facts that was taught to you way back in high school, without studying, you would forget them all. In another words, you will struggle to fit in.

I do remember in your post that your friends would be entering straight into university. I do hope that you make the right choice. Since if you enter into university a year later, these friends of yours would be your seniors. Don't you feel left out then. If you have friends taking the same bachelor degree as you, would not it be better for you to join them straight into university too? Since when you have to form a project group, you would find it easy to find members in the form of your friends?

My situtation is different from you. Straight after my polytechnic days, I had to serve two years of national service. After that two years, I enter into my present university and find it hard to adapt of life. Pace of life is totally different, furthermore all my friends had already been into their respective universities already which leave me attending a degree totally in a stranger's environment.

I've been through all that and I can tell you that I don't like the feeling of it.

Crazy Elf Boy
3rd April 2007, 02:58 AM
Ok thanks every body sooo much for your advice. I think I will go to uni straight away. Since it seems that it would be a real bother to wait a year before doing so. :waycool:

.hacker
12th April 2007, 11:15 PM
But have you ever foresee that taking a break now would mean that you are forfieting a year of salary from your future job? Lets say your future job's salary is around $1500 a month. A year, it would accumulated to around $18 000 in implicit terms. Simple mathematics and accounting knowledge tells you that.

Sorry to be picky, but is that gross or net figures? If you earn $1,500 gross, then you have to consider FUTA, SUTA, and medicare taxes, which will drop the salary by around 25%. That means the lovely $1,500 is now $1,125! Don't taxes suck?

(the accountant in me can't help it... ^_^)

Dark-San
12th April 2007, 11:31 PM
That will vary from countries to countries depending on the government policies. Yes, we do have medicare funds, income tax and CPF but they don't add up to 25% of your salary. 15% yes but never 20%. Besides when is the last time I've seen a university graduate getting only $1500 a month, the basic salary for university student would be around $1800 to $2000.

Like I say it varies from countries to countries. Don't ever test a fellow student from the business faculty. hehe...

Drusilla
13th April 2007, 12:00 AM
Well... you know what they say. "The best four years of your life leads to the fifth."

Honestly, I'm finishing my first year, and while I love the people and the freedom, the workload here is way too much for me. It's what I get for graduating from a slacker high school and thinking I can take on a heaver-than-norm workload. I'm saying fuck this, I'm going to ITT. Yeah, I said it. I'm not going back home to Texas, though... I'd have to uproot my boyfriend, and I can't do that to him. We're looking for a place here in the Evansville/Henderson area right now... and a car... fun times...

Saffire Persian
13th April 2007, 12:59 AM
Take good notes. That's my advice. Secondly, powerpoints make great flash cards when used correctly. ^_^ thirdly, don't ever, ever procrastinate homework.. (I still do it ALLL the freakin' time) it leads to half-arsed work and makes you feel crappy the next morning because you didn't get much sleep.

I'd also advise not to take a huge workload for the beginning semester or two. You don't know how much work you're getting into with each class. You may think you know, but you really, really don't. I wouldn't recommend more than fifteen. :/. In fact, I'd take a little less if you can help it.. but it's your choice. ^_^ Have fun, though!

.hacker
13th April 2007, 09:06 AM
Like I say it varies from countries to countries. Don't ever test a fellow student from the business faculty. hehe...

Don't ever test the "outstanding accounting graduate"... hehe... ;)

Perfect Chaos
13th April 2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah CEB, alot of these people have given some VERY good advice for the uni life, so keep in mind what they all said

As of now, I'm a Pre-Pharmacy major and I can tell you, my life is a living hell right now. I screwed up pretty bad my first semester (my current GPA is about 2.5 :sweat:) and this semester is only a little better than before. I'm supposed to finish up everything by next year, but I don't know how well that's going to go.

So yeah, as everyone said, go to your lectures, take the best notes you can and don't slack off!! EVER!! It will be the very bane of your existence at uni academics (I and I believe most others will pretty much agree with me on that statement).

Good luck to you and Vejodi :)

-Sean

Little_Pikachu
13th April 2007, 03:51 PM
Uni is no big deal, although usually we would meet up for our classes in the morning, one of us would be 5 minutes late so we would decide to spend the day in the pub instead, but it was like that pretty much all through college too but we all still got degrees so yeah.
I think it's this year or next I'll be old enough to be classed as a mature student so I can go on any course and I don't particulalry need the qualifications required to get on it, so maybe I'll go back and waste another 3 years. It sure beats my 9 - 5.

RedStarWarrior
15th April 2007, 04:33 AM
It is really different. Don't get lost with all your new freedom. It will be the best and worst times of your life...enjoy.

.hacker
15th April 2007, 10:18 PM
Always keep an open mind to new careers that you haven't considered. It is very possible (almost certain) that you'll change your major before you graduate. I went from computer science to accounting... figure that out...

Just be honest with the classes that you like and don't like. If it turns out that the classes you're taking for your major you don't like them, but you like one of your elective courses, than consider changing your major.

DarkTemplarZero
17th April 2007, 09:40 PM
Nice advice everyone, thanks.

Phoenixsong: You're going to Cornell? Sweet, congrats. A bunch of my friends are headed there, I was considering it for a while but I decided on Princeton instead, closer to home and warmer.

AntiAsh Superstar
24th April 2007, 08:36 PM
My best advice before entering Uni is... please, make sure you have at least a basic understanding of how real life operates before you go for it. Take it from a really, really bitter person who hadn't really many chances to learn life lessons before he got swept away in the 'OMG you must do high school then uni' fever. Result? I screwed it up big style which irks me doubly now coz if I'd started the whole thing now I've at least some concept of responsibility I'd have not only enjoyed it more but also actually been able to pick a subject I know I would've been able to stick at.

Basically here's my advice; if you're absolutely certain what you want to do then go for it. If there's a bit of doubt in your mind ffs take a gap year and work, it's not *really* going to hurt you in the long term and the time out, if used wisely, is really good experience to cement in your mind what you're good at and not good at - remeber academia and work are two totally different things and ultimately it's to get into work that most people go to uni, right?