PDA

View Full Version : They make it seem like it's illegal to deface a baseball

TKnHappyNess
18th February 2007, 08:10 AM
Check out some of the MLB's new rules, specifically the first one which is just plain stupid and idiotic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-ruleschanges&prov=ap&type=lgns

mr_pikachu
18th February 2007, 02:36 PM
I agree with the scuffing rule, actually, as long as intent to alter the ball is evident. The fielding team benefits no matter who does it - scuffed balls, as you may know, move somewhat like whiffle balls and become much more difficult to hit - so why should it be limited to just the pitcher and catcher?

I do disagree with a couple of adjustments, though. The colored glove thing seems silly, and I hate leaving something like that to the umpires' discretion. You just know there are going to be stupid arguments about that.

The game-ending home run thing also seems a little weird. I have a feeling it's not being explained fully, because in the past it has depended on whether the runs scored would win the game despite that mistake, unless I'm mistaken.

The last rule seems odd, as well. Why should it have to do with possession of the ball? I have no problem with imposing a time limit once the pitcher steps onto the rubber, but possession seems inappropriate.

Hmm. We'll see.

(Incidentally, TKn, you seem knowledgable enough to do well in TPM Fantasy Baseball... hint hint.)