PDA

View Full Version : A TPM RPG TCG?

EngiMatikul
22nd February 2007, 07:38 PM
So while studying for one my three exams I have next week, I came up with this idea (all ideas come when I'm studying for exams which proves to be extremely annoying and detrimental to my concentrations) of thinking, "what if the TPM RPG forum was made into a trading card game?" Unfortunately, because of it I was distracted from my studies and lectures in class and I felt that if I didn't post anything and watch how lame and uninteresting my idea is to you guys (or maybe not?) I'll never be able to study properly and potentially fail my exams for next week... SOOOO I'll just post some ideas I have and prove what a loser I am. :x

Now, most people in the board probably played a TCG game before, whether it be Pokemon, YuGiOh or Magic: The Gathering (or other less popular card games). I'm sure everyone on the board heard of these TCG games at least; for this reason, I will not be fully explaining the concepts of a TCG and how it works; instead, I will use analogies to a typical TCG (ie, Characters = Creatures in M:TG or Monsters in YGO) and only explain a bit about what might be different in the TCG I thought up. Now this is only an idea I thought up 5 hours ago and had nothing to develop it on, so there will probably be lots of things lacking in terms of rules and "playing" the TPM RPG TCG, but it's not like I own a giant company named after myself that can mass produce these cards with magical powers, unlike SOMEONE in some anime... so most of the details can wait, anyway :p
For the most part, this game will have four card types: Ideas, Events, Equips, and Characters. I think the easiest way to deal with winning and losing would be to use the traditional "life points" where each player starts off with a set amount of points and the player who loses all his/her points first, well, loses. The other concept from some card games, which I really liked, was that instead of having seperate points, the player's "life" is his/her deck and instead of losing points, the player discards cards from his/her deck when they are, say, attacked by a character. This is a more complex way of playing however and I'm not sure if people would understand it... Regardless, if it is on life points, it will probably be more like M:TG where a player starts with about 20 life points, rather than the absurd YGO method of redundantly adding extra digits to all the life, attack, and defense points of the players and monsters...
For the most part, I think my TCGs will mainly originate from ideas in M:TG (although I try to think up different ways of approaching the game). There will be a "mana cost" system consisting of 6 elements:
Fire = F
Water = W
Earth = E
Wind = I
Light = L
Dark = D
and Neutral (N) which could use any of the "mana" listed above. The sources for mana will be in the card type "Ideas", while the other cards Equip, Event, and Character will need a mana cost to be used/summoned. More details on the card types will be given later. I think it would be appropriate to limit the amount of characters that can be summoned onto the playing field, I'm judging around 8: This way a player has to be smart in deciding which characters he wants on the field, and likewise is analogous to the fact that a player can't join too many RPGs at once or else his/her head will explode!!!... ok not really, but you know, the player will get overwhelmed with all the RPs he or she is in and wouldn't be able to catch up... Eer, I'm spending too much time on this analogy. Right, 8 character limit. Maybe.
The "tapping" system will be used. If you need an explanation either PM me or ask something else because I am not explaining tapping at least not now, not here in this post.
Anyway, what kind of cards are there?

Idea Cards! (or maybe Source cards is a better name?)
Idea cards are the different types of RPGs that are on on the board. Each RPG, in that sense, is analogous to a "land" in M:TG and produces mana for which can be used for playing other cards. Additionally, each Idea card will have a special ability which enhances characters on the field that originate from the RPG displayed in that Idea card.
Each Idea card will have (up to?) two different mana type that a player can use while it is on the field. The Idea card must be tapped to gain one mana of a type they choose. The effect of the Idea card is typically global and should not need tapping.

Format of an Idea card:
RPG Name:
Mana Types:
Effect:

Example:
RPG Name: ASB Wars VII(?) RPG
Mana Types: F, I
Effect: All characters from any ASB War RPG gain +1 AP and + DP

Note that it may be hard to think up what "mana" is this RPG supposed to be. Sort of be creative and think of analogies, and maybe do some personal preferencing too. I chose F (Fire) because this RPG partly originated from a flame war and I (Wind) because of its quickness and abruptness, and typically wind is associated with speed.

Character Cards!
Character cards are the individual characters that are made to play in an RPG. They will have 5 parts to them: Their Element, Mana Cost (typically needing the mana of their element), The source of RPG they are from, Their AP/DP, and their effect (and maybe a picture too but that's hard to type out :p).
Their element is their basic element; even those from non-elemental RPGs should have an element associated with them. Typically, think of how the element would signify their personality trait and try to determine it from there.
Mana Cost should be dependent on how "good" you want to make your character. You shouldn't make your character Godlike, but if you're making him/her close to God your character will probably have a rediculously high mana cost (and thus be difficult to play out).
The source of RPG they come from is the same as the Idea Card they are associated with.
AP (Attack Power) and DP (Defense Power) are just as what they stand for: AP deals damage to the player and another character, DP is like their health and if they get hit with something higher than their DP, they die. Again, especially for characters in non-violent RPGs, base this off of personality. A highly active and spunky character would have higher AP while a shy-type character may have higher DP.
The Effect of a card can do various things, and is based off of what the character is/how the character acts in an RPG. It may require mana cost or "tapping" the character (T would symbolize Tapping). It would be suggested that one uses their knowledge of TCGs and their character to come up with a cool effect for their character.

So the format is:
Character Name:
Element:
Mana Cost:
RPG:
AP/DP:
Effect:

Example:
Character Name: Keisatsugi Mariko
Element: Earth
Mana Cost: EENN
RPG: Fruits Basket
AP/DP: 3/2
Effect: "Insinuation"- T: Look at the Opponent's hand.

Event Cards!
Event cards are cards which may happen inside an RPG, or may be something based off what happens in the RPG forum in general. The former is easy: If a character, say, finds out he has a special power in one part of an RPG, that may be an event card that can boost the character's power for a period of time. The latter may seem a little more complex, but is really just explaining "events" that happen to an RPG player rather than inside an RPG. For example, a player may go on vacation for a while; this could be an event card that taps a character card for one turn and prevents it from doing any effects.
So the card format would be like:

Event Name:
Mana Cost:
Effect:

Example:
Event Name: Bumping
Mana Cost: LEN
Effect: Return an Idea Card from your graveyard to your hand.

Note: I'm arbitrarily making the mana costs up while I'm typing this please do not ask me symbolic meaning behind the mana costs at this time ;)

Equip Cards!
Equip cards can be something like more permanent Event cards. For example, if a character has a weapon, it can be an Equip card to put onto that character. Equip cards can be character specific.

So the format:
Card Name:
Mana Cost:
Effect:

Example:
Card Name: Magnifying Glass
Mana Cost: E
Effect: Can only be equipped by Keisatsugi Mariko. AP increased by 2, Mariko's Effect does not require her to be tapped.

So, I think I'm the only person crazy enough to try and think up a whole card game for the TPM RPG, but if people want to make like a small database of "cards" based on their characters, RPGs, and whatnot, I think that would be kind of fun.

Or I can be ignored and this post can be deleted by the mods :x BUT IF YOU GUYS WANT TO DELETE IT PLEASE TELL ME FIRST so I can save it because I did think this idea was kinda cool. :(

Weasel Overlord
22nd February 2007, 07:53 PM
Pff, deleting! I think this sounds awesome! With a capital AWE! But probably only cos I spent the majority of my three college years hooked on YuGiOh and Magic the Gathering... ¬_¬

It's quite an interesting concept, to be sure. Dya think that other people would be interested? And if they are, dya think that we'd be able to like...make games or something? I dunno. But either way, it's an ace idea! ^_^

Roy Karrde
22nd February 2007, 08:01 PM
I think it would be a great idea, I spend alot of time using Yu Gi Oh Virtual Duel, is there a way to edit the packs on that? Or on any other card dueling program. It would make this alot eaiser to work with.

Drusilla
22nd February 2007, 08:53 PM
I love it. I think we should add in another category for RPers, too... that would amuse me to no end, at least.

Mega Horny
22nd February 2007, 09:00 PM
Love the idea. Ditto to everyone else's comments.

Outlaw JT
22nd February 2007, 09:03 PM
I think it would be a great idea, I spend alot of time using Yu Gi Oh Virtual Duel, is there a way to edit the packs on that? Or on any other card dueling program. It would make this alot eaiser to work with.

Don't remember which one but one of the earlier yu-gi-oh online dueling programs either had an edit function or was really easy to edit manually to add custom cards or foreign cards. No......wait..... I remember. The card libraries were formatted so simply for it that it was easy to just create txt files and upload them into the program to add custom cards. Don't remember the name of the program but I know back in the day I created a file for a japanese set that hadn't been released in the US yet.

Long story short, yes you should be able to find an online dueling program that shouldn't be too hard to make custom cards for. Start looking at Pojo. I think that is where I got said program from back in the day.

EngiMatikul
22nd February 2007, 11:04 PM
Pff, deleting! I think this sounds awesome! With a capital AWE! But probably only cos I spent the majority of my three college years hooked on YuGiOh and Magic the Gathering... ¬_¬

It's quite an interesting concept, to be sure. Dya think that other people would be interested? And if they are, dya think that we'd be able to like...make games or something? I dunno. But either way, it's an ace idea! ^_^

rotfl, I only played those two games too, and recently been introduced to a japanese TCG called "Lycee" (if anyone even heard of this game, you are automatically my friend). Actually I based most of the stuff off of Lycee, and then tidbits from MTG and YGO :x As for creating an actual "game" out of this, like I said I'm no big name corporation but if you guys want you can use some duel programs to make them... But we need to know what the cards are first, because playing with 5 cards is no fun :p

And of course, improve on the rules and technicalities of the game.

I love it. I think we should add in another category for RPers, too... that would amuse me to no end, at least.

I was thinking later on that assuming this idea gets more developed, there will be more rare "Player cards" which are essentially special Character Cards that have awesome abilities and stuff like that... which are based off the RPers :x I would presume the rarity and the "awesomeness" of the effect will depend on the RPer's rank in the RPG forum. :p

Roy Karrde
22nd February 2007, 11:09 PM
Why not use RP cards as a such of 'toolbox?' cards. I believe that is the right word for it. That could help get out a Character that belongs to that RPer. Of course the stronger the character or stronger the RPer the higher the cost or the higher the rariety. What do you think?

EngiMatikul
22nd February 2007, 11:13 PM
I think personally it would be funner if we were actual characters on the field. But certainly probably one ability for all of our RPer cards would have would give some boost to the characters they've created.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
22nd February 2007, 11:21 PM
The only trading card game I ever played was the Pokemon TCG - sad, I know. Though I sometimes collect Magic cards if the art's pretty enough..

Are there... Evolution cards, you think? *snigger* Like, when your characters power up within an RPG. +Stage 1 Stage 2! Saburomon!! xD;;; *is making no sense*

EngiMatikul
23rd February 2007, 02:50 PM
The only trading card game I ever played was the Pokemon TCG - sad, I know. Though I sometimes collect Magic cards if the art's pretty enough..

Are there... Evolution cards, you think? *snigger* Like, when your characters power up within an RPG. +Stage 1 Stage 2! Saburomon!! xD;;; *is making no sense*

Admittedly, I never played nor learned the Pokemon TCG. :p But the whole idea of "evolving" or upgrading a character is valid and (I believe) would be usable for characters from some RPGs. Like I said in the description, some event cards may cause a character to transform, or there may be a special version of a character card that requires the sacrifice of a (similar) character to put it into play, essentially an "upgrade" of a particular character.

If you guys think this is a good idea, feel free to begin making up cards! After all, if it was all talk and no cards there wouldn't be any TCG in the first place. :/ Here are some more cards I can think of:

Idea Cards

RPG Name: Fruits Basket- The Sohma Curse
Mana Types: W and E
Effect: All Sohma characters may be played onto the field face down for cost NN. Count these characters as 2/2 Neutral type "animal" characters. The controller may pay 2x character's element to flip the character facedown to face up, regardless of the character's normal mana cost.

NOTE: For the most part, I think it would be best if the character or RPG created by a specific person, that person should be the one who thinks up what the card can do. After all, they would know their character the best and think up the best abilities for them. However, since some RPers have left the forum but the RPs and chars remain (like the Idea card I just put up), anyone can think up an ability or effect for them.

Event Cards

Name: Procrastination
Mana Cost: WNN
Effect: Place three delay counters on target character. That character cannot attack, block or use its effect while it has a delay counter on it. Remove a delay counter at the beginning of the controller's turn.

NOTE: undoubtedly PJBW's favorite card. Effected edited according to PJBW. :p

Name: Late Sign-Up
Mana Cost: ENNN
Effect: Search for a character card in your deck and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Character Cards

Name: Plagal
Element: I
Mana Cost: IINN
RPG: Runaways: Lost in Sin City
AP/DP: 1/8
Effect: "Shielding"- T: All characters on your side of the field gain +0/+3 until end of turn.

Name: Abigail
Element: N
Mana Cost: DDLL
RPG: A Shadow Upon Heaven
AP/DP: 1/2
Effect: "Equity"- T: If the number of Dark Elemental Characters is greater than the number of Light Elemental Characters, send one Dark elemental character on the field to the Archives. If the number of Light Elemental Characters is greater than the number of Dark Elemental Characters, send one Light elemental character on the field to the Archives. If they are equal, there is no effect.

Name: Nagi
Element: D
Mana Cost: DDD
RPG: Only a Fairy Tale
AP/DP: 1/1
Effect: "Summon Orphan"- DD, T: Place one Orphan Token (Dark Element, 2/2) onto the field. This ability cannot be used if the player has reached his/her character limit.

Name: Vieniia
Element: L
Mana Cost: LLWN
RPG: The Mountains
AP/DP: 0/0
Effect: Vieniia cannot attack.
"Shapeshift"- When Vieniia comes into play, choose a character on the field. Vieniia has AP and DP equal to that character on the field. When Vieniia is dealt damage, deal all damage to the targeted character instead of Vieniia. If targetted character is removed from the field or you pay WW, you may change Vieniia's target to another character on the field.

Name: Kyria
Element: W
Mana Cost: WWWWW
RPG: Correct Souls Divine
AP/DP: 3/5
Effect: "Chains of Love"- WW: Tap target character. This effect may only be used once each turn.

Name: Fenrir
Element: W
Mana Cost: -
AP/DP: 5/3
Effect: Fenrir can only be summoned by returning Kyria from the field into your hand. At any time you may return Fenrir from the field to your hand to resummon Kyria at no cost. Kyria cannot be summoned while Fenrir is on the field. If Fenrir is sent to the Archives, discard Kyria from your hand.
"Dissolution" W:- Fenrir deals no damage and recieves no damage this turn.

As you notice, we can go through not just through recent RPGs but through the archives and come up with cards from some of our characters in older RPGs. :p

EDIT: Some new terminology I used:
Archives = Graveyard

Oh, and I think the title of the TCG should be called "Twilight" by blatantly stealing the "free talk topic" title in the RPG lounge. :p

Bulbasaur4
23rd February 2007, 03:54 PM
This reminds me of back in the day when the Fan Fiction forum did this exact thing. But ours will be better. :3

In any case... I think everything that everyone has said is a great idea. I think it would be really cool if there was an 'undertext' too... like how they have a small little note or sentence about the card itself. That adds some humor to the card or puts some flavor into it.
*imagines the card game to life*
*nerdy little kid playing the TPMRPGTCG game*
You see... you might think you have my Kukai character card beaten... but what you have not taken into account is this!
*puts down Chiko-sai card*
You see... now that I have played this, the land changes into anime art land! With anime art land, all anime-based characters get a bonus! ANd Kukai is Chiko-sai's character... giving her an even further bonus!
*dramatic music plays*
Now I shall p0wn you.
*dramatic and totally unneccissary explosion*

xD I wasn't actually using that as a card idea... just humor. ... i've had too much shugar. ^_^;;

EngiMatikul
24th February 2007, 01:45 AM
I realize people may be pretty unclear on how the game works and that's why they can't think up cards.

I think its mostly based off of Magic so if you learn the rules to magic, you can kind of see where I'm coming from. Although, I do think its hard unless you experience some of it yourself... :/ blah, complications.

Regardless, here's a link. If anyone needs a 1 vs 1 explanation, PM me or find me on IM, I'll try and clear things up for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_rules

Consider Idea cards like lands, creature cards like characters, and event cards like sorceries/instants. Equip cards are little more unique, although Magic does have some equip cards.

ONE MORE THING: THE TCG I'M THINKING UP IS OPEN TO EDITING, according to rules and technicalities!! So if you don't like the Magic system and think another will work better, discuss it and if most people agree, we can probably change it.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
24th February 2007, 03:34 AM
Character Name: Sohma Saburo (Normal)
Element: Water
Mana Cost: WWN
RPG: Fruits Basket - the Sohma Curse
AP/DP: 1/4
Effect: T,WN- "Peacemaking": Skip attack phase of both you and your opponent for this turn.

Character Name: Sohma Saburo (Glasses) (AKA Lawyer Saburo)
Mana Cost: WWWN
AP/DP: 5/4
Effect: WWW- "OBJECTION!!": Counters an effect used by the opponent; the opponent's mana cost still applies. In order to play this card you must first return Sohma Saburo (Normal) to the hand (and vice versa) - although it costs W to switch from Sohma Saburo (Lawyer) back to Sohma Saburo (Normal) and nothing for the opposite.

(Can only be used in context to characters/cards from Fruits Basket)
Event Name: Hug
Mana Cost: IENN
Effect: Any Sohma character this card is used against reverts to a 2/2 neutral type animal (respective to the character). The effect remains unless a Fruits Basket RPG Idea Card is used.

note: the last one can be modified so that there's more than one or something.. not sure

Weasel Overlord
24th February 2007, 08:37 AM
Wheee!!

Character Name: Rufus Valerius Sohma
Element: Fire
Mana Cost: FFN
AP/DP: 2/3
Effects: FNN “Charm” – Tap Rufus. Both you and your opponent may not use any Event cards until the end of your respective turns.
FFFF "Transformation!" - Tap Rufus Valerius Sohma and send him to the graveyard. Search your Library for Dog Rufus and bring him into play tapped.

Character Name: Dog Rufus
Mana Cost: -
RPG: Fruits Basket – The Sohma Curse
AP/DP: 7/5
Effect: FFFF “Poof!” – If a “Hug” Event is played, tap Dog Rufus and instead of becoming a 2/2 Neutral type animal, he converts to this form.
Dog Rufus can only be played by activating the second effect of Rufus Valerius Sohma.

Card Name: Rufus’ Ever-Dashing Hat
Mana Cost: NN
Effect: Can only be equipped to Rufus Valerius Sohma. His effect no longer affects the controller of this card and now costs NN to activate.

Roy Karrde
24th February 2007, 12:15 PM
Hope this works, If you have any problems with these, AIM me man.

Character Name: Mizuki Sohma
Mana Cost: FFE
Effect: “Studying” – T: Select up to three cards in your opponent’s hand, look at them, and return them to your opponent’s hand.

Character Name: Tiger Mizuki
Mana Cost: FFFF
Effect: “Tiger Pounce” – FF T: This card can select two cards on the field and return them to their owner's hand, this card can only be brought out by tributing a Mizuki Sohma from the field.

Card Name: Mizuki’s Tears
Mana Cost: F
Effect: Can only be activated with either Mizuki Sohma or Tiger Mizuki. Search your deck each turn for either a Sohma Saburo, Junichi Sohma, or Matsuno Kaoru, or equip card related to that character. And add that card to your hand.

RPG Name: Chronicles of the Rift 2
Mana Types: E and I
Effect: All Chronicle of the Rift or Chronicle of the Rift 2 RPG characters may be played with one less Mana cost. The controller may discard one character card from their hand, to search for one character in their deck that comes from Chronicle of the Rift or Chronicle of the Rift 2 RPG, and add it to your hand.

Character Name: Adalia
Mana Cost: EEW
RPG: Chronicles of the Rift 2
AP/DP: 1/5
Effect: “Pure Healing” – E T: By tapping this card, raise your LPs by 2 LPs.

kalad1
24th February 2007, 01:10 PM
Character Name: Danarica
Element: Dark
Mana Cost: DDI
AP/DP: 5/5
Effect: Shadow Vanish: D T, And it is Danarica cannot be targeted until the controller's next turn. If Danarica attacks no damage is delt to the controller.

SmearGal
24th February 2007, 01:18 PM
Uhm so.. would there be liek, character pictures on the cards?
'Cuz I'm sure lots of us artistically-inclined RPG'ers would gladly donate some time to drawing out people..
:0 I know I would.

Anyway, this sounds awesome.

Maybe characters from archived RPG's could be like, rare or something? I dunno, I'm trying to think of it in terms of Pokemon, 'cuz I myself have never played Magic. I've watched people play it and somewhat know the rules, but.. anyway:
Instead of, "OMG YOU HAVE A CHARIZARD?"
It'd be liek, "OMG YOU HAVE A CHAINS OF DRAGONS CHARACTER?!"
Or, "OMG YOU HAVE A DAWN OF THE BLOOD MOON CHARACTER?!"
Or insert some older RPG name, there.

:3 Something. You know what I'm saying, though, right?

Here're some p33ps:

Character Name: Sora Hibari
Element: Wind
Mana Cost: IIIIIIII
RPG: Chains of Dragons
AP/DP: 6/4
Effect: "Windraker" - Pick one of your opponent's cards at random and put it in the Graveyard.

Character Name: Kurayami Mizuchi
Mana Cost: WWWWWW
RPG: Legend of Zelda Vengeance (I, II, and III)
AP/DP: 6/3
Effect: "Pressure" - The opponent loses the ability to place any mana cards upon a character of your choice for one turn.

Character Name: Thomas Treekham
Element: Neutral
Mana Cost: N
RPG: Pokemon of the Carribean
AP/DP: 2/2
Effect: "Share the Grog" - If there are other Neutral characters in play, any mana placed upon Thomas can be moved to one other Neutral character on the field, and Thomas be placed in the Graveyard.

Equip Cards

Card Name: Team Up!
Mana Cost: NNN
Effect: If two different characters from the same RPG are present on the playing field, both characters receive +1 AP and +1 DP.
[Note, this could only be used for two characters, if there are three chars out there from one RPG, one of them won't get this bonus. Unless you had four.. and you had two of these event cards.. eh?]

Card Name: Cliché
Mana Cost: NNNN
Effect: If your opponent plays a card that you already have in play, the opponent must sacrifice two mana to the graveyard in order to play it. If the opponent's mana is given up, you must place two mana from this card into the graveyard yourself.
[Note, this doesn't mean if you both already had the card out and THEN you played this event, this must be used before the opponent puts the card into play; you'd use this to safeguard that they might be wary to play the same one.]

Card Name: Sora's Scythe
Mana Cost: III
Effect: Equip this to any Wind character to give them +1 AP. If the character is Sora Hibari, give them +1 AP and +1 DP.
[:3 Haha, enough with CoD, I know, I know..]

Event Cards

[Note, this depends on if you like the idea of Archived RPG's being like rare ones.. I guess. Or no, it could just be normal-ish, but I'm thinking like, Archived, as a type of card? D': I dunno, forgive my lack of knowledge of Magic.]
Event Name: The RPG Awards
Mana Cost: NN
Effect: Both you and your opponent search your deck for a character from an Archive RPG. Both players place these cards in their hands, and RPG Awards is placed in the Graveyard.

Event Name: The RP Tournament
Effect: Retrieve a character from your graveyard and return it to your hand. Upon retrieving it, place The RP Tournament in your gravepile.

D: More maybe later.
This is an excellent idea!
And fo'rizzle, about the art, think about it. xD

EngiMatikul
24th February 2007, 06:30 PM
These are fine examples for cards, everyone, keep them coming :O

A few comments I'd like to make:

1. Apparently everyone wants to have huge AP/DP for characters, which either means a. Everyone should lower the attack of their characters or b. I should raise the AP/DP of my characters as well as the standard life points each player has. Since right now the majority seems to be "lets make our characters really buff", I'll probably do likewise and buff up my own characters. But please take into consideration for the mana cost: a 3 mana-costing character having like 6 AP is kind of overpowered :p

2. Due to some character abilities, I am making up an "Idea limit on the field" rule. Consider this and tell me what you guys think:

You can only play up to 5 Idea cards on the field, and you may only play one Idea card onto the field per turn. While these Idea cards are on the field, their effect is in play, and you can tap any of them to produce up two 2 mana of the color they indicate. Alternatively, you may sacrifice an Idea card from your hand to gain one mana that idea card can make. You may sacrifice any number of Idea cards in your hand at any given time to produce mana.

This way it prevents some cards, like Suburo's "OBJECTION!!", from being too abusive and basically stopping the opponent from doing anything at all. :p

3. The conversion cards for WO and Roy need more clarification; right now it is as if you can summon both the animal form and the human form at the same time. Please indicate more clearly how they are summoned.

EDIT: BTW, To Smeargal: I'm certainly not going to stop you if you want to draw pictures for all the cards in this TCG, but considering how much characters, RPGs, and related events there could be, this would be a REALLY big job to take up :p *cough* and yea, so far your Sora is probably the cheapest card created XD I think if you want to keep it that way you better rake up the mana cost to like, IIIIIIII or something :p

Roy Karrde
24th February 2007, 06:47 PM
Updated Tiger Mizuki to add the effect of "This card can only be brought out by tributing a Mizuki Sohma from the field" would this work or do you have any other idea on a way to bring them out?

Also guys to put it into view of those that play Yu Gi Oh, having a 5 AP monster with 20 LPs. Then that monsteri n Yu Gi Oh would be at 2,000 attack.

So here is a list in comparison for Attack Strength here vs Yu Gi Oh Attack Strength

AP / Attack Strength
1 / 400
2 / 800
3 / 1200
4 / 1600
5 / 2000
6 / 2400
7 / 2800
8 / 3200

Try to remember these when determining attack strength

Weasel Overlord
24th February 2007, 08:25 PM
There we go! I've edited both Rufus Valerius and Dog Rufus. Made them both more reasonable in the way of mana costs and AP/DP, added a second effect to Rufus Valerius and added card clarification to Dog Rufus.

Here's some more too! This is really fun! ^_^ You're a genius dude, seriously. (by the by, Mara is my favourite character, and she's meant to be stupidly strong, so no worries, yah?)

Also, are we having stuff like Flying in this? If not, I can edit it out no worries. And what about duel elements? Like in the later Magic sets?
EDIT: I have another question! In Magic, there's normal Lands and Special ones, yah? So how about if we have the Idea cards being the Special Lands, and also have some sort of normal Land as well, for each element. Like River for Water, Glacier for Ice, Volcano for Fire, whathaveyou. That way, each Idea/Land doesn't give 2 mana each tap, as well as having an effect. Just a thought. ^_^

Character Name: Rhee'ualheu Mara Deiis'alu
Mana Cost: DDDDDDNN
RPG: Otherworld
AP/DP: 9/6
Effect: Mara has Flying.
DDDDNN “Blood Shield” - Tap Mara. Do 2 damage to a target creature of your choice. Mara gains -2/+2 for this turn.

Character Name: Torran Ylldier
RPG: Otherworld
AP/DP: 2/1
Effect: IIN “Premonition” – Look at one card from the top of your Library. You may put it to the bottom of your Library if you wish, or you may put it back on top of your Library.

Card Name: Sulin Slytewing
Effect: Sulin Slytewing can only be equipped to Torran Ylldier.
Torran Ylldier gains +1/+1.

Card Name: Power of Flight
Mana Cost: II
Effect: This card can only be equipped to an Otherworld character.
That character gains Flying.

RPG Name: Otherworld
Mana Types: Dark, Wind
Effect: All Otherworld characters gain Flying.

-----

Character: Arioch
Element: Light/Dark
Mana Cost: DL
RPG: The Jungle (when it starts ^_^)
AP/DP: 1/2
Effect: DL “Angelic Bloodlust” - Arioch gains +1/-1 for the controllers turn.

Character: Tryfan
Mana Cost: EE
RPG: The River and The Jungle
AP/DP: 2/0
Effect: EEE “Forest Walker” – Tryfan deals combat damage as if it was unblocked.

Character: Eleiamae
Element: Earth/Water
Mana Cost: EEWW
RPG: The River
AP/DP: 2/3
Effect: WWW “Marsh Scrying” – Look at three cards from the top of your Library then rearrange them in any order you like and put them back on top of your Library.

RPG Name: The River
Mana Types: Earth, Water
Effect: All River characters gain -1/+1.

RPG Name: The Jungle
Mana Types: Earth, Fire
Effect: All Jungle characters gain +1/-1.

Event Name: “I Am Stone!”
Mana Cost: EEE
Effect: This card can only be used when Eleiamae is on the field, and it only affects her. She gains -1/+2 for the rest of the turn.

Event Name: Daemonic Bloodlust
Mana Cost: DD
Effect: This card can only be used when Arioch is on the field.
Tap Arioch. Deal 1 damage to any one Light element character and Arioch gains +1/+0 until the end of your turn.

Card Name: Malleus Maleficarium
Mana Cost: LL
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Arioch.
Tap Arioch. Deal 2 damage to any one Dark element character.

EDITATION FOR ACENESS!!: I thought of a new Event! Waaay!

Event Name: Deus Ex Machina
Mana Cost: FWIEDLN
Effect: "An improbable event introduced just in time to resolve a situation or untangle a plot"
Return one Idea card to your hand from the Graveyard.
Return one Character card, one Equip card and one Event card relating to that RPG from the Graveyard to your hand.
Deal 1 damage to each of your opponent's Characters.

Yet another EDIT: Here's a dead handy reference for mana costs and monster strengths. Just select "creature" or whatever from the drop-down list and have a look through the things that come up.
Handy Site of Wonder (http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/Index.aspx)

Andrew
24th February 2007, 09:25 PM
What if you based the cards on actual TPM members?

Like with pictrures and photoshopped up a base to use it on...

"I summon River

She's a water element character, and her special move takes 3 mana to execute"

Weasel Overlord
24th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Yeaaaah, we thought of that too ^_^ Like, veteran RPers are rarer, and suchlike cos they've left or whatever.

And then we could have effects according to their character. Like;

RP'er Name: Weasel Overlord
Mana Cost: EEEEN
Effect: EEN "Yaoi-fy!" - Any two male characters on the field become too preoccupied with making out to do anything else.
Choose one of your characters and one of your opponent's characters. Neither can attack or activate any abilities this turn.

Roy Karrde
24th February 2007, 10:01 PM
Created half of the CotR2 Booster Pack. Here it is.

RPG Name: Chronicles of the Rift 2
Mana Types: E and I
Effect: All Rift characters may be played with one less Mana cost. The controller may discard one character card from their hand, to search for one character in their deck that comes from the RPG: Chronicle of the Rift or Chronicle of the Rift 2, and add it to your hand.

~ The Earth Set ~

Character Name: Ryan
Element: Normal
Effect: “Private Message” – T: Search your deck for one “Magical Message"

Character Name: Shonta
Effect: “Private Message” – T: Search your deck for one “Magical Message”

Character Name: Kalah

Character Name: Bryan

Character Name: Danielle

Character Name: Dennis

Character Name: Jon

Character Name: Becki

Character Name: Knes
Effect: “Promise to Defend” – T: If Adalia is targeted to be destroyed, Tribute Knes to stop the attack and end the opponent’s turn.

Card Name: Magical Message
Effect: Send one Chronicle of the Rift Element Normal Character from the field to the grave. Search your deck or hand for another Chronicle of the Rift Character and bring it to the field.

~ The Adalia Set ~

Character Name: Adalia
Mana Cost: EEWN
AP/DP: 1/6
Effect: “Pure Healing” – EE T: By tapping this card, raise your LPs by 2 LPs.

Card Name: Adalia's Staff
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Adalia, Adalia's DPs are raised to 8, the number of LPs increased by "Pure Healing" is raised to 3.

~ The Ovan and Danarica Set ~

Character Name: Danarica
Mana Cost: DDDNNN
Effect: “Shadow Sneaking” – DDD T: Danarica automatically becomes 3 / 4 for this turn. Danarica can deal combat damage as if unblocked.

Card Name: Pregnancy
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Danarica. If Danarica is tapped, the character becomes untapped at the end of the turn.

Character Name: Ovan
Element: Light
Mana Cost: LLLNN
AP/DP: 4/4
Effect: “Draw the Sword” – N: Search your deck or hand for one "Ovan's Valkyrie" equip card, and equip it to Ovan.

Card Name: Ovan's Valkyrie
Mana Cost: FFF or WWW or III
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Ovan, Ovan's Valkyrie's effect is based on the mana used for that effect
FFF T: The opponent loses 3 LPs
WWW: Ovan gains 2 APs
III T: The owner chooses two character's on the opponent's side of the field and returns them to their owner's hand.

~ The Loki Set ~

Character Name: Child Loki
RPG: Chronicles of the Rift
Effect: “Beast Transformation” – NNN: Search your deck or hand for one "Child Panther Loki", tribute Child Loki from the field and summon " Child Panther Loki"

Character Name: Child Panther Loki
Mana Cost: ENNN
RPG: Chronicles of the Rift
Effect: “Young Rage” – EN: Loki's attack gains 1 AP. If there is a "Adalia" character in the grave yard, Loki's attack gains 3 AP instead.

Character Name: Loki
Mana Cost: EENNN
AP/DP: 5/2
Effect: “Beast Transformation” – NNN: Search your deck or hand for one "Panther Loki", tribute Loki from the field and summon "Panther Loki"

Character Name: Panther Loki
Mana Cost: EEENNNN
AP/DP: 7/2
Effect: “Beast Rage” – EEE: Loki's attack gains 1 AP. If there is a "Adalia" character in the grave yard, Loki's attack gains 3 AP instead.

~ The Kite Set ~

Character Name: Kite
Effect: “Outlash” – EEE T: Kite automatically becomes 7/4 for this turn. Kite remains tapped on the next turn.

Card Name: Kite's Halberd
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Kite, Kite gains 1 AP with this card equipped.

~ The Moswen Set ~

Card Name: Moswen's Mana Armor
Effect: This card can only be equipped to Moswen, for every character Moswen destroys, Moswen gains 1 AP.

~ Events ~

Event Name: Moswen's Armor Explosion
Mana Cost: LLLDDD
Effect: This card can only be played if Moswen is on the field, and that Moswen is equipped with "Moswen's Mana Armor", and has been in three battles with "Moswen's Mana Armor" equipped. Tribute "Moswen's Mana Armor" and tap all characters on the controller's side of the field. Destroy all characters on the opponent's side of the field.

Event Name: Kite's Roar
Mana Cost: EEN
Effect: This card can only be played when Kite is on the field. The effect of this card last until the end of the second turn after this card is activated. Any character that does battle with Kite is returned to it's controller's hand at the end of the battle.

Event Name: Slave Auction
Effect: Both players give up a number of LPs, the player that gives up the most number of LPs, chooses a character from their deck or hand and summons it to the field. The player that does not get to choose a character, has his or her LPs return to what they were before this card was activated.

Event Name: Drunken One Night Stand
Mana Cost: DDNN
Effect: If you have either Danarica or Ovan on the field, that character instantly becomes tapped. Select from your deck or hand either Ovan if Danarica is on the field, or Danarica if Ovan is on the field, and bring that character to the field. That character becomes tapped too.

Event Name: Bird's Song
Mana Cost: E
Effect: This event can only be played if "Loki", "Child Loki", "Child Panther Loki", or "Panther Loki" is on the field. Name one Element, your opponent cannot use mana of that element during their next turn.

Event Name: Love Triangle: Adalia
Mana Cost: EEWN
Effect: If you have an Adalia character on the field, that character instantly becomes tapped. Select either "Knes", "Loki", or "Kite" from your deck or hand and bring it to the field. That character also becomes tapped too.

EngiMatikul
24th February 2007, 10:21 PM
With regard to "Creator" cards, as I have now named them, since everyone seems to ask about them.

"Creator" cards are legendary cards in the Twilight TCG. There is only one type of card printed for each Creator, so to get one one would have to be incredibly lucky. Creator cards play like Character cards, but have no mana cost (so they can be freely casted into to play) and in addition to each Creator's unique effect, they automatically give all characters that they created +1/+1 regardless of where they are on the field (so yes, your opponent can get the bonus too).
Because of their legendary-ness, I'm going to set it as a privlidge to make your own Creator card. In short, each person will have to make 50 cards (of any kind) before I will allow them to make a creator card; this will apply to myself as well.

(For the record, I'm counting Roy's last couple of characters and Events as 2 because technically he didn't do anything but change the name in each one :P)

Other notes:
"Posts" is now the term similar to "spell" in M:TG. So every time you are playing a character, event, or equip the technical definition is you are "posting" something. An example:

Event Name: Computer Crash
Mana Cost: WWNN
Effect: Counter target Post, and choose a card from the opponent's hand. The opponent must discard that card.

NOTE: Obviously another favorite of PJBW's. :p

"Idea" effects do not stack. So even if there were 4 Jungle Ideas as WO indicated, it would still only give +1/-1.

SmearGal
25th February 2007, 11:53 AM
@Engi: Bwahaha, I'LL TAKE ON THE WHOLE DEEECK. Not. :'D
I meant like, have multiple artists draw cards and such.
Theeen for those of us that collect cards purely because of their artwork, (which is the only reason I have a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards (xD)), we can be liek, "Yeah, that artwork is awesum I lurve dis card."
I dunno.
Something like that.

D': And about Sora, yeah, I figured as much now. I'm still thinking in terms of Pokemon. I need to go read me up some Magics. I'll edit her up to make her more appropriate. XD

Blademaster
26th February 2007, 09:12 PM
I hate to be the resident stick-in-the-mud, but MUST we use only a Magic: The Gathering format? I've never played it, but I've played Pokemon AND Yu-Gi-Oh!. So, I'm pretty much clueless...

For example...

RP'er Name: Weasel Overlord
Effect: EEN "Yaoi-fy!" - Any two male characters on the field become too preoccupied with making out to do anything else.
Choose one of your characters and one of your opponent's characters. Neither can attack or activate any abilities this turn.

...?

I have no clue what that means... Now, in Yu-Gi-Oh! terms...

Name: Weasel Overlord
Attribute: EARTH
Type: Beast-Warrior
Level: 5
ATK: 2100
DEF: 1300
Image: (insert pic of Weas that I was too lazy to go get myself here)
Effect: This Monster's effect can only be used during your Main Phase 1. Select one face-up Monster on your side of the field and one face-up Monster on your opponent's side of the field and flip them into face-down Defense Mode. Neither selected Monster can switch modes or be flipped face-up until the end of your opponents next turn.

THAT I can understand. Even Pokemon terms is fine by me...

Name: Weasel Overlord
Type: Basic Fighting (evolves into Stage-1 Fighting 'Yaoi Dominatrix')
LV: 36
Card No.: 003
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness: F
Reistance: L (-30)
Attacks:
-FC: Modstick 20 (Don't apply Weakness or Resistance for this attack.)
-FFL: Tazor 30 (Flip 2 coins; if both are heads, add 1 Trainer Card from your discard pile to your hand. If one is heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed. If neither are heads, this Pokemon does 10 damage to itself.)

See? I just think it'd be easier if there were different variations of the game so everybody can join in.

Prof. Jb Wolf
26th February 2007, 11:04 PM
I hate to be the resident stick-in-the-mud, but MUST we use only a Magic: The Gathering format? I've never played it, but I've played Pokemon AND Yu-Gi-Oh!. So, I'm pretty much clueless...

See? I just think it'd be easier if there were different variations of the game so everybody can join in.

You seem to have no problem converting it in your head, but by having variations of the game we defeat the whole purpose of having a unifying format. M:tG isn't quite as hard as people seem to think to grasp and everyone else seems to have picked it up just fine. If your having trouble you could always just post them anwyway and someone else can convert them.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
26th February 2007, 11:33 PM
...Now, stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh makes me quake in my shoes even more than converting Pokemon-TCG-ese to M:tG ever did, but hey, the more numbers I see, the more panicked I get. *numberphobia shrug*

This is a template, sort of, for anyone who's currently obsessed with only ONE RPG although they've joined many. Like me. Yes. Bad fangirl.

(Event Card)
Event Name: Single RPG Obsession
Mana Cost: FWN
Effect: The player picks an RPG. All characters in that RPG automatically gain +3/+3, regardless of whether they are the player's own characters or not. Conversely, all other characters, including the player's own, have their stats diminished by -3/-3. (If the number is less than 0, it remains 0.)

I'm not sure if there should be one of these for each RPG, or simply a single card like the one above, or something else entirely. Butcher away.

EngiMatikul
27th February 2007, 11:57 PM
For Blademaster:

I realize people may be pretty unclear on how the game works and that's why they can't think up cards.

I think its mostly based off of Magic so if you learn the rules to magic, you can kind of see where I'm coming from. Although, I do think its hard unless you experience some of it yourself... :/ blah, complications.

Regardless, here's a link. If anyone needs a 1 vs 1 explanation, PM me or find me on IM, I'll try and clear things up for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_rules

Consider Idea cards like lands, creature cards like characters, and event cards like sorceries/instants. Equip cards are little more unique, although Magic does have some equip cards.

ONE MORE THING: THE TCG I'M THINKING UP IS OPEN TO EDITING, according to rules and technicalities!! So if you don't like the Magic system and think another will work better, discuss it and if most people agree, we can probably change it.

Now, In general if everyone wants to convert to yugioh format then we can do that, I only prefer M:tG because Yugioh (and pokemon) seems to have extra and not-very-necessary digits on the ends of their attack and defense.

In general, your Yugioh format could easily be adapted to the "M:TG" format we use. Flip face up/face down = tapping. Reduce unnecessary digits on Attack and Defense. I didn't include type because it would complicate things and for the most part we're all human anyway. The only thing you need to "learn" is mana cost, which can be applicable to Pokemon anyway.

Additionally, this is NOT completely M:TG format. In fact I'm basing this more (and more, as I go along) off of a different TCG that's quite different from M:TG. It just has the tapping system because its more convenient, as well as the "no extra digits on AP and DP" issue which I get annoyed at in Yugioh.

I hate to make this sound more complicated than it already seems, but I got another idea for the mana issue. XD I have two ideas, and I'll let you guys choose what you think might work:

1. The Idea cards, when on the field, can produce either 2 mana of one element they indicate or 1 mana of each element combined (or just 1 mana of an indicated element they have). If we have this gameplay, putting down cards will be a lot easier.

Example: For a Idea card that has F and W, you can make 2x F mana or 2x Water mana, or FW, or just F or W alone.

2. The Idea cards can ONLY produce a max of 1 element for each element they posess. In other words for that Idea card with F and W together, they can only produce F, W, or FW, NOT FF and WW.
In return, we can expand to the "sacrificing cards in your hand for mana" to character cards representing their element (and, possibly, equip and event cards too, but I prefer not to element-ize them :p). This way of gameplay is more challenging but, at least for me, I find it more entertaining and interesting.

Random Card for the Day:
Event name: Glomp!
Cost: IEN
Effect: Target Character cannot attack. If this card is used on a Sohma type character, negate all effects that Sohma character has, flip it over and place 3 delay counters on it. That character is a 2/2 animal token and cannot be flipped back until the delay counters are removed from the character. Remove one delay counter from the character during the beginner of the controller's turn.

NOTE: Upgraded version of Hug. I will probably reduce the mana cost for Hug later because I think it's too high.

Asilynne
6th March 2007, 01:27 PM
This is a great idea, and heck man if you design the structure well enough maybe we can even make real cards you can download and print out, and those who draw in the RPG forums here can help design the art :D

Mew Master
6th March 2007, 05:32 PM
Character Name: Denisu "Saké" Wamiyazen
Element: Light
Mana Cost: 3LL (Three of any and two Light)
RPG: Chains of Dragons
AP/DP: 3/4
Effect: When one of your monsters is being targeted by a spell or ability your opponent controls, you may switch the target of that spell to Denisu.

Character Name: Denny Roth
Mana Cost: 2RRR
AP/DP: 1/5
Effect: Pay 2RR to put a 2/2 Fire Dragon Token with Flying into play. The Token Cannot Block.

Character Name: Denny Roth
Mana Cost: 3RR
RPG: The Scourge
AP/DP: 4/4
Effect: 3, Tap: Prevent four damage being delt to target creature or player.

Character Name: Denny, Angelic Form
Mana Cost: 3RRR
AP/DP: 5/6
Effect: Flying (only creatures with flying can block this Creature). Haste (This creature is unaffected by Summoning Sickness). R: Denny, Angelic Form gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Character Name: Denny, Hybrid Form
Mana Cost: 8RR
AP/DP: 7/7
Effect: DoubleStrike (this creature deals normal combat damage and then extra combat damage after the first damage has resolved). Flying. RR: Denny, Hybrid Form gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Character Name: Kíaskiklah, the Dragon of Blood
Mana Cost: 10RR
AP/DP: 8/8
Effect: At the begining of your upkeep put a Charge counter on Kíaskiklah, the Dragon of Blood. 3RRR: Remove X Charge Counters from Kíaskiklah, the Dragon of Blood. Kíaskiklah, the Dragon of Blood deals that much damage to each Creature and Player. For each two Creatures put into the Graveyard this way, put one +1/+1 counter on Kíaskiklah, the Dragon of Blood.

Magic is fuuuuuuuuuuun. FEAR MY DRAGONS!!!!!

EngiMatikul
7th March 2007, 12:13 AM
This is a great idea, and heck man if you design the structure well enough maybe we can even make real cards you can download and print out, and those who draw in the RPG forums here can help design the art :D

Indeed, I think I got a lot of the structure of the game thought out. However, I think most important is how much people think its a good idea, and how much people want to contribute. Like an RPG, this thing won't fly if only, say, 3 people made cards for everyone on the RPG forum.

Ideally, I'd like it if everyone could contribute, add in their characters and RPGs, but realistically since not everyone plays TCGs, and especially not everyone knows how to play Magic...

Which is why I offered to anyone who is even in the least bit interested to contact me if they are unclear of some things in the game. I know Emo Chiko Sai and Roy have talked to me about it when they were unclear of what I was trying to set up, and they now seem to get the game structure down pretty well.

EDIT: Mew Master your cards seem to work well, though a bit highly M:TG based but I think it should be alright... Remember to try and stick to the gaming format, and as for your "different forms" you may try adapting to a conversion factor where it requires the "regular" character first before being able to summon the different form character. Example: The character Danny Roth must be sacrificed from the field to Summon Angel Danny, or Hybrid Danny, or etc.

Asilynne
7th March 2007, 01:45 AM
I played a bit o magic and a lot of the DBZ CCG so Id love to help out ^-^ Just need to review a few things about how this one will work out and Ill try posting some chars and shiz :D

Mystic_clown
7th March 2007, 02:09 AM
I've never played M:TG before. Mainly pokemon and yu-gi-oh (please don't hurt me)

However, I want in on this.

EngiMatikul
7th March 2007, 02:17 AM
your name does quite portray that you play yugioh.

Again, I suggest you guys look through my posts, its a lot of text; if you want to begin, look for the link to wikipedia about Magic rules. After that, I suggest you go through my first post and read what's similar and what's different about this game and M:TG.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
19th March 2007, 12:26 PM
...HAHA CRACK CARD

Event Card

Event Name: Nagging (may be renamed Dedication... since it doesn't make sense for an RPer to nag themselves)
Mana Cost: ENN
Effect: Allows one character of the player's choosing (his/her own character, naturally) to attack twice in one turn. (actually this might be overpowered) Alternatively, removes all delay counters from a character card.

darktyranitar
25th March 2007, 10:42 AM
Interesting topic. Remind me of one time ago that my friend drew a set of TCG of my class, basing on the M:TG TCG.

Mm, I've played Pokemon TCG for a very long time, then did magic for a while, and then did a little bit of M:TG... so I don't really care what format this TPM RPG TCG use. Though I like the idea of basing on the Pokemon TCG, with the evolution and all.