PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Snow Day

SupremeChampion
26th February 2007, 07:54 AM
so as i sit here looking out the window of my dorm on my college campus, there is snow on the ground but we didn't get off. we did get off due to an earlier storm this semester though, so i got to thinking lol.

1.) do you get snow where you live?
2.) how often do you get snow, and how much (like in terms of inches/feet) per storm?
3.) do you usually get off when it snows? if it doesn't snow where you live, do you get off for any other reasons due to weather?
4.) what was the most snowfall that you remember for your area?

1.) haha yea, i get snow where i live
2.) ehhh, not as much as we used to (stupid global warming...) but come late december early january we start getting some snow, then we really get in the swing come february. again, it depends... usually a few inches like 3"-6"
3.) when i was in grade school we used to get off a lot, but less in high school and even more rarely in college, where i think i've gotten off 3 times in 3 years despite various levels of snow and ice being on the ground at different times.
4.) blizzard of '97, easy. got like 3'-4', if not more. got off from school for a whole week, it was amazing.

~The Italian Stallion

Lady Vulpix
26th February 2007, 09:17 AM
No.
Never. None.
N/A.
1918, but I read about it, of course. I was not around by then. :P

mr_pikachu
26th February 2007, 10:51 AM
Poor, poor Gabi. XD

Sometimes.

2.) how often do you get snow, and how much (like in terms of inches/feet) per storm?
Some winters we do, and some winters we don't. (There's nothing during the other seasons, except for the extremely rare powder during early spring.

3.) do you usually get off when it snows? if it doesn't snow where you live, do you get off for any other reasons due to weather?
When I was in elementary, middle, and high school, yes. In college, though, school's only been cancelled once since I started, and I've been here for a couple of years (which included several snowstorms that cancelled other local colleges).

Probably the one that happened just a couple of weeks ago. That was the one which cancelled college classes. To illustrate how rarely they shut down the campus, it had been over a decade since the last time the university was closed due to weather. That illustrates how big of a storm this one was, because we've had other blizzards from time to time.

CuteLassJigglypuff
26th February 2007, 04:51 PM
1. Yes.

2. I get snow most winters. It is usually around 3 to 6 inches.

3. When I was in elementary, middle and high school, I usually get off. In college, I rarely get off.

4. Somewhere over 2 feet in 1996.

Jeff
26th March 2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah

A few snowfalls a year, although it's not unusual for us to get no snow some winters. This past winter we got a few average snowstorms. As for amount, 2-3 inches for an average storm I'd say.

Schools usually close around here for just about any kind of winter weather, it's a big running joke around here that every time it snows, nearly every school in the state closes, except mine :angry:.

President's Day '03 (or '04, I forget). It was notorious for causing an old metal building near where I live to collapse.

Crazy Elf Boy
26th March 2007, 11:43 PM
1) Nope

2) Never

3) Some times we get off school becuase of floods

4) It was some where in Canberra, cant remeber how much though

Dark-San
27th March 2007, 06:30 AM

Nope, don't ask me why though. I blamed the fact that my country is located so close to the equator. Perhaps we might see snow in this area for another five million years when the platonic movements under the earth's crust moves us either north- wards or south- wards.

None but we have occasional showers and thunderstorms during the monsoon season in the November/ December period.

No, I don't even remember a day when we don't have to go to school because of the weather. During the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) contingeny period, we have to even go to school and work despite the virus being air-borne and contagious.

The most downfall if I can remember was last year from the monsoon thunderstorm brought in too much rainwater. The canels no longer can support the amount of water intake and it overflows into low lying streets. The situation was so bad that the vehicles can no longer move and we can see some residents fishing in the flooded street.

I doubt we will see the same situation this year since the public utilities board had had taken steps that this would not occur again.

homeofmew
27th March 2007, 02:12 PM
We don't get snow days here but January this year it did get icy and all of Houston was shut down. We have Ice days and Rain days here. The main reason is a lot of our roads are high and scary to drive even in good weather

Drago
27th March 2007, 07:26 PM
Nope, not here in dull old Melbourne, where all the seasons are practically the same, other than the length of the day and the amount of humidity. :( To avoid monotony however, I might refer the rest of my answers to my old home of Courtenay, B.C., where there was quite obviously snow.

'twas every year without fail, and usually a fair amount too. Always seemed to be more than you would have expected.

In Courtenay it was very rare that I ever got the day off, except days where it was just impossible to get out on the road. Those were always kickass days, though I don't remember ever spending them actually playing in the snow. Here in Aus, unless you were in VCE it was generally acceptable to take the day off if it was 40 degrees celsius or higher, though that kind of fell to the wayside when they became more common.
Only other weather-related absence was when there was so much rain the previous night it flooded our library and some of the school grounds so we had the day off. That was seriously like one of the best days of my life, everyone calling everyone that morning, the exhilaration you felt when you realise you had been given freedom for that one glorious day, then the mass congregation at my house to replace our studies with some Smash Bros Melee. Oh hell yeah.

Can't remember the year in Courtenay, but it must've been at least 2 1/2 feet. The cat got stranded out in the gazebo, tried to swim through the backyard to get back to the house to no avail. Was quite hilarious watching my dad carry him back as he freaked out and went diving back into the snow.