PDA

View Full Version : Shuppet Master vs. Hinoryu (Ref: Phoenixsong)

Shuppet Master
27th February 2007, 10:15 AM
Well, I finally got the hang of this ASB thing, so if anyone wishes to battle with me, I'll take you on in a two-on-two. (Just to start slow.) :D

Hinoryu
27th February 2007, 02:40 PM
I'll give it a shot.

Shuppet Master
27th February 2007, 03:13 PM
Okay, all we need is a ref. Anyone interested? Hinoryu, you can choose the battlefield, okay? :)

Hinoryu
27th February 2007, 03:38 PM
Well, since my overcomplicated G.U. field seemed to turn away refs, let's go with an easy one, that should be familiar to any Yugioh GX watchers. Neo Space, a glowy rainbow place with a strange resemblance to a drug trip, where people seem to be able to stand on thin, rainbow-colored air. Or swim through, glide on, or whatever the pokemon's normal method of transportation is. Sound fair?

Shuppet Master
27th February 2007, 10:27 PM
That'd be great! I love Yu-Gi-Oh GX! Now we just need a ref. Anyone out there available for a ref of our battle?

EDIT: Oops, forgot the time allowed to procrasinate before you get DQ'd. A week is fine, I understand that Hinoryu might be in other battles so he(or she, what gender are you, Hino?) can't post all the time. And to be fair, I'll let Hino go first and he can also attack first.

EDIT 2: Okay, I really really hate having to bump, but I made a challenge and I want someone to ref it! If nobody is available(they are all out or busy), then I apologize for blowing my head off, but I'd like to start my first ASB battle, please. :mad:

EDIT 3: (Picks up phone and dials the ASB Referee Hotline.)

"We're sorry, but no referees are available at this time. Please leave..."

ARGH! (Slams phone down.)

Seriously, all we want is a ref! I apologize for spamming, but someone has to be available!

Phoenixsong
21st March 2007, 03:29 PM
Since Shup has asked me, very nicely, if I wouldn't mind taking on one more match, and because Neo-Space sounds like fun (annoying as it was in the show), I will ref. Do either of you have any specifications as to banned moves, damage caps, etc.? Go ahead and agree on those now, and then Hinoryu can post his/her first choice, Shup can post his first choice and Hinoryu can attack. (Unusual way of handling things, but meh. Whatever you want...)

Shuppet Master
21st March 2007, 06:41 PM
Well, I don't really care if Rest is banned, since I don't use it on any of my Pokemon. As for damage caps, my team is just starting out, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Hey, Hinoryu, would you reply and tell me what rules you want in effect during this battle?

Hinoryu
22nd March 2007, 11:45 PM
I haven't actually battled yet, so I have nothing real big. No banned moves or damage cap works for me.

Shuppet Master
23rd March 2007, 11:07 AM
Okay then, let's start the battle! Post your first choice, then I'll post. :)

Hinoryu
23rd March 2007, 09:07 PM
Well then, in a fit of irony, I'll have Shin the Shuppet test the waters.

Shuppet Master
23rd March 2007, 10:55 PM
A Shuppet, eh? Why do you think I have my current user-name as it is? :D

Okay then, I'll throw out K.Snake, my Ekans, in response. Go K.Snake! (Throws out his Pokeball and his Ekans appears.)

"Ekanssss..." (glares - not Glares - at me)

*kicks himself in the butt* I'm sorry, K.Serpent! I forgot your name. Don't take it personally.

EDIT: I forgot I submitted my Ekans as K.Serpent and called it K.Snake by mistake. It's K.Serpent!

Hinoryu
24th March 2007, 05:41 PM
All right, Shin. I don't believe poison has an advantage against ghosts, so we should be fine, but cautiousness is always a good thing. Start out with Will-o-wisp, and burn that snake but good. Next, Screech at it to disorient it and lower its defenses. Then get behind it and finish this round up with a Faint Attack to the back.

Will-o-wisp - Screech - Faint Attack.

Shuppet Master
24th March 2007, 09:37 PM
(Heh. *Bug Bunny voice* They don't know us very well, do they? :D)

K.Serpent, it looks like they're trying to cripple us. Use Dig to dodge that Will'O'Wisp, then use the second turn to strike that ghost from underground. Regardless of whether it evades or not(Shuppet may float, but it doesn't have Levitate so Dig should work - however, I'm not going to assume game mechanics are all in play here), strike it with a Bite.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to summarize the moves. Dig(dig underground) - Dig(emerged under the enemy for a strike) - Bite

Phoenixsong
26th March 2007, 08:20 PM
Awhoops! I was just about to start the reffing when I realized I was missing a teensy bit of information. You two seem to have neglected to post the genders of your Pokémon. I sorta-kinda-almost-just-a-little need to know those.

...For future reference, Shup, abilities are not currently used in TPM's ASB, so "game mechanics" are not in play in that sense. Shuppet does indeed hover, however, so we'll see how that plays out. Also, it isn't necessary to summarize attacks at the end, although it does make things a bit clearer. Don't worry about it if you forget, though. (Oh, and you can edit the topic title to reflect the challenger and ref now, heh...)

Shuppet Master
26th March 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, Phoenixsong. My Ekans is a girl.

Hinoryu
26th March 2007, 10:45 PM
Shin is a male, though why ghost puppets have genders is a mystery to me.

Shuppet Master
31st March 2007, 02:38 PM
To Phoenixsong - it's been four days since the last message, and DQ time is a week from the last post. If you don't post something in the next three days, we'll consider you bowing out of the battle and ask for a substitute ref. If none is found, this battle will be dropped.

Just wanted you to know, Phoenixsong.

Phoenixsong
1st April 2007, 07:20 PM
I apologize for the lateness. I haven't had a chance to do reffings recently due to the increasing business of senior year. I most certainly have not forgotten about my reffings, though, and now that I'm officially on spring break I can do a better job keeping up with them. Yours and another match I'm reffing that hasn't started yet (on another forum, mind you) are top-priority, I assure you, and if they are not up tonight then those two--really, all of my reffings--should be done by tomorrow evening. I'll get the reffing done and edit it in as soon as I've finished that one, as it's been waiting just a tad longer than this has. The reffings should come faster after that for the next week, at least.

EDIT: Ohmkay, here we are. I've decided that I don't like writing pre-battle and post-battle summaries... it's so hard, especially for weird places like Neo Space... grrr. Anyway.

Shuppet Master vs. Hinoryu, Round One

Pre-Round Stats

Team Shuppet

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffa/dpffa023.png
K. Serpent (F)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Shuppet Master’s Commands:
Dig under ~ Resurface and strike ~ Bite

Team Hinoryu

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa353.png
Shin (M)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Hinoryu’s Commands:
Will-o-Wisp ~ Screech ~ Faint Attack

Arena

Neo Space

Aa glowy rainbow place with a strange resemblance to a drug trip, where people seem to be able to stand on thin, rainbow-colored air. Or swim through, glide on, or whatever the pokemon's normal method of transportation is.

Round One: Begin!

Neo Space… an alternate dimension full of strange creatures that exist beyond the boundaries of simple “light” and “darkness”. The aliens are currently nowhere to be found, however; all that can be seen is an endless stretch of empty, colorful space. As ethereal as the surroundings appear to be, Shuppet Master and Hinoryu appear to be able to stand on it as though it were solid ground; how very convenient, seeing as they have come here for a Pokémon battle. Both trainers toss Poké Balls out into the Neo Spacian nothingness, revealing a male Shuppet named Shin and a female Ekans named K. Serpent. Both Pokémon are quite confused; they have absolutely no idea where the heck they are. All the same, though, both the specter and the snake refuse to let it get to them. They don’t want to be wigged out for their very first battle.

Ready to begin his first battle ever and eager to please his new trainer, Shin’s menacing eyes flash and his entire ethereal body begins to glow an eerie blue. The blue energy shifts and twists until several long tendrils of spectral bluish flame are slithering towards K. Serpent. The Ekans, however, has no intention of being burned by her foe’s Will-o-Wisp, so she slams her face into… well, nothing, really, but she somehow manages to wriggle herself into a lower “plane” of Neo Space and wait there. One wonders whether or not one could actually call that “Digging”, but it does the trick; Shin’s Will-o-Wisp passes harmlessly overhead.

Confused, Shin looks around to see why K. Serpent was not burned by his attack. To his great dismay, he sees her floating some distance below him. Darn! Oh, well, then… were this battle taking place on solid ground, she might not be able to, oh, I dunno, hear him. The little ghost highly doubts, however, that the same holds true here, and he opens up his mouth to unleash a horrible banshee Screech. The unearthly scream reaches K. Serpent with ease, and the Ekans squirms and writhes in agony, unable to block the sound out. Shin holds his spectacularly off-key note for about a minute and finally stops; K. Serpent twitches a few more times and finally stops, giving a low hiss of relief. She doesn’t quite have the time to collect herself properly; instead, she wriggles upward as fast as she can, forcing herself out of her current plane, back into the original one and finally slamming into Shin as hard as she can given his insubstantial state.

Shin retaliates by doing a bit of a vanishing act of his own. Instead of moving to a different Neo Spacian plane, however, the Shuppet disappears completely. As his foe glances around the area in an attempt to discern his location, Shin reappears behind her and rushes right at her. K. Serpent is startled and injured by the Faint Attack and sits for a moment, shaking her head; she has no idea what’s just hit her, especially with her ears still ringing rather violently. Still, her head is clear enough to tell her that whatever just happened was all the Shuppet’s fault. Before Shin can stop chuckling long enough to get out of the way, K. Serpent strikes with blinding viper speed and Bites her enemy, fangs infused with Dark energy and sinking into Shin’s ectoplasm. Shin yelps with pain and continues to whimper even after the snake releases him.

The first round of the Neo Spacian brawl draws to a close with both young Pokémon whimpering softy; Shin still feels the sting of the super-effective Bite, and K. Serpent can’t get rid of the ringing and buzzing in her ears. The two novice trainers will have to take this into account as they choose their next attacks.

Round One: Close

Post-Round Stats

Team Shuppet

K. Serpent (F)
Health: 95%
Energy: 86%
Status: Defense -2 (+4% physical damage taken); ears ringing

Team Hinoryu

Shin (M)
Health: 86%
Energy: 88%

Arena Status

All psychedelic and trippy, thanks for asking.

Ref’s Notes
-Technically, Shin flinched due to K. Serpent’s Bite. It didn’t have an effect on this round’s outcome (the execution of attacks, I mean), but it did make him nervous.

-Shuppet Master attacks first next round.

Shuppet Master
1st April 2007, 10:07 PM
Okay, K.Serpent, looks like sonic attacks still work even while digging here, so we're going to have to be very careful! Let's go defensive this round - start by using a Glare to paralyze the Shuppet(as much as I hate hurting those guys) and then Haze away that Screech(unless Haze works here like it does in R/B/Y and heals status conditions - but I'm not going to assume that), then do a Screech of your own, give that ghost a taste of its own medicine!

If it tries to use Will'O'Wisp at any time during this turn, use Poison Sting to deflect it.

Actions: Glare - Haze - Screech (sub: Poison Sting)

Hinoryu
2nd April 2007, 01:30 AM
Okay, Shin, you're tougher than that snake, I know it. Stats aren't everything. It's going to start out with a Glare, so I want you to start before it if you can, and use Will-o-wisp again. It should abort the Glare to use Poison Sting, but if it doesn't, instead of Will-o-wisp, use Spite to at least make sure it can't do it again.

Next, it'll Haze away your Screech. Go ahead and let it do that, then as soon as it's done Hazing, Screech again.

Finally, it's going to try a Screech of its own. When it does, I want you to lob a Shadow Ball right down its throat. With any luck, that'll both stop the Screech and deal pretty hefty damage. If not, well, a shot to the face never hurt anyone who wasn't the one getting hit.

Will-o-wisp - Screech - Shadow Ball

Sub: Spite if Will-o-wisp doesn't stop Glare

Shuppet Master
7th April 2007, 02:24 AM
Phoenixsong, are you there? It's been five days since the last message was posted...

Phoenixsong
7th April 2007, 03:43 PM
I'm here, Shup, I'm here. *sigh* I know I said I'd be more active, but, eh... ADD little me gets so very easily distracted. Although if you really want to catch my attention, it'd be easier to PM me the reminder instead of posting here.

And--not that I'm using it as an excuse for myself, as I certainly do try to keep on top of this stuff when I can--the unfortunate reality is that it's quite common for battles to go waaaay longer than five days without a reffing. Again, I'm trying my best not to do that, and I believe the other refs are as well, but just to point that out because, well, it's what happens around here.

Introduction paragraphs... bah. Who needs 'em?

Shuppet Master vs. Hinoryu, Round Two

Pre-Round Stats

Team Shuppet

K. Serpent (F)
Health: 95%
Energy: 86%
Status: Defense -2 (+4% physical damage taken); ears ringing
Shuppet Master’s Commands:
Glare OR Poison Sting ~ Haze OR Poison Sting ~ Screech OR Poison Sting

Team Hinoryu

Shin (M)
Energy: 88%
Hinoryu’s Commands:
Will-o-Wisp ~ Screech OR Spite ~ Shadow Ball

Arena

Neo Space

A glowy rainbow place with a strange resemblance to a drug trip, where people seem to be able to stand on thin, rainbow-colored air. Or swim through, glide on, or whatever the pokemon's normal method of transportation is.

Round Two: Begin!

After shaking her head a few more times in an attempt to clear it, K. Serpent turns her attention to her foe and Glares menacingly at him. Before she can lock eyes with him and paralyze him, however, Shin conjures up another ball of ghostly fire and directs it at K. Serpent. Thinking quickly, the Ekans stops glaring and instead sprays a fusillade of thin, needle-like Poison Stingers at the dancing Will-o-Wisp, tearing it to shreds.

K. Serpent frowns; that wasn’t what she’d wanted to happen. All the same, she wants the ringing in her ears to stop and she wants it to stop now. The snake opens her mouth and sprays out a thin Haze, obscuring some of her surroundings; however, the cool feeling of the mist relaxes her somewhat and causes the ringing to subside a little bit. Or, well, temporarily, anyway. Unwilling to give his foe a break, Shin Screeches for a second time, sending K. Serpent reeling; as the haze is fading away now, it does little to comfort K. Serpent’s pain.

Before Shin has a chance to admire his handiwork through the fading mist another Screech tears through Neo Space; the Shuppet panics as the horrific noise fills his ears. He looks around angrily, trying to discover the source of the offending sound, and sees a smirking K. Serpent. A blast of spectral energy aimed right at her smug maw should clear that up nicely… and it does. K. Serpent hisses in pain as the Shadow Ball strikes her square on the nose.

One would have thought Neo Space to be an eerily quiet place… not so much any more, what with all the screaming going on. Shuppet Master and Hinoryu keep their hands pressed against their ears (something their poor Pokémon really wish they could do) as they work out their next orders.

Round Two: Close

Post-Round Stats

Team Shuppet

K. Serpent (F)
Health: 81%
Energy: 78%
Status: Defense -2 (+4% physical damage taken); ears still ringing

Team Hinoryu

Shin (M)
Energy: 75%
Status: Defense -2 (+4% physical damage taken); still wary of the annoying snake and now has a headache

Arena Status

All psychedelic and trippy, thanks for asking.

Ref’s Notes
-Even though Glare was aborted in favor of Poison Sting, K. Serpent still used some energy for it.

-Hinoryu attacks first next round.

Hinoryu
7th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Well, let's see. I'm fuzzy on the rules if we're allowed TM moves or not, so let's avoid them for now, just to be safe. Open up with a Faint Attack, and hope the vanishing from that avoids whatever move that snake opens up with. Next, go for a point-blank Shadow Ball while you're right there. But close quarters are probably a bad idea, with how bad that Bite hurts, so back off, and fling a Night Shade at it to push you farther away.

Faint Attack - Shadow Ball - Night Shade.

Phoenixsong
8th April 2007, 12:38 AM
It's a bit late to change your attacks now, but for future reference ANY move your Pokémon can legally learn in any English-released generation (RBY, GSC and RSEFRLG, not DP) is allowed (with a few exceptions, such as Hidden Power and and any NYPC moves it might know). So, for example, Shin can use any move a Shuppet can learn as of RSE, including any TMs, HMs, bred-on moves, etc. When DP come out, Shuppet's movelist will change. However, as far as ASB is concerned Shin can still use any of his RSE moves AND any of his DP ones even if a move is in one generation and not the other.

Or, as a better example, there's K. Serpent. Ekans is a first-gen Pokémon who learns completely different moves in each generation. So, for example, Ekans can learn Substitute from RBY's TM 50. In GSC, Ekans could learn TM 11 Sunny Day, even though Sunny Day didn't exist in RBY; it could no longer learn Substitute, however, because in GSC TM 50 was Nightmare. And in RSEFRLG, Ekans can learn TM 41 Torment. In Diamond and Pearl it will have other moves. So, while technically in any one generation of games there are certain moves Ekans can't know, in ASB it knows ALL of them from ALL generations.

...That was probably confusing, so simply put I'd suggest you'd look at this page (http://www.psypokes.com/dex/psydex/353/learnsets) to see all possible moves for Shuppet. Click on the "RSE" tab to see all of your options for Shin; the options on the "PD" tag won't be valid until at least April 22nd, but after that you'd be able to use absolutely any move you wanted to from either of those tags.

Here are all possible moves for Ekans, as well. (http://www.psypokes.com/dex/psydex/023/learnsets) As long as the move doesn't appear exclusively on the PD tag (like Poison Coming or even older moves like Disable), it's a perfectly valid choice in ASB.

I hope that cleared it up for you, Hino, and for Shup too if you were confused about that. If you weren't, ignore me.

Hinoryu
8th April 2007, 02:33 AM
Excellent, thank you. Now I have a decent strategy in mind.

Shuppet Master
8th April 2007, 02:57 PM
I know I said I'd be more active, but, eh... ADD little me gets so very easily distracted.

Hey, I feel your pain. I get easily distracted too, which is why I haven't been active in my fanfiction writing lately. (Kicks himself in the nether regions.) This countdown to the new Diamond/Pearl games isn't helping any. :mad:

EDIT OF EDIT: Dang it! Sorry, apologize for not understanding this whole stupid ASB thing. I misinterpreted Pheonixsong's PM request to PM reminders, not our turns. Sorry to all. :(

(Erases lPM to Phoenixsog about his strategy, which would have probably gotten messed up anyways.)

Okaaaay, let's try this again...

K.Serpent, use Dig to avoid that Faint Attack. Try to surface right beind that ghost, surprising it with an attack from behind, which should make it your third move, then use Iron Tail on that thing's face, sort of a sweet revenge. :D

Dig - Dig (takes two turns) - Iron Tail