PDA

View Full Version : Gmail?

Phoenixsong
5th March 2007, 10:25 PM
Um. Yeah. I just tried to switch my email address to my Gmail account, and it said that the admin had banned it. Is there some sort of difficulty with Gmail that I can't use that account? I mean, I really don't use my old account any more... so... um. Why?

mr_pikachu
5th March 2007, 10:56 PM
To put it simply, Gmail accounts are very insecure. We've had some problems in the past with existing users losing their identities when others infiltrate their Gmail accounts and steal activation E-mails, so that domain has been disallowed.

I'm not sure if any other domains have been disabled; I don't recall any offhand. If there are others, then they likely include Yahoo and Hotmail just because of the ease with which you can create accounts. But I don't believe those are banned; Gmail is just notorious for its susceptibility, so it had to be done.

Perfect Chaos
6th March 2007, 11:56 PM
That's odd...I believe my TPM account is under my Gmail account and I haven't had any problems yet...

Jeff
7th March 2007, 05:29 PM
Existing accounts that already use one of the banned services are allowed to keep using them. People just aren't allowed to switch to them nor are new users allowed to register using them.

Saffire Persian
7th March 2007, 10:57 PM
One thing you could do, Phoenixsong, is set-up your old e-mail to TPM again, and have said old account to forward all TPM e-mails to your new g-mail account. That way, you'll still get the e-mails to your g-mail account..

Lady Vulpix
8th March 2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, but that would defeat the purpose of not having Gmail accounts. If someone managed to hack into it, they'd get the mails from TPM anyway.

Saffire Persian
8th March 2007, 02:34 PM
Yes, but that would defeat the purpose of not having Gmail accounts. If someone managed to hack into it, they'd get the mails from TPM anyway.

Yes, but the person's decision about what e-mail to use is their choice. If the e-mail was listed, it would be the more secure one that wasn't g-mail, and the person who's into the hacking business wouldn't know the account forwarded to a secret g-mail one, if you get what I mean. :/