PDA

View Full Version : The Character Contest - Sign Ups!

Weasel Overlord
13th March 2007, 01:24 PM
I have an idea for a new tournament type thingy which I’d like to start in the Easter holidays. ^_^

The Character Contest! - Idea Phase

Basically, it works on the premise that everyone, no matter how good an RP'er, has their own little clichés, their own comfortable character types they fall into again and again.

This is intended to be both a fun contest of skill, as well as an exercise in creativity which should really help with character creation in general.

The idea is this; every person who signs up for the contest has to have a really good think and come up with a list of things that they hate in a character, and a list of all the things they usually prefer to have in a character, too.

For me, I like male pretties, so a quality I'd write down would be "unattractive" with some "bald" thrown in there somewhere too.

Once you have this list, you post it in the topic, and then the judge(s) pick some things off the list and you have to make a character which incorporates those things, as well as a set task per round.

So, for example, I would have to create a bald character who is really emo, but for a hypothetical task, I'd also have to make him/her associated with a god in some way, or something like that.

The tasks will aim to help people research for their characters, which I've always thought makes for a better character in the long run.

Perhaps later on, there would be a final round where you post with the character, I dunno. Figured I'd get feedback first ^_^

So! Pick it apart, do your worst, volunteer to be a judge, throw around ideas, etc.

I don't want it to be just us mods who judge this thing, since just cos we're mods doesn't mean we're automatically good RP'ers.

Asilynne
13th March 2007, 03:08 PM
Im kinda "Post traumatic Stress" about being a competitor since the last one took forever to get anywhere *looks sideways at RPG tourney with mistrust* So Id like to volunteer to judge if thats ok :D or if not exactly judge then to help with planning and idea phase and to move it along with a big leather whip O.O Deadlines shall be final and no questions O.O

Weasel Overlord
13th March 2007, 03:26 PM
Yupyup, that's most certainly fine! ^_^ I'm aiming to have at least three judges, including myself, so if anyone else wants to have a go, let me know! I'm pretty easy to get hold of on both msn (messy_hair_welcome@msn.com) and AIM (Astarielle15).

Asi, once we have another person wanting to judge or something, prod me and we'll discuss! Glad someone's showing interest, anyway. ^_____^

Roy Karrde
13th March 2007, 05:10 PM
If you want to go on and have three judges why not have the mods judge? Kalah and I may not have much time but we can try. Besides then no one could complain about stacking the deck with judges with friendships and grudges.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
13th March 2007, 09:15 PM
Ahaha in regard to Roy's comment: NO ONE IS FREE FROM BIASEDNESS :O it's just how good you are at hiding it neh xD;;;
Anyways if you have absolutely no one else to do it I don't mind being a judge ^^ (I'd die as a competitor... just die)

EngiMatikul
13th March 2007, 09:43 PM
Why don't we all judge each other, and for everyone that judges they have to participate? As for as biasedness goes everyone is biased depending if they know a person well enough or not. It was kind of evident in the RPGer ranking system as well, I think.

Weasel Overlord
13th March 2007, 10:20 PM
Yupyup, I like that idea Engi. ^_^

And we could also have it so that people who often make a certain type of character judge that type. Like, I would judge the bishies, etc. Perhaps that would work.

Bulbasaur4
14th March 2007, 12:12 AM
xD Character idol! lmao

We'd have different character catagories... which is a fun idea in my part. Then maybe the winner of each character catagory can go head to head?
I wouldn't mind helping... although I'd prefer not to judge due to the fact that I have enough on my plate with my Naruto RPG and my upcoming RPG idea. ^_^;; *secretssecrets* But I'd love to help with any non-judging aspects... such as brackets, banners or what-not.
And I agree with Yi-wen... mods can be biased. *licks Yi* Of course I think I'm good at being neutral, but I don't want to judge anyways so that is pointless.

^_^
Yay for fun ideas!

Asilynne
13th June 2007, 06:39 PM
*pokes* Why must the good ideas always die young? :<

Mystic_clown
13th June 2007, 06:54 PM
CLEAR! *gives topic a shock* Live damn you! Live!

Weasel Overlord
13th June 2007, 07:02 PM
I figured it'd be best if we did this in the summer, when people have less things to do as well. I guess I forgot to say... *shifty eyes*

So yes! Summer! :D

Dr.McNinja
28th June 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm game, it's true that most people have typical characters they fall back on, I know I have a few similar character types I use a lot.

Weasel Overlord
11th July 2007, 03:03 PM
Well, as I said last time, summer looks like a good time to start this, so! I'm sending out a call for judges! There are three positions available; I will be the first judge, and then three other members or whoever wants to will compromise the last ones.

I'd prefer it if we had no more than two mods as judges, and then two other members as well to even it out a little bit.

If you're interested in being a judge, send me a pm stating your interest and if I get tons and tons, I'll, uhm, I dunno, sort something out then. Probably in the format of telling me why you think you'd be a good judge.

If we get the judges sorted out, then we can start planning the rounds and the criteria and everything. ^_^ Good summer fun, ay?

And if no-one replies or anything, I will turn the wrath of my yaoified-mod-tazer-stick on you. (and for those who like the tazer... it will not be nice -_-)

Wurzworth over and out! *salutes and runs*

Vulpix.ck87
11th July 2007, 09:38 PM
Shazzam, Kirkle! Give a little credit to the originals, neh? This could be fun, but I dread to think what we would come up with, ohnonono.

p.s. it is the summer now, get moving. Tazormod those miatches into the judge positions, dangit :3

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
13th July 2007, 01:14 PM
Hur hur, Ms. Overlordmod, I'm hereby applying to be backup judge should no one else fill the position. Not that I'm qualified to be one, mind you...

EngiMatikul
13th July 2007, 04:11 PM
IF BEING A JUDGE IS EASY AND REQUIRES NO WORK AND I CAN PLAY RO IN THE MEANTIME WHILE SLACKING OFF THEN I CAN BE ONE TOO

EDIT: I apologize for complete caps. *apologizes yet still doesn't change it*

Weasel Overlord
13th July 2007, 05:24 PM
YAY! PEOPLES! *glomps you all stickily* (and when I say "you all" I mean Engi. And Wenny too XD)

*scribbles Engi down in important-looking notebook*

*lays cunning trap to ensnare more judges*

Mystic_clown
13th July 2007, 06:19 PM
Hmm, I would like to take a crack at being a judge, but on the other hand, I want to compete in this. What's a man to do?

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
14th July 2007, 12:57 AM
*smacks Boxo* IF I CATCH YOU PLAYING RO WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE JUDGING ENTRIES, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S MY ENTRY, YOU'VE HAD IT, M'BOY.

Ugh. Capslock. *shuffles guiltily off to finish FFRPG post*

Bulbasaur4
14th July 2007, 09:40 AM
WHO KEEPS MAKING THE CAPS LOCKED? I'M GOING TO BEAT THEM OVER THE HEAD REPEATEDLY WITH MY FLAMETHROWER!!

... erm, yes... posting to say that I will not be judging, because for once in my life I'd like to compete it some RPG-related thingermuhbob.

Weasel Overlord
19th July 2007, 01:21 PM
So, so far the list of judges goes:

Me
Engi
-
Emo-sai (backup if needed)
Mystic (undecided)

Please, people! This can't go ahead if it has no judges. I'm willing to only have three, if necessary, but I'd much rather have a full four.

And it's ok Kalah, no-one will begrudge you the chance to participate. ^_^

Mystic_clown
19th July 2007, 05:34 PM
I'll be a judge then. Chances are I wont win anyway.

Outlaw JT
19th July 2007, 06:16 PM
I'll volunteer to be a judge.....

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
20th July 2007, 11:23 AM
Osu. I changed my mind and decided that I do want to be an evil nitpicking judge. *runs away*

Weasel Overlord
20th July 2007, 11:53 AM
Well M_c, if you still wanna take part, then Emo-sai can take your judge position. If you really want to judge, then I'll do the application contest thingy. But for now, I'd like to get some people signing up, I reckon.

So, if you want to participate in the contest, post in here to say so. Even if you've already posted, so that I can get a comprehensive list without having to scan through the thread again. ^_^

Asilynne
19th August 2007, 02:58 PM
I dont know how many judges there are currently because Im confused o.o but Id like to judge because as a participant last time well you know what happened *cry*

And if the judges are full then Id like to not judge, but to maybe help with all the rounds and help make up stuff to help set it up and move it along (before school starts for so many people x.x lol)