PDA

View Full Version : House Passes Timetable for Iraq!

mr_pikachu
23rd March 2007, 12:06 PM
House OKs timetable for troops in Iraq (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq)

Do I even need to say any more? Tell us what you think!

Roy Karrde
23rd March 2007, 12:21 PM
It wont make it out of the Senate, and if it does it will be Vetoed by Bush. It has so much Pork loaded in it that he could veto it just on that and look like the good guy. Anyway with as much good that is coming out of Iraq right now, with Suicide Bombings and IED Bombings dropping like a rock, I could see a phased withdrawl in the next few years if things keep going well.

TKnHappyNess
23rd March 2007, 01:38 PM
I can see a Democrat become the next President. Bush has screwed up the Republicans chances of staying in office.

Roy Karrde
23rd March 2007, 02:24 PM
I really cant man, Obama is too young and will eventually start lagging behind or something will happen to him. Hilary is just plain unelectable. Edwards is looking like he is using his wife's cancer to get votes. Meanwhile Gulliani is looking like a Right to Center Republican who did well during 9/11. Besides look at the House today, the Democrats are self imploding right now just to get one bill through.

mr_pikachu
23rd March 2007, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I could see any candidate getting elected. And I do mean any candidate. As much as I despise the majority of the people who have announced their intent to run for office, I have very little faith that the American people will recognize the same concerns.

Let's face it. When more votes are cast for American Idol than for the President of the United States, we've got problems.

(Pessimism++; yeah, yeah, I know.)

Anyway, back to the bill. Assuming that it is vetoed, do you think that the 2/3 majority from the Senate (or is it the House? I've shamefully forgotten) could be achieved to override the veto? What would that do to the war in Iraq and the overall political scene?

Roy Karrde
23rd March 2007, 05:02 PM
The bill just squeeked by in the House with a Majority, and I mean barely a majority. There isn't enough in the House or Senate to override the Veto, and it will get Vetoed, Bush has already come out saying he will veto it. As for the Political Scene, it shows that the Democrats right now can't get anything done with Iraq unless it requires a obscene amount of Pork, and that they would rather set Artificial Time Tables instead of a Set of Goals for getting out of Iraq.

I promise you, you will see the Republicans use this as ammo in the 08 elections, showing how the Democrats do not care about victory, and how dangerous there behavior is toward the troops, in how the only way they will fund the troops is through Pork.

Jeff
25th March 2007, 01:35 AM
This has "politically motivated" written all over it. August '08? Yeah, it's not like any major event is going on during the months following that time :rolleyes:. Either this thing gets killed, funding is delayed, the war effort slips, and the Democrats blame the Republicans, or it passes, troops get pulled out, Iraq collapses, and the Democrats blame the Republicans. Dirty politics, the kind I really hate.

And as for the exact numbers, it was really close at 218 to 212. In other words, it ain't getting through the Senate, and if it does, Bush will kill it. And if pigs sprout wings and take to the sky to avoid the icy draft blowing up from Hell, and the veto gets overridden, the Supreme Court could still get involved considering it is the President's job to be commander in chief, not Congress'.

mr_pikachu
25th March 2007, 01:54 AM
The only part of that argument with which I disagree is the Supreme Court aspect. When was the last time the judicial system actually did its job?

Yes, I'm exaggerating. And I'm doing so to make a point because I don't feel like actually looking up all the cases that reek with stupidity.

Roy Karrde
26th March 2007, 04:53 PM
You know to answer that question I could bring up two Controvertial topics, Abortion and the 2000 Election. Yet I'm not that evil ~.^

RedStarWarrior
28th March 2007, 09:11 AM
Timetables = Schedule for Terrorist Attacks...

Is Congress fucking retarded?

Mewtwo-D2
28th March 2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe it should have been called 'House Passes Timetable for Pork!'. Seriously, it hardly even mentions the troops in this mess of bacon.

Roy Karrde
28th March 2007, 12:28 PM
Alot of the stuff in there is shocking such as a Billion going to Spinach farmers. Half a Million to the Saleries and Expenses account. 25 Billion Dollars of Pork, none of this helps our soldiers. And lets not forget the timetable in this is one that comes when we are gaining momentum in Iraq, when people are coming back, when the numbers of IEDs and Suicide Bombings is dropping. I think that this is the first time since 2002 that everyone on this board can agree and support Bush when he vetos this Bill and asks for a Bill that is just for troop funding.

Blademaster
28th March 2007, 03:33 PM
Is Congress fucking retarded?

YES!

For Horus' sake, you're just now figuring that out?!