PDA

View Full Version : 95-Year-Old German Woman Catches Retirement Home Thief

Starry Might
5th April 2007, 02:27 PM
95-year-old woman traps thief

BERLIN (Reuters) - A 95-year-old German woman solved a series of mystery thefts in a retirement home when she set a trap, hid in a toilet, and caught the thief red-handed.

"It was a real case of Miss Marple," said a police spokesman in the eastern town of Saalfeld Thursday. "It's good to know there are still courageous old ladies out there."

The elderly sleuth left cash out in her room as bait and then withdrew to the toilet to lie in wait. A cleaner then entered and pocketed the money, unaware she was being watched.

"Then the old lady hit the alarm button in the toilet and staff in the home nabbed the cleaner," the spokesman said.

The cleaner, 36, later confessed to police she was responsible for other thefts from the home near the spa resort of Bad Lobenstein.
Original story (http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL051591220070405)

I saw a topic about this at ROMOTS (a "Sims" series forum I frequent), and I thought this was totally awesome. :lol: If she has grandkids, I bet they're thinking she's the coolest grandma in the world right now. :D

Magmar
5th April 2007, 09:59 PM
When I'm old, I'm gonna do that. I'm always finding things out. I'm crafty.

Jeff
6th April 2007, 12:00 AM
hid in a toilet

It's funny how differences in dialect can lead to phrases like that :P

Of course people get more clever with age, that'll teach people not to rob retirement homes.

TKnHappyNess
6th April 2007, 07:01 AM
How do you hide in a toilet? That doesn't really make sense.

-/Deathborn/-
6th April 2007, 07:06 AM
Hide in the bathroom, leave the door open a little.
Still...that is awesome.

Dark-San
6th April 2007, 07:51 AM
Coolest? Nah, I don't think so. What if the thief was armed? Her life could be in danger.

If my grandma would to do that, I hope probably advise her on doing such things. Of course I'm not being inconsiderated to the public for not exposing the crime or whatsoever, but it is just that I valued my relatives' lives over other things.

Seeker_of_Truth
6th April 2007, 10:37 AM
This 95 year old lady outta give lessons to that other 95 year old lady that got mugged in New York. You remember, that one that the stupid jerk hit in the head then pushed down. It really makes me sick how people think they can take advantage of and push around the elderly.
While growing up, I remember always giving up my seat for my great grandmother when she entered the room so that she could rest of legs. Meanwhile, sick and sadistic bastards are being abusive toward other people's grandparents in nursing homes across the globe. It really is a sad world that we live in.

As for this little old lady: bravo! While this was risky and could have gotten her seriously hurt, it was a brilliant scheme that I would have been proud to call me own. The only difference is that I would actually hide inside the toilet and not just in the bathroom. I would do this for no other reason than to say 'I once stuffed myself into a toilet'. XD