PDA

View Full Version : Super Paper Mario

PNT510
13th April 2007, 02:22 PM
It seems like the Wii has finally gotten a worthwhile game(that's not a mini game collection) that isn't Zelda. I wasn't planning on getting the game but I heard some good things about it, I had some extra cash, and my Wii has been collecting dust for a while now.

I've played maybe and hour or so and it's pretty good. The first 15 minutes are all talking. All I have to say is when the guy ask you if you want to save the world say yes! If you say no 3 times in a row it's game over and you have to restart your game. Kinda funny, but annoying as well because you have to go threw the opening cutscene again.

The actual gameplay itself is more like a tradition Mario game than the Paper Mario games. There is still leveling up and items, but it's mainly the old run and jump gameplay we've all grown up on. The transitioning from 2D to 3D is pretty fun, and because you're in 3D for such short periods of time the lack of analog control isn't that big of a problem.

From the looks of it there are 7 worlds and each stage is quite a bit longer than an old school Mario level. I'd say the game should probably be beaten in about 15-20 hours. Much longer if you wanna find all the secrets and collect all the cards.

If anyone else is getting it(or planning on getting it) you should chime in with your thoughts.

Alucard
16th April 2007, 03:49 AM
The graphics for this are beautiful. It's so vibrant, so clean and so well polished.

Mega Horny
16th April 2007, 04:34 PM
I got this game this morning, and I'm now just finishing the third chapter. As big as the shoes of the Paper Mario Francise are, this game certainly filled them. The new throw on it gives the game more edge and pace, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The only thing that is disappointing about the new 'spin' on the originally 'pure' RPG series is the fact that the bosses, although still satisfying, are a lot easier than usual. As always, the game is beautiful, humourous and clever, and includes a plethora of TTYD references. All in all, It pwns. Buy it.

Elec Man EXE
16th April 2007, 07:27 PM
Being a huge Paper Mario fan, and despite the changes to the gameplay, I really want this game. But I don't have the money for both this and Pokemon Pearl, and... well, this is a Pokemon forum. Which do you think I chose?

Blademaster
19th April 2007, 06:06 PM
I have to say, this game seemed rather underwhelming at first, but now that I've played for a couple of chapters, it's becoming a bit more enjoyable. The turn-based battle system, which I always find to be tedious, is no longer there - stomp a Goomba, and he's dead. Ahhhh, the good old days...

The whole game is very colorful and vivid, but I can't help but complain about one thing: Mario games are typically made to appeal to all audiences, but this one seems a bit... childish, actually. Aside from the main characters, almost every enemy and NPC looks like a 6-year old drew them, and while the main villian and his 'henchmen' are pretty amusing, I can't help but feel a bit embarrassed when playing in front of other people at times...

One final gripe I have is that this game uses only the Wiimote - I figured the Wiimote AND Nunchuk would be used, just to open up more possibilities. But the Nunchuk has been discarded, and this makes switching the Wiimote from 'play' position to 'Tippi' position a bit aggravating, especially in battles against multiple enemies or bosses where every second counts.

So... There's my two cents. Maybe I'm a bit biased from the last Paper Mario game, or the impending release of Super Mario Galaxy, but so far, I'm not as impressed with this game as I thought I'd be...

PNT510
19th April 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm actually glad it doesn't use the nunchuk. I feel that if they used it that they could have needless complicated the controls for such a simple game.

Blademaster
19th April 2007, 07:54 PM
I understand where you're coming from, Benny, but it's still a bit... I dunno, 'clunky' I guess is the word - switching from Tippi's 'Tattle' mode to regular game mode is annoying in battles; I think it'd just have been easier to use the Nunchuk to move and the B Button to activate 'Tippi Mode,' since as far as I can tell, the B Button doesn't really serve much of a purpose anyway...

Then again, I didn't bother reading the instruction manual, so I could be mistaken.

Link
21st April 2007, 06:52 PM
I'd get this game, but I don't have a Wii.....and I probably won't get a Wii for the next 5-6 months, but I will get one when I have the money or until there are more, better games out (like SSBB or Super Mario Galaxy). Oh well.

Alucard
4th May 2007, 05:12 PM
Since I only got to play this game for a couple of hours when I was in the states, now that i'm back home does anybody have any idea when a UK release is?

PNT510
5th May 2007, 02:14 PM
According to gamefaqs it's just TBA 2007. I also can't remember Nintendo saying anything because most of their press releases talk about Japan.