PDA

View Full Version : The TPM Battling League: 2007-08 Standard Tournament #1 (Final Standings)

mr_pikachu
22nd April 2007, 02:25 PM
The TPM Battling League
2007-08 ~ Standard Tournament #1

Admin Approved by Chris
Commissioner: mr_pikachu

This topic is to inform participants of the TPMBL about an upcoming tournament, for competitors in the tournament to report their battle results, and for pairings and results to be announced. It is not to be used for tournament registration.

To register for this tournament, follow the instructions given at the bottom of this thread.

Tournament Information

Basic Information
Standard Tournament
Single-Battle Style
Start Date: May 4, 2007

Lineup Clauses and Limits
Level Limit: 20
Legendary Clause
Species Clause
DS Style

Battle Clauses
Sleep Clause
OHKO Clause
Self-Destruct Clause

Tournament Limits
Maximum Players: 8
Maximum Round Duration: 5 days

Staff
Head TD: mr_pikachu
Assistant TDs: N/A

Tiebreakers
1. Solkoff
2. Cumulative
3. Median

Bonus Prizes
Champion: Charmander with Flamethrower and Brick Break (will be donated by Shadow Djinn)

Additional Notes
This is the first tournament of the TPM Battling League. Since everyone here is just getting started with Diamond and Pearl, we’re going to keep things simple. No more than eight competitors for this one, and all Pokemon must be at or below level 20. Each battle must be completed and reported within five days of when pairings are announced. Everything else is pretty much typical.

Obviously, you cannot train the Pokemon on your team once you’ve submitted your registration. Until the tournament is complete, your selected Pokemon cannot participate in battles within the game, because that would affect their stats.

Registration ends on May 4, which is 12 days from now. So start training, and don’t be late!

Registration

To register for this tournament, send a PM (Private Message) to the Head TD with your TPMBL ID# (found in the Rules, Ratings, and Standings thread). The PM must include the following information for all of the Pokemon you will use in the tournament:

Species
Level
Gender (if none, put “Genderless”)
Ability
Hold Item (if none, put “None”)
Move #1
Move #2 (if none, put “None”)
Move #3 (if none, put “None”)
Move #4 (if none, put “None”)

Your Pokemon must be listed in the order in which they are arranged on your team.

Negrek
22nd April 2007, 03:15 PM
The game autolevels everything to 50 or 100 for friend code Wi-Fi, right? Just want to know if I can be super lazy and not even bother to train everything to lv. 20 if they learn the moves I want prior to that level. And we'd be playing the lv. 50 Wi-Fi?

mr_pikachu
22nd April 2007, 03:26 PM
Okay, I heard that, but there hasn't been any reliable confirmation from what I've seen. I also saw some stuff calling that information a "rumor," so...

To answer your question, yeah. If it auto-levels, then the tournament will be done using Lv. 50, and I'll add that to the Glossary.

And the level limit is an upper bound... you could theoretically participate with a team of Lv. 2 Pokemon.

Negrek
22nd April 2007, 03:35 PM
Well, yeah, I know I could always underlevel; I was wondering if I could do it and not be at a disadvantage, since if there's autoleveling then a lv. 2 pokémon would be as strong over Wi-Fi as that same pokémon at lv. 15, unless there was some move that it needed between levels 2 and 15.

I'm pretty sure that Wi-Fi battling does the levels thing, but I could be thinking of PBR only; I'm positive that's how it works in that game.

Phoenixsong
22nd April 2007, 04:37 PM
It is entirely possible that this has been mentioned somewhere and I'm simply too distracted by my new DP to recall, but is there a limit (upper or lower) to the number of Pokémon you use?

mr_pikachu
23rd April 2007, 12:08 AM
Negrek: That's what some people told me. But others said it applied to Wi-fi battling, as well. Helpful, eh?

Phoenixsong: Only if a Pokémon Limit is specified. Since there's not one in this tournament, it's 6-on-6. (You can have fewer than six if you want, but I wouldn't advise it.)

Silent Dragonfly
23rd April 2007, 11:42 AM
And the level limit is an upper bound... you could theoretically participate with a team of Lv. 2 Pokemon.

Or level 1, considering that's the level that eggs hatch into now.

Hadn't heard about this bump to Lv50/100 feature, has it been confirmed?

mr_pikachu
23rd April 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm still investigating that. But even if the auto-limit feature does exist for Wi-fi battling (and I've heard conflicting reports in that regard), for this tournament we won't be using Pokemon above level 20. That will keep things fairly equal, even in terms of movesets and such.

Besides, this is mostly an icebreaker tournament anyway, so to speak. I wouldn't expect anyone to have a team loaded with Lv. 50 Pokes in such a short time. But Lv. 20 is quite reasonable; even though I'm not competing in this tournament, I've got eight or so Pokemon on the verge of that mark already.

Shadow Djinn
25th April 2007, 11:20 PM
Just a note, since the level 50 details are kinda fuzzy I'd just do level 20 to be safe, 'cause let's say a level 100 poke was downlevelled to 50...it might still have the same moves, which is somewhat unfair.

mr_pikachu
26th April 2007, 10:12 AM
Well, first of all, I don't think that downlevelling is possible. That would be seriously bad, since you could pull certain moveset tricks (like having a Metagross with Meteor Mash, for instance; this is only possible with a Metang at level 50).

However, the possibility of increasing levels is one of the many reasons that registrants have to PM the head TD with their Pokemon information, including levels and moves. That way if there's a conflict, we can verify whether the moves available match the moves registered and whether those moves make sense for the listed levels.

Negrek
26th April 2007, 01:34 PM
The game does downlevel, yes, if Wi-Fi battling is indeed equilevel. And technically, a metagross at level fifty with meteor mash is possible via the pomeg glitch; I don't know if you would call that "legit" or not, but it's possible working within normal parameters of the game code.

mr_pikachu
26th April 2007, 06:02 PM
I just talked with classy_cat18, who recently had her first Wi-fi battle. According to her, the game does not autolevel for Wi-fi battling.

I trust her more than I trust any of the websites I've been checking, so while it's still unofficial, it's probably safe to assume that the TPMBL battles (at least, those conducted on DS games using the Wi-fi network) will not have the auto-levelling feature.

mr_pikachu
29th April 2007, 08:30 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Shadow Djinn has graciously offered to give a Charmander with Flamethrower and Brick Break to whoever wins the tournament. (If he wins, he'll give it to the runner-up.) Make sure you give yourself the chance to win this prize! Register before it's too late!

Negrek
29th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Eh, if he wins, he can have a shiny fearow and a soul dew from me. Fair?

Mega Horny
29th April 2007, 09:33 PM
I'd enter if I could de-level my guys and figure out how to get my wifi working in time. Is there still space?

mr_pikachu
29th April 2007, 09:37 PM
Currently, yes. There are a few spaces remaining.

Blademaster
29th April 2007, 09:56 PM
Wi-Fi SUCKS.

I can NOT figure out how to work this thing for shit. I tried setting it up manually, but I have no clue what any of this computer lingo means. Isn't there a walkthrough or a 'Wi-Fi for Dummies' somewhere that can help me decipher this confounded thing?

mr_pikachu
29th April 2007, 10:02 PM
Wi-Fi SUCKS.

I can NOT figure out how to work this thing for shit. I tried setting it up manually, but I have no clue what any of this computer lingo means. Isn't there a walkthrough or a 'Wi-Fi for Dummies' somewhere that can help me decipher this confounded thing?

Try this: Nintendo Wi-fi Guide (http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumerservice/gettingStarted.do)

mr_pikachu
4th May 2007, 12:17 AM
It’s time to begin! Remember that you aren’t eliminated for losing; the tournament will continue until all three rounds have been completed.

Also, the trainer on the left is responsible for contacting the player on the right to start scheduling the match. (If your opponent doesn't contact you in a reasonable amount of time, take the initiative and contact them to avoid a double forfeit!) Please exchange Friend Codes before the time and date you arrange.

ROUND 1

1. Negrek (Negrek). . . VS . Classy (classy_cat18)
2. CuleX (Blademaster). VS . Aura (Shadow Djinn) .

Don’t forget to report your result once the battle in concluded. The next round will begin either when all results have been reported or when five days have passed from the time of this post, whichever happens first.

Good luck to all!

Phoenixsong
4th May 2007, 06:22 AM
I'd like to point out that I've heard you can "tell" the game to adjust levels over WiFi or something. I know someone else who's had several WiFi battles, and he claims that there is a way to do auto lv50 and whatever. Not that you really need to and I don't know how it's done (haven't used WiFi yet), but for future reference I believe that's possible. Could be wrong, though.

mr_pikachu
4th May 2007, 06:25 AM
According to several sources I've seen, you can do that in the Battle Tower. The game will auto-level your team and the teams of seven opponents (whose Pokemon are downloaded from the internet via Wi-fi and controlled by CPUs). This is apparently not the case in regular Wi-fi battles that are conducted between two humans.

Mega Horny
4th May 2007, 11:02 AM
don't think I'll be participating. Haven't yet figured out Wi-fi.

Shadow Djinn
4th May 2007, 05:32 PM
According to several sources I've seen, you can do that in the Battle Tower. The game will auto-level your team and the teams of seven opponents (whose Pokemon are downloaded from the internet via Wi-fi and controlled by CPUs). This is apparently not the case in regular Wi-fi battles that are conducted between two humans.

With FCs, you can do it. I've autolevelled to 100 dozens of times to check my pokemon's IVs.

Phoenixsong
4th May 2007, 06:14 PM
Whoa... now there's a use I hadn't thought of... o.o I should, liek, do that some time.

I wonder if any of the matches are underway yet? Wish there was a way to watch...

PNT510
5th May 2007, 02:21 PM
I've been having problems with my internet the last couple of weeks. Hopefully all the problems will be solved by the time the next tourny starts.

Goodluck to everyone participating.

Negrek
6th May 2007, 09:00 PM
Classy forfeited against me.

Edit: So does that mean I move on immediately and battle either Shadow Djinn or Blademaster, or do I have to wait for them to finish their match first?

Shadow Djinn
6th May 2007, 10:47 PM
Blademaster and I have already battled: I won.

mr_pikachu
8th May 2007, 01:08 AM
I sincerely apologize for the delay; this has been an extremely... unusual week. (Honestly, I don't feel up to explaining it again right now.)

In any event, the pairings for the next round are ready!

ROUND 2

1. Aura (Shadow Djinn) . VS . Negrek (Negrek). . . .
2. Classy (classy_cat18) VS . CuleX (Blademaster). .

STANDINGS

. . . . . . . . . . . . . RD 1 . . . TOTAL
1 . Negrek (Negrek) . . . W4 . . . . 1.0
2 . Aura (Shadow Djinn) . W3 . . . . 1.0
3 . CuleX (Blademaster) . L2 . . . . 0.0
4 . Classy (classy_cat18) L1 . . . . 0.0

By the way, please post your match results in this thread. Posting logs probably wouldn't be appropriate since that could give away battle strategies; the head TD will only ask for them to be PMed in the event of a dispute. But giving win/loss results is perfectly acceptable, since everyone will know about them before the following matches anyway.

This is the second of three total rounds. Good luck to all!

Negrek
9th May 2007, 06:04 PM
I beat Aura.

mr_pikachu
11th May 2007, 12:49 PM
Since I may not be able to get online later today or tomorrow, this is just a reminder that we have about a day and a half left for the second round. All scheduled matches must be completed and reported by then.

Mega Horny
11th May 2007, 01:41 PM
...Have I won?

mr_pikachu
11th May 2007, 01:52 PM
Well, no. You never entered this tournament, MH, so you're not competing. Next time, make sure you register before the tournament begins.

mr_pikachu
13th May 2007, 05:26 PM
Since the second match of last round was never reported, I have no choice but to declare that battle a double forfeit. Please don't forget to schedule your battles, hold them, and conduct them in the future.

Anyway, it's time for round three. Get ready!

ROUND 3

1. Negrek (Negrek). . . . VS . CuleX (Blademaster). .
2. Aura (Shadow Djinn) . .VS . Classy (classy_cat18) .

STANDINGS

. . . . . . . . . . . . . RD 1 . . . TOTAL
1 . Negrek (Negrek) . . . W4 . . . . 2.0
2 . Aura (Shadow Djinn) . W3 . . . . 1.0
3 . Classy (classy_cat18) L1 . . . . 0.0
4 . CuleX (Blademaster) . L2 . . . . 0.0

Also, I have a question for those of you competing in the TPMBL (even if you didn't enter this tournament). Do you prefer tournaments where each round is several days long, like this one, or would you rather have each tournament last one day with each round lasting only a few hours? Since this league is all about the players, I'd like to run tournaments the way you'd like them to be run. So do long tournaments like this work best, or should the time be condensed?

Dark-San
13th May 2007, 08:40 PM
Also, I have a question for those of you competing in the TPMBL (even if you didn't enter this tournament). Do you prefer tournaments where each round is several days long, like this one, or would you rather have each tournament last one day with each round lasting only a few hours? Since this league is all about the players, I'd like to run tournaments the way you'd like them to be run. So do long tournaments like this work best, or should the time be condensed?

Swiss round is too time consuming and it might not work in the best way for an online tournament. The ones I've participated in are usually your knocked out type which means you lose one and you're out. Its faster and is quickly done over with.

However if we are to stick with this Swiss round, give an appointed timing. The problem is some members here do not provide their MSN or AIM contacts which make it difficult for the opponents to look for them. Even if they do have it, they are not even online. The main reason for this might be the difference in the time zone.

Negrek
17th May 2007, 02:53 PM
I beat Blademaster.

Phoenixsong
17th May 2007, 03:51 PM
I know we'd all like the tournaments to move as fast as possible, but simply put it's just not convenient to try and cram it all into one day. Different time zones, people not always being online, busy lives... I think a timeframe of a few days, as has been the case with this tourney, is the best idea. Most of us here are older fans who would love to devote a day to battling friends in a tournament but, realistically, have other things to do. So, yeah, I think this works fine. Although, of course, it then falls on the competitors to try and move as quickly as is conveniently possible so as not to hold things up.

Jim Crill
17th May 2007, 06:09 PM
Quick question, what about EV trained pokemon? I'm currently EV training a Torterra and if I were to battle someone and it was autoleveled, would my EVs still be taken into factor?

Negrek
17th May 2007, 06:26 PM
Yes, all EV's you have earned will count for battles at any level. Autoleveling just recalculates your stats to the desired level, taking into account the pokémon's current EV's, IV's, and so on.

Andrew
17th May 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm interested in WHAT type of Pokemon each of you used.

Negrek
18th May 2007, 02:32 PM
I won't be playing any more rounds this tournament, so I think it's safe to show my team:

Nidoking @ Choice Glasses [Terminate]
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 spd, 252 attk, 4 hp

- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Vaporeon @ Leftovers [Ameliorate]
EV's: 128 HP, 252 Def, 32 Sattk, 96 Sdef

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Wish
- Protect

Alakazam @ Lum Berry [Obfuscate]
EV's: 252 spd, 252 sp attk, 4 hp

- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind

Skarmory @ Leftovers [Enervate]
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 attk

- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Drill Peck
- Rest

Gliscor @ Leftovers [Eviscerate]
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Attk, 252 spd, 4 HP

- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Snorlax @ Leftovers [Aggravate]
Nature: Careful
EV's: 164 HP, 76 attk, 132 def, 136 sp def

- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Fire Punch

mr_pikachu
18th May 2007, 11:54 PM
News flash: AOL sucks. I tried to log onto TPM over a half-dozen times using it on my dad's laptop before finally giving up and using IE. Ah well. My dad's asleep; what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

Anyway. Five days have passed since the pairings were announced. That means that round three - and the first TPMBL tournament - are now over! Here are your final results. (Competitors whose ties could not be broken by the given playoff systems will split Grand Prix points.)

FINAL STANDINGS

. . . . . . . . . . . . . RD 1 . . RD 2 . . RD 3 . . . TOTAL
1 . Negrek (Negrek) . . . W3 . . . W2 . . . W4 . . . . 3.0
2 . Aura (Shadow Djinn) . W4 . . . L1 . . . -- . . . . 1.0
3 . CuleX (Blademaster) . L2 . . . -- . . . L1 . . . . 0.0
4 . Classy (classy_cat18) L1 . . . -- . . . -- . . . . 0.0

I'd like to offer my thanks to all of you who competed, as well as congratulations to our champion, Negrek! I hope to see you all in future TPMBL events.

Incidentally, after taking all of your suggestions about tournaments into account, I have completed preparations for the next competition. The announcement for it will be made as soon as I have made sufficient room in my inbox to receive registrations. So once again, thanks for competing, and I'll see you around!

Mega Horny
9th June 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm ready for a tournament, I guess. I think we should have a competitive level 100 one.

mr_pikachu
9th June 2007, 01:56 PM
Well, if you're looking for a tournament, we've got one (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15935) that's going to start soon. Why don't you give it a shot, MH?

Anyway, this competition's been over for quite some time, so I'll go ahead and close the thread. There are still 10 hours to register for the next tournament (not counting late registrations). Don't miss out; get in the game!