PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who 2007

Andrew
27th April 2007, 12:31 AM
So, those not illegally downloading it, or in the UK, beware, there are spoilers.

How are we all liking it so far?

Myself:

Smith & Jones - A nice intro, Martha seems nice, and it's a decent episode. The Jidoon on the moon was amusing.

The Shakespeare Code - It was decent, but the time didn't ring true with everyone far too friendly.

Gridlock - Annoying, cheap and while it was good to see CutNun and Boe again, really... I could've done without this.

Daleks in Manhattan - Boring.

Martha is good, but the adventures so far - Not so much.

AntiAsh Superstar
28th April 2007, 07:06 AM
Myself I'd say this is far better than the previous series just coz we've gone back to a more 'classic' detachment between the Doctor and his assistant; he's fond enough of her but has'n actually FALLEN for her and that's why I couldn't stand Rose; of all the females in time and space how come he got overly attched to a random chav?

Smith & Jones annoyed me coz the Jidoon were wearing Sontaran uniforms and I was really hoping for a return from a lesser known old Doctor Who race.

The Shakespeare Code wasn't too bad actually. Especially when you consider we have to fit in a whole plot into 50 minutes. Part of the coolness of 'classic' Doctor Who stemmed from the fact that each plotline was 90 to 120 minutes long (i.e. usually 3-4 half hour episodes that in the 80s devolved into 2-3 50 min episodes); they were happy to do multi-parters every single time and that isn't happening now. They can't afford to develop things as they should thanks to the modern viewing audience's lack of attention span. :(

Gridlock - funny, I actually quite liked this. Overall it's prolly my favourite episode so far. Seemed rushed but as I say, the modern demographic demands it.

Daleks in Manhattan - My feelingstowards this developed in three stages:
*pre-episode* - OMG they're running out of ideas again; they must be to have brought the Daleks back so soon...
*during epidoe* - OMG, some classic Dalek behaviour! Pretend to befriend a species, use them for as long as it suits then stab them in the back! Best Dalek episode yet since they brought Doctor Who back!
*at end of episode* - OMG. Sorry. We can accept some temporary insanity in the Daleks but seriously, this current batch are so out-there I as a viewer to this story can't even begin to accept they would exist. This is going against everything the Daleks ever existed for. This is a really, really bad fanstory, in fact saying that would insult a lot of fanfiction out there. Please can somebody have the insight to bring Davros back?

Pokemaster Ash
16th May 2007, 08:36 PM
Well I've been keeping track of the new series as much as I can, kinda spoiling myself on the new seasons. However I have come across this interesting little bit of info.

The recurring theme of the season is the mysterious Mr. Saxon. Rumor has it he might be another Time Lord, possibly the Master (which would be an extremely hard thing to explain, as The Master was killed by the Tardis itself in the movie with the 8th Doctor).

And also, it would be nice if they brought back more of the villains we know and love...besides the Daleks. Would be nice if we got to see the true Cybermen make their return (perhaps with an upgraded design based on the Cybus Industries model, but not the exact same thing). I think what happened in this season's Dalek eps kinda parallelled past actions of the Daleks in the old series.

Would also be nice to see more old companions again. Romana and K9 MK-II should still be in E-Space unless I missed something somewhere. If the Doctor accidentally winds up there again, he could pick them up. Also the episodes with more than one Doctor were usually pretty cool, too. Would be nice to see how Doc 10 acts around and reacts to some of his past selves (I think Docs 5 and 10 would get along pretty well, 4 and 9 in the same place would be a sight to see...)

Andrew
17th May 2007, 09:17 PM
Pokemaster Ash, it was mentioned in "Dalek" the original "True" cybermen, were defeated in our universe (Remember Van Statton's underground museum?). Only the CyberMen from the parallel world broke through (They felt this would be the only plausable way to re-introduce them without ruining OUR universe's Cyber-lore).

Still, Captain Jack is going to come back! HOORAH!

PLus, Mr Saxon! I am thinking he's perhaps the Master, OR! A half/TimeLord kid. Since, remember, Face of Boe said he wasn't alone, and yet he mentioned to Rose he was a father once. But I feel that Saxon will be in cahoots with Dalek Caan. The only one who escaped the Manhattan deal.

Pokemaster Ash
17th May 2007, 10:12 PM
Well the Daleks have been supposedly wiped from the universe time and time again and yet they seem to keep coming back. Can't rule out a few leftover Cybermen trying to do the same.

Besides, the Cybus Industries version Cybermen are out of the picture. If the Cybermen are ever going to return, it's got to be the real article that the Doctor has faced many times in the past.

As for Saxon....we'll just have to wait and see.

AntiAsh Superstar
18th May 2007, 07:59 PM
Pff, of course we're going to get some Master action. If there's one thing his appearances in Doctor Who has taught us it's that he can somehow survive in spite of, like, everything. :P We're talking the last major bad guy of the franchise here, they're gonna drag him back no matter what to chase ratings. I mean let's talk 'Mister Saxon' being an anagram of 'Master No. Six', for example. It's gonna happen, and if it turns out this is just a false alarm I'd put money on his return sooner or later.

Cybermen... pff, they could still return the original Mondas cybermen on the pretext of 'well we THOUIGHT they were all wiped out!'. And the Daleks have one serious, major advantage on their side to keep them going for as long as the scriptwriters want - Davros was never officially killed off was he? :D