PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames..

Storm
28th April 2007, 06:28 AM
Hey, I could be mistaken, but is this the first pokemongame in which the names of characters and pokemon's nicknames ar with only one capital. So not PLAYER but Player and not KILLINGMACHINE but Killingmachine?

Number1ChanseyFan
28th April 2007, 12:15 PM
Yep, I think so. I think that the Pokemon's names are still all capitals though, but their moves and people's names only have capitals at the beginning. It know it looks kinda strange because I am used to the all caps being used and when I named my character I still used all caps, and now it looks kinda weird. ^_^

Houndoom_Lover
28th April 2007, 01:24 PM
I use capitals and lower case, because it bothers me! I love nicknaming my pokemon, but I always wondered if I gave myself a certain name like they say I might have a better chase at glitches. But you can do upper and lower case ^_^

mr_pikachu
28th April 2007, 02:13 PM
You might have also noticed that moves and items which have two words combined to save space (like TWISTEDSPOON) now have the second word capitalized as well (TwistedSpoon).

Most interesting. Times have really changed, huh?

(And yeah, you've been able to use upper and lower case for naming purposes since RBY, I believe. The real changes in that regard are the moves and items.)

Storm
28th April 2007, 03:40 PM
I am used to the all caps being used and when I named my character I still used all caps, and now it looks kinda weird. ^_^

yup, me too :).. so as soon i found out i restarted the game

Houndoom_Lover
28th April 2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, well, I havn't noticed much, since my brother won't give up the DS. The tub of lard-o! The capital letters always bothered me *wiggles my noise* Along with the character never talking.

Silent Dragonfly
29th April 2007, 01:13 PM
Everything is in regular text now except the Pokémon's species. I imagine that is only because Pokémon uploaded via Pal Park would look odd with all capital names. Personally I welcome the change, it looks nicer overall.

rinku
29th April 2007, 06:52 PM
Pal Park imports would not be a reason for them to have kept the species name in all caps - the data file records species by an index number, not a text string. The way it looks is determined by the cart, not the data file.

I'd say it has to just be a style choice that NOA have made. The issue doesn't arise in the Japanese versions, since all pokémon names are spelled out in katakana in all cases.