PDA

View Full Version : Shinies!

Dark Sage
30th April 2007, 04:12 PM
I thought I'd start this post for anyone who wants to talk about any Shinies they find in D/P.

I found my first one today, and unlike most, it's a useful pokemon: A green Bronzor. Since it came knowing Hypnosis, it's incredibly useful for hunting more pokemon. (I searched the Old Chateau for a long time, but all the Ghastly I found were at least Level 12, and that was too high to know Hypnosis.)

Anyway, if you find a Shiny, feel free to let us know.

Mega Horny
30th April 2007, 05:00 PM
Found a shiny Noctowl in the Great Marsh. It fled, of course.

¬¬'

Dark Scizor
30th April 2007, 05:01 PM
I haven't seen a shiny since the days of GSC, when I saw them in abundance.

Ghost
30th April 2007, 05:11 PM
I found a shiny medicham, which I traded on Gamefaqs for A Bagon Larvitar and Eevee.

Storm
30th April 2007, 05:22 PM
now we live in the age of everyone having a digital photocamera and gameboys having backlight; wouldn't it be fun if everyone that finds a shiny will show the rest, i'm really curious!

mr_pikachu
30th April 2007, 05:25 PM
I agree with Storm; that's a good idea. If you've got a camera, take a picture! That'll be good, especially since I'm not sure the shiny sprites have been catalogued anywhere yet.

...After all, I'd like to see a shiny someday... >_<

Dark Scizor
30th April 2007, 05:32 PM
Serebii?

Negrek
30th April 2007, 06:03 PM
That'll be good, especially since I'm not sure the shiny sprites have been catalogued anywhere yet.
They have been cataloged for both female and male first and second frames, and additionally for male and female back sprites:

pe2k (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html)

And none for me thus far. Alas.

Storm
30th April 2007, 06:18 PM
They have been cataloged for both female and male first and second frames, and additionally for male and female back sprites:

pe2k (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html)

And none for me thus far. Alas.

I should really not visit those websites yet.. I didnt read much about Pearl yet, so everytime a new pokemon evolves I'm really excited, great original pokemon-experience, really feels like 'exploring' :)!

Sceptile_Master
30th April 2007, 06:34 PM
Still need to transfer my shiny blastoise and tentacruel over from fire red. Only two shinies I've ever got (apart from the obligatory ditto and gyrados's of gsc). There was an exeggcute in the safari zone once (it was golden) but it got away which I was really annoyed about because'd I'd have liked an exeggcute.

Dark Sage
30th April 2007, 06:37 PM
You think that was bad?

I found a Shiny Relincanth in Ruby once. Unfortunately, once I had False Swiped it down to one hp, it used Double Edge and knocked itself out! Just my luck, it was one of the 50% of Relicanth that did not have the Rock Head ability.

CuteLassJigglypuff
30th April 2007, 09:46 PM
I caught a shiny Bibarel at Route 209 in my Diamond game a few days ago. In my Pearl import, I traded a Roserade for a shiny Oddish (right now it's a Bellossom) at the GTS.

rinku
30th April 2007, 10:00 PM
Hah! I found a shiny Makuhita on Victory Road once, and then it used Whirlwind! AARGH!

Since then I ALWAYS train on VR with a suction cup type... ;)

Crazy Elf Boy
1st May 2007, 12:04 AM
At the moment I am training a Smeargle for Diamon and Pearl especially for catching pokemon, when I am done it should have the move set.

False Swipe
Block
Spore
Filler (Any suggestions?)

I only have a Shiny Sharpedo and a soon to be Shiny Flygon off my friend.

mr_pikachu
1st May 2007, 12:14 AM
CEB: Well, if you level it up like crazy, it should be able to take a few hits... maybe Swords Dance so that False Swipe will do major damage? Or an attack that can deal a lot of damage quickly... perhaps Focus Punch for use after an opening Spore.

With the former set, you'd usually start with a Swords Dance or two and then bash away with False Swipe. (You could use Spore beforehand to minimize damage to yourself, of course.) With the latter set, you'd always start with Spore, weaken the foe with a few Focus Punches, and then whittle away the last bit of HP with False Swipe.

Silent Dragonfly
1st May 2007, 12:13 PM
Friend of mine had a Geodude in Mt.Coronet.

Nothing for me as of yet, other than the two I migrated via Pal Park.

rinku
1st May 2007, 06:14 PM
I'd go with the swords dance option for a catcher. The trouble with the Sporepunch option is that a critical at the wrong time and the target is toast. Swords dance boosting false swipe is a no-risk option.

Another approach is to teach it one of the fixed damage moves, like Night Shade (also useful in that it allows you to use it better against ghost, steel and rock types).

Crazy Elf Boy
2nd May 2007, 12:10 AM
Another approach is to teach it one of the fixed damage moves, like Night Shade (also useful in that it allows you to use it better against ghost, steel and rock types).

Whoa thanks for that it completely slipped my mind, I might put in a Nightshade since I can estimate how much health the offending pokemon has left ^_^

rinku
3rd May 2007, 07:54 PM
Another good move is Super Fang - does damage equal to half the remaining HP.

Phoenixsong
4th May 2007, 06:21 PM
I've got a few shinies, yeah... and another one on the way tomorrow. Someone on the NSider forums disliked the colors of the shiny Ho-Oh he got, and he's trading it to me for a normal Ho-Oh. No DP Pokémon yet... someone has a shiny Floatzel that they were sort of offering up for trade, but I don't think they're gonna trade it to me... blegh. I does love Floatzel... *sob*

Sceptile_Master
4th May 2007, 06:53 PM
Got a shiny sceptile in a trade today thinking it was legit and I traded my magnezone for it so but after looking at his party it was obviously hacked. I'm flogging the hacked sceptile off to a decent offer now btw.

Trent
4th May 2007, 07:16 PM
Got a shiny Golbat in VR today. Nasty green though, disappointing. I might just end up trading it off to some scrub on the GTS.

rinku
6th May 2007, 08:15 PM
Got a shiny Golbat in VR today. Nasty green though, disappointing. I might just end up trading it off to some scrub on the GTS.

They turn pink when you evolve then to Crobat, though.

Jeff
6th May 2007, 08:40 PM
Has anyone heard that it's easier to get shinies with the pokeradar? Anyone know how this works?

Number1ChanseyFan
6th May 2007, 10:34 PM
Has anyone heard that it's easier to get shinies with the pokeradar? Anyone know how this works?
I don't have any firsthand experience with the PokeRadar yet, I am not that far in the game yet. However, I have heard that you can sometimes tell the type of Pokemon that will appear in the grass by watching how the grass shakes, if it shakes fast, than it is a rare Pokemon. Supposedly, by using that, as well as Repels, you can control the Pokemon that you encounter, and if you can build a chain of encountering the same Pokemon consecutively, (I think the PokeRadar is supposed to keep track of this) then the chances of encountering a shiny is supposed to increase. I am completely not sure about this, and this is only a rumor as far as I know.

Shuppet Master
6th May 2007, 11:05 PM
I found several shinies in my Japanese imported Pearl - Starly on Route 204, Glameow on Route 222, and Gastrodon on Route 219 via Pokeradar. I just recently ran into a Shiny Gloom on Route 229, but killed it because the Roserade's Sludge Bomb was too much for it - should have used my weaker Mismagius's Psybeam to weaken it instead. :(

Elec Man EXE
7th May 2007, 09:43 AM
Haven't seen a single shiny in Pearl, FireRed, Emerald, Ruby, or Sapphire. I've racked up well over 1500 hours between all of them. I suck :(

Storm
7th May 2007, 12:41 PM
are shiny pokemon actually inspired on the shiny gaming cards?

Silent Dragonfly
7th May 2007, 03:13 PM
are shiny pokemon actually inspired on the shiny gaming cards?

If you mean holographic cards, no. They aren't "shiny pokémon".

The first shiny pokémon were introduced in the 2nd generation of the games (Gold and Silver), and most people saw Shiny Gyarados first, as it was part of the game's story.

A little later the Trading Card Game (TCG) introduced "Shining Pokémon", which are the different coloured "shiny" pokémon from the games. I've heard in newer sets the word shining was replaced with a star symbol in the name.

RattataGuy
8th May 2007, 02:16 PM
The only thing I dislike about "shiny" pokemon is that it completely screwed up the innovative system of name-based coloration that we saw in Pokemon Stadium. Sure it didn't quite make sense that pokemon would suddenly get a new set of colors just because I became its trainer, but it made it more personalized sorta.

I'm crossing my fingers that the new wii game will go back to that coloration system and introduce a graphical enhancement to let you know if a pokemon is shiny.

Elekidkid
8th May 2007, 11:59 PM
Well, I certainly hope this wasn't a true random shiney encounter, but I'll report it just in case.

If this is a true case of random shiney generation, my first shiney ever (since the days of GSC) would be Elite 4 Bertha's Hippowdon. Please tell me it's supposed to be like that...

Shadow Djinn
9th May 2007, 12:01 AM
Female Hippowdons have different color schemes, iirc.

Silent Dragonfly
9th May 2007, 03:07 AM
Female Hippowdons have different color schemes, iirc.

Correct, one of the more noticeable changes between male and female in a species is Hippopotas and Hippowdon.

Male Hippowdon are a murky yellow colour whild female are a dark grey/blackish colour.

Negrek
9th May 2007, 01:30 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that the new wii game will go back to that coloration system and introduce a graphical enhancement to let you know if a pokemon is shiny.
No variance in color scheme, but shiny colors are supported and you can customize the way your trainer looks. So your pokémon won't change color, but your trainer model could.

RattataGuy
9th May 2007, 02:33 PM
No variance in color scheme, but shiny colors are supported and you can customize the way your trainer looks. So your pokémon won't change color, but your trainer model could.

Oh I know about the trainer customization. But in this day and age something like that is really just a given. Nothing "out of the ordinary" about customizing your own character.

But it really would have been nice to dump the whole shiny-color support in lue of something that really was innovative and different. We don't really get to see shinies all that often, and what are they? Just a general palette swap. That may be good enough for 2d sprites, but for a 3d figures that are supposed to be more of a "real world" representation of our beloved pokemon? And you know what? There's no reason why both systems couldn't be implemented, so I'll still have a little hope.

Come on GameFreak, at least give us something that shows that tangible variations exists within a pokemon species.

rinku
9th May 2007, 05:56 PM
It's worth noting that they would not need to add to the existing pokémon data file format to implement it - they can just extend the effect of the existing hidden values on the look. Especially with the 3-D models, there could be small variations in size and proportion.

Hinoryu
11th May 2007, 12:21 AM
The only shiny pokemon I have ever encountered is the obligatory Red Gyarados. My luck sucks.

Well. Okay, back in RBY, I did once find an odd-colored Missingno, but I somehow doubt that counts.

Also, on the subject of the shiny 3D models: Really, a 'shiny' pokemon, as I recall, is some sort of mutation or something, and should really make a pokemon weaker or more prone to certain problems, parallelled in albinism in real life.

However, it's a video game. Be grateful you're getting a (usually) cool pallette swap, and not stat reduction.

Dark Scizor
19th May 2007, 07:57 PM
I got a Shiney Mesprit!

First shiney I've gotten since the good old GSC days. One of you may now perform fellatio on me.

Jim Crill
20th May 2007, 07:36 AM
I was lucky enough to come across a shiny Camperupt up at Stark Mountain. It's all black and looks pretty cool, now it sits in my PC waiting to be traded for a rare pokemon.

Dark-San
20th May 2007, 09:32 AM
Oh, thats good news for everyone. I haven't been paying attention much to these shiny Pokemons but is it that these so- called shiny Pokemons have a different colour than the regular Pokemons?

Then if it is so, I might have one in my PC at the moment. A typical Shellos is usually pink, I believe and while pumping level in the area around the fourth gym I met up with a blue one. No need to say, I caught it and thought that this blue one is the evolutionary of the pink one.

Another question would be that then wouldn't Burmy have two different type of Shiny versions? One of them is fluffy pink if I am not wrong and the other fluffy white?

Jim Crill
20th May 2007, 10:30 AM
^ Nope, Shellos naturally has 2 different color palettes, it depends on what side of Shinnoh you're on. If it's shiny, you'll see stars at the very beginning of the battle.

Dark Scizor
20th May 2007, 10:33 AM
Then if it is so, I might have one in my PC at the moment. A typical Shellos is usually pink, I believe and while pumping level in the area around the fourth gym I met up with a blue one. No need to say, I caught it and thought that this blue one is the evolutionary of the pink one.

East and West colour Shellos. You've not found anything special I'm afraid :(

Silent Dragonfly
20th May 2007, 03:30 PM
Another question would be that then wouldn't Burmy have two different type of Shiny versions? One of them is fluffy pink if I am not wrong and the other fluffy white?

Burmy have three forms; Plant Cloak, Sandy Cloak and Trash Cloak. It'll change after every battle depending on the battle's loaction (generally Plant in the grass, Sand on paths and Trash inside of buildings)

Although Burmy are a pure Bug type, the cloak it has will affect the evolution of your female Burmy. At Lv20 a female Burmy evolves in Wormadam. (Males evolve into Mothim) The resulting Wormadam will be Bug/Grass, Bug/Ground or Bug/Steel based on the cloak Burmy had when it evolved. (Plant, Sandy or Trash respectively)

The shiny Burmy and Wormadam's cloaks remain the same as always, however the visible part will be a bluish-grey rather than the standard black.

AdventureSerum
28th May 2007, 11:58 AM
The only shiny I've ever seen (besides that red Gyrados) was on Pokemon Gold (might have been Crystal, though) which was a shiny Growlithe. It got away. Leave it up to me to have the only shiny pokemon I ever meet know roar. :(

By the way can someone give me all the information on the sparkly grass in D/P? I saw some out of the corner of my eye the other day, but when I moved it stopped shining.

Mega Horny
29th May 2007, 04:07 PM
Just recently I caught a shiny Skorupi while searching for a Croagunk with the ability I wanted. Nicknamed it Metasoma. Yeaaaahhhhhh.

T3h Ky0gr3 L0rd
10th June 2007, 10:28 AM
I found a shiny Golduck while training in Sendoff Spring (fighting wild staravia's for speed EVs).

Timid nature, lv 54, 0 exp., knows generic moveset for wild pokemanz....

Maybe I'll trade it for someething......;)

Ghost
10th June 2007, 11:30 AM
Hmm let's list my Shinies:

lvl 60 Shiny Charizard
lvl 5 Shiny Charmander
lvl 30 Shiny Yanma
lvl 70 Blastoise (10th Anniversary)
lvl 100 Garchomp (with Sick Moveset+Adamant)
lvl 5 Eevee
lvl 100 Starmie

Yeah, I collect shinies pretty much.

Mega Horny
10th June 2007, 11:42 AM
What do you mean you collect shinies, Ghost? Half of those are almost certainly hacked.

Ghost
10th June 2007, 11:58 AM
The only one that could of been Hacked is the 10th Aniv Blastoise, and the Starmie was cloned and given to me by a friend.

Number1ChanseyFan
12th June 2007, 08:57 PM
I just found a shiny Staravia a few days ago in the Trophy Garden in Diamond while trying to find the rare Pokemon for that day. (Eevee)

Dark Sage
12th June 2007, 09:00 PM
Uh, just so you know, there's a much easier way to get an Eevee.

Go to Bebe's house in Hearthorne (after getting the National Dex, of course). She gives you one for free.

Shadow Wolf
12th June 2007, 09:08 PM
I got my first legit shiny a few weeks ago.

I used the Poke Radar, and two 35+ streaks of Shinx, I found a shiny Shinx on my 3rd 35+ streak (at 38). The grass sparkled for a second or two(I saw at least four tiny stars on the patch of grass), and then it stopped moving.

Also, four days ago, I built a 61 streak with Skarmory, but it broke with a Numel. After that, I made a 41 streak, and both 42 and 43 were shiny Skarmory. After that, my chain broke because I got too far away.

I'm not sure if the streak increases the chances of seeing a shiny pokemon, but at least, it works for me. ^_^

T3h Ky0gr3 L0rd
14th June 2007, 11:41 PM
Did you catch the shinies...? I hope so. That's quite a feat, IMO. Nice stuff!

Jeff
20th June 2007, 12:25 AM
Yes! I just got my first DP shiny, and it's a Shinx! I was doing a little EV training against Starlys and Shinxes for Speed and Attack, and ran into a shiny Shinx, no pokeradar or anything.

A PokemonMaster
21st June 2007, 08:26 AM
I saw a shiny ditto in Pokemon Leaf Green, yea my luck...a ditto

rinku
21st June 2007, 09:21 PM
Yes! I just got my first DP shiny, and it's a Shinx! I was doing a little EV training against Starlys and Shinxes for Speed and Attack, and ran into a shiny Shinx, no pokeradar or anything.

Well done! I'm jealous - Shinx and its evos have very nice looking shinies.

pokemon4eva
21st June 2007, 09:37 PM
Usually my friends brag about their shinies(Wismur, Wailord)

but today I got a shiny Ponyta nice blue flames, but my Rapidash(now) has grey flames(awesome).

The thing that burns me up is my Shinie Collector Friend, he has...

Lucario, Combee, Carizard, all legends shinies, Staraptor, Munchlax, Raichu, Leafeon, Alakazam, Areodactyl, Caraindos, Turtwig, Apom, Machoke, Keckleon, Garchomp, and of course Garados.

rinku
28th June 2007, 01:53 AM
Ka-ching! Got my first shiny playing on Pearl - a Chansey!

That brings me up to 5 captured myself, one received when Nintendo fixed the clock bug, and 4 trades.

rinku
28th June 2007, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure if the streak increases the chances of seeing a shiny pokemon, but at least, it works for me. ^_^

It wouldn't surprise me, although it may simply be that using the pokéradar itself increases the chances, and thus the longer the streak the greater the chances of seeing one.

However, the fact that you found them toward the END of the streaks does suggest the chances might start ramping up after a certain number.

AdventureSerum
11th July 2007, 07:23 PM
Every so often a shiny comes up on the GTS, though always offered for some rare at level 100. A while back there was a shiny Milotic, and today there is a Dialgia! A shiny Dialgia! That's like winning the lottery!

CuteLassJigglypuff
11th July 2007, 08:05 PM
A while ago, I caught a shiny Wurmple (right now, it's a Dustox) in one of the Honey Trees. I also found a shiny Geodude in Route 215.

A few days ago, I got a shiny Mightyena and a shiny Raichu from the GTS.

GothGeisha
26th October 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm a shiny hunter. I have a shiny Venusaur, Zubat, Mew, Typhlosion, Politoed, Quagshire, Lickilicky, Dialga, and Palkia on Diamond version.

Oh, I forgot about Ditto. It's blue.

Trekkie
26th October 2007, 10:02 AM
The only shiny I've caught in D/P was bronzor, but right now I have shiny Golem that I want to trade and a shiny lv.100 Nidoqueen that there is no way in heck that I'm giving up.

AdventureSerum
27th October 2007, 11:48 AM
Would you trade that Golem for a Beldum?