PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM problem (a different pc, so shh!)

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2007, 02:08 PM
Yes, it's me again. This time, my home pc is acting up. Now;

Whenever I put a dvd into the cd drive, it works just fine, booting up and doing all the normal dvd-ey things. Same goes for pc games, etc.

BUT whenever I put in a normal music cd, it doesn't work at all. The cd drive doesn't read any cds actually being there; when I double-click on the D: drive in My Computer, it just shows a blank screen after loading for a while. This is really starting to annoy me, since I have to now burn all my cds onto the laptop and transfer them with a USB pen.

Can anyone help?? Maybe I just need a new CD-ROM...

Chris
7th May 2007, 02:42 PM
Which music CDs are you putting in there?

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2007, 04:23 PM
I've tried a variety. Muse albums, Radiohead albums, Jay Chou albums, none of em work, all of em are real, non-copied or -burned cds, so it's not that. It's not the age of them either, cos my Jay Chou is brand new, and so are a few of the Muse ones too. >_<

Chris
7th May 2007, 06:24 PM
The reason I ask is because a lot of music CDs made between 2001 and 2007 had Copy Control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control) on them. Some drives aren't able to read them. Check on Wikipedia and see if those albums are affected by Copy Control - if they are, find one that definitely isn't and try that. If the unprotected one works, your drive's too old.

Realistically it's probably easier just to buy a new drive though.

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2007, 06:31 PM
About three out of the load I tried weren't copy protected. The problem is that it's always worked before, but I can't pinpoint a time when it started to not work.

I already have most of my other CDs on there, so I know that it worked with them before.

Also, I think it's about two years old, the pc itself. Maybe it does need a new drive.

Dark-San
7th May 2007, 10:21 PM
Jay Chou! >.<

I think that is copyright protected. My cousin has it since he is a big fan of that R&D singer. Not so sure about muse though.