PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide?

Trent
8th May 2007, 02:42 PM
So, right. I'm trying to figure out which pokemon I want to use for my competitive team, battle tower team, whatever. And it just so happens that I have a horrible, horrible lack of conviction and I can't choose between the pokemon on my list. SO, I thought it'd be a grand idea if I just put them up here to let you kids give your opinions on what I should go with.

And don't give me any crap about how you should 'play with what you like.' I'm aware of that, and this is the list that I like D:< So just help me out.

P Sweepers : Tyrannitar, Honchcrow, Drapion, Garchomp, Staraptor, Gallade, Medicham, Scizor

S Sweepers : Porygon Z, Magnezone, Roserade (Could also function as an Aromatherapist), Gengar, Alakazham, Magmortar

Tank/Annoyer/Spiker/Whatever : Dusknoir, Probopass, Skarmory, Aggron, Tentacruel, Ninetails, Umbreon

Baton Pass/Hybrid-thingies : Togekiss, Leafeon, Absol, Ninjask

So whatever, I'm just looking for opinions, so don't worry about making fun of me or anything--I can take it. Also, I'm also up for suggestions for other types of pokemon that I may have not mentioned :D And, tell me if I'm dumb and I forgot a type or something, cause that seems like something I would do.

Trent
9th May 2007, 08:24 PM
Does this seem alright? I kinda got bored so I looked into what I would actually do. I came up with this :< And I'd like to know if there are better substitutes for things, as well as a weakness that I overlooked. Perhaps a type that I don't have a counter for?

Tyranitar - Adamant (PSweeper)

-Earthquake
-DragonDance
-Taunt
-Crunch

Dusknoir - Bold (Tank)

-Curse
-Mean Look
-Confuse Ray
-Rest

Tentacruel - Modest (SSweeper)

-Sludge Bomb
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Haze

Skarmory - Impish (Spiker/PWall)

-Spikes
-Rest
-Aerial Ace
-Roar

Garchomp - Adamant (PSweeper)

-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Swords Dance/Dragon Dance
-------------or-------------
Gallade - Jolly (PSweeper)

-Night Slash
-Leaf Blade
-Psycho Cut
-Swords Dance
Scizor - Adamant (PSweeper)

-X-Scissor
-Night Slash
-Brick Break
-Agility

Magmortar - Modest/Timid (SSweeper)

-Flame Thrower
-Psychic
-Solar Beam/Thunderbolt
-Sunny Day/Will o' Wisp
Porygon Z - Timid (SSweeper)

-Nasty Plot
-Signal Beam
-Tri Attack
-Psychic/Thunderbolt
Jolteon - Modest (SSweeper)

-Thunderbolt
-Shadowball
-Wish/Substitute
-Yawn

mr_pikachu
10th May 2007, 02:00 AM
I don't consider myself the absolute best rater on the boards, but here are some things to consider, at least.

I'm a little hesitant about using Skarmory as a Spiker/Roarer for two reasons. The first problem is that Skarm is not nearly as fast as some of the other Flying types, so it could take hits from lots of quicker opponents before forcing Spike damage. So you'll want to wait until most of the opponents' speedy battlers are KOed, and you may not always know what they have left... it's somewhat situational. And don't forget that if your Roar brings out a Special Sweeper, you could be in for some serious damage. Skarm can take attacks from Physical Sweepers, but... I dunno. It's just a risky way to use it. Dusknoir's could also be iffy, but I suppose it's a little more reasonable... just be careful of haphazardly Resting against Sweepers.

Another potential issue with your team as a whole is that your first four choices give you a 2x weakness to Ground (T-Tar and Tentacruel). That in itself isn't a problem, but it severely limits your later choices since you want to avoid 3x weaknesses against any given type.

With that in mind, Magmortar and Jolteon both get rocked by Ground moves. That leaves Porygon-Z... while I'm not fond of the first two for competitive battling, I believe the third evolution gains enough stats to be usable, so go for it. As for your Physical Sweeper, you could conceivably go with either Gallade or Scizor. (Garchomp would give your team several 3x weaknesses.) Gallade gives you a rare way to use Psychic moves against Physical Walls, while Scizor's Brick Break could be very useful against certain foes. I think you're free of 3x weaknesses either way, so it's your call.

Despite some concerns, this looks like a fairly solid team complete with four Sweepers, an Annoyer, and a Spiker (or a Tank, if you decide to change Skarmory's moveset). Just make sure you steer clear of 3x weaknesses and test your riskier tactics before trying them in a tournament.

Trent
10th May 2007, 02:22 PM
I could also use a:

Weezing - Possibly a Replacement for Skarm or Duskn, (Sassy)

-Explosion
-Haze
-Will O' Wisp
-Filler?

Cacturne - Following Tyranitar - Replace Tentacruel and give me more liberty with Sweepers? (Jolly)

-Needle Arm/Seed Bomb
-Poison Jab
-Sucker Punch
-Sandstorm/Swords Dance?

I could easily go with any of the other pokemon in my lists, if its the types that we're worried about. I just really need suggestions, this is the first time I've tried making a teamset.