PDA

View Full Version : Somehow makes sense, right?

Storm
10th May 2007, 09:03 AM
Found this overview somewhere else on the net. Somehow makes sense I think. Or is this complete bullocks?

HP - Loves to eat/Often dozes off/Often naps/Scatters things about/Likes to relax

Attack - Proud of its power/Likes to thrash about/A little quick tempered/Likes to fight/Hot tempered

Defense - Sturdy body/Capable of taking hits/Highly persistant/Good endurance/Good perseverance

Special Attack - Highly curious/Mischievous/Thouroughly cunning/Often lost in thought/Very finicky

Special Defense - Strong willed/Somewhat vain/Strongly defiant/Hates to lose/Somewhat stubborn

Speed - Likes to run/Alert to sounds/Impetuous and silly/Somewhat of a clown/Quick to flee

MY THEORY: In the stat you have the highest IV the game will pick out one of the five characters! That really makes sense!

Elec Man EXE
10th May 2007, 12:43 PM
I think they relate to specific values as well. The highest determines the descriptor, but its also impacted by exactly how high that number is.

I've been breeding Carnivine for the past 3 days trying to get one that has great EV's. One parent had 30 Attack, and the other parent had 31 Sp. Defense. The descriptors were "Likes to thrash about" and "Somewhat vain", respectively.

Every single time I got a Carnivine that recieved the 30 Attack IV, it was "Likes to thrash about". Every single time I got the 31 Sp. Def, it was "Somwhat vain". It tested this on probably 25+ pokemon over the course of my breeding, and it was always the case. Eventually I started immedietly releasing every pokemon that didn't have one of those two, and near the end I started releasing every one but "Somewhat vain" because since Sp. Def is higher, a baby with both the Att and Sp. Def IV would be vain.

Storm
10th May 2007, 01:51 PM
yes, the theory is right... For example this sturdy body larvitar:

* HP IV: 10 [7 ~ 13] 13%
* Attack IV: 25 [22 ~ 29] 12%
* Defense IV: 28 [25 ~ 31] 15%
* Sp.Atk IV: 13 [10 ~ 17] 11%
* Sp.Def IV: 16 [13 ~ 19] 14%
* Speed IV: 28 [25 ~ 31] 15%

so when i would leave her at the day care with my larvitar that has high hp, attack, speed, but terrible defense. will their sprout be the best of both worlds, or is it always gambling? going for perfection is frustrating :)

Negrek
10th May 2007, 02:15 PM
so when i would leave her at the day care with my larvitar that has high hp, attack, speed, but terrible defense. will their sprout be the best of both worlds, or is it always gambling? going for perfection is frustrating
It's not totally random; some of the parents' stats are passed, but which ones are passed is random (though there's a higher chance of passing some than others, if I recall rightly).

Also, yes, characteristics are linked to IV's somehow; research on exactly how is still going on, to the best of my knowledge.

Elec Man EXE
10th May 2007, 04:12 PM
There's a percentage chance that each parent will pass along each IV to the baby. But I'd say its not more than 20-30% (rolled per invidiual stat), because you still get plenty of babies that have 1 or even none of their parents IVs.

And yes, perfection IS frustrating.

Storm
10th May 2007, 04:21 PM
Still don't know what to do with that Larvitar I'm training now.. He's really quite good, just his defense IV is really low.. But then I was reasoning about most physical attacks are not too effective against a tyranitar anyway.. But then I was thinking about fighting moves and aqua tail.. And then I thought; well, those moves are also lethal with a decent IV on defense.
I mean, a adamant male, with good IV on hp, speed and attack... with a low IV on special attack (which is good, because it's also the downside of its nature, so aslong I don't use special attacks...)... Can't get much better right?

EDIT: And 'Dragon Dance' on top of that attack and speed...