PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Lateness will not be tolerated!

Jeff
10th May 2007, 12:07 PM
Here it is, yet another poll by me inspired by a real-life situation:

1. Do you have any professors/teachers that usually show up late for class?
2. When was the latest one of your professors/teachers ever showed up?
3. Have you and/or the other students in one of your classes ever invoked the "15-minute rule"? If so, how long did it take?

And for anyone who dosn't know, the 15-minute rule is a rule of thumb in college for when to leave the classroom when the professor hasn't shown up. Basically after 15 minutes after class is supposed to start, it's assumed they'll be a no show, and everyone can leave.

1. Yes, I have one this semester that always shows up 5-10 minutes late.

2. Back in community college, I had a psychology professor that always showed up about 15 minutes late (we never invoked the 15 minute rule since he always showed up that late) and one day he came in 25 minutes late, the worst part was that it was a 50-minute class! Of course like any good psychologist, instead of admitting he had a problem getting his rear out of bed in the morning, he just said he had a "condition" and that was just part of who he is, and that people need to accept that.

3. I had a economics professor that didn't show up once, but then another professor came in to tell us class was canceled. The same thing's also happened in a stats class. Today though in the class I have this semester where the professor is always late, after 20 minutes after class was supposed to start and still no professor, everyone in the class agreed to leave. So I guess that counts as the 15-minute rule even though it was actually 20.

SupremeChampion
10th May 2007, 01:13 PM
3. Have you and/or the other students in one of your classes ever invoked the "15-minute rule"? If so, how long did it take?

1.) yea, my criminology teacher always showed up like 5-10 minutes late each class, but he was actually more or less on time for the last week or so.
2.) haha i'd say right at the 15 minute rule. like we were all just getting ready to leave when he came in the door and apologized for being so late (this was actually my criminology teacher again lol), apparently he was caught in traffic.
3.) haha yea, this semester again, and my freshman year. both times, we waited the full 15 minutes, and when the professor(s) didn't show up, we all left. haha it was nice to have a free period.

~The Italian Stallion

Magmar
17th May 2007, 12:04 PM
My Spanish 110/113 professor at university would always show up 10-20 minutes late for each class.

19 minutes and 47 seconds on final exam day. We have a 20 minute rule at my school; we were so bummed that he showed up just before the time ran out, as we would have been able to be exempt from the final otherwise.

All the time in Survey of Music.

Zcade0
21st May 2007, 09:43 PM

1. Yes, my English teacher is usually a few minutes late.
2. Today. English -_-
3. No, after about ten minutes someone gets the books on the teachers desk and we go through the class without them. We actually get more work done 0_o.

Cheesey
2nd July 2007, 05:28 PM
Nah, it happens sometimes, but not often... It's usually only because other teachers are off and they have to sort out the supply teacher so they know what they're doing and don't break down in tears or something

Effectively the latest has been when they didn't show up at all. I remember that happened in second-year German and we threw dictionaries at each other - a dangerous pastime incidentally :|

I'm sure one of us would've done, but... that isn't allowed... we wouldn't have had anywhere to go anyway, we just stayed in that room until it was time for the next period...

Roy Karrde
2nd July 2007, 06:36 PM

Both of my teachers show up extremely late for class.

4:50 on a class that ended at 4:55, that was on the day of the final where we were supposed to watch the final projects.

Usually around 15 minutes since the class hates the guys. But now we have to check in at the office so they can 'Search' for him before we can leave.

mr_pikachu
2nd July 2007, 07:25 PM

Yeah, I have a few that tend to show up one or two minutes late. None of them make a habit of being extremely late, though.

I've had plenty be complete no-shows. But the latest that anyone was when they actually showed up... I've had a few hit 15 minutes. And since they had tenure, we felt obliged to wait for 20. Darn these standards!

Yeah, too often. Some students have left before 5 minutes (they usually got in trouble later), while other times we all left 15 minutes after the start. And as I've said before, if they have tenure, it's 20 minutes. Don't ask me how, but somebody always knows.

.hacker
2nd July 2007, 07:31 PM

1. Actually, all of my professors would typically arrive before class starts. The professors would only be late if something happened.

2. Latest a professor showed up was 25 minutes late for a 50 min. class (which we were suppose to take an exam). We ended up taking the exam anyway with only 25 minutes left... >_>

3. That's considered a myth at my former university. We would wait for the professor. However, depending on the professor, we would get notices early in the day if a class got cancelled. We got two weeks worth of class cancelled for one course in a semester!