PDA

View Full Version : Okay, wait, back up here...

Kitsune
12th December 2002, 12:02 AM
I've seen a lot of information being thrown around like it's common knowledge, when apparently I completely missed the clue bus on its first run through. Somebody help bring me up to speed on this, please, and correct any misconceptions:

Pokey DVs are now 0-31 instead of 0-15, and aren't doubled.

There is now some kind of personality variable distinct from the old happiness variable, and personality affects stats in a manner that isn't entirely known yet.

Instead of statistic experience, there's a new variable that ranges from 0-510, with each vitamin dedicating ten points towards one stat, with each stat able to receive a maximum of 255, allowing a lower level of overall stats than was achievable in previous games.

I don't know jack about those other contest stats, beauty and what have you. Do they affect battle stats or personality?

I'm also out in the cold about caring for pokeys. If stat experience is gone, how does one raise a pokey's stats, other than just stuffing lots of vitamins into them? You used to be able to just blow up all who opposed you and trust that being in fights was taking care of their stats, is there a method requiring more finesse now?

On a tangent completely unrelated to the core mechanics of the game, has anyone found things like the old radio stations and timed events like contests and such? They were a little cheesy, but I was fond of them all the same; it made the world feel much more alive.

rinku
12th December 2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Kitsune
Pokey DVs are now 0-31 instead of 0-15, and aren't doubled.

Correct. No great effect on the game, but it gives twice as many possible DVs, meaning it will be tricky nailling down the exact value until level 100.

There is now some kind of personality variable distinct from the old happiness variable, and personality affects stats in a manner that isn't entirely known yet..

Correct. The personality type is however clearly stated on the pokémon's information - it's not a secret, so once we suss out the rules for it it becomes a constant, not a variable. It appears to be something like "one stat at +10%, one stat at -10%". There are 25 types, and HP does not seem to be affected, so my guess is that the grid includes increasing and decreasing the same stat, giving 5 types that are normal.

Instead of statistic experience, there's a new variable that ranges from 0-510, with each vitamin dedicating ten points towards one stat, with each stat able to receive a maximum of 255, allowing a lower level of overall stats than was achievable in previous games.

This is undecided and under research. While the effect of vitamins is probably as you describe, it isn't certain that effort values have gone altogether.

I don't know jack about those other contest stats, beauty and what have you. Do they affect battle stats or personality?.

No ideas that I've yet seen about the contests, apart from the common knowledge that you raise the values using Plocks. Haven't yet got to the contests in my game, but it may be that competing also has an effect. There does seem to be a colour-correspondence between the 5 contest stats and the 5 non-HP stats - Attack and Strength are both yellow, and Intelligence and Defence are both green, for example. Quite possibly the DVs play a part in the contests, or the performance is linked to the corrsponding battle stat. I'm looking forward to resaerching this!

Azura Stardust
12th December 2002, 01:17 AM
So if DVs are now from 0 to 31, what about Hidden Power? Are there 31 types or something? O_o; I remember they were based on DVs in GSC... has that changed in RS? (And Hidden power is still a TM, so... yes, it has to work on something.)

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th December 2002, 08:09 AM
I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics but Hidden Power covers the same types as in GSC, it is just based on different values than in the past.

I wonder how long it will be before most of the facts are known about this game. I'm still uncertain what My Pace (I've read it makes the opposing Pokemon go down to your Pokemon's Speed, but I've also read it simply makes it incapable of suffering some Status ailment I can't remember), Build Up (does it increase Atk and Spl. Def or Atk and Def? I've heard both). and Seizure do (hasn't ANYBODY tested this move yet?). Then there are all these questions about the two vs. two battles...

whaha
12th December 2002, 08:43 AM
My guess is that we maybe not even know everything about the game - even if we are a year later!

There has so much changed.
Just training isn't enough.
The real qualties of a Pokémon Trainer are now coming above.

This is the real deal.

TeamRocketElite
12th December 2002, 05:31 PM

Not exactly a new stat, but a different way of being recorded. When you battle an opponent you get Effort Value depending on the opponents highest Base Stat. for example Electrode would give you Speed Effort Value. Effort Value can be raised to a maximum of 255 for each stats and 510 total. A Vitamins will give 10 Effort Value to the one stat. So a Pokémon will never take more then 51 vitamins total.

So if DVs are now from 0 to 31, what about Hidden Power? Are there 31 types or something? O_o; I remember they were based on DVs in GSC... has that changed in RS? (And Hidden power is still a TM, so... yes, it has to work on something.)

Hidden Power is no longer based on IVs. They are now based on the Gender Value. A new stat that is used to determine gender, hidden power and many other things.