PDA

View Full Version : DS or PSP?

Perfect Chaos
19th May 2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I have a bad feeling asking this question, but I really need some answers.

I've wanted a PSP for a while now, since I'm a big PlayStation junkie (have PS1 and PS2 and thinking of getting PS3 when there's a BIG price drop).

However, with the release of Pokemon D/P, a DS is looking pretty good right now. I could buy DS and either D/P (most likely get Diamond) and I think still pay less than what I would for a PSP.

However, I know that I would like the games better on PSP than I would on DS (I think I only plan on playing D/P for DS).

So yeah, any advice on picking would really be appreciated. And please don't post any stupid stuff like "DS R0XX0RS!!! PSP SUCKS DONKEY BALLS" or shit like that. You're wasting my time along with yours.

classy_cat18
19th May 2007, 01:28 AM
Depends on your preference. I know that PSP is better in terms of graphics and RPGs. The biggest game on there that I've heard about is Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (I know, not an RPG). And I have a friend that uses his PSP to play emulator games, like DDR and Capcom vs. SNK.

But DS has had the better games in my humble opinion. And I emphasize the word "humble". Although not as graphically pretty, they're fun to play. There's Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, New Super Mario Bros....

I can go on with the good games but you should research for yourself.

Roy Karrde
19th May 2007, 01:29 AM
Personally you will have more fun with DS at the moment, but that will slowly wear off unless you are a hard core Pokemon player that will play it for years and years. I know most will say here to go on for the DS, but in reality the PSP offers more options beyond games with Internet, Music, and Videos that are very useful between or during classes. Not to mention the PSP allows you to play Playstation 1 games, both legally and not so legally. If you are going for the DS that is fine, but do it for more than one game becuase Pokemon will eventually get stale just like Ruby/Sapphire/Gold/Silver/Red/Blue did after a year or so, and unless there are plenty of other fun games, you will just have a DS gathering dust.

Zcade0
21st May 2007, 10:02 PM
Adam Sessler summarized it the best on X-Play. I'm summerizing what he said even farther.

GBA- RPG
DS- Puzzler
PSP- Sports

simple as that. DS has been slowly absorbing the GBA's RPGs, but I still have more fun with the older GBA RPGs than the DS's ones. The PSP, on the other hand, does have some good games if all your looking for is a hack-and-slash with little story line (Gauntlet Legends, for instance), but it really does excel in sports games. puzzlers is self-explanatory for the DS, eh?

Razola
21st May 2007, 11:20 PM
Saying DS is just for Puzzlers is so...not right.

Alucard
22nd May 2007, 02:55 AM
Saying the PSP has some good games is so...not right.

Zcade0
22nd May 2007, 06:47 PM
I never said the DS was just for puzzlers, I'm saying that's what it's strong point is. Metos, the Brain Age games, etc. It's known for it's puzzlers... and Nintendogs. Nintendogs sucks.

Roy Karrde
22nd May 2007, 07:25 PM
Saying the PSP has some good games is so...not right.

Grand Theft Auto, Ridge Racer, WipeOut Pure, LocoRoco, Socom, Tales of Eternia, Metal Gear Solid, Rachet and Clank, God of War, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Yu Gi Oh GX Tag Force.... Should I go on?

Zcade0
22nd May 2007, 07:37 PM
-raises eyebrow- there's a version of GoW for PSP?

The Untold Legends are great to. Both the first and the second. I like the second better, you don't find equipment from other classes all the time. (not Gauntlet Legends >< that's an old N64 game >< sorry)

Little_Pikachu
22nd May 2007, 07:37 PM
I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world (except Japan where they get all the awsome anime games), but in the UK the PSP game selection... Sucks. All you seem to be able to find here are third rate RPG's and sports games. If you like soccer and car racing, PSP is your first choice, if you like games with a bit more story and entertainment to them, I'd go DS. If you're still playing Pokemon, I'm sure there are a lot of other DS games you'd like. And no one even dare bore me with "AAAH BUT THE GRAPHICS!!!!" so most of the DS games are a bit cartoony in their style, that's the Nintendo way, they don't need ultra detailed backgrounds and 6billion colour rippling water effects. When they need to be serious, they can crack open a can of decent graphics as well as the added bonus for a unique touch screen and a battery life 8 years longer than that of the PSP. No one's denying the PSP has better graphics, but if you're seriously going to take graphics over gameplay, then it's your loss.

Seriously though, PSP is ok, I'm just speaking from the point of view of someone who lives in the land that Sony forgot, however DS seems to be bringing out things that interest me every few weeks.

Dark-San
22nd May 2007, 09:16 PM
... in reality the PSP offers more options beyond games with Internet, Music, and Videos that are very useful between or during classes ...

This portion is considered to be possible for Nintendo DS. You can installed a program via into the Micro-SD card and insert it into the DS rom slot. In this way, the program allows you to play games, listen to music and watched video. The only disadvantage of it would be that you would not be able to surf the net.

Jeff
22nd May 2007, 09:35 PM
I've been hearing forever that there's supposed to be an Opera browser coming out for DS, but unfortunately haven't seen it yet. If it ever does come out (outside of Japan that is) that will take care of the surfing.

Zcade0
22nd May 2007, 09:50 PM
If they DO make the browser (which I think they will, I read a release of some sort saying the DS had the software for it already in the machine), I'll be very happy. Trying to type on the Wii is very tiring. Portable internet, as well.

Roy Karrde
22nd May 2007, 10:37 PM
The DS' Opera Browser has already been released in all countries from what I heard, it just sucks pretty much, but it probably isnt any worse than the PSP's Browser which has a low Memory cache, but for just checking on some websites like a quick check on TPM it works. Also Dark, while the Play-yan? Works for the DS, it does cost alot more, making the PSP actually cheaper, and the PSP provides a better resolution for the video, along with a much more beautiful screen.

Alucard
23rd May 2007, 01:46 AM
I wish people would stop riding the nuts of GTA. It was a bad game when it was first release and the series has gone down hill from there on.

The PSP has nothing but shitty ports, piss poor 3rd party bullshit and revamps of old arcade games.

Dark-San
23rd May 2007, 06:16 AM
Also Dark, while the Play-yan? Works for the DS, it does cost alot more, making the PSP actually cheaper, and the PSP provides a better resolution for the video, along with a much more beautiful screen.

I knew that. Just pointing out that stuffs like listening to music and playing videos are possible for Nintendo DS.

It just does not matter whether if you prefer which hardware's stats. Ultimately the deciding factor would be the choice of games which you can played using either consoles.

Perfect Chaos, if you are going for the DS that is fine, but do it for more than one game becuase Pokemon will eventually get stale just like Ruby/Sapphire/Gold/Silver/Red/Blue did after a year or so, and unless there are plenty of other fun games, you will just have a DS gathering dust.

If you are going for Nintendo DS then perhaps you should probably do what Roy had suggested. No harm in forming a group and start battling with each other. I had my Pearl Pokedex completed at least up to Ruby/Sapphire generation all thanks to my regular DS gathering.

Roy Karrde
23rd May 2007, 09:24 AM
-raises eyebrow- there's a version of GoW for PSP?

Yeah, and it looks beautiful, really it rivals the PS2 version.

The PSP has nothing but shitty ports, piss poor 3rd party bullshit and revamps of old arcade games.

You forgot to add in "In my opinion" really if you think that all the games on the PSP are shitty ports, piss poor 3rd party bullshit, and revamps of old arcade games, then I hate to see what you think of the DS line up, becuase it's line up rivals the PSP or just a little below it.

classy_cat18
23rd May 2007, 10:45 AM
You forgot to add in "In my opinion" really if you think that all the games on the PSP are shitty ports, piss poor 3rd party bullshit, and revamps of old arcade games, then I hate to see what you think of the DS line up, becuase it's line up rivals the PSP or just a little below it.

...Excuse me? All that jazz you said about the PSP was pretty much "in your opinion" as well. In fact, everyone has been stating their opinion. And please...no one trust Adam Sessler's opinion. The guy's a dumbass.

If we went by reviews from different magazines and websites, as well as sales figures, they would pretty much all say that the DS is kicking the PSP's ass. If no one likes puzzlers and Nintendogs, then New Super Mario Bros. Or Phoenix Wright. Or the remakes of previous Final Fantasy games. Or the upcoming release of the new Final Fantasy Tactics.

Roy Karrde
23rd May 2007, 11:10 AM
If we went by reviews from different magazines and websites, as well as sales figures, they would pretty much all say that the DS is kicking the PSP's ass. If no one likes puzzlers and Nintendogs, then New Super Mario Bros. Or Phoenix Wright. Or the remakes of previous Final Fantasy games. Or the upcoming release of the new Final Fantasy Tactics.

You are right on Sales Figures, wrong on Reviews. While PSP and DS are about equal when it comes to AAA Games, or games reviewed with 90% or more, the PSP has double the amount of AA Games or Games with 80%. With 56 PSP Games ranking in the 80s, and 25 DS Games. in Gamespot's opinion. 52 PSP Games ranking in the 80s as opposed to a closer 45 in IGN's opinion. Then again going by IGN, the PSP has more AAA Games with a 12 to 15 split, and yes I am very bored waiting for class. Also not to mention that Final Fantasy Tactics is also being released on the PSP, as well as a new Final Fantasy Fighter.

Alucard
23rd May 2007, 12:25 PM
Gamespot & IGN's rating systems are run by 4 year old retarded children. Proof of that is found in the Final Fantasy 3 & Castlevania POR reviews. The ratings given by gamespot are laughable.

classy_cat18
23rd May 2007, 12:35 PM
Gamespot & IGN's rating systems are run by 4 year old retarded children. Proof of that is found in the Final Fantasy 3 & Castlevania POR reviews. The ratings given by gamespot are laughable.

I believe Roy Karrde said about the same thing about Wii and PS3 concerning their launch games.

Roy Karrde
23rd May 2007, 12:36 PM
Well atleast you gave some sort of proof to your pathetic statement of name calling. The problem is that of the two games listed, one of them was pretty poor, Final Fantasy 3 not only had no story to it, but the gameplay was more than annoying sometimes. Either way you are using two game reviews to refute two entire websites with multiple reviewers. It's kind of sad...

I believe Roy Karrde said about the same thing about Wii and PS3 concerning their launch games.

I did? I don't believe so, either way it doesn't matter as the original statement was that the DS is killing the PSP when it comes to Reviews in Magazines and Websites. Which is entirely false unless you only read Nintendo Power or Official Playstation Magazine.

Alucard
23rd May 2007, 02:14 PM
You'd rather have me search the game listings and pick apart the websites game by game as evidence of there stupidity?

Roy Karrde
23rd May 2007, 04:59 PM
I would rather you pick something more than two mediocre games to represent two websites, who have multiple reviewers and a large staff. Then again I think most of us here can put aside all fanboyism and say that the DS and the PSP has a damn good line up. To say though that one system is overwhelmingly beating the other in reviews is wrong, which brought about this who discussion.

Zcade0
23rd May 2007, 05:34 PM
They both have to be either good or bad, seeing as they share a large amount of third-party support. Square goes for both of the companies, as does EA, etc. To say one is better than the other wholly relies on the first party games. Nintendo is known for it's first party games, though that's not saying that Sony doesn't have good ones as well. To decide completely, you might want to keep your eyes open for the exclusives to each then base your decision on that.

I'd go for the DS, but, then again, I'm biased.

Weasel Overlord
22nd June 2007, 07:58 PM
Hey, FFIII is an awesome game! Have you looked at the graphics?! And I thought the graphics for FFIV were amazing and those were just on the GBA. If you go for a DS, you can ALSO play FFIV, which is bloody amazing. And FFs I and II, if you are so inclined. II is less amazing than I, in my opinion, in that it's bloody hard.

And I've got to say, the PSP has poo games NOW. Yes, now. And now that I've bought a DS Lite, I find out that Crisis Core is coming out for the PSP as well as a remake of FFIV. *grinds teeth* I want Crisis Core... curse you, SquareEnix. Although, saying that, DS is also getting FFXII: Revenant Wings.

So my basic point is this: if you like Final Fantasy, buy a DS. And plus, they look nicer. PSPs look crap, in my humble opinion. And especially the pink ones... *spits* *hides own pink DS*