PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. Brawl (spoilers inside!)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jeff
22nd May 2007, 08:03 AM
Smash Bros. Dojo (http://www.smashbros.com/index.html) has been redone, and now has info on how to play, the music, and the stages in SSBB, but theres only one stage listed right now. And of course, the info we really want to see is inaccessible. Characters, game modes, and items are all locked, and there's another locked section called "notices". It does have some screenshots in how to play. And some interesting info on battlefield, that it changes between day and night. Not sure if it just cycles or if it's real time, but it sounds like it's real time. And something I noticed, the icon for how to play looks alot like a Wii remote, perhaps the game won't be controlled exclusively with GameCube controllers after all.

Elec Man EXE
22nd May 2007, 10:35 AM
The music sample is very cool.

The new damage icons... not so much. The character picture makes them too obstructing. Its so hard to keep track of which damage icon represents you just by the team insignia and position that we need to have the character's picture now too?

Jeff
23rd May 2007, 08:34 PM
The first update came today. The characters section is now open with profiles of Mario and Link. Nothing new revealed, the only thing of interest worth mentioning is that the Link in this game is based off of the Twilight Princess Link, which we already knew. This does show what kind of daily updates we'll be seeing to the site. At this rate though it might be a while until we get any new info.

Edit: I stand corrected, new item revealed today: the gooey bomb.

Alucard
26th May 2007, 07:57 AM
Tehe Gooey bomb sounds awesomely fun, especially in a 4 player game.

Drago
28th May 2007, 11:01 PM
The music sample is very cool.

The new damage icons... not so much. The character picture makes them too obstructing. Its so hard to keep track of which damage icon represents you just by the team insignia and position that we need to have the character's picture now too?

Yeah, Melee's percentages were obstructive enough (particularly in the Temple and levels of that nature), but the portraits could be interesting. On another forum the possibility was noted that the portrait would be filled with your own icon (ala Mario Kart DS) or, more interestingly, a portrait of your Mii. It'd be cool to have all your stats saved to your Mii (ala Mario Strikers Charged), particularly if the Mii portrait is a moving one, which reacts to getting hit, getting a KO, getting killed, etc.

Alucard
3rd June 2007, 09:04 AM
The Smash Ball sounds and looks totally awesome. I can't wait untill I can get my hands on that. The Cracker Launcher sounds sweet too and Delfino Plaza is looking rad.

Jeff
5th June 2007, 09:51 AM
Looks like the pokeball is coming back, surprise surprise. Seeing Groudon being listed for the first time as a pokemon that can come out suddenly reminds me that there hasn't been a Smash Bros. game since the GSC days. Wow, it's been a while.

Drago
6th June 2007, 07:33 AM
Isle Delfino looks pretty cool, leads me to note that there are a fair few Mute City-esque docking stages (Delfino, Halberd, possibly the Great Fox level featured in Fox's premier) so far.
...And today's update makes me sad. That was cheap, I hope they minimise the amount of 'How to Play' updates.
EDIT: Not much point in analysing it since the game's incomplete and this probably won't apply to the final product, but damn that looks like a massive third jump Mario has there. Assuming it was activated from where the effect is, he catches a lot of air to be able to latch onto the ledge, more than I seem to recall him ever managing previously. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Jeff
6th June 2007, 10:14 AM
I remember in the How to Play video in Melee they showed Mario jumping back up from really far like that, and of course I was never able to do it. It's almost as if they exaggerate Mario's jump a little.

Elec Man EXE
6th June 2007, 10:25 AM
Its also possible they improved it some. For being the "best jumper ever" Mario's recovery was actually very lackluster in Melee, one of the worst without combining the cape and tornado as well.

Drago
8th June 2007, 04:35 AM
Wow. Looks like you were on the ball Jeff, after two really basic updates featuring Pikachu and Kirby, Sakurai brings out the big guns and reveals that the Wiimote is indeed compatible as a controller, in two different ways no less. This may not seem like much to some (I for one was going to use the Gamecube controller regardless), but it's definitely answering the prayers of some others.
I theorise that, in order to implement dashing with just the Wiimote, Sakurai will borrow from Kirby's control scheme, and have the player tap the D-pad twice to start sprinting. None too hard to figure out, really.

Jeff
8th June 2007, 07:45 AM
I was pretty amazed that the Wii remote by itself could control the game, even though that's what the icon I pointed out implied. When I saw that I figured that the motion sensing controls could factor into dashing and smashing, like giving a little thrust along with a control pad press. But I like the double tap idea better, it opens up the possibility for a Smash Bros. DS.

Drago
8th June 2007, 05:59 PM
I actually feel incredibly stupid now, you're almost definitely right; they're far more likely to use a tilt action in order to implement running, if it was just a double tap Sakurai would've just said it, rather than shroud it in mystery like he did. I like double tapping better too, but now that I think about it, it's likely not gonna happen.

Blademaster
9th June 2007, 09:06 AM
TWO different Wiimote control setups?

One of them better incorporate the Nunchuk; that's all I'm saying. :sweat:

T3h Ky0gr3 L0rd
18th June 2007, 10:49 PM
I'm a semi-pro ssbm player ( search youtube for: ssbm life yakuza ) those are old vids, but i'll put new ones up -_-

IMO, the GC controller better be more dominate in Brawl, otherwise, melee will be my personal game of choice. i like the wiimote, but have you ever looked at pros play ssbm? the button setup is very different--actually, the wiimote has LESS buttons than the GC, so if it is the main controller for brawl.... IDK.

I trust Nintendo. they are game g0dz. i will just wait for it to come out and see how it goes.
----edit----

i jut saw the site.

wierd.

PNT510
19th June 2007, 04:00 PM
I'll probably end up using the classic controller to play. I don't really like playing games where I have to turn the wii-mote on its side for two long it just feels weird. I also have always hated the gamecube controller. It never fit right in my hands.

Andrew
24th June 2007, 06:39 PM
I know I'll stick with the Gamecube controller. So far, Pikachu seems kind of Nerfed a bit. Link's Final Slash seems... deadly. As done Mario's. BUT Pikachu's seems kind of... lame.

I am hoping we get a Fire Emblem Character or two. I loved Marth.

Still, out of the newcomers, they're all decent so far. Wario seems ulimately, bizzare.

Jeff
25th June 2007, 10:47 AM
Wow, Zelda was revealed today. There were some people that thought we wouldn't get any more characters confirmed this way, looks like they were wrong. I do think though that any "newcomers" will be only be reveled through videos though. So this brings the list up to: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Meta Knight, Pit, Wario, Snake, Fox, Yoshi (revealed through his ending theme and the Yoshi's Island stage), and Zelda. I wonder if Zelda will still transform into Sheik.

Phoenixsong
25th June 2007, 11:16 AM
...Something has occurred to me.

Now, I don't really know when the Japanese releases of Smash 1 and 2 happened in comparison to the American ones. But doesn't it strike you as a bit odd that they're already hyping it so much in English (and other languages/regions) before the Japanese release is even out? Normally, Nintendo denies the existence of a game to its American consumers until slightly before or slightly after the Japanese release. To my knowledge, they only started revealing characters for Melee in the weeks leading up to its American release. So what are they doing now? Is it just that they're that excited about the whole project that they're not bothering to hide it from anyone, and we'll get it the requisite four-plus months after Japan? Or does that mean we can count on a fairly early release here in America, and possibly in other places? After all, at the very least I know that my American SSBM can be played in both English and Japanese, so in effect all they have to do is add that capability, switch the defaults and the region formats and they're done. Shouldn't take that long, should it?

I dunno, just a theory that can probably be shot down pretty easily, but it's a nice thought.

Starry Might
25th June 2007, 02:34 PM
I've know about this site and have looked at it occasionally. :)

I am hoping we get a Fire Emblem Character or two. I loved Marth.
+1 :keke:

Wow, Zelda was revealed today. There were some people that thought we wouldn't get any more characters confirmed this way, looks like they were wrong.
Really?! They revealed somebody new (well, not NEW-new, but you know what I mean ;))

*RUNS TO THE SITE*

Wow, she looks really awesome! :D

Since when was she a brunette, though? :confused: "Twilight Princess"? :)

Alucard
25th June 2007, 03:49 PM
Ganon would be nice.

EDIT: With a fucking sword I might add.

Drago
25th June 2007, 08:40 PM
Lots of people figure that since Link (and now Zelda) are in TP form, Ganon's likely to do the same, and, seeing how they want clones out, the easiest way to do that is with his TP sword in hand.
I'm not so fond on Brawl's Ganon wielding a sword (there's a fair few sword people around), I prefer the idea of the sword being limited to one of his B moves, or to make things a little different, have him use the twin swords he had in Wind Waker...

I find it interesting that they would profile Zelda without even the briefest mention of Sheik. Could suggest that Sheik's out, or perhaps her own character? I would guess that, if Sheik and Zelda are still connected, the next update is going to be Sheik's profile.

Jeff
25th June 2007, 10:08 PM
Yes, but keep in mind that Samus' profile was posted without any mention of Zero Suit Samus, despite it already being confirmed that they are connected. I'm guessing that we'll get profiles for ZS Samus and Sheik later on, hopefully with some info on how they are connected to their counterparts.

Drago
25th June 2007, 11:04 PM
They haven't done ZS Samus' profile yet?? *digs through site* Wow, you're right again, Jeff. You're good at this. :P

Elec Man EXE
26th June 2007, 10:45 AM
Its entirely possible Shiek will be removed. From what we have seen of ZSS, she seems to be very similar to Shiek in Melee... especially the attacking scene we see in the second trailer. And since Shiek didn't appear in Twilight Princess... well, take of that what you will I guess.

Its possible she stays as well, though. Even though Zelda has her TP look. Way I see it, just because Zelda didn't transform into Shiek in TP doens't mean she doesn't have the ability. Can't deny the similarities between ZSS and Sheik though.

Its great they showed us a new character in Zelda. Not only does she look beautiful, but it could possibly pave the way for the rest of the unseen return characters. On another forum, someone brought up the possibility that they'll give a number of the returning characters on the site, leading up to E3, to get us "used to" the old characters that they may show in a new trailer, and get the full effect from any entirely new characters they might show. So instead of being like "WOMG updated return characters" it'll be like "Oh, they're showing us the old characters again... then BAM, new characters". I like that theory :)

*goes to listen to Zelda Medley on the Dojo site for the 20th time...*

Alucard
26th June 2007, 11:51 AM
Ganon should be able to wield a sword, fire purple projectile force thingers and also be able to punch & kick.

Phoenixsong
26th June 2007, 11:59 AM
Just as long as he's not a bad CF clone, I'm happy. I always preferred Bowser in terms of the villain characters, but with a new moveset I might get to like Ganon more.

Andrew
2nd July 2007, 07:51 AM
Wow, these new assist tropheys seem pretty rad. More like "Pokeballs" but with the possibilities from any game.

Come on Dixie Kong!

Drago
3rd July 2007, 02:44 AM
What a great way to start this week's updates!! The assist trophies seem like a pretty cool idea (a lot better than the random Goomba and Re-dead appearances in Melee), though it disappointed me a little when I saw Samurai Goroh come up, only to note he was under the items classification. I've never had the chance to play an F-Zero game (shame!) but it would've been pretty cool to take the reigns of Goroh.

And today's update was, at least for me, even better... Bowser!! I haven't quite gotten the feel for his 'different flavour' yet, he looks like more of the same so far, but it's still a pretty sweet return! Here's to more weight and less lag!!

Phoenixsong
4th July 2007, 02:23 AM
NGZOMFG Bowser! Fox is back (as we all knew), Pikachu is back (ditto) and now Bowser... one by one, my simple little dreams are coming true! Yes!

And his Final Smash is a transformation into Giga Bowser... you've got no idea how bad I've wanted some excuse to actually play as good ol' GB. YESYESYESYESYES.

Alucard
4th July 2007, 05:15 AM
I must say the graphics are looking rather spiffy.

Andrew
4th July 2007, 06:47 AM
Giga Bowser, wow. Hoorah. I am wanting to see if Marth makes it back in. COUNTERCOUNTERCOUNTER!11

Still, I wonder what will happen with priority with like, Final Smash vs Final Smash. Volt Tackle Vs Giga Bowser.

Pikachu so far seems kind of lame in this upgrade. Which is sad. I've always loved the little sparker.. to fight with.

I am hoping we don't get Roy/Ice Climbers/Mr Game and Watch back in such LAME ways.

Plus, I am hoping Luigi gets better.

Finally, that different skins are included, without being made SEPERATE characters. Ie Paper Mario/Dr. Mario/Mario. Link/Young Link/Wind Waker Link.
Each with slightly different attributes, but the same basic moves. Oh. And I want the awesome Black Yoshi back.

Jeff
5th July 2007, 08:29 AM
So we finally know how to do sideways wiimote smash attacks. And much to everyone's surprise, they don't involve motion control. If this works out though, I'd like to see it in a Smash Bros. DS. Eh, I can dream.

Andrew
12th July 2007, 03:37 AM
Our main Monkey is back. And UGLY. It's a shame. Come on Diddy/Dixie Kong! I'd love to see them.

Drago
13th July 2007, 06:27 AM
I really like the aesthetic feel of the new Animal Crossing level (Smashville, hehe...) and the presence of an icon for it could suggest a playable AC character. Not Totakeke or Nook if they're chilling in the background... who's left? Resetti? LOLZOR

The only problem is that the architecture of a lot of the stages feel very much the same; platform over the main 'island', there hasn't been a whole lot of variation (even Delfino had the same kinda thing, albeit with 'docking' segments), I hope they at least throw in a couple non-tournament compatible wacky arenas like the Temple and such. Meh. Splitting hairs.

I wonder who's the next character they're going to reveal?

Alucard
13th July 2007, 10:21 AM
Fuck E3.

Jeff
13th July 2007, 11:44 AM
Some of the arenas really do lack originality in the layout department, it seems they are focusing too much on the aesthetics and not enough on making them enjoyable. The original smash bros was great for this, Hyrule Castle's tornado and the random pokemon popping out of the Silph building added a little extra excitement to the levels. Then again, this game does seem to have some of that with the Bridge of Eldin and it's constant habit of being destroyed so hopefully we'll see more.

As for the next character, Yoshi has practically already been revealed, they just need to post his profile, and then there's the characters that have been revealed, Snake and Meta Knight. I've been expecting them to be posted for a long time and ended up getting surprised with Zelda and DK, so you never know who's going to get posted next.

Phoenixsong
13th July 2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, Yoshi will probably be next anyway, as he finishes off the original eight. Then we'll probably get another returning Melee char or two before Meta Knight, and some more before Snake. Depending on what went on at E3, we might start getting glimpses of more newcomers, too.

Jeff
18th July 2007, 08:35 AM
Mystery solved! Samus turns into Zero Suit Samus after using her final smash, the Zero Laser. That just leaves the question of if Samus gets her suit back after falling of the edge, I guess it depends on how rare smash balls are, since if they are too common the original Samus wouldn't get too much play time if she didn't get her suit back. Also, yesterday's revelation of Deoxys' attack form has gotten me thinking if the other forms will appear, they probably will.

Phoenixsong
18th July 2007, 03:41 PM
I assume you'll be able to set the rarity of Smash Balls as you would any other item, although they might still appear less frequently than other things.

If they are really rare, though--even if they're not--what if you like Zero Suit better than normal Samus? It's not like Sheik and Zelda where you can just switch whenever; you're forced to wait for the Smash Ball to use the character you're more comfortable with. Not that big a deal, depending on your playing style, but still kinda sucks.

AdventureSerum
18th July 2007, 09:11 PM
The Twilight Princess-style Zelda characters are nice, and I'm glad they lightened Link's hair shade from what it was in TP. Does anyone know if Zelda will still transform into Sheik? Because, you know, if she doesn't then I'll have to find a new favorite character.

Jeff
19th July 2007, 09:12 AM
From what I've been seeing so far, I seriously doubt any of the old characters will be changing any of their attacks, and it makes sense considering none of the old attacks were dropped in melee. I think now that once Zelda's special attacks are posted, including her Sheik transformation, we'll get Sheik's profile the next day, just like we got Zero Suit Samus's today.

AdventureSerum
19th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Ah, good times! Of course, with all these new characters, I might just find somebody new anyway! Of course, not that it matters, seeing as I probably won't have a Wii for a long time yet. Heck, I'm only just getting Melee this upcoming week. :(

Starry Might
19th July 2007, 02:52 PM
If they are really rare, though--even if they're not--what if you like Zero Suit better than normal Samus? It's not like Sheik and Zelda where you can just switch whenever; you're forced to wait for the Smash Ball to use the character you're more comfortable with. Not that big a deal, depending on your playing style, but still kinda sucks.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that after reading Jeff's post...I'd rather be Zero Suit Samus than the regular one (since I think she looks way cooler without that robotic armor on) :notfunny:

HOWEVER, I remember that in "SSBM", you could do a trick where you if picked Zelda and held down a button while the match is loading, she would turn into Sheik the moment the match begins (I think that's how it worked). I hope they put a code like that in "Brawl" that allows you to play as Zero Suit Samus from the beginning of the fight, too. :)

Phoenixsong
20th July 2007, 08:58 PM
liek omg look at today's it's weird

Seriously, though... someone else I know said it might be, like, the beginnings of some sort of storyline or story mode, which would pwn.

Of course, that whole "fighting-trophies-that-know-nothing-but-fighting" deal does the Mexican Hat Dance all over my fanfic plans. Bye-bye, Disney songs. Oh, well, maybe I can just pretend that part doesn't exist.

Drago
21st July 2007, 03:47 AM
Smash Bros with a plot... bizarre. I wonder who this new character thingy is, looks kinda like something from Animal Crossing I reckon.
And that's the Halberd, right? Are we to assume that Meta Knight is in cahoots with this character? Perhaps he, Bowser and other bad guys will have some kind of wicked scheme in some kind of story mode.

I would love for Smash Bros to have cut-segments before certain battles in single-player mode. Even if it's simple as the stuff in SCII, it'll make me happy.

Drago
23rd July 2007, 04:38 AM
Today = Icicle Mountain part 2. I waited all weekend for this? :(

Andrew
23rd July 2007, 06:13 AM
Ew, Icicle Mountain is back?

That means the shitty Ice Climbers are too?

Seriously, did anyone EVER willinging and competitively use them. I used them when I wanted my SSBM Retarded friends not to feel absolutely bad when I clobbered them.

Jeff
23rd July 2007, 06:40 AM
No, it's a DK version of Icicle Mountain, "Rumble Falls". But the "What's at the top" thing is interesting, maybe it stops scrolling after a while.

Andrew
23rd July 2007, 06:52 AM
The upscroll screen stage was one of my least favourite. Along with Big Blue, Mute City and Rainbow Ride. Pokefloats was okay though.

Drago
24th July 2007, 04:08 AM
Yoshi was unveiled today; none too surprising, but I think it's still a pretty sweet update!
His original SSB apperance was based on his Mario 64 model while SSBM was a new model entirely, it seems to me that this is the first time in a Smash he looks more like the Yoshi we're all familiar with.

Note that there's an image of Yoshi letting down his shield, evident in the shell fragments. I don't recall seeing any other shots of the bubble shields so far, is this evidence that they will return, or is only Yoshi priviledged to his own unique one?
Also,

Amongst other things, he can now use his up special move, the Egg Toss, to increase the distance of his jump. That’s enough to earn him a hearty welcome, isn’t it?
That's bound to send obsessive Yoshi fans into a frenzy.

The Blue Avenger
25th July 2007, 09:20 PM
That's bound to send obsessive Yoshi fans into a frenzy.

Unless, of course, it means his amazing second jump was nerfed into oblivion. :\

Also, Andrew, I use the Ice Climbers. :v They're not bad if you can use them well.

Phoenixsong
25th July 2007, 09:32 PM
Ooh, I was right. Yoshi was the next to be revealed. Yay me.

Rumble Falls = :( HOWEVER! Andrew phails because Mute City, Big Blue and Rainbow Cruise are awesome. How DARE you lump them together with the monstrosity that is Icicle Mountain?! Blasphemy, blasphemy I say!

If they nix Yoshi's second jump, they will have successfully killed the spirit of all that is Yoshi. He's not Yoshi if he can't "fly" like that. I think we're safe in that regard.

Hmm... Bowser and the other badly-type folk being in on the ebil scheme... I don't think that's likely, really. If it is, though, it might mean that there are two versions of aforementioned possible storyline--you can be a good guy and save the world, or you can be a bad guy and (attempt to) conquer it. Kinda like Sonic Adventure 2 or, to an extent, Fable and the like. Ooh, nifty.

As is inevitably the case, I have forgotten what I originally wanted to say. Ah, well. It'll come to me.

The Blue Avenger
25th July 2007, 09:42 PM
If they nix Yoshi's second jump, they will have successfully killed the spirit of all that is Yoshi. He's not Yoshi if he can't "fly" like that. I think we're safe in that regard.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I've not played a lot of Yoshi games - but isn't his flutter jump more of a hovering thing rather than the insane amount of air he gets in SSB anyway?

Also, I've been hearing that Rumble Falls differs from Icicle Mountain because it only goes up. I dunno the validity of that, but if it's true, it seems like it'd be more of a vertical Rainbow Cruise. Not that I'd mind either way; I liked Icicle Mountain.

Also, did anyone else notice Mario climbing the ladder in Rumble Falls?

Phoenixsong
25th July 2007, 10:27 PM
Admittedly, yes, his jump is exaggerated in SSB, but it can still cover horizontal distance in much the same way as the original. I haven't played too many Yoshi games either, and most were a while ago anyway, but it's possible that he was able to get a bit more air in some games than others. I seem to recall his jumps being at least somewhat impressive in Yoshi's Island and such.

Straight up is bad. That means there's no chance of a freak save should you fall at exactly the same time it begins reversing direction. Of course, that also means no freak saves for the opponent, either, but I never seemed to have a problem with those.

Chris 2.1
27th July 2007, 01:43 PM
Knuckle Joe......is he a character or an item? I'm thinking character but I hope not. He looks terrible and a real....well, waste.

The Blue Avenger
27th July 2007, 02:10 PM
He's an Assist Trophy.

And don't you dare call him a waste. :( The Kirby series needs more love.

Starry Might
27th July 2007, 02:20 PM
I was gonna say that Knuckle Joe is an Assist Trophy, but Hypotenuse Man beat me to it while I was typing this post! Oh well.

/me decides to comment on other stuff.

Footstool Jump...interesting.

Skyworld = cool (even though we've seen it before in screenshots).

Ha-ha, Yoshi seems really cute this time around. :)

Rumble Falls looks neat in the second and third screenshots (first one makes it look too generic).

Taking a good look at the "This World..." section...I'd have to agree it's a story mode thing.

So the characters in "Brawl" are just trophies brought to life, huh? :notfunny: That said, it's important to remember that in "SBB" and "SSBM", they showed character trophies coming to life in the intros and stuff, too.

Chris 2.1
27th July 2007, 02:22 PM
He seems very much like Kirby in terms of movepool. SSBB needs new original characters like Pit instead. Anyway assist trophy...I assume it's an trophy that attacks the foe? *Needs to read up on it*

Edit: read up on it :)

The Blue Avenger
27th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Assist Trophies are like Pokeballs, but with other Nintendo characters. And Knuckle Joe would only be like Kirby in terms of the Vulcan Jab. But I agree there are other characters I'd rather see as playable over Knuckle Joe. King Dedede would round out the Kirby team nicely, and I'd love to see Toad as an addition to the Mario roster. Then maybe some Mother3 or EarthBound characters. P:

Chris 2.1
31st July 2007, 06:22 AM
The pitfall item is THE BEST. Loved them in Animal Crossing. A very very very welcome addition.

The items in SSBB are the shnizzle!

Phoenixsong
1st August 2007, 09:17 AM
...Okay, sue me. Or whatever. I was wrong. They didn't wait for a few returning members to reveal the next new guy. They didn't even reveal Meta Knight or Snake.

IKE. Yay! IkeikeikeikeikeIKE! My favorite of the FE lords, confirmed to be playable at last. WHOOT Phoenix is a happy girl. I hope Aether's not just a clone of Marth/Roy's blade dance moves, though; those were hard and it made me feel ashamed whenever my little brother managed to pull them off better than me. NO MORE I SAY.

I hope we get an FE stage, too. Dunno what would be best from PoR, though... uh... Greil's fort? Grann Desert? (They've needed a desert stage from the beginning, says I.) Nados Castle? Eh. I dunno. But it sucked that Marth and Roy didn't have home fields, so Ike definitely needs one. "Together We Ride" coming out of Final Destination, Temple and Fountain of Dreams was just odd.

(Random fact: When I was typing my name, I almost spelled it Phoenicis. Which means nothing if you haven't played PoR, but heh. Funny.)

Chris 2.1
1st August 2007, 04:06 PM
Seems very cool although I wonder if this limits the chance of Roy/Marth appearing? He seems like a cool character.

Alucard
1st August 2007, 04:31 PM
Sick.

Ike is a badass character.

Shadow Djinn
1st August 2007, 08:30 PM
...Okay, sue me. Or whatever. I was wrong. They didn't wait for a few returning members to reveal the next new guy. They didn't even reveal Meta Knight or Snake.

IKE. Yay! IkeikeikeikeikeIKE! My favorite of the FE lords, confirmed to be playable at last. WHOOT Phoenix is a happy girl. I hope Aether's not just a clone of Marth/Roy's blade dance moves, though; those were hard and it made me feel ashamed whenever my little brother managed to pull them off better than me. NO MORE I SAY.

I hope we get an FE stage, too. Dunno what would be best from PoR, though... uh... Greil's fort? Grann Desert? (They've needed a desert stage from the beginning, says I.) Nados Castle? Eh. I dunno. But it sucked that Marth and Roy didn't have home fields, so Ike definitely needs one. "Together We Ride" coming out of Final Destination, Temple and Fountain of Dreams was just odd.

(Random fact: When I was typing my name, I almost spelled it Phoenicis. Which means nothing if you haven't played PoR, but heh. Funny.)

In some of the screenshots the characters have been fighting on a castle stage. It's a general theory that this castle is related to FE, possibly Castle Daein or some other significant one, due to the red flag on the stage that has what seems to be the symbol of Daein's army.

Phoenixsong
1st August 2007, 08:51 PM
Hm, I've never noticed that. I'll have to go back and check that out, then. *plzplzplzplz*

Jeff
2nd August 2007, 06:48 AM
Yup looks like it. A generic FE castle to be exact. It's cool that we now get a Fire Emblem stage to go with the character, every game that characters come from should have its own stage. I'm still curious as to if having an Animal Crossing stage and item means we'll get an Animal Crossing character. I guess we'll find out eventually.

Chris 2.1
2nd August 2007, 07:38 AM
Who would we get? Mr Rosetti? That would be awesome. The castle stage looks good, very interesting. What other new characters do you think we'll get?

Phoenixsong
2nd August 2007, 01:20 PM
As long as it's not a human, because their design is horrid. As one person once said, "Animal Crossing doesn't have humans. They're pigs."

...Very ugly pigs.

Oh, and instead of a castle, it would have been cool if they'd done a stage like Valorous Roland or Mt. Nereas or whatever it was called, with poison gas coming out of the walls and flames shooting up from the ground. I don't think PoR has a stage like that, but eh. It would have been something different. The stage does still look pretty awesome so far, though. Wonder what's underground? (Maybe THAT's where they're hiding the poison-spewing walls!)

The fact that it's a catch-all castle that could be anything from Daein to Bern to Grado to whatever makes me wonder. Since it doesn't match Ike specifically, does that mean that we'll be getting another FE character from a different game? Does it mean a guaranteed return for Marth or Roy (or both?) Or will it be someone new? Lyn is a pretty popular suggestion, but someone like Hector or Ephraim would be cool for a change in weapon (axes and lances ftw yay). Actually, Eliwood or Eirika wouldn't be terrible, either... or it could be another person from a game that hasn't hit America yet. In which case I'd have no idea who it could be other than Lilina. (Or it could be someone from the upcoming Wii title... ooh.)

Hm. If they had both Eliwood and Roy, that might make for some interesting event matches... father vs. son, anyone?

EDIT: Wasn't in the mood to double post. LOOK AT THE NEW STORY/ADVENTURE MODE LOOK AT IT LOOK AT IT LOOK AT IT

Chris 2.1
4th August 2007, 09:47 AM
Erm.

The Subspace Emissary looks EFFING CHALKSOME

Cant wait! Need a Wii first -_-;;

Cut scenes? CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? SIDE SCROLLING? Whoop

ps: looks like Peach is still in this game.

Jeff
7th August 2007, 12:37 PM
For anyone who's been wondering if Sheik (or Gannondorf for that matter) will return, here's an interesting little tidbit (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14154) I found over at Nintendo World Report.

Ganondorf, Sheik in Smash Bros. Brawl

Aonuma lets it slip that his team has been asked to create character designs for Sakurai.

It turns out the Smash Bros. Dojo isn't the only place where we can find out new details on everyone's most anticipated game. Game Informer Online's (and Nintendo World Report's founder) Billy Berghammer has learned from Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma that Sheik and Ganondorf will be playable characters in the upcoming Wii all-star fighter, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

When asked about whether or not Aonuma was consulted on the use of Zelda universe characters in Brawl, he told GI flat-out about the two callbacks from Melee. "Actually, my designers did work on the designs for Sheik and Link and Ganondorf," Aonuma told Berghammer. "So they submitted the initial designs, and so it would fit in the Smash Bros. Brawl environment, they’ve had to tweak some of the designs. But [Masahiro] Sakurai has brought those altered designs to NCL. We’re working very closely with the team of Smash Bros. Brawl to make sure the characters look their best."

This answers the questions of whether or not the two characters would be in the game. There's still the matter of whether or not Zelda and Sheik will still be the same character, however. Will they or won't they?

As for today's update, Ike's special moves are sounding pretty similar to Marth and Roy's.

Andrew
7th August 2007, 08:04 PM
Indeed, say goodbye to Marth and Roy :(

I'm going to miss Counter.

The Blue Avenger
9th August 2007, 05:31 PM
As for today's update, Ike's special moves are sounding pretty similar to Marth and Roy's.

You think so? I personally think Ike's up special is more akin to Kirby's (ie, you get blasted up, then you come straight back down), and his neutral special involves summoning an eruption to come up from the ground - neither of those moves remind me of Marth or Roy. I can see the comparisons between Ike's neutral B and Roy's - the whole fire thing - but it really looks to me like it works much differently.

And I really don't think Marth's going anywhere - he's the main character of the first two games, and (if I'm not mistaken - I don't play a lot of Fire Emblem) one of the only characters to be the main character in more than one game. Incidentally, I think Ike is the other one. If they take him out, I will buy a hat and proceed to eat it. :B

Andrew
10th August 2007, 12:32 AM
Yes, but remember, those games didn't have a release outside out of Japan. Path of Radience has had a much wider audience and Ike is a much more visable FE character. I didn't know about Marth until SSBM.

Marth is one of my favourite characters, but, it's not looking good for him atm. Two Blue Haired FE swordsmen? (BTW how many fucking swords users are there now?)

Also, Pit's Final Smash looks shit. Or PITiful...

The Blue Avenger
10th August 2007, 09:36 AM
Yes, but remember, those games didn't have a release outside out of Japan. Path of Radience has had a much wider audience and Ike is a much more visable FE character. I didn't know about Marth until SSBM.

...which is exactly why Ike is in the game. I still think they'll leave Marth in; he's one of the major characters in the series, he was in the first games, he was in the anime, and by now, everybody knows who he is.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if the first few FE games got a translation and were released over the Virtual Console. P:

Chris 2.1
10th August 2007, 02:49 PM
They can have Marth and Ike. They had Mario and Dr Mario. They had Kirby and Jigglypuff. Young Link and Link. I wonder if characters like YLink Dr Mario etc will return? I expect Game & Watch will, as well as Falco (maybe more Star Fox characters? Krystal?) and Mewtwo etc.

Phoenixsong
10th August 2007, 08:06 PM
Also, note that the castle is a generic FE castle. If Ike were the only FE character in Brawl, they'd have just gone and made it Castle Daein or something specific to PoR. If the castle is a generic one, that means that it can play home to characters from more than one FE title. While that could also mean nixing Marth and Roy in favor of someone else, like Lyn or Hector, it also means that the same stage WILL work for Marth/Roy, which means that at least one of the two might make a comeback.

...Yeah, I said that already, didn't I? Oh, well.

Pit's move = extremely hard to get and overly-dramatic Unown/Beedrill. Looks like it could be a pain in the ass for the other guys sometimes, and useless others. Only time will tell, eh? Palutena looks pretty, though.

Hey, look! There's an Earthbound/Mother item! That particular fact doesn't mean much to me, as I know so little about Earthbound and all that, but it sure looks like fun. That thing basically shuts off half of Samus's moves temporarily. Yay, protection from ranged fighters! (Now, if the Franklin Badge can protect you from the Zero Laser... NOW we're in business.)

The Blue Avenger
10th August 2007, 08:27 PM
Hey, look! There's an Earthbound/Mother item!

That update made me very, very happy. Hopefully this signals more Mother things to come.

Interesting fact: the design for the Franklin Badge is based off the real-life Franklin Badge, which was a promotional item for the original Mother - and there were only 200 printed. They rereleased it with the Mother 3 deluxe pack, too.

Drago
13th August 2007, 05:45 AM
Holy flurking shnit.

Today's update was a doozy, and then some. Maybe it's as a Pokemon fan, maybe it's because it's a new character, and maybe it's just genuine originality points, but...

"Red" is on the roster.

At first glance, I stood aghast. Red a Smasher? How?? He doesn't hit people! He doesn't do any of his own bidding! The only thing he was good for was rubbing a Captain's back... And, in true Nintendo fashion, we're given all those exact qualities (well, not so much the back rubbing), because in effect, we were given three playable Pokemon characters; Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. Wow... just absolutely wow.

For those too lazy to read, Ash/Red/Pokemon Trainer doesn't do squat diddly; he stands back and lets one of the three Pogeys do his battling, and you can freely shift between the three as the battle progresses. They all share the same damage meter, but have individual 'stamina' that wears thin if you don't cycle between the three evenly.

This delivers in so many fields, and in such an ingenious way. I really, really, really love this idea (definitely my favourite bit of news since Snake), and I also cheer Sakurai and his team for delivering on behalf of the legions of Charizard fans without making us Bulba and Squirtle family fans disappointed...

Just absolutely wow. Fan-fricking-tastic.

EDIT: I feel like I just can't state enough how excited I am about this character. I never thought my boy Bulb/Ivy/Venus would ever see the light of day on a Smash roster, but whaddya know, here it is; Ivyyyyyyyy!!

ssj4supernerd
13th August 2007, 07:27 AM
Damn, Ike got in! Really, imho he should be replaced with Ephraim and the second FE char should be Hector, so we get some original weapons(And because Ike sucks but that's a personal opinion)

EDIT: Red indeed owns, and I read somewhere he can change(or outside of battle)clothes, so we prolly get Ruby and Diamond aswell(And maaaybe Gold)

AdventureSerum
13th August 2007, 09:40 AM
O.O POKEMON TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long, Zelda/Sheik, I have a new favorite!

Phoenixsong
13th August 2007, 11:17 AM
Ike does NOT suck. He's the only one of the FE lords that's not a boring stuffed-shirt. There's no fricking difference between Eliwood and Ephraim except choice of weapon. Although a change in weaponry would still be nice.

Along with playable Blaziken, a playable Charizard and a playable trainer have long been on my list of wants. Never did I dream of doing it this way, though... it's frickin' AWESOME. No, really, it is. Now I just want to know if Charizard can fly and I want to see Ivysaur pick up a gun and shoot someone. Seriously. Don't tell me you don't think that'd be effin' awesome.

I don't WANT Ruby/Brendan/whothehellever. If he can "change clothes", why not make a female character playable? You can switch between Nana and Popo... why not? Sexists...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and in case anyone hasn't noticed from these latest and I believe a few older screenshots, there's definitive proof that Kanto Stadium--or something akin to it, and I don't see why it wouldn't be Kanto seeing as its the FRLG trainer--makes a comeback. Fwee.

Chris 2.1
13th August 2007, 05:44 PM
This is awesome news! I wonder if they will have another character of this style? Like perhaps another Pokemon Trainer or maybe even a cycle between Zora Goron and Deku Shrub Link?!

Magi of all
13th August 2007, 07:18 PM
All I can say is this

Best look for Charizard ever. No other game has gotten it right(maybe battle rev, haven't played so wouldn't know). In the stadiums, Colosseum and XD Charizard looked stiff and boring, now he looks deadly. Same with Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Ultimate Charizard
14th August 2007, 08:41 PM
All I can say is this

Best look for Charizard ever. No other game has gotten it right(maybe battle rev, haven't played so wouldn't know). In the stadiums, Colosseum and XD Charizard looked stiff and boring, now he looks deadly. Same with Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Agreed.
One of the things that always bugs me is when they make Charizard fat or stiff looking.
Long range fire attacks, wings, and decent CC strength. I think they had to include the switch out thing as Charizards Weakness lol.

Starry Might
20th August 2007, 02:48 PM
Okay, since there's so much I could comment on, I'll just comment on the playable characters:

Ike: At first, I was like "Who's Ike?"...until I scrolled down and saw that it was actually the guy from "Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance"! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that his presence DOES (among other reasons), indeed, lower Marth and Roy's chances of coming back...and since I loved Marth, this makes me rather unhappy. Oh, well. :notfunny:

(That said, many people on other forums still think Marth still has a good chance of coming back for various - and good - reasons, but I'm personally not gonna get my hopes up too much.)

Pokemon Trainer: Whoa, the "FireRed/LeafGreen" boy and the three Kanto starters (in various stages of evolution)?! This guy DEFINITELY wins the award for "Most Unexpected Addition to the Roster"! :lol:

At first, I was like "What?", but then I realized that this kind of character will actually be really cool! :D

As for alternate costumes, here's my idea for them:

Default: "FR/LG" Boy; regular-colored Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle.
Second: "FR/LG" Girl; regular-colored Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle.
Third: "FR/LG" Boy with palette-swapped clothes (blue cap, blue jacket and blue stuff on shoes; red pants); shiny Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle.
Fourth: "FR/LG" Girl with palette-swapped clothes (blue trim on hat, blue skirt and blue stuff on shoes; red top and red socks); shiny Ivysaur, Charizard, and Squirtle.

Peach: Not exactly surprising that she's back (since she was in that one Subspace Emissary screenshot), but I'm glad she's been officially confirmed anyway, since she was one of my main characters in "Melee". Her dress looks really frilly and neat! :)

Now that's out of the way, I may as well comment on one more thing: Judging from today's update (Link's moves), it looks like they may update certain attacks on the veteran characters (for example, his Boomerang is now the Gale Boomerang from "Twilight Princess").

Ghost
22nd August 2007, 08:30 AM
Woohoo, the newest annouced character is Diddy Kong -_-

Not to diss Diddy Kong or anything, but come on! Annouce Sonic and Tails already! Or show some new screens of Snake...

Jeff
22nd August 2007, 10:21 AM
Woohoo, Diddy Kong! Can anyone say fan service? Diddy's been one of the most requested characters out there.

As for Sonic, although he's likely to be in the game, I don't think they'll announce him until just before the games releases. Sonic is the most-requested third party character, so announcing him would be the big announcement, and everything after that wouldn't be as exiting. So obviously the best way to build up hype before the game releases is to make the big announcement.

Andrew
22nd August 2007, 05:15 PM
I'm actually really happy Diddy's in. I'm hoping Dixie Kong will also be in there too now.

A monkey WITH A GUN! BEST IDEA EVA!11

AdventureSerum
22nd August 2007, 05:16 PM
Diddy Kong... Or Pokemon Trainer... Diddy Kong... Pokemon Trainer... Diddy Kong... Pokemon... IT'S TOO MUCH TO HANDLE!

Phoenixsong
22nd August 2007, 10:39 PM
I see Diddy,
Yes it's Diddy,
I feel giddy, for Diddy is heeeeeere...

Excuse my bad singing. But yes. Diddy. Teh pwnsomeage, kthxbai.

Yeah... IIRC, Diddy, Ike and Wario were pretty much the three most requested Ninty-chars. Y'wanna know what makes me feel REAL special, though? Felix from Golden Sun/Golden Sun: The Lost Age is also a hugely popular choice. This boosts my confidence that me darlin' Venus Adept will put in an appearance... or, at least, someone from the GS crew. And, since Sonic characters won't be revealed until the end if at all (and wtf is taking so long with Snake? EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS HE'S IN), they can satisfy everyone's third-party needs by adding Kratos or Zelos or Lloyd or Sheena or Genis or someone else from Tales of Symphonia. SERIOUSLY. Especially now that there's a Wii sequel coming out. Because Kratos could seriously pwn the shit out of them all.

Oh, and the Primid-subspace-thingummies... yeah. I don't really play Kingdom Hearts much, but... uh... is anyone else forcefully reminded of the Heartless?

Jeff
23rd August 2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, Yoshi's final smash, just wow. The geek inside me is shrieking with joy. Wings and fireballs! All that's missing is the ability to pound the ground just by landing.

AdventureSerum
25th August 2007, 05:27 PM
You know what would be cool? Is if they made a level based on the first level of the original Donkey Kong.

Andrew
25th August 2007, 07:33 PM
Yoshi's Final Smash is the essence of Yoshi - A hodgepodge of awkwardness.

Also, I am wanting K. Rool's Ship to be Diddy's Battleground. Best level eva.

AdventureSerum
26th August 2007, 09:40 PM
You know who would be a really cool but highly unlikely hidden bonus character? Sephiroth.

Andrew
28th August 2007, 06:35 AM
No.

Just no...

They're coming out with a dedicated FF brawler anyway.

Go go GAU!

Blademaster
28th August 2007, 01:09 PM
You know who would be a really cool but highly unlikely hidden bonus character? Sephiroth.

:hellyeah:

Magi of all
28th August 2007, 01:54 PM
Blademaster, are you for or against this?

Any one else find it odd that Meta Kinght has not been officially announced on the site, but seems to be in everything? maybe he's a joke character. i can see it now

Nintendo: You thought we were going to put Meta-Kinght in Brawl? HEHE, stupid fools. were nintendo. We decide who lives and who dies. Guess what? META KNIGHT DIES

Blademaster
28th August 2007, 03:20 PM
For Sephiroth?

:hellyeah:

Phoenixsong
29th August 2007, 11:34 AM
Ehe... ehehe.... silly Charizard bash face on rocks. "Charizard, Self-induced Concussion Attack!"

Number1ChanseyFan
29th August 2007, 04:06 PM
they can satisfy everyone's third-party needs by adding Kratos or Zelos or Lloyd or Sheena or Genis or someone else from Tales of Symphonia. SERIOUSLY. Especially now that there's a Wii sequel coming out. Because Kratos could seriously pwn the shit out of them all.
Yeah, somebody from the Tales series would be pretty cool in this game, Arche from Phantasia would prolly be pretty good too. I really hope they bring back Jigglypuff though. (don't laugh!!) Jiggly always was my very best character.

Phoenixsong
29th August 2007, 08:26 PM
My brother and cousins tremble in fear whenever I bust out the 'Puff. Why does everyone hate it so much? I loves meh Jiggleh, I does. The dislike of Pichu is understandable (I like him, too, btw), but Jiggly...?

Arche, hm? I would think more along the lines of Cress, as he's the main character (and doesn't use swords all the time, which I think would make people happy), or Klaus, as he's probably the most popular Phantasia character. Smacking people with books and dive-bombing moles DOES have its appeal, after all. Arche would be fun, granted, but she presents the same "awkwardness" problem that Lloyd does (what with him apparently unable to hold items). How would they make the broom work? It just wouldn't feel like Arche if she was walking... on the other hand, swinging a broom around an SSB stage sounds hilarious. Ah dunno.

Number1ChanseyFan
31st August 2007, 11:34 AM
Yep, the Puff is tuff, no doubt about that!! ^_^ I scared a lot of people off with the Puff too!! I would be lost without the Puff, that was the only character that I was really great with.

Hmm, yeah, Arche would be a little awkward, because she would have to fly... but how would that work. Still, it would be fun!! As for items, perhaps she could carry them with her Tractor Beam spell?

Another interesting character would be Suzu... With her shurikens and swords and teleporting techniques, as well as mirror imaging and stealing, plus her Jiraiya summoning toad could be pretty cool too.

AdventureSerum
1st September 2007, 03:53 PM
I hope Waluigi is a new character!

Greyfox
1st September 2007, 04:04 PM
I hope he isn't.

I wouldn't mind a Tales of... character being added to the ensemble, especially if they're from Symphonia. If you've played the game, then you'll know that the battle system is near-identical to the Smash Bros. style. Personally, as much as I like Lloyd, I don't think I'd want to see him here -- after all, there's already a lot of sword fighters in the game. Presea, Sheena, or Regal would be more original to me.

That said, Kratos, Lloyd, Regal, and Zelos would be perfect candidates since their fighting styles translate well with Smash; notwithstanding, they all have the necessary techniques to work in Smash.

Lloyd:
B -- Demon Fang
Up B -- Tempest
Down B -- Sword Rain
Smash B - Beast

His standard attacks would be very similar to his standard attacks in Symphonia.

-Grey

Heald
1st September 2007, 06:37 PM
Waluigi is the greatest Mario creation ever. Hell, for some reason, he was the best player in Mario Strikers Charged. Waluigi is a frickin' God.

AdventureSerum
2nd September 2007, 12:28 PM
I certainly like him more than Wario.

Andrew
2nd September 2007, 02:26 PM
Name 3 useful things Waluigi has ever done through his career as a Nintento Auxillery Character used to pad out numbers in the party games?

Heald
2nd September 2007, 05:36 PM
He hasn't, and probably never will. That is the beauty of him - he is pointless and only there to give Wario a partner in crime, if you will. Hell, at least Wario sort of works, since W is M upside-down, Waru means evil in Japan so at least Wario as a name and a character works as an evil Mario, but Waluigi? The name doesn't work, the character doesn't work, in fact, it just doesn't make sense. But as soon as I laid my eyes on him in his first appearance, on Mario Tennis 64, I was like, "Judas Rocking Priest, what the hell has Nintendo done now," when I saw this purple monstrosity dancing around.

Waluigi is a fringe character, however, as his appearances in Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Kart Double Dash have proven, he is given awesome powers and abilities in the games, with the main characters such as Mario and Bowser given absolutely rubbish abilities. If he were put in a game with real video game characters such as Solid Snake, Mario and Link, Waluigi would probably be the best character by far.

Chris 2.1
2nd September 2007, 05:48 PM
Yea its weird how Mario's never like the best character in games he's always just the 'meh' one. Also didn't they make Toadette for the same purpose? Although she's appeared in Mario games (Paper Mario 2) whereas Waluigi is seemingly multiplayer fodder.

The Blue Avenger
2nd September 2007, 08:23 PM
Concerning Waluigi, I'd like him to be in the game if only for his inevitable taunt (http://youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88).

AdventureSerum
4th September 2007, 08:23 AM
I just like how generally creepy Waluigi is.

Phoenixsong
5th September 2007, 12:06 PM
Lol, Meta Knight.

Umumum, anyway. Waluigi... yeah, he's filler... yeah, he's creepy... he'd be okay, but I'm just not feelin' any Smash vibes coming off of him. Not the same way I'm feelin' the vibes of my awesome suggestion on another forum that Cuccos be an assist trophy. It'd be all "lol you got pwned by chickens, dude". Sweeeeeeet.

And yeah, Grey, Regal would be awesome... but, like Lloyd, he has item issues. How do you hold a massive crate full of explosives when your hands are manacled together? Sheena, Genis and Presea would be my top picks for the non-swordsmen. Seriously, though. Little pink-haired girl with an axe twice the size of Bowser. Fun, much? Or Colette might be okay... and she can fly ("glide", if you want to nitpick) without it being a spoiler, which is a potential problem I can see with some of the other characters. No one seems to like her, though. I understand why, but I don't hate her or anything... I'd be happy if she were in it... plus, one of her Smashes could be tripping, falling and causing a cataclysmic explosion, as she always invariably does. No, seriously.

Hm... Suzu... I'm not far enough in Phantasia to have her in my party yet. Dunno enough about her. Ninjas are always awesome, though.

Jeff
7th September 2007, 08:10 AM
Three, count 'em, THREE updates in one day! Ok, so admittedly the last one was a bit of a dud, since we've already heard the main theme before. And at the same time this is coming off of yesterday's double update! So to comment: The CDs sound like a cool idea, they'll undoubtedly have some classic music on them I can't wait to collect (and Sakurai even mentioned that some of the tunes will be the original music rather than an arrangement). The gym music is one of my favorite main themes form pokemon so I'm glad its going to be the music for Poke Stadium 2. And speaking of Pokemon Stadium 2, there were some people speculating that the 4th gen won't have a presence in Brawl, but look at the last screenshot for it, and lo and behold it's the windmills from Valley Windorks (AKA, the Sinnoh Power Plant). So yeah, not absolute confirmation, but still at least a slap in the face to the conspiracy theorists out there.

Phoenixsong
10th September 2007, 01:47 PM
4th gen not have a presence? Tell that to the people who are dying for Lucario to be playable.

Or, at least, tell it to Munchlax.

Munchy is the newest Poké Ball Pokémon to be revealed, and he eats items. Check out the last two screenshots, though. See the ugly little Animal Crossing people? They're all smiley in the second to last shot... and then they get all upset when Munchy eats the Lip's Stick (yay, Lip's Stick is back!). That's effing hilarious right there. Hahaha, their little faces...

AdventureSerum
10th September 2007, 04:51 PM
What game is Lip's Stick from?

Phoenixsong
10th September 2007, 05:00 PM
An old Japan-only game called "Panel de Pon". I don't know much about it. They might have released it on the Wii's virtual console, but if they haven't then they might.

EDIT: Newfish. (So they update early in the morning... that's not a healthy piece of information for me to have.)

ZOMFGLYN. She's not playable, which kinda sucks, but it'd be Sword OD if she were so yeah. Still. LYN.

Also kind of semi-increases the chance of a Marth/Roy return now that Lyn's out of the running for playable FE character. So there's that.

Jeff
11th September 2007, 07:17 AM
Panel de Pon is the Japanese name for Tetris Attack, or Pokemon Puzzle Leauge/Challenge as it's known to some pokemon fans. The original Panel de Pon (which featured Lip's Stick) was considered too girly by US standards, so in the US, it was redone with characters from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That's why we never saw Lip or her stick in the US version.

Phoenixsong
13th September 2007, 11:16 AM
Ah, right. I had heard something about Tetris before, now that I think about it.

Anyway, the Special Brawl looks interesting. Some of that you could technically do just by rigging the items in Melee, but this way you can still use regular items AND have Giant Bunny Metal Whatever Brawl. Yay.

Andrew
14th September 2007, 06:10 AM
Bad News.

Ice Climbers are back.

:(

Jeff
14th September 2007, 06:49 AM
I'm neutral on this, but given how sure some people were that they were gone, I find this absolutely hilarious. I think I can hear the Internet exploding though.

classy_cat18
14th September 2007, 11:46 AM
I think Ice Climbers are okay. They weren't my best character but it was cool using them for the Home Run minigame. The only gripe I had about them is their third jump.

The Blue Avenger
14th September 2007, 12:20 PM
The Ice Climbers are awesome, and I'm pumped that they're back. It's great splitting them up and having them attacking different people - I'm still working on doing it intentionally, but it's always great when it happens accidentally.

Phoenixsong
14th September 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm neutral on this, but given how sure some people were that they were gone, I find this absolutely hilarious. I think I can hear the Internet exploding though.

Same here. In fact, just the other day I read some blog or something (written in 2006, mind you... WOW this guy was off) about it, and everyone was talking about how it'd been confirmed that Ice Climbers and Young Link weren't coming back. Um, yeah, no... Young Link has really poor chances, to be sure, but no one's said anything about who's not making the cut. We won't know that until the last character update.

Cheer up, Andrew. You can always do what I do and take out your aggression on the characters you hate. Don't think of it as the inclusion of someone you hate to use... think of it as the inclusion of someone you love to beat the crap out of!

In other news, Special Brawl looks like lots of fun.

AdventureSerum
14th September 2007, 04:29 PM
Well, I was never too hot on the Ice Climbers (HA HA IT'S A PUN) but I do like how much their textures have improved. You can really see how leathery those little gloves are and the fuzz on the fringe of their coats.

PNT510
18th September 2007, 09:28 AM
Wi-Fi has finally been confirmed. Friend codes and no voice chat sucks, but at least it's online.

Heald
18th September 2007, 09:37 AM
Nintendo are morons.

"Look! The XBox/XBox 360 has awesome online multiplayer, and the PS3 is looking sweet too! What is the Wii going to have?"

"Brilliant idea! Each console has a friend code so you only need one alias to log in!"

"Great! Let's implement that, then totally disregard it and give each game its own code! Also, you can only play against people you know. Except when we sometimes let you randomly play against someone on the same continent as you! And then you can't chat to them, just in case they use profanity! That's right! We're throwing all common sense out of the window in the name of the children! Take that Microsoft Live! Oh shit, you have voice chat, can play against anyone on the planet, plus cross-format compatibility with the PC? Well, at least you can't swear on Wii online! Haha!"

I've still yet to hear a single good reason why Pokemon DP, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Mario Strikers and now, supposedly, SSBB, are going back to the stone age in terms of the online interface when tried and true methods of internet play have been around for ages. There isn't. The only reason they're making it as limited as possible is to protect the children.

So much for trying to lose their kiddy image.

MToolen
18th September 2007, 12:52 PM
I think that Nintendo wasn't going for kid-friendly with this; more of family-friendly. My parents are a bit conservative on profanity and content, so I appreciate the decision.

PNT510
18th September 2007, 04:20 PM
It's not a family friendly approach. Nintendo thinks people will come rape little kids after playing pokemon with them online.

Andrew
18th September 2007, 07:43 PM
Wasn't that always the Nintendo Catchcry though?

Drago
19th September 2007, 12:29 AM
I hear where you're coming from Heald, but personally I'll settle for it. It's better than none at all, eh? For a while I thought they wouldn't be able to implement it.
I've been pretty happy with Mario Strikers' online so far, though I'll admit I've never been an avid online gamer, so I haven't been exposed to the aspects of actually well-implemented online.

I'm a tad bummed about the messages being disabled vs. anyone, though. Yes, protect the children, but how about an option to disallow it if you choose, rather than just preventing it outright? Ho-hum.

Heald
19th September 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm a tad bummed about the messages being disabled vs. anyone, though. Yes, protect the children, but how about an option to disallow it if you choose, rather than just preventing it outright? Ho-hum.
Why would they waste time doing that? Only kids play Wii. Duh.

AdventureSerum
19th September 2007, 05:56 PM
Am I the only one completely not bothered that the Wi-Fi isn't that great. Maybe it's because my Wi-Fi never works anyway.

Phoenixsong
19th September 2007, 11:29 PM
I don't care about being able to talk to people... I hardly talk to people IRL anyway. As long as I can play against someone other than an COM for a change.

FC's do suck, though. No denying that.

SupremeChampion
20th September 2007, 07:47 AM
maybe i'm just reading this wrong, but I think that you can battle anyone on-line. i mean, to my understanding, you can battle with friends (people you've registered as friends) or with anyone. now, i would assume that with anyone would mean anyone on the planet, especially since they do mention distance when talking about on-line battling and all.

haha but anyway, i'm a little late to the party, but i'm psyched that nintendo made another smash brothers title. i mean i knew it would come, but i'm so psyched its here. i think those final smash attacks are awesome, and they've been a long time coming. haha believe it or not, i actually talked with my sister about them doing something like this when the first smash brothers came out. i thought each character should have some sort of bar they would need to fill, and once it was full they could use their final attack, haha i honestly thought about this. that being said, i'm thrilled about the prospect of a final smash, and even about all the new characters coming to the game. link's still my favorite (haha being that he's my main character).

~The Italian Stallion

Phoenixsong
20th September 2007, 02:17 PM
No, no, you CAN battle anyone. Heald was complaining about not being able to talk to people whose Friend Codes you don't have. Or, rather, use the preset messages.

Hmmm... Piplup. Empoleon would've been better. Oh, well.

Heald
20th September 2007, 05:39 PM
No, no, you CAN battle anyone. Heald was complaining about not being able to talk to people whose Friend Codes you don't have. Or, rather, use the preset messages.

'Complaining' is such a negative word. 'Being right about' is probably more accurate. Probably.

Drago
21st September 2007, 01:04 AM
haha but anyway, i'm a little late to the party, but i'm psyched that nintendo made another smash brothers title. i mean i knew it would come, but i'm so psyched its here. i think those final smash attacks are awesome, and they've been a long time coming. haha believe it or not, i actually talked with my sister about them doing something like this when the first smash brothers came out. i thought each character should have some sort of bar they would need to fill, and once it was full they could use their final attack, haha i honestly thought about this. that being said, i'm thrilled about the prospect of a final smash, and even about all the new characters coming to the game. link's still my favorite (haha being that he's my main character).

~The Italian Stallion
My mind flashed back to TMNT Tournament Fighters when you said that... Nostalgia. Yum.
I have a feeling Captain Falcon is looming very nearby as far as updates go. Though I wouldn't be surprised if today's update was just another B-moves one, or perhaps music.

Phoenixsong
21st September 2007, 02:38 AM
Lolsnake.

Anyway. There y'go. That's all of the previewed new challengers, isn't it? From now on, there'll only be surprises... and more old people.

Drago
21st September 2007, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if today's update was just another B-moves one, or perhaps music.

Today's updates: Snake: Special Moves, MGS4 Love Theme
DragoKnight predictions FTW. I just neglected to mention there'd also be a character update to go with that. :D

Next is Captain Falcon's time to shine. Or perhaps Luigi, who, with Mario's F.L.U.D.D. update, is likely to have some new tricks up his sleeve.

Heald
21st September 2007, 03:21 AM
I went on the site today, and the big news of the day is...

SNAKE IS IN THE FUCKING GAME PEOPLE

I totally did NOT see that coming.

Starry Might
21st September 2007, 02:31 PM
It's been awhile since I've said anything in here...and a lot has been update since then. I'll just comment mainly on the characters, Final Smashes, bosses, stages, items, and the like:

Diddy Kong: I knew Andrew would like this update. :) Anyway, it's cool to see him in "Brawl" since he's been a wanted character for this series for years.

Yoshi's Final Smash: "Smash Ball gives you wings!"

Petey Piranha: He's the first boss in the Subspace Emissary mode...and he has Peach and Zelda captive! You can save one of them, but not the other (at least at that time, I reckon).

Anyhow, has anyone here given thought to which Princess they'll save here? Personally, I'm saving Peach, 'cause as I said before, she's one of my best characters in "Melee".

Superspicy Curry: Ha-ha, I can just see it now...

*MARIO EATS THE CURRY AND STARTS BELCHING FIRE* "MAMA MIA! THAT'S A SPICY MEAT-A-BALL!"

:lol: :heh: Moving along...

Andross: It's the original Andross from the original "Star Fox", and he spits blocks and stuff. Tiddy boom.

WarioWare: Crazy, man.

Meta Knight: 'Bout time, eh? ;)

Mario Special Moves: Correct me if I'm wrong, but NOBODY here has mentioned the fact that the Mario Tornado is now an A button-type move, and the new Down + B move is...F.L.U.D.D. from "Super Mario Sunshine"! Apparently, it does no damage, but it pushes people back.

Pokemon Stadium 2: Woo-hoo, the Stadium's back, and with new Elemental stage changes, to boot!

Munchlax: A Pokemon that eats Items? Yikes! (I think that just for laughs, if Munchlax eats the Superspicy Curry, he should start belching flames like player characters would.)

Lyn: It would have been neat if she was playable, but I'm cool with her being an Assist Trophy.

Battleship Halberd: See "Meta Knight".

Ice Climbers: I knew Andrew would hate this update. :P (No offense, dude.) Anyhow, even though they're not among my main characters of choice in "Melee", I'm glad to see them back in "Brawl".

Golden Hammer: STOP! GOLDEN HAMMER TIME! :lemoncool: (*THE GOLDEN HAMMER TURNS OUT TO BE A BAD ONE THAT SQUEAKS*) Oh, snap... :mad:

Subspace Enemies: I like Auroros (the bird) one the best.

Piplup: Piplup was my starter in "Diamond" (and has long since become a big, bad Empoleon), so I'm glad to see him as a Pokeball Pokemon in "Brawl".

Snake: Snaaaaaaaaaake, it's Snaaaaaaaaake! Oooooooh, it's Snaaaaaaaaake! (First person to guess the meme reference gets a cookie.) 'Bout time!

Oh, and this screenshot = EPIC WIN!!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/snake/snake_070921c-l.jpg

That's what Ike gets for endangering Marth's chances of returning. :P (LOL)

(No offense to Phoenixsong or any other Ike fans. I really don't hate him, actually. ;))

(Hot dang, that was long... *COLLAPSES FROM TYPING*)

Heald
21st September 2007, 02:43 PM
^ Badger Badger Badger. Too lazy to quote.

Starry Might
21st September 2007, 04:40 PM
^ Badger Badger Badger. Too lazy to quote.
:D We have a winner! :D

http://www.undergroundnotes.com/wkett/starrymightspics/heresyourcybercookie.jpg

AdventureSerum
21st September 2007, 06:20 PM
Snake! SNAKE! SNAAAAAKE!

I'm psyched and I've never even played a single game he's been in. It's probably that box. Does anyone else feel a little creeped out by that Snake/Ike picture?

Phoenixsong
21st September 2007, 06:45 PM
Offended? Who's offended? I made the same comment about that on a different forum. I don't mind it when my favorite characters are abused. I do it all the time in fanfiction!

But anyway, yeah... so. Um. Nothing else of substance to say, so perhaps I should just go.

Before I do, though...

LOL BUTTSECKS

*runs*

AdventureSerum
22nd September 2007, 05:44 PM
Ha ha, yeah, that's about what I was thinking.

ssj4supernerd
23rd September 2007, 06:55 AM
The badger thing is stupid, the potter potter potter weasley weasley potter potter potter its a snape oooh its a snape is way cooler. n.n

Anywayz, the Snake attack on Ike screenshot= EPIC WIN!

I really hate the Ice Climbers btw, Nintendo wasted a character slot imho. =/

Blademaster
23rd September 2007, 01:37 PM
Seconded. VERY seconded.

DarkestLight
23rd September 2007, 04:21 PM
Dude what? Snake on a floating camera? Yagtastic. I was all pumped for Snake, and then he dosen't get a damn grappling hook or ANYTHING?

Greyfox
23rd September 2007, 07:08 PM
Dude what? Snake on a floating camera? Yagtastic. I was all pumped for Snake, and then he dosen't get a damn grappling hook or ANYTHING?

Grappling hooks are overplayed. This adds some uniqueness to his character. I mean... it's a flying camera... how awesome is that!?

-Red

Starry Might
24th September 2007, 02:11 PM
Offended? Who's offended? I made the same comment about that on a different forum. I don't mind it when my favorite characters are abused. I do it all the time in fanfiction!
Phew, I'm not in trouble! :keke:

In other news, they're bringin' Trophies back (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various05.html)! (Yeah!) :cool:

The funny thing is, I was actually wondering just very recently if there would be Trophies in "Brawl". I guess my question got answered this morning. :D

AdventureSerum
24th September 2007, 06:37 PM
Well, it looks like food is making a victorious comeback. THE TROPHIES LOOK LIKE SO MUCH FUN! THEY'LL HAVE EVEN MORE THAN SSBM! MUST! COLLECT! TROPHIES!

Starry Might
25th September 2007, 07:58 AM
Hey guys, Smash Dojo revealed, for the first time in quite awhile, a Final Smash!

Today's Subject: Diddy Kong! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/diddykong.html#3rd)

Heh-heh, he looks psycho while he's doing it (i.e. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" :rolleyes2:). :lol:

Jeff
27th September 2007, 07:01 AM
Another one today, a bit of a disappointment though. It could have been a legendary, or each pokemon could have its own personalized final smash, like Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon. Instead all three come out at once. Its OK, but it could have been better. The pokemon-style text boxes are a nice touch though. And Mr. Resetti is great, even though he really doesn't do anything. He's like Goldeen with an interesting twist.

ssj4supernerd
27th September 2007, 09:43 AM
Seeing as R/B/Y are the best games around Pokemon, so I'm happy we got Solar Beam, Hydro Pump and Fire Blast. Loved this update. ^0^

Starry Might
28th September 2007, 02:03 PM
Another one today, a bit of a disappointment though. It could have been a legendary, or each pokemon could have its own personalized final smash, like Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon. Instead all three come out at once. Its OK, but it could have been better. The pokemon-style text boxes are a nice touch though. And Mr. Resetti is great, even though he really doesn't do anything. He's like Goldeen with an interesting twist.
I think the Pokemon Trainer's Final Smash is awesome myself, mainly because of the text boxes ("It's super-effective!"). (BTW, I was actually thinking that Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard SHOULD have been respectively using Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant, and Blast Burn...until I remembered that only final-stage Starters can learn them, so technically, only Charizard could do such a thing - DOH!)

Oh, and Mr. Resetti = best Assist Trophy to date. ("Kirby.... Pikachu.... You'd be runnin' home to Mama!")

And in other news, the Tournament (called "Tourney" here) mode is back (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various06.html). (I was hoping for a new/returning Character update myself, since it would have been the perfect way to end what I personally saw as a week of cool updates, but I like doing Tournament mode sometimes in "Melee", so it's all cool, I guess. :))

Starry Might
1st October 2007, 08:14 AM
http://www.undergroundnotes.com/wkett/starrymightspics/bump.gif

Sorry for the "Bump", but there was a HUGE update at the Dojo today...

Lucas from "Mother 3" has joined "Brawl"! (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/lucas.html)

The big question in the Smash community now is...has he replaced Ness or not?

I guess only time will truly tell...

The Blue Avenger
1st October 2007, 12:35 PM
There is one thing I have to say about this.

Hell yes Lucas.

Phoenixsong
1st October 2007, 12:48 PM

Who is Lucas?

...not that I actually knew who Ness was, either... whatever.

Starry Might
1st October 2007, 01:51 PM

Who is Lucas?

...not that I actually knew who Ness was, either... whatever.

Wikipedia FTW (*SPOILER WARNING, JUST IN CASE*):

Lucas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mother_3_characters#Lucas)

Ness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_EarthBound_characters#Ness)

TBPH, I now have a feeling that Ness is toast. (Actually, I have a feeling that Sakurai may be taking an "Out-With-The-Old-In-With-The-New" approach with playable reps of certain franchises in general [see also: Ike] [*ACTIVATES FLAME SHIELD*].)

As Lucas's afortmentioned Wikipedia entry states:

Lucas was also supposed to replace Ness in Super Smash Bros. Melee but due to Mother 3 being delayed, Ness stayed. Lucas has been confirmed as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
This can be further confirmed by looking at Ness's entry at the official Japanese "Melee" site (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0717/index.html) (I've taken the liberty of running that aforementioned link through Google Translate...don't blame me for the wacky Engrish, though!).

The Blue Avenger
1st October 2007, 02:02 PM
Wikipedia FTW (*SPOILER WARNING, JUST IN CASE*):

Lucas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mother_3_characters#Lucas)

Yeah, there are a lot of big spoilers on that page. If you ever plan on playing Mother 3, don't look past Lucas' entry.

DarkestLight
1st October 2007, 05:25 PM
If Lucas is here, Ness is here,and that means Ness is going to rock even harder than before. This is getting ridiculous though, how many characters have we NOT seen?

AdventureSerum
1st October 2007, 06:22 PM
I wish I could find original (working) copies of the Mother games. That would make my day.

Starry Might
2nd October 2007, 07:21 AM
I decided to look at the Dojo after all this morning...today's update has more stuff about Snake.

First, a video (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/snake.html#movie) (I don't watch the videos on the site, personally...I guess I want them to be a surprise when the game comes out)...

...and second, his stage (Shadow Moses Island), plus more videos (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/stage13.html)!

Phoenixsong
2nd October 2007, 12:38 PM
"Met Ling, Samus took her clothes off!"

XD

Drago
2nd October 2007, 04:27 PM
Alright, I cry foul. Why in the high hell aren't Snake's comm videos on the UK site? If y'all hadn't mentioned 'em I wouldn't have known about them...

Starry Might
3rd October 2007, 02:21 PM
"Met Ling, Samus took her clothes off!"

XD
Actually, it's "Mei Ling", but I thought that was funny, too. :D

Alright, I cry foul. Why in the high hell aren't Snake's comm videos on the UK site? If y'all hadn't mentioned 'em I wouldn't have known about them...
I dunno. I looked at the British site this morning (to confirm what I saw you said), and sure enough...no comm videos. Same with the other European sites (German, French, Spanish, and Italian). :notfunny:

Anyways...how about them new Assist Trophies (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/assist09.html)?

Yes, Trophies...today's entry mainly focuses on the new Excitebike AT (which is in the form of a bunch of little 2D bikers who ride around and run into people...keen! :keke:), but in the same place, Lakitu was also confirmed as a 2D AT who throws Spinies down at people.

This game is gonna be nuts, nuts, nuts! :rolleyes2:

Phoenixsong
4th October 2007, 02:12 AM
Bah. Typo. Whatever.

Anyway, shielding and dodging, nothing new.

But the Landmaster... mwaahaha. That looks like FUN. Running people over with massive vehicles is ALWAYS fun.

Mallow
4th October 2007, 04:19 AM
I've been watching the site ever since its relaunch. I wasn't too happy with Snake until the update with the videos. The 3rd video of him getting information was the best one ever. XD Today's update looked quite fun! I can't wait to run over other players. It's getting harder to wait until the game's launch with some of these awesome updates.

AdventureSerum
4th October 2007, 05:40 PM
Hahaha, he wants to find out what Yoshi tastes like and get it on with Samus! Finally, a common voice for the youth of today!

Speaking of Samus... Those are quite some... Proportions... -.-

Seriously, if they're not wearing pink dresses they're like THAT. Trousers, please!

Drago
5th October 2007, 02:19 AM
Team-building co-op subspace using a Kirby-like 'protagonist' structure? I'll take that, thanks.

Phoenixsong
5th October 2007, 02:55 AM
You. Have no idea. Just how badly. I have wanted. Something like this.

Yay! *does her happy dance*

Starry Might
5th October 2007, 02:16 PM
Bah. Typo. Whatever.
That's okay. :)

Anyway, shielding and dodging, nothing new.

But the Landmaster... mwaahaha. That looks like FUN. Running people over with massive vehicles is ALWAYS fun.
Yeah, that Landmaster update = AWESOME.

Sakurai: "Yayyy! It’s a free ride!" :dance:

*FOX DOES A ROLL IN THE SCREENSHOT THAT FOLLOWS THE PRECEDING SCREENSHOT'S CAPTION, SENDING ZELDA, DIDDY KONG, AND LUCAS FLYING*

Sakurai: "Don’t ride the Landmaster!" :eng101:

Team-building co-op subspace using a Kirby-like 'protagonist' structure? I'll take that, thanks.
Yeah, that's pretty cool, too! :D

Anyways, I've decided to only look at the Dojo on Fridays on my regular Internet time from now on (so I can review the week's updates and stuff...I didn't look yesterday, so the Shielding/Dodging and Fox's Final Smash updates are new to me today)

See ya next Friday in here! :wave:

Dark Scizor
8th October 2007, 04:16 PM
Has anyone ever been on Smashboards? Some of the reactions to certain updates is hillarious.

The Blue Avenger
8th October 2007, 04:27 PM
I haven't been to Smashboards in years. I should definitely take a look...

Mallow
9th October 2007, 12:33 AM
I've never been there before, but I think I'll go take a gander now that you mentioned it.

Drago
9th October 2007, 02:45 AM
Smashboards is hardly worth it. It's a huge community, but it's flooded with useless 'suggested moveset' topics and hundreds of pages of people arguing why their character should be in.
Annoying, but every now and then you'll find some worthwhile conversational topics.

Mallow
9th October 2007, 02:56 AM
Sounds like it's an extended version of the Smash Bros. subforum from the Nintendo NSiders forum. XD

Today's update made it even more painful to wait for Dec. 2 to freeze my butt off outside of a Best Buy for this game. Ashley's Theme sounds like an awesome song for the WarioWare stage! I was wondering what the song would have been. At first, I thought that it would have played the original song for each individual microgame.

Jeff
9th October 2007, 07:17 AM
Yay another double update. The first one, we kind of already saw, but the list of things we saw before but not here is getting smaller. Ashley's theme sounds cool, and appropriate with Halloween coming up.

Blademaster
9th October 2007, 02:31 PM
WHOA.

I normally don't wanna see spoilers for big games like this, but hold. The fucking. Phone.

ASHLEY'S MUSIC IS GONNA BE IN BRAWL???

God almighty... As much as WarioWare has bored me to death, that single thing still sticks in my mind as one of the series' greatest achievements...

"Who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion?
(You better learn my name 'cause I am) ASHLEY!
She knows the darkest spells and she brews the meanest potions.
(You might be the ingredient I seek.)

Don't let yourself be fooled by her innocent demeanor.
(You should be afraid of the great) ASHLEY!
She doesn't play with dolls, and she never combs her hair.
(Who has time for girly things like that?)

(Eye of newt, I cast a hex on you.
Grandma's wig, this'll make you big.
Kitten spit, soon your pants won't fit.
Pantalones Giganticus! Oh no, not again!)

She could rule the world, and still finish all her homework.
(Everyone knows that I'm the greatest) ASHLEY!
You better watch your step or she'll cast a spell on you.
(I turned my teacher into a spoon.)

(I must flip to my spellbook, and yes, it's true:
I don't have as many friends as you.
But I think you're nice and maybe we could be friends.
And if you say no, you're toast.)

Who's the girl next door living in the haunted mansion?
(You better learn my name 'cause I am) ASHLEY!
Just remember this when you see her on the street.
(I'm the cruelest girl you'll ever meet.)

(I'm the cruelest girl you'll ever meet.)

(I'm the) CRUELEST GIRL YOU'LL EVER MEET!"

(sigh) Good times... Good times...

That's it: This game now officially owns all other games ever made short of Galaxy. End. Of. STORY. :hellyeah:

The Blue Avenger
9th October 2007, 03:32 PM
Hey, Blade, if you want to hear them, I've put the English version and the Japanese version up on Megaupload.

Check it. (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WGUFJBVI)

Blademaster
9th October 2007, 07:16 PM
I bow to thine l33tness.

Greyfox
10th October 2007, 01:36 AM
I come with gifts (http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826130p1.html). Scroll down to where it says "14:24", then read the remainder. You're welcome.

-Session

PNT510
10th October 2007, 02:23 AM
Just read over on 1up that Sonic has been confirmed, but Grey's already posted the news.

I was kinda expecting this news after Snake was confirmed. I wonder who's next? Tails? Mega Man? Sephiroth? Nobody?

Phoenixsong
10th October 2007, 02:33 AM
*pokes official update* And there be yer proof.

...They've gone and done it now. All I'll say before I run from the violent battle between the haters and the fanboys that is sure to ensue is that I never cared either way. (I did always like the SA2 soundtrack, though, so the music is cool.) Though it is interesting that they didn't introduce him last. Whoever said that they'd do it was right; everything after this is going to be pretty anticlimactic, barring the introduction of either Kratos/Zelos or Felix... and that's just for me personally. Anyone who's not rabidly hoping for the inclusion of any other characters is going to be a little bored with the updates from now on.

*flees*

...Okay, I'm not done. Ahem. We also have conformation about Warp Stars and Snorlax coming back as well as the additions of Torchic and Kyogre. Mmm, Warp Stars and Snorlax. I love raining death down on my opponents from the heavens. Oh, and Ashley's Theme is awesome, yes? That's about the only WW song I can remember from that brief stint with my brother's friend's copy of it. Weird game, but yeah, some deliciously boss music here and there.

*NOW flees*

Drago
10th October 2007, 06:35 AM
You've officially sold me, Sakurai. I will now do your bidding. I love everything about that video; the inclusion of SA2's music, the scenes of Sonic battling, the footage of him with Mario... and wtf emeralds? Someone's got some influence in the story mode...

Jeff
10th October 2007, 07:05 AM
Three words:
Oh
My
God.
We all knew it was coming, but now? A random Wednesday in October? But it looks like Sonic was already confirmed at the Fall '07 Conference, so I guess it makes sense to reconfirm him at the Dojo, otherwise Sakurai would have angry mobs questioning why he hasn't posted Sonic yet. Sure this was the "big one", but all this update really was was a character profile, I'm still looking forward to movesets (Sonic's and others), final smashes, items, and stages. There's still plenty of info left with only a little more than a month and a half to go.

The Blue Avenger
10th October 2007, 07:07 AM
...unfortunately, it looks like the release date is TBD again. >_< I think they tried to hide it with the Sonic update (which is, incidentally, rockin').

Dark Scizor
10th October 2007, 07:48 AM
Of all the updates I never wanted to see, todays was it. I don't mind Sonic being included, it's just the furry jubilation that I'll be seeing everywhere on the internet that's going to be annoying.

Jeff
10th October 2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah and according to Nintendo World Report, it looks like Japan finally got a confirmed release date: January 24th. The pretty much confirms my fear that the game will be pushed past Christmas here.

ssj4supernerd
10th October 2007, 08:04 AM
Sonic is suckage, confirmation of chars I want in order:

Luigi >>>> Roxas(KH DS <3) >>>>> Zero(if we need a Megaman Char) >>>>> Mega Man(he sucks, I'd rather have Zero)

classy_cat18
10th October 2007, 02:05 PM
I'm betting that Super Sonic is Sonic's final smash. I really need a Wii now! I can't stand the fact that I won't be able to play one of the hottest games of the year!

DarkestLight
10th October 2007, 04:14 PM
Life is great. I heard this while at work, nearly screamed out loud :D! Its so OVER for everyone I play online. Sonic is my ace!

Blademaster
10th October 2007, 04:52 PM
Life is great. I heard this while at work, nearly screamed out loud :D! Its so OVER for everyone I play online. Sonic is my ace!

Wha...!?

Darkly, you stupid ass! >< How can Sonic be your ace if he's NEVER BEEN IN SMASH BROS.!??!?

(I'm joking, by the way, before anyone jumps on my back for yelling at random people again. :sweat:)

EDIT: Incidentally, this place has more or less kicked into high gear almost overnight... Is Sonic's revelation really that big? I've seen it coming for awhile now, and as far as brainpower goes, I'm pretty low on the TPM ladder...

It just seemed kinda obvious as soon as they added Snake in and the question of Sonic popped up and went unanswered for so long...

Oh, and yay... The game's release is being pushed back AGAIN.

I don't get it... The Wii is Nintendo's most revolutionary system ever. Why do they continuously fuck it up with delayed titles, wrongly-dated titles, re-released titles, and just plain bad titles?

Drago
11th October 2007, 02:24 AM
Sonic is suckage, confirmation of chars I want in order:

Luigi >>>> Roxas(KH DS <3) >>>>> Zero(if we need a Megaman Char) >>>>> Mega Man(he sucks, I'd rather have Zero)
Bolded the part worth laughing at. This is why your anti-Sonic opinion is invalid. lol j/k mate, though I do happen to entirely disagree with both your disapproval for Sonic and approval for Roxas.
The only knock against Sonic is that he hasn't had a good game in years, but I say so what? Neither has Fox, Pit or the Ice Climbers.

classy_cat18
11th October 2007, 03:59 AM
The only knock against Sonic is that he hasn't had a good game in years, but I say so what? Neither has Fox, Pit or the Ice Climbers.

Which is why we all look forward to this game. It's their chance at redemption. And the Ice Climbers only had the one game on the NES, I believe.

DarkestLight
11th October 2007, 06:14 AM
Hold the phone Drago knight. I beg to differ. He has had ..err 3 good games.

I emphasize good, not great, but not mediocre

Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Battle (Ok for me this was great.)
Sonic and the Secret Rings

I didn't play SA3, hated Shadow, hated S06 for X360hellcrap and Heroes was crap, and yeah...dare not go on through the injustice that has been played upon my blue spined hero

And Blade, Sonic Battle=Sonic fighting game=Sonic being my Ace in that=Gonna be my ace for Brawl=PWNS DA BLADEZZ :O!!

PNT510
11th October 2007, 09:06 AM
bad[/B] titles?

Nintendo has been delaying games forever. It's one of(not the only though) reasons that the N64 and Gamecube did so poorly.

ssj4supernerd
11th October 2007, 09:38 AM
Bolded the part worth laughing at. This is why your anti-Sonic opinion is invalid. lol j/k mate, though I do happen to entirely disagree with both your disapproval for Sonic and approval for Roxas.

Dude, I hate Sonic, don't cry about it, everyone their own opinion mkay?

Roy Karrde
11th October 2007, 12:17 PM
George Harrison has confirmed that the game will be getting a delay in the US as well, hitting stores on Sunday, February 10 of 2008.

This came from Nintendo's Media Conference.

Blademaster
11th October 2007, 01:55 PM
And Blade, Sonic Battle=Sonic fighting game=Sonic being my Ace in that=Gonna be my ace for Brawl=PWNS DA BLADEZZ :O!!

1. I've never heard of Sonic Battle. Is the blue blur's legacy so shitty that even his good games go unnoticed anymore? Or did Sonic Battle suck as well and you're one of the chosen few who liked it?

2. If you think I'm scared of Sonic, I have a certain orange-armored bounty huntress for him that I bet he'd just love to meet.

...So... Brawl's been pushed back another two months. ...Why? That's what I wanna know. Haven't they crammed enough into this game already? Or are they trying to build suspense (I call it irritation by this point...) by sneaking in one final surprise that nobody's expecting?

PNT510
11th October 2007, 04:07 PM
1. I've never heard of Sonic Battle. Is the blue blur's legacy so shitty that even his good games go unnoticed anymore? Or did Sonic Battle suck as well and you're one of the chosen few who liked it?

2. If you think I'm scared of Sonic, I have a certain orange-armored bounty huntress for him that I bet he'd just love to meet.

...So... Brawl's been pushed back another two months. ...Why? That's what I wanna know. Haven't they crammed enough into this game already? Or are they trying to build suspense (I call it irritation by this point...) by sneaking in one final surprise that nobody's expecting?

Maybe it's not so much cramming stuff in there as optimizing the game. The public hasn't been aloud to play the game once yet and online was just recently 100% confirmed so they might need the extra time for frame rate or lag issues or any other number of bugs.

Heald
11th October 2007, 04:26 PM
Sonic is an awesome inclusion, whether you love him or hate him, since if you hate him, you can kick his ass! Personally, I love Sonic and thus am literally salivating at the prospect of spin-dashing the hell out of Mario.

Hopefully, the delay means they're only sticking in lots more cool stuff for us to play with. A confirmed character list would be nice - since clearly they already know who they're going to include, but I am already predicting who is going to make a comeback...

Out of the original 12, I reckon the only character who might get the chop is Ness, considering that Lucas will probably be a clone of him, but I reckon Ness will be put in the final product. As for Luigi...I really do hope he is more than a Mario clone this time. Possibly something based off Luigi's Mansion.

Out of the expanded 25, I reckon that Young Link, Dr Mario, Mr Game & Watch, Pichu, Marth and Roy all face the chop.

I'd also like to know whether Falco and Ganondorf will make a reappearance, and if they have unique movesets this time, instead of just being clones of other characters. Ganondorf transforming into Ganon as a final smash would be pretty sweet.

There were rumours that cel-shaded Link were going to make an appearance. I hope that this is definitely not the case. Speaking of Link, I wonder if he can transform into a wolf, since they're using the Twilight Princess model of Link. Also, if Zelda is based on the Twilight Princess model, chances could be that she has lost the power to transform in Sheik...of course, only time can tell.

Possible new characters are Zant and Midna, although probably very unlikely. Midna with the fused shadow transformation as a final smash though - very appealing.

Now Bowser Jr. has had more appearances in the recent Mario games, it could be the case that the son of King Koopa himself could possibly make an appearance. While I am not the little git's biggest fan, a smaller, faster Bowser could be an interesting addition.

Of course, I think everyone knows I'm waiting for Waluigi to be included, although this is incredibly unlikely. Sakurai, if you're reading this...PLEASE PUT WALUIGI IN.

Otherwise, I have no other real speculations. I doubt they'll include any more new playable Pokemon. I'd like to see Banjo-Kazooie, but since they're owned by Microsoft now, that'll be very unlikely. Plus, they seem to have dropped off the radar for the meantime anyway...sniff.

That's all the speculation I have. I eagerly await new challengers on the website, although after Sonic, I reckon there will be a news-drought of sorts.

AdventureSerum
11th October 2007, 05:46 PM
*cough* *cough* Ahem...

SONIC IS IN BRAWL! SONIC! IS IN! BRAWL! SONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIC!!!

Blademaster
11th October 2007, 07:39 PM
Personally, I love Sonic and thus am literally salivating at the prospect of spin-dashing the hell out of Mario.

Oh, it's on now.

Drago
11th October 2007, 09:47 PM
Dude, I hate Sonic, don't cry about it, everyone their own opinion mkay?
Not crying homey, just disagreeing. Not allowed to do that? A catalyst for conversation, you see.

Random thoughts now...
Not quite as thrilled with Sonic's specials; the across and down one both seem kinda samey, though I'm still interested to see how much the lack of a jump in the Spin Charge differentiates them.

Midna's chances aren't that great, seeing how there's a very, very loose implication that she's already present at the Bridge of Elden, bringing the pieces back as they're destroyed.

Anyone fancy guessing the final character count? I had originally assumed in the ballpark of 40, and still don't feel too inclined to stray from that number.

I'm excited to see how they'll improve Mewtwo, if he does indeed return. I was really pleased with his inclusion in Melee when I first heard about it, though the fact that he flounders about the bottom tiers of professional play doesn't really suit him.

Falco should be easy to de-clone, thanks to Assault. Now he's got a whole slew of weapons at his disposal, and with Fox's Final Smash as the Landmaster, an Arwing for Falco seems pretty logical. If Falco gets the chop in favour of Krystal, I will NOT be a happy camper.

The Japanese site has music from DS Cooking (http://www.smashbros.com/jp/characters/kirby.html#3rd) during Kirby's Final Smash. I really like it, and hope that it'll be included in the English version as well.

Phoenixsong
11th October 2007, 10:15 PM
40 is around what I was thinking, yeah. We're at 22 or so now, I think, and there are still several very likely returns that we haven't heard about yet: Captain Falcon *sob*, for example, or Sheik... yeah. Then there's still plenty of opportunities for the fanservice characters new characters: Lucario and Felix are both highly requested, and if memory serves King Dedede and Krystal are both very popular choices (too bad NSider went down, can't go check any more), although Meta Knight probably hurts Dedede's chances somewhat. Then there are the hotly debated clones; I'm still guesstimating here, but I think we might be able to count on at least half of them coming back, if not more, depending on moveset changes and stuff. Let's see, there were about six or so clones (not counting Luigi because there's no WAY he isn't coming back)... and lastly we have the possibility of more third-party inclusions. Obviously they're not going to dominate the roster, but I get the impression that they won't just stop at Snake and Sonic. I personally think it's pretty likely that another Sonic character and at least one other character from a third-party franchise like Kratos I'm not kidding ARGH will be included. So, using those approximations, we have

The 22 confirmed characters + about 7 returning non-clones (including Luigi) + about 3 returning clones, minimum + at least another 4 new characters + at least 2 more third-parties

That's 22+7+3+4+2=38.

Still all guesswork, and it doesn't factor in things like whether Ness will return, but oh, well. As close to an educated guess as I can get right now.

All I can say is that I hope they balance out the characters. That's one of the things I hate about games like this (and one of the things I hate about Pokémon, frankly): imbalanced characters. The game simply isn't fun when everyone uses the same five characters because "the others suck". Dammit, if I like Mewtwo in SSB, why can't I use him in competitive play as well as casual?

EDIT: Official announcement about the new (bad) release date is up, as well as yet another reason that I'm upset about never having left the East Coast in my life. Los Angelans, I hate you all. Moving on.

Much love for the new Snapshot mode, I have to say. You can now take screenies at any time, not just a silly camera mode, and since they're on the SD card you can move them around and stuff. I'm *hoping* that it saves them using a normal image extension like jpg or png so that we can move them to our computers and stuff.

Chris 2.1
12th October 2007, 07:11 AM
I guess Pichu, Dr Mario and maybe even Young Link will be omitted from Brawl. I think we will get two more Pokemon in the fray; we had 4 in Melee (Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo) and in Brawl thus far we have Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer. I expect one more for definite, with the possibility of a fourth.

I think there may be one or two more 'third-party' characters. Snake and Sonic don't really excite me that much tbh.

Heald
12th October 2007, 11:27 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but...

Click here for Sonic vs. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7wBEVq2Tlk)

Video of game dev playing as Link versus a comp-controlled Sonic.

I know he was talking at the same time and trying to demonstrate the game rather than try and play properly but the action seems kind of sloppy. Also, the AI controlling Sonic didn't seem too great until the end, but hopefully it was a low-level comp, and with any luck the AI in the final build will be fantastic.

It also looks confirmed that Sonic's Final Smash is Super Sonic, in which he becomes invincible and is able to fly around the screen at will dishing out the hurt. All the more reason to eagerly anticipate this game's release.

Starry Might
12th October 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm baaaaaaack!

And now, my comments on this week's updates...

Zero Suit Samus: Special Moves - Not bad...man, I hope she'll be playable outside of her Final Smash in the way I proposed earlier (i.e. hold down a button as the match loads, a la Zelda/Shiek in "Melee") - if she is, she's DEFINITELY joining my "Brawl" posse!

WarioWare: Ashley’s Theme - I haven't listened to any of the music on the site (I want it to be a surprise), and this is no exception.

Kirby: Final Smash - Well, it is indeed the cooking thing he was doing in the original trailer!

Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 Movie - Flippin' sweet (as Napoleon Dynamite would say)!

Sonic - WHOA! They did put him in! :eek:

I think all those people who were tricked by "EGM's" April Fools 2002 joke will be happy they'll get to play as him in a "Smash" game after all, don't you? ;)

Taking Snapshots - Nice! No need to hook up my Wii (if I had one) to the computer to take screenshots!

New Launch and E for All - FEBRUARY 10TH?! :cry:

Hopefully, though, this means they'll have time to cram more goodies and characters into it! :D

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but...

Click here for Sonic vs. Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7wBEVq2Tlk)
*WATCHES VIDEO*

Cool! :lemoncool:

They have a bunch of other "SSBB" demo videos on there, too (under "Related")! I'm gonna watch them now. :)

Drago
12th October 2007, 06:35 PM
I don't think there's too much to worry about from that vid... It seemed more of a case about the game dev kinda dawdling around at his own pace than the gameplay running at a sloppy pace.

Yeah, I know I've constantly been saying good stuff as though I'm a rabid fanboy, but personally, I can't quite get a feel for how the game flows until I play it myself, or see some Smash experts have a play around with it. The basic gyst I've got is that it's somewhere in the middle of the prior two Smashes, a little slower than Melee, and with more of the impact attacks had in the original Smash.
One thing I've seen in the IGN videos that I like is that they've brought back the slowdown a little during Samus' Screw Attack. I loved that in the original, really made the attack feel cooler.

And ooh, confirmation of the return of player entrances!

Phoenixsong
12th October 2007, 07:54 PM
Clicking around on YouTube brings up this video about who is and who might be in... I lol'd. He suggested Tingle. Tingle, of all people. WTH. Smash Ball gives him extra Kooloo-Limpah! power!

There was also a conspicuous lack of Felix, so of course he fails ;)

Oh, and some of our favorite items are coming back, nyah. Beam Sword, it looks like, even though it's blue this time... Party Ball... Homerun Bat, whoo! And he said something about special animations for each character using the bat? Hm. And the way to get the Smash Ball looks interesting. You actually have to attack it a few times to get it. I like that; this way if you release one and its trajectory takes it away from you and towards an opponent, they don't necessarily automatically get it just because your luck sucked. The number of times I've missed out on Starmen just because they bounced the wrong way...

Jeff
16th October 2007, 07:48 AM
Some pretty cool additions to Homerun Contest announced today. I'm really liking the wall thing. I can't count how many times I knocked Sandbag off prematurely. It does take away the fun of finding the perfect way to rack up damage while keeping it in place, but it also helps any character get a good distance. And there's also a two-player version. I wonder how many other one-player modes will be given the two-player treatment.

Chris 2.1
16th October 2007, 05:34 PM
Co-op multi-man-melee would be awesome.

AdventureSerum
17th October 2007, 04:14 PM
Do you ever notice how in ALL the 3D games, Meowth is always standing up? He's not supposed to do that!

The Blue Avenger
17th October 2007, 04:25 PM
Meowth has been pictured standing in every mainstream Pokemon game except for Red and Blue.

Dark Scizor
17th October 2007, 06:14 PM
That's because they haven't had their own game in years.

I'm betting that Super Sonic is Sonic's final smash. I really need a Wii now! I can't stand the fact that I won't be able to play one of the hottest games of the year!
It is, it's in one of the videos on the Smash Bros Dojo. All you see is Supersonic flying about and doing damage. It looks like one of the more boring Final Smashes.

Jeff
17th October 2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqm5WFgPw34

I think that's the video you mean. Actually, I think you control Sonic during his final smash, makes for a pretty interesting one IMO. The video also shows off some other things that haven't been revealed at the Dojo. Makes me exited to see what we'll find out tomorrow.

Dark Scizor
18th October 2007, 01:53 PM
Actually, I think you control Sonic during his final smash, makes for a pretty interesting one IMO.
That's why I think it looks boring, just flying around and KOing characters, really doesn't seem that exciting.

Starry Might
19th October 2007, 02:36 PM
The only knock against Sonic is that he hasn't had a good game in years, but I say so what? Neither has Fox, Pit or the Ice Climbers.That's because they haven't had their own game in years.
Actually, according to "Nintendo Power", there WAS a second "Kid Icarus" game for the Game Boy, and it was good.

Anyways...

New Pork City - Yay, another monster-sized stage! (Hyrule Temple is one of my favorites in "Melee".)

(Incidentally, I wondered if the stage was "Earthbound/Mother"-related before I clicked the link...I wound up being right! :D)

STADIUM: Home-Run Contest - Nice (even though I still have trouble hitting the Bag far enough to unlock every single thing related to it). Maybe the new shield will make things much easier in "Brawl".

How to use the Wii Remote - I've seen videos of people using it to play "Brawl" and explaining it. Personally, I'll be using a GameCube controller.

Meowth - i'm on yur stage, coinin ur buttz! (LOL)

Yay for the return of Meowth as a Pokeball Pokeball!

Little Mac - I've read about this Assist Trophy in a 1UP preview, but I was picturing him to be 2D (like the "Excitebike", Lakitu, and "Advance Wars" ATs).

Peach: Final Smash - I've already seen this in a video, but now I know for sure what's going on. Personally, I was hoping it'd be her Rage emotion from "Super Princess Peach", but what they actually did is fine. :)

*GOES OFF TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY NEW "BRAWL" VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE*

AdventureSerum
19th October 2007, 05:54 PM
Hahaha! Peach looks posessed!

Drago
19th October 2007, 06:18 PM
That's because they haven't had their own game in years.
Minor digression, but have you ever played the IC game? Certainly doesn't wow me, and it didn't make the Ice Climbers 'iconic' in my eyes.

It is, it's in one of the videos on the Smash Bros Dojo. All you see is Supersonic flying about and doing damage. It looks like one of the more boring Final Smashes.
Also makes it appear to be very similar to Pikachu's Volt Tackle. I suppose the difference being that Pikachu's electric ball is slower, larger and does more damage?

Bummed by this week's updates? Me too. However, that doesn't mean that we're devoid of some supah schweet material... Some Subspace Emissary footage!
DK and Diddy's stage. (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26643.html) If you're going to watch just one, I recommend this be it!! The intro makes me dance giddily in the street, you see.
Pit layin' the smacketh down. (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26651.html) Finds a buddy along the way to help him out.
What happens to the princess you don't save from Petey? (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26686.html)
Atop the Halberd (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26661.html).
Ooh, and a little gameplay (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26667.html) vid. Don't get too excited, the computers are on a pitiful level...

Jeff
21st October 2007, 10:27 AM
Nintendo World Report just ran some impressions (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=14648) of the game and they mentioned a few things that haven't been revealed at the dojo yet. One thing I found interesting is that my theory about Zero Suit Samus' final smash was right, she does turn back into regular Samus after using it. Also it turns out Sonic and Pikachu pretty much have the same final smash (as has been suspected). Also, after reading that, the banana peel actually sounds pretty cool.

Alucard
21st October 2007, 01:07 PM
Link can go bad-ass as Shadow Link with bright red eyes.

I know who i'll be playing and mastering.

Starry Might
21st October 2007, 05:58 PM
Nintendo World Report just ran some impressions (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=14648) of the game and they mentioned a few things that haven't been revealed at the dojo yet. One thing I found interesting is that my theory about Zero Suit Samus' final smash was right, she does turn back into regular Samus after using it. Also it turns out Sonic and Pikachu pretty much have the same final smash (as has been suspected). Also, after reading that, the banana peel actually sounds pretty cool.
I've read the link in your post earlier today...interesting read, but I noticed at least one blatant mistake in it:

Also, Peach has added a tennis racket to complement her frying pan attack.
Errrrm...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/1002/smash.html

Oh, and what they said about Ike...that's not quite the impression I personally got from the videos I've seen.

Anyhoo, if you wanna see some great "SSBB" videos on YouTube, check out what this guy named AsylumSmash has posted!:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AsylumSmash
(I hope this isn't considered advertising... :lookout:)

ssj4supernerd
22nd October 2007, 09:35 AM
PictoChat stage is AWESOME! Really, it's so damn original, I honestly at first thought it was a function. xD

AdventureSerum
22nd October 2007, 05:34 PM
You know what would be really cool? If you could hook up your own DS to the Wii and use your very own Pictochat doodles!

Chris 2.1
25th October 2007, 05:47 AM
TBA is going to be happy ... hehe (http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/index.html)

Heald
25th October 2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah, another Kirby character...can't say I've ever played much of the Kirby series, but I'll probably give the new characters a try.

Still waiting on Waluigi Sakurai...make it happen.

The Blue Avenger
25th October 2007, 07:36 AM
TBA is going to be happy ... hehe (http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/index.html)

Hell effing yeah.

Starry Might
26th October 2007, 02:18 PM
PictoChat stage is AWESOME! Really, it's so damn original, I honestly at first thought it was a function. xD
Yeah, I was looking at an article about "Unreal Tournament 3" (I think) on Monday, and on the sidelines of the site, I saw the headline "Pictochat Invades Brawl". I assumed it was a function, too!

But, then again, my Dad (who looked at the site before me) told me that he saw a really crazy stage, but I wouldn't let him spoil it.

As for the other stuff:

Donkey Kong Makes His Stand - I know there's footage of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong's part of the Subspace Emissary mode, but I haven't watched it.

By "a very familiar hand", though...do they mean Master Hand?! Hey, it's not "Super Smash Bros." without the Master Hand...

STADIUM: Target Smash! - ...And it's not "Super Smash Bros." without breaking the Targets either, huh? ;) (BTW, the Replay function they announced in the same article sounds cool, too!)

King Dedede - My Dad told me there was a new character at the Dojo, too, but he didn't spoil it for me...he just gave me a couple of hints. I was wondering who it would be, and while I was wondering about this, "King Dedede" actually popped into my brain at some point.

Looks like I was right there! :D

Heald
29th October 2007, 07:40 AM
Big news guys - they're putting a Stage Creator in the game (http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/index.html).

Big news for people like me who absolutely love this kind of stuff. Ever since Micro Machines 96 on the Sega Mega Drive had track-building options, I've been hooked on making insane courses and stages.

Judging from the screenshots, it looks quite detailed and seems that it is both easy enough for beginners to knock up a stage and for perfectionists like myself to make a really decent stage.

Also, judging from the shots they've put up, there are Donkey Kong-style ladders and Sonic-style spikes. Is this some sort of way of telling us that there will be a classic arcade Donkey Kong stage on the way, and maybe Sonic's stage will feature menacing spikes? Either wait, I can hardly wait for the next updates.

Drago
29th October 2007, 08:17 AM
For some reason, I came into this topic specifically to ask what you thought, Heald. Dunno why, just thought you'd dig it.

Anyway, though the level hazards will likely be largely static, this is abso-f'in-lutely fantastic. I love this update, it's really gotten me pumped.

Oh and also, I think the DK-ladders were in the Jungle Falls level, which may shoot down the idea of a classic DK arcade stage. Just maybe, though.

EDIT: DKC2's Bramble Blast music confirmed for Brawl. HELL F'IN YES.

Blademaster
29th October 2007, 12:42 PM
That music still creeps me out to this day...

Building my own stages, huh? Sakurai better be careful - the rate Brawl is going, he may just run out of ideas for the next game! :o

AdventureSerum
29th October 2007, 04:15 PM
S-stage... Creator?!

I'm in heaven already. :3

PNT510
29th October 2007, 06:37 PM
I like map editors, not because I can make my own maps, but because there are some people out there who are way more creative than me who I'm sure will post their awesome maps online for me to steal.

Jeff
30th October 2007, 08:34 AM
Hopefully, Nintendo will pick the really good ones to post as the "stage of the day", and we'll be able to save the ones we really like.

Even if there isn't a classic DK stage, it probably wouldn't be too hard to create something similar.

Starry Might
2nd November 2007, 02:32 PM
Big news guys - they're putting a Stage Creator in the game (http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/index.html).
I already knew this, since I saw it on Digg with my Dad Monday night...but I didn't look at the actual update 'til today. It looks like something I'd have a lot of fun with!

BTW, did anyone else besides me think of the old game "Lode Runner" when they saw Mario climbing the ladder in one shot and the "Fearsome Ruins" stage in another shot?

Classic - Yay for Classic mode returning! (I figured that it would likely return, though - it wouldn't be "Super Smash Bros." without it!)

ÜBERBOO at the apparent disappearance of the unique side-by-side poses pre-match, though...here's Marth's left-hand Classic Mode pose in "Melee" as an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.undergroundnotes.com/wkett/starrymightspics/ssbm-classicmode-marth(leftside).jpg

Those were awesome, IMHO. (*SIGHS*)

The Summit - The Ice Climbers' new stage sounds crazy awesome! Why? It eventually breaks off of the top of the mountain and slides into the ocean! :lol: :waycool:

Meta Knight: Final Smash - Not bad.

"Heh heh heh. I got it."

Ah, you gotta love Sakurai's unique way with words. :D

On-Screen Appearances - I already knew about this thanks to the videos on YouTube, but I'm glad they're back...that was a really neat thing about the original "Super Smash Bros." that was sorely missed in "Melee".

Drago
5th November 2007, 01:19 AM
Today's video (http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/gamemode/modea/modea09.html) was pretty cool...
Fox just totally owned Rayquaza. The only thing I would prefer to see is at least a little bit of dialogue from Fox. I mean, he's like one of the only Nintendo characters who's regularly speaking, hopefully he'll have something to say at some point. Not likely he's gonna yak with Diddy anyhow, I guess.

EDIT: Oh, and Rayquaza is way too powerful to just take that one lying down. A new boss character semi-confirmed?

AdventureSerum
5th November 2007, 06:59 PM
Oh boy, the Maste-

Nevermind, it's just Rayquaza. False alarm.

Wait, what's Rayquaza doing coming out of the water?! Shouldn't it come out of the sky or clouds or something?

The Blue Avenger
5th November 2007, 08:21 PM
Much in the same way that an 800-pound gorilla can sit anywhere it likes, Rayquaza can be anywhere it wants to be.

Drago
5th November 2007, 09:00 PM
Much in the same way that an 800-pound gorilla can sit anywhere it likes, Rayquaza can be anywhere it wants to be.
Hypotenuse Man has just won this thread. Thank you all for playing.

...On an unrelated note, anyone care to fathom a guess as to how a Rayquaza boss battle would play out? I'd imagine it'd swoop in from all over the screen, causing all sorts of mischief, err, chaos.

Chris 2.1
6th November 2007, 05:09 AM
I guess he'd work like Master Hand....maybe? In todays update, what is that little clock item that falls out the Party Ball? I was just thinking I'd love an item that either slows down or speeds up the opponents, so for a few moments they are in slow-mo or something. That'd be cool.

Blademaster
6th November 2007, 01:54 PM
Hypotenuse Man has just won this thread. Thank you all for playing.

That's the second time he's done so. The rest of us better quit and go home while we still have the chance...

...On an unrelated note, anyone care to fathom a guess as to how a Rayquaza boss battle would play out? I'd imagine it'd swoop in from all over the screen, causing all sorts of mischief, err, chaos.

I doubt it'd happen, but a combination of the traditional Pokemon battle engine from the handheld games combined with Smash Bros.'s fighting system would be awesome. Just imagine it:

RAYQUAZA used FLY!
(Rayquaza swoops in at your character; at the last second, you press Z or whatever and creates your shield, lessening the attack's damage considerably [Yes, for this battle, both the boss AND you, the player, have HP.])
MARIO used FIREBALL!
(you freely control your character [in this case Mario, of course ;)] for a few seconds, using B or whatever to shoot fireballs at Rayquaza and inflict some damage)

Then, out of nowhere, a Super Smash item falls onto the field and Rayquaza gets it.

RAYQUAZA uses SUPER SMASH!
SUPER SMASH activated RAYQUAZA's SUPER SMASH ATTACK!
RAYQUAZA uses DRACO METEOR!
(Rayquaza rears up and blasts flaming meteor after flaming meteor from its mouth, blowing your shield up and knocking you into the stratosphere)
RAYQUAZA has just PWNED YOU!

...OK, maybe not. But hey, it's fun to dream... :sweat2:

Starry Might
9th November 2007, 02:47 PM
Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem Theme -
In Japan, the lyrics used in commercials are quite famous ("♪If danger approaches, retreat helter-skelter!"), but in taking it worldwide, I’ve reflected on the Fire Emblem world and done the lyrics in Latin.
LOL, AWESOME. :lol:

Anyways, I didn't listen to the song, but I did read the translated Latin lyrics.

Fox’s Misfortune - I didn't watch the video, but it sounds neat from what you said.

Items from Previous Installments - I've seen at least most of these items in videos.

Gray Fox - My Dad told me this morning that there was a new Assist Trophy...he didn't tell me who it was at my request, but he did hint it had something to do with Snake. :)

Well, shoot! If the "Metal Gear Solid" franchise has an Assist Trophy, I'll bet "Sonic" will have an Assist Trophy, too...I nominate Amy Rose and her trademark hammer! :dance:

Lucas: Special Moves -
There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.
UH-OH...this doesn't look very good for people who like Ness!! :eek: (But then again, as I've pointed out before, Lucas WAS originally supposed to replace him in "Melee"...) Lucas has some different regular attacks, and a different basic B move, though.

Norfair - I've already seen this stage in YouTube videos. I didn't know there was a safe haven that popped up when the lava wall does, though!

Anyways, I'd like to close this post with a couple of ideas for customizing your game that I haven't gotten around to sharing until now...

Smashville Constellations and Such: I got this idea from the first Excitebike Assist Trophy screenshot...what if "SSBB" had connectivity with "Animal Crossing: Wild World" that lets you upload any constellations you've made and/or acquired from visiting other towns so that they appear in the stage at night?!

And let's not stop there...what if you could upload your player character(s) and villagers to "Brawl" so that they'd appear in the background instead of just random ones? Sweet!

Custom Character Colors: The regular characters in "Soul Calibur 3" had two outfits with two color schemes - default and Custom. There was an option that let you recolor the Custom colors. What if "SSBB" let you cook up some custom color schemes that would appear in addition to the characters' regular costumes? Awesome, huh?

Dark Scizor
9th November 2007, 02:53 PM
Gray Fox - My Dad told me this morning that there was a new Assist Trophy...he didn't tell me who it was at my request, but he did hint it had something to do with Snake. :)

It sounds like you have the best dad ever.

SupremeChampion
11th November 2007, 06:57 PM
haha yea it does. but yea, i've been following these updates closely, and i could not be more excited about the next installment coming out. what really excites me is that they're breaking down and putting on-line play into affect. i know there won't be a ranking system, but still, on-line play is gonna rock.

also, i know i'm joining this topic waaay late, but has there been any speculation as to what the remaining super smash moves would be? i'm actually really interested in seeing what zelda's move is, because i really have like no good guess. the others, i think i can take a good guess, like for snake it would be him calling a metal gear or something that would attack for a short while, just take everyone on screen out, i dunno. and thoughts here?

~The Italian Stallion

AdventureSerum
13th November 2007, 07:43 PM
"Oh. A Fairy."

HAHAHA!

Phoenixsong
13th November 2007, 09:22 PM
Snake's taunt is funny. I bet it would be funnier if I actually played MGS. I still don't get the box; it seems so silly. Ah, well.

Now that you mention Soul Calibur, Lloyd from ToS is going to be in the Wii version (are they doing different versions for different systems again?). I dunno how I feel about that. On the one hand, whoot, he's in an awesome fighting game! On the other hand, I think it lowers the chances of a Tales appearance in an even more awesome fighting game, which is not whoot. I am torn.

...Of course, Lloyd himself is better suited for the environment of SC because of the double katana thing... I said it before, how would he use items in Brawl? But he's also the main character, so... I mean... If he's not in, they probably won't bother with anyone else. Argh. Torn, torn, torntorntorntorn!

...whatever. I'm still getting both.