PDA

View Full Version : The TPM Battling League: Tournament Director Applications

mr_pikachu
15th June 2007, 01:31 AM
The TPM Battling League
Tournament Director Applications

Admin Approved by Chris
Commissioner: mr_pikachu

This topic is for members of the TPMBL to apply for a position as a Tournament Director.

The TPMBL is looking for new Tournament Directors to help run the league! This is an open call for new Tournament Directors. All that is required from applicants is that you are a member of the TPMBL. (If you aren’t, you can register for the league here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15710).)

Selected applicants will gain the status of C-rank Tournament Directors, and will serve as Assistant Tournament Directors for one or two tournaments - these will serve as “training.” All applicants who avoid major problems (such as abuse of power, cheating, etc.) will then be promoted to B-rank.

The deadline for applications is June 30, 2007 at 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time. If you want to help the TPMBL succeed, we’d love to have you as a Tournament Director!

We do need you to answer a few questions in your application. Just post your responses in this thread. You don’t necessarily have to answer all of them… but it would be nice.

1. What is your TPM Username?
2. What is your TPMBL Username?
3. When did you register for TPM?
4. What is your real name? (Last name not required.)
5. Do you have any previous battling experience, or have you participated in any other competitions?
6. Do you have any managing experience, in competition or otherwise?
7. Why do you want to be a TD (Tournament Director)?
8. What personal strengths do you think would make you a good TD?
9. What personal faults might hurt you as a TD?
10. What kinds of tournaments would you like to direct?
11. How do you think the TPMBL could be improved, if at all?
12. Do you have any additional comments?

Here’s an example of how an application post might look.

1. mr_pikachu
2. mr_pikachu
3. September 30, 2002
4. Brian
5. I haven’t battled with the video games, but I do play in Pokemon TCG tournaments.
6. I’ve directed lots of TCG tournaments, and I also manage my dormitory’s website at college.
7. I just like games, and I want to help the league grow.
8. I have a lot of experience with competition, so I’ve gotten pretty good at resolving any conflicts that might occur.
9. I sometimes get a little obsessed with rules and regulations, which keeps tournaments from running smoothly.
10. I’d like to direct pretty typical tournaments, like those using Pokemon at levels 50 and 100 with standard clauses (like Sleep Clause, Legendary Clause, etc). I’m not as excited about themed tournaments, no-holds-barred tournaments, and tournaments with unusual clauses. But I’d be willing to direct both Standard and Championship Tournaments.
11. I think that the TPMBL would be better if some tournaments were held in a single day, with each round lasting a few hours.
12. I hope to help the TPMBL in the future!

See? It’s as simple as that! You’ve got more than two weeks, so that’s plenty of time to put a post together. If you’d like to be a part of the TPMBL staff, let us know!

Dark-San
15th June 2007, 03:28 AM

Dark-San.

DarkSan.

I don't exactly remember the date since it was like seven years ago? It was around the same time when I decided to pick up playing Pokemon TCG. Anyway forget about the date you see over at my profile. The date which I joined was much earlier than that.

Is this required? *shrugs* Just me Meng! Most of the member known me by that name, so it is much easier that way.

5. Do you have any previous battling experience, or have you participated in any other competitions?

Battling experience? I have played a couple of Wifi matches but that is all >.<" But if you are talking about trading card tournaments, I have multiple experience in both Pokemon TCG and Yu Gi Oh tournaments. My previous Pokemon tournament ranking went as high as sixth nation- wide and as for Yu Gi Oh, I was national champion for a period and even almost went over to participate in the Worlds until the military denied me an opportunity to participate overseas.

Managing experience? I have run a couple of mini tournament that uses the knockout system, unlike the swiss round, it is a much faster run tournament without any hassle. But like I say, I would not count them as experience since it is by any means different from the Swiss Round system we used here.

'Cause noone else applied for it when I clicked onto this topic. Besides I think Brian's workload is heavy enough and since I have sometime left over in my vacation, why don't I fullly utilise it the time to run some competition. And besides, I have a national dex full of basic Pokemons. So arranging prizes for me would be as easy as ABC.

*shrugs* I am just an ordinary member around here. I would be one of those people whom you can talk easily too. Hmm, I can't think of others now. >.<

Try and be polite when you talk to me, I don't like nasty comments and nasty replies. And if you happened to cornered me too much, you would forced me to get nasty to you. I don't usually flare my temper around but if forced too, I would.

Besides the level 50s, I would like to arrange for some weird tournaments like battle of the Eevees, Pokemon types battle where we restrict Pokemons in each team to a certain type or even Double Team battles. A legendary battle where we used legendary pokemons might be cool too.

A single day tournament is perhaps unlikely. Taking into account that we have members from all over the world, so timezone is problem. However the league would be run better if the members would to take full initiative be online during battles and report the results back to the judge promptly. A shorter tournament could only be possible if the all members would do it.

We could run articles on doing up a tournament winning tutorials. That would probably help those newcomers.

Crazy Elf Boy
16th June 2007, 04:54 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1: Crazy Elf Boy

2: Crazy Elf Boy

3: 26th May 2006

4: Steven

5: I am mainly a casual pokemon battler, battling my friends and doing teams for the battle frontier. I used to play Pokemon TCG a lot, but now I am more into Magic the Gathering (which I am quite good at) I play these tournaments about once a month.

6: I have managed a few team groups for impromtue acting performances (Tournament of Minds). I like to set up the odd 16 player Halo party everynow and again. I organize raids and group formations in the Online game World of Warcraft.

7: Because I have an interest in Pokemon battling and I enjoy giving away stuff, also I have lots of spare time on my hands so I want to d something with it

8: I really don't have any great strengths only that I have 383/386 pokemon from Emerald that could be used for prizes

9: I really can't think of anything that would impede my duties as a TD director, other then I sometimes mispell really easy words.

10: I would like to hold battles like with pokemon that are considered useless (eg Caterpie and Magikarp), Battles where the obeject is to get the opponents health down not by using direct attacks but by using status inducing moves. Maybe battles involving only pokemon owned by gymleaders in the games. Legendary Battles, Starter pokemon Battles.

11: None that I can think of, I like TPMBL the way that it is.

12: Nothing really

Phoenixsong
17th June 2007, 08:14 PM

Phoenixsong.

See previous answer.

I... don't remember? *checks profile* Oh, yeah, uh, April 9th, 2003. I was actually a member before that on the various boards TPM has gone through... even waaaay back in the days of ezboard and UBB before that. Back when the site was up. So yeah.

God.

No, seriously.

You can call me Kyra, though.

Well, I know people who are WAY better at these sort of things than I am, but I like to consider myself a player of at least intermediate skill at most of the stuff I do. I've played Pokémon games competitively, both casually and in last year's Journey Across America tournament (I made it to the national level and went up to New York for that party and all). Back when the Pokémon TCG was more popular (and back before the Neo sets came out... MAN these newfangled things confuse me. Gimme good ol' Base Blastoise and Jungle Scyther any day.) I played almost weekly in tournaments at a local game shop, but they stopped holding those and went out of business, so I haven't played since then. I also play Yu-Gi-Oh! (briefly using the online game, which annoyed me, and now I have the new DS game so I can play over Wi-Fi) and Magic the Gathering, but I've never been in any actual tournaments or anything. Even if there were any around, I'd be eaten alive by all the forty year-old dudes.

Sometimes I take charge of random stuff. Not much. I am, however, the founder and one of the heads of the DP League over at TCoD forums.

...Because it's something to do? I don't know... it sounds appealing. And easy. Since I'm going off to college in two short months, easy is a *very* good thing for me right now. Also, I'd like to help out around here anyway.

I'm fair, yeah... uh... um... generally pretty good with rules... that's all I can think of right now.

I'm as lazy as a roadkill toad, to tell you the truth. I tend to procrastinate or forget things if someone doesn't hit me with something. If I'm understanding the job correctly, that shouldn't be as much of a problem here as it is in other places, and I'm taking time off from some other stuff I do online. So, yeah... hopefully I won't up and forget that I'm in the middle of handling a tourney.

Name it. I'm fine with traditional tournaments of any scope, standard, championship, whatever. And, Brian, since you don't seem interested in "themed" matches, I'm more than willing to step up to those. In fact, once DP comes out in Europe and I can really get the TCoD League into full swing, I'm going to be setting up Gym Leaders with themed teams and such... that kind of thing really appeals to me.

Not much has really happened as of yet, so it's hard to say if there are any glaring problems. I suppose tournaments could move a bit faster... moreover, though, I'd like to see more signups. Since the conditions for each match and therefore the preparations people need to make vary, it's understandable that not everyone will be able to participate in everything, but perhaps there's some way to get more people into the tournaments.

Uh... not so much. Everything seems pretty hunky-dory to me.

mr_pikachu
2nd July 2007, 02:54 AM
Okay, the application period is over. I'll be going through these and contacting selected applicants by PM. Thanks, everyone!