PDA

View Full Version : Kadabra or haunter?!

Weasel Overlord
22nd June 2007, 08:14 PM
Okay, I need room for a flyer on my team. At the moment, I have both Kadabra and Haunter (soon to be evolved as soon as I get home). I am REALLY stuck on which one to get rid of.

Gengar: I love the annoyance factor of a good Gengar. Sleep+Dream Eater is ace. Good Special Attack, but not as much as Alakazam, I don't think. Crappy defence, but so has Alakazam.

Alakazam: Insane special attack, crap defence. As usual. But there's Recover, which matches Dream Eater, only it doesn't hinder the enemy as well.

ARGH! I can't decide!

Also: For my water type, I'm going with either Floatzel or Vaporeon. Once again, my mind is in two halves.

They both learn an ice move, although Ice Fang has a chance of flinching and (I think) more power.

Vaporeon has a CRAPLOAD of HP. Floatzel... does not. Nor does it have defence, although I have been EV training.

Floatzel has infinitely superior speed, as well as the bonus of Crunch, which is handy against MANY enemies.

Please help me, people-who-are-better-at-this-than-me! I will be eternally grateful!

And don't ask me questions about tanks and whatnot. I don't use sweepers, tanks, annoyers or any of that malarky.

Astarin
22nd June 2007, 11:32 PM
Re: Kadabra versus Haunter

Could you post who is on the rest of your team? That'd make a big difference to me; I'd try to use whoever gives you more type advantages, reduces type weaknesses, etc.

And... I can't comment on Floatzel. I honestly haven't touched the Buizel/Floatzel line at all. Sorry :(

Perfect Chaos
23rd June 2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah, for the Kadabra vs. Haunter debate, by looking at the rest of you team, we'll be able to give you a more informed decision about what's best.

As for Vaporeon vs. Floatzel, I would go with Vaporeon. It has superior HP, Sp. Atk and Sp. Def. (which it needs since its weaknesses are Electric and Grass). A good moveset would be:

Vaporeon@Leftovers
"Water Absorb"
Modest (-Atk, +Sp. Atk)/Calm (-Atk, +Sp. Def)/Bold (-Atk, +Def)

Surf
Ice Beam/Substitute/Acid Armor/Wish
Substitute/Acid Armor/Wish
Baton Pass

Vaporeon is really good at Baton Passing. You can set up a good Wishpasser with it pretty easily. I suck with EV's and IV's so I'll let someone else handle those. Basically you can do alot with Vaporeon because it can be a Special Sweeper, but also a Tank and Hazer as well. Take your pick

-Sean

Weasel Overlord
23rd June 2007, 05:31 AM
Aaah yes, I forgot about that. *slaps head* Okay, team is as such;

Ponyta lv.30 (gonna be replaced with Growlithe as soon as I get home today :D )
Flash Fire
Mild

Take Down
Stomp
Fire Spin
Ember

-I HATE Ponyta.

Luxray lv.38
Intimidate
Hasty

Swagger
Spark
Charge
Crunch

-I LOVE my Luxray.

Torterra lv.35
Overgrow
Lonely

Earthquake
Bite
Mega Drain
Razor Leaf

-Same again, I really like Torterra.

Since we're at it, I usually use the normal Flamethrower/Extremespeed/Fire Blast/Take Down Arcanine moveset, cos I am boring. Any suggestions?

For my flyer, I'm looking at a Honchkrow.

Mega Horny
23rd June 2007, 12:00 PM
The real question hear is...Haunter, or Hauntoim? Alakazam might be good, since you already have a flyer, plus the majority of your team is way too slow to sweep effectively.

Perfect Chaos
23rd June 2007, 03:32 PM
So, from what I can tell now, you're future competetive team would be:

Arcanine
Luxray
Torterra
Vaporeon
Honchkrow
Alakazam/Gengar

Let's check for weaknesses:

2x Ground (Arcanine, Luxray)
2x Rock (Arcanine, Honchkrow)
2x Ice (Torterra, Honchkrow)
2x Electric (Vaporeon, Honchkrow)

Its pretty balanced out, but all you're 2x weaknesses are with types that are commonly used in competitive battling. My suggestion would be to drop Arcanine and/or Honchkrow for a Ground-type (or mixed with Rock as well) along with maybe a Fighter.

EDIT: Time for movesets!

Arcanine@Petaya Berry/Leftovers
Intimidate; Modest (-Atk, +Sp. Atk)

Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Heat Wave
Crunch

You could also go Physical with him:

@Leftovers
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Crunch
Extremespeed

Luxray@Leftovers
Thunder Fang
Ice Fang
Crunch
Thunder Wave

-Same set mine would have

Torterra@Leftovers
Overgrow; Impish (-Sp. Atk, +Def)

Earthquake
Wood Hammer/Stone Edge
Stealth Rock/Stone Edge
Leech Seed

-Physical wall plus Stealth Rock support

Vaporeon
See previous post

Honchkrow@Leftovers
Super Luck; Adamant (-Sp. Atk, +Atk)

Night Slash
Drill Peck/Aerial Ace
Confuse Ray
???

-Not so sure about this one

And when you decide between Alakazam and Gengar I'll give a moveset

Weasel Overlord
25th June 2007, 10:11 AM
Well damn, I got a Careful Growlithe from my egg. *breeds a new one*

I've decided on Alakazam, by the way. ^_^ Managed to get them evolved last night, and her stats are infinitely better than Gengars, so.

Thanks for all the help you guys! Very, um... helpful! :D

Perfect Chaos
26th June 2007, 12:05 PM
Oh yeah, for the Physical Arcanine, obviously you would go with Adamant for the nature.

Hmm...Alakazam eh?

Alakazam@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Modest (-Atk, +Sp. Atk); Synchronize

Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Recover

-Pretty obvious set-up. Psychic for crazy STAB, Focus Blast (while inaccurate) helps against Dark-types, and Shadow Ball for other Psychics and Ghosts. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are there just for versatillity (I would go with Energy Ball or Recover, cause I don't know how good Grass Knot is). I'd have to say pretty standard set for him. Just watch out for Focus Blast and how inaccurate it is.

Houndoom_Lover
26th June 2007, 04:33 PM
Gangar looks cooler, so there for Haunter is cooler. ^_^ Hands down, go with the ghosy with the mosty! *wearing Gangar costume, starts to jump around* ^_^