PDA

View Full Version : EV Questions

Blademaster
23rd June 2007, 09:52 PM
1. Say I kill 4 Bidoofs with my Arbok and then level him up one level. He gains an extra HP point. That's how EV's work, right?

But if Arbok instead kills 3 Bidoofs, levels up, kills a 4th one, and then levels up again later... Does he still get the +1 HP? Or am I getting ripped off?

2. Arbok weakens the Bidoofs, and then I send in my weak Wurmple to finish them and get the EXP AND the EV's. Does just Wurmple get the +1 HP, or do both Wurmple and Arbok get the 1? Or 1/2? Or none at all?

mr_pikachu
23rd June 2007, 10:02 PM
1. First of all, EV stat bonuses aren't allocated quite like that. For every 4 EV points you have in any given stat, your Pokemon will have 1 extra point in that stat upon reaching Lv. 100. If your Pokemon is instead at Lv. 50, then 8 EVs result in a 1 point bonus in your stats. You get the idea.

There are two reasons for a Pokemon's stats to increase when it levels up. The first is that the EVs it gained between the previous level and the new level can finally take effect. (Say your Pokemon hits Lv. 50... you finally get the bonus from all EVs earned between Lv. 49 and Lv. 50, unless you've used the Box Trick beforehand.) The second is the simple fact that it's getting closer to level 100, so its base stats increase and the EVs it gained previously have more of an effect.

2. All Pokemon who participate in battle gain the full benefit of EVs. If a Pokemon gives 1 EV in battle, and you use a full party of six Pokemon to defeat it, all six Pokemon gain that 1 EV.

Negrek
23rd June 2007, 10:03 PM
1. Say I kill 4 Bidoofs with my Arbok and then level him up one level. He gains an extra HP point. That's how EV's work, right?
No. EV points scale. By the time you reach level 100, those four bidoof will have earned you a complete stat point, yes. But at lower levels, you won't yet be seeing the benefit of EV's completely yet. It is likely that your arbok won't gain an extra HP point upon leveling up if you only kill four bidoof. However, if arbok were level 99 and killed those four bidoof, then leveled to 100, you would see the extra HP point because at that level the EV's would be counted to their fullest value.

But if Arbok instead kills 3 Bidoofs, levels up, kills a 4th one, and then levels up again later... Does he still get the +1 HP? Or am I getting ripped off?

It is impossible to "lose" EV's except by using the EV-lowering berries, so yes, the three bidoof that had been knocked out before would still "count" towards the eventual 1 extra HP.

2. Arbok weakens the Bidoofs, and then I send in my weak Wurmple to finish them and get the EXP AND the EV's. Does just Wurmple get the +1 HP, or do both Wurmple and Arbok get the 1? Or 1/2? Or none at all?
Assuming that both pokémon fight all four bidoof each, they will each gain 4 EV's, translating to an eventual extra point of HP.

Edit: Beaten. ;-;

Blademaster
23rd June 2007, 10:15 PM
I said he gains 1 HP - I never said when. :sweat: You try typing on the Wii and not paraphrasing. I double-dare you.

Anyway, thanks for answering that... Now to really barrel my head... What are *IV's,* and how do they work?

Depending on how confused I am after this, I may or may not have one more question, too... See if you can guess what it is... <<;;;;

mr_pikachu
23rd June 2007, 10:27 PM
IVs affect the base stats of your Pokemon. Each stat is assigned a hidden value from 0 to 31, and the higher the value, the stronger your Pokemon naturally is in that stat. (The sole exception is Shedinja, which has 1 HP no matter what its HP IVs and EVs are.) So IVs represent strength due to natural talent, while EVs are how you boost your strength further through training.

I don't recall offhand precisely how much each IV point affects your Pokemon's stats, but it's pretty important to breed for those high IVs if you're interested in competitive battling.

Negrek
23rd June 2007, 10:45 PM
I don't recall offhand precisely how much each IV point affects your Pokemon's stats, but it's pretty important to breed for those high IVs if you're interested in competitive battling.
At lv. 100 one IV point translates to one stat point, so the IV of a pokémon can add up to 31 to its stat.

Dark-San
25th June 2007, 01:29 PM
Okay, I thought since Blademaster had already open up a topic inquiring on EV, I might just as well post mine over here. Okay, let says if I equiped one of my pokemons with EXP SHARE. Would more of the EV points spill over to the Pokemon when it is in my team but is not the one battling?

Negrek
25th June 2007, 04:42 PM
Yes. A pokémon holding experience share will earn full EV's from the opponent even if it does not directly participate in the battle.

Elec Man EXE
26th June 2007, 10:48 AM
The general rule for EVs is that every pokemon that gets experience from a kill, regardless of how they got the experience (even if it was from Exp. Share), will get full EVs.