PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Release Approaches

mr_pikachu
28th June 2007, 07:55 PM
Lines build for iPhone launch (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070628/ap_on_hi_te/apple_iphone)

The long-awaited iPhone is almost here! But how many of you are going to be getting one? Will you be in line when the store doors open? Are you waiting for inevitable bug fixes and design updates in generation two? Or are you content with your five-year-old Nokia?

And as an additional note, who else has read the reviews by the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=1326bmh8m;_ylt=Anbm2DbZW6K0X_7ufUijD148MZA5/**http%3A//online.wsj.com/article/SB118289311361649057.html.html%3Fmod=technology_ma in_promo_left) and the New York Times' David Pogue (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=157ei3kgn;_ylt=Av6ISLucZfyk5X.CwSn_AgQ8MZA5/**http%3A//www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/technology/circuits/27pogue.html%3F_r=2%26hp=%26adxnnl=1%26oref=slogin %26adxnnlx=1182895729-zFW5V8OlPbwhPDurNy2Tow%26oref=slogin)? Any thoughts?

Go forth and discuss!

EDIT: Forgot to add the review (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2007-06-26-iphone-review_N.htm) by Edward Baig of USA Today to the list.

Jeff
28th June 2007, 09:11 PM
It seems pretty cool, but I don't know about switching to AT&T/Cingular to get one, I'm perfectly fine with Verizon, plus I'm not going to drop the cash to get something that will inevitably be filled with more bugs than a dumpster. I'll wait until they take care of the bugs and open it up to more networks.

pokemasterfrank
28th June 2007, 10:58 PM
I have a few problems with the iPhone that prevent me from wanting one.

1. Battery life. I remember reading about a 5 hour use time. I listen to my iPod quite a bit. I would kill the battery on the thing. Then again, 5 hours even just for calling is rather poor.

2. 8 GB. That's fine for music, but it plays videos, too. That wont do.

3. AT&T only, blah blah blah.

However, there are some cool features. I like the touch screen. Supposedly, it can read two fingers pressing the screen? Also that whole orientation of the screen changes when you rotate the phone thing. That's pretty neat.

Perfect Chaos
28th June 2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I'm a HUGE Apple guy (been one ever since I started using computers when I was like 7). So, I was looking forward to the iPhone release.

But I'm definitely not getting one. For the price, I could just throw on maybe another $100 for a PS3.

Also, the thing how its only for AT&T/Cingular pisses me off, since I've been using T-Mobile as of lately (might switch after this contract, since everyone's doing two-year contracts now). I've mad about this for a while, since I still want to get a Sony Ericsson phone for some time, but again AT&T/Cingular has to have a "monopoly" on those phones.

But yeah, finally, I'm never into buying a new product as soon as it hits the market. I'm still dying to get a PS3 but I prefer to wait until they get some more games for it and maybe also tweak up some the features and definitely a price drop. If anything, I'll be doing the same for the iPhone.

So yeah, my two cents on it

Magmar
29th June 2007, 02:27 AM
If I wasn't a dirt poor university student then yes, I would get one. XD

RedStarWarrior
29th June 2007, 03:16 AM
Eh, I'd get one if it didn't suck so much. $600 is a little too much for what you get. Perhaps if it was 20GB...naw, it's still on a slower network. I might buy the second or third version.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
2nd July 2007, 06:48 AM
I see no need for one. My seven year old Siemens cell phone still does its job and as long as it's not falling apart it's enough for me. If I want to listen to music I use my tiny Creative MP3 player. And I have absolutely no desire to go online with a cell phone, unless I can play some decent MMORPGs on it. =P

It's also way too big, it wouldn't even fit into my pocket. When I bend over to tie my shoe laces it's sure to fall out, just like my keys. ^^

Andrew
2nd July 2007, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't mind one. But, I wonder, when is the IPhone release date for Australia?

Gavin Luper
2nd July 2007, 07:55 AM
In continuing with my vendetta against all forms of new technology and digital things, I pledge never to buy one!

*continues use of internet*

*loathes self*

Kris
2nd July 2007, 03:18 PM
Definately interested!! But would like to actually have a go on one before I buy it.

To be honest I dont think its that expensive. £200 - £300? Thats a normal mobile phone if you buy on its own over here! Obviously I expect it to be much cheaper if its on a network. Also depends which networks gets it.

Crystal Mew
2nd July 2007, 11:29 PM
Nah, I could care less about this thing. Sure it may be cool, but I really dont have the money for it...I need to save up money for a car!

Drago
4th July 2007, 03:20 AM
I just genuinely have no interest for phones and never have. It's shocking to me that so many people seem to be getting a new phone every year or two. For crying out loud, if it makes and receives phone calls, it's doing its job. I survived off the Nokia I got for Christmas in 2003 until last month, when my sister gave me her two-year old Motorola.

So no, I'm not forking over the moolah for a friggin' phone.

Chris
4th July 2007, 04:07 AM
It'll probably only be available on 3 when it gets its UK release and you'll be roped into some ludicrous contract so screw that.

Plus, y'know, the whole £300-being-way-overpriced-for-a-phone thing.

Alucard
4th July 2007, 05:04 AM
Here's hoping Virgin get the iPhone contract.

Magmar
4th July 2007, 11:07 AM
it's just a
stupid
fricking
phone.
a piece of metal.
if you want to look good,
use acne lotion and get a haircut,
not buy a phone.

DarkTemplarZero
4th July 2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM

^ iPhone's only real use is as a pretty funny joke on Conan O'Brien. I really don't see how the iPhone's anything more than a slightly glorified BlackBerry. Besides, my razr v3m's cheaper and damn sexy.

Alucard
5th July 2007, 03:47 AM
O2 'to get iPhone contract in UK'

Mobile phone operator O2 is reported to have won the sought-after deal to sell Apple's iPhone in the UK.

Press reports said that O2 is set to sign an exclusive contract shortly and should have the new phones on sale in time for Christmas.

A spokesman for O2, which is owned by Spain's Telefonica, declined to comment on the reports.

More than 500,000 iPhones were sold in the first weekend in the US by AT&T, which has exclusive rights there.
Vodafone had previously been tipped as the likely winner of the contract.
The agreement with O2 is reported to include Apple receiving a continuing share of the revenue generated for the network operator.
The handsets are expected to be sold for about £300 and O2 will be hoping that the lure of the fashionable phone is enough to win customers from rival networks.

Fuckballs. BT got it.

Dark-San
5th July 2007, 10:06 AM
I am a kind of technological freak compared to the rest of my family members, taking into account that I own lots more electronics than them. To date, I had a laptop, a 3G mobile, a bluetooth wireless headset, a television set and a DVD player all bought using my spare cash. Adding to that list would be my Nintendo DS which I only bought it over like a month ago.

Now that Iphone is just released in the States, it would only be a matter of time before it gets released here in Singapore. Iphone is now on my must get list and I put it in the highest priority over other stuffs.

And yeah Magmar, about your comments on it just being a metal, I have to agree. However, you have to take note that in the local context, the type of mobile you own tells you about your status in society.

Sorry Andrew but I think you have to wait since Singapore gets these kinds of goods faster than Australia. ^.^

Roarkiller
5th July 2007, 11:12 PM
I share my sentiments with DragoKnight.

If I wanted to listen to music, I have a CDplayer that plays mp3. If I wanted to take photos, I have a camera. If I wanted to take video, I have a camcorder. If I wanted to WATCH videos, I stay at home, or use my portable DVD player.

And last I heard the iPhone doesn't have SMS, or maybe I just read wrongly.

Definition for phone: to make and receive calls.

Katie
6th July 2007, 05:10 PM
Absolutely pointless, it's just this century's version of a swiss army knife. Exactly how often do you need a corkscrew on your day-to-day outings? How often do you need to watch a movie? Seriously, where are these people going that will make their attention span dwindle that much? Besides, wouldn't it be a pain to be watching that tiny screen for hours on end? Unless it's a bigger phone, then it doesn't fit into pockets and you have to wear one of those stupid holsters.

GET OFF MY LAWN.

Andrew
6th July 2007, 07:08 PM
Roarkiller, the phone has SMS, but it doesn't have MMS. So, you can't use it to MMS Pictures or Soundclips or short videos.

Sceptile_Master
6th July 2007, 08:31 PM
I think it looks pretty sweet and may consider one for a future phone. I'd just have to make sure I don't listen to the music too much and kill off all the battery :S.

Magmar
8th July 2007, 08:59 AM
I played with an iPhone in the iStore at the local iMall and I really hated it. Gets grubby quickly, and my fingers are too wide to do much of anything properly.

DarkTemplarZero
8th July 2007, 11:37 PM
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/The_iRaq_Pocket_PC

^ Apple's newest product, the iRaq.