PDA

View Full Version : Maggymar's sick again :( and needs him some advice-izzle :(

Magmar
1st July 2007, 08:55 AM
Okay I am sick of the answer to "I don't know what to do" being "Go see a doctor" because, Magmar is a poor college student with disabled parents that don't work, which means, I don't have health insurance!!

You'd think there'd be a way to help with that...

Nevertheless I have a fatal allergy to most medicines except for those in the Sudafed/Benadryl categories. And only some of them. :(

And I've been having a rough go at it for the last week and a half.

Well,
*bitch bitch bitch:*
Starting tomorrow at 6 a.m. I have to put up with hundreds of freshmen day after day running through these halls and crying to me that they can't register for their general education courses because they picked the late registration dates. With concerts, my 21st birthday, orientations and parties all for the next two weeks, I just don't have the time to be sick.

My problem is that my nose plugs up whenever I lay down so I just can't frickin' sleep! Like I finally dozed off at 5:30 a.m. and was up at 7 a.m. today. And I have to move my room and decorate this whole five-story, 120-room building by the time the freshmen come in.

So basically,
I can't be sick anymore.
And being away from home and Grandma being on vacation, I just have no way of really having the time to talk to people and figure out some home remedies for an absurdly stuffy nose.
*/bitch*
Which is why I'm posting this here instead of on WhineJournal. I can't deal with this any longer. I just neeeeeed to be better, ASAP.

So when ya'll get sick,
what are some cute things your families do for you that help you get better?? Especially with a stuffy nose that won't quit.

If I have time to post this I should call my friends and ask but it's better to just walk back in here in a few hours and see some responses.

Gavin Luper
1st July 2007, 09:02 AM
I recommend Vicks for the cold. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest just putting up with it and getting on with what you have to do.

Roarkiller
1st July 2007, 09:25 AM
Seriously? Go see the doctor.

No really, best advice I can give you, cuz a buncha trolls on a message board can't possibly know what you CANNOT take (seeing your allergies), and there will be bound to be a lot of wrong and potentially dangerous advice.

Still, on sleep, meh, just don't lie down. Sleep on a recliner or something, it's comfy and you're not lying down.

Magmar
1st July 2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not really seeking medical advice, though. I just want nifty home remedies I can prepare in a dormitory. Like foods, types of teas, stuff like that.

But I can't AFFORD to see the doctor. I was going to go and then I got a $103 driving ticket for "failure to drive right" which was... just the officer being a douche and a prat and making his quota. He didn't even give me a real infraction.

Asilynne
1st July 2007, 01:15 PM
Ok, take it from me, because even when I do have health insurance, I LOATHE going to the doc, I ABHOR taking medicines, and I REFUSE to even listen to Rudy suggest these corses of action XD
(Im stubborn)
Anyway, theres a few things Ive learned from my dad and just in general to help you avoid these evils XD
First of all if you have any kind of sickness whatsoever, my dad would suggest eat an orange. Oranges can apparently make you feel better no matter what you seem to have (but for stuffy noses they actually work). You might be tempted to cheat with orange juice, and that IS good for you but all it will really do is clean out your system and help prevent prostate cancer. But you have a stuffy nose so at first I reccommend you eat at least 2 juicy oranges every day. Should be easy since they taste good eh? :>

Second to help speed up the stuffy nose feeling better, get a bowl and a cloth, boil up some water, pour it in the bowl, sprinkle some camomelle tea leaves in the water and put your head over the bowl with the cloth over your headc to keep in the steam and breathe in deeply. (Its also good for your skin). Do that til the steam goes away and you should feel at least a lil better.

Do this and tell me if you feel at least a lil better :> since I cant actually go into your dorm room and drag you to the kitchen to mother you til your better XD You would hate me but then you would love me because of my motherliness would actually work XD

Edit: also when Im sick like that I escape into the shower for an hour at a time and that seems to make me feel better, just blow your nose whenever you have a chance like after a shower or steaming your face ^-~

Blademaster
1st July 2007, 03:15 PM
Chicken soup, loaded with fresh carrots, onions, and celery, as well as as much garlic and pepper as you can possibly tolerate. It revitalizes the body and utterly destroys germs.

Weasel Overlord
1st July 2007, 03:55 PM
If your throat hurts, I drink warmed lemonade with loads of honey in, randomly enough. It tastes bloody nice too. ^_^ You can just shove the lemonade in a cup, microwave it for 2 minutes and then stir in some honey. Easy peasy. :D

Asi's steam sounds good too, but I can personally never handle the heat, so I don't bother with that.

Poor Barrykins!! *huggles you* Get bettterrr soooon!! *lobs tissues*

Magmar
1st July 2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I've been eating not oranges, but grapefruits, surprisingly, seeing as how most men don't eat grapefruit... not to generalize but I seriously never see another guy touch the grapefruits. But i like them. Tomorrow, for breakyfast, I shall indulge in a juicy orange.

I did the honey and lemon trick, and took a long shower. Both helped me to feel better loads!

Now my next dilemma is, i can't seem to sleep at night because my nose plugs up!! It doesn't even help sitting up. What do you do in this situation??? Without ANYThing involving medicines or health insurance requiring goodies.

God i need to learn how to do things on my own.
and google is no help -_-

Roarkiller
2nd July 2007, 05:49 AM
Trying googling on home remedies for snoring, cuz apparently yours is a similar case. Snoring is caused when your breathing passage blocks up FYI, which is why some people can literally snore to death.

Maybe you'd wanna try those nose patches sportsmen use, the kind that somewhat prevents nose blockages.

Emotional Faun Chiko-sai
2nd July 2007, 08:58 AM
Eugh. The nose thing. That bitch happens to me ALL the time ><

I agree with Asy's steam solution for temporary relief, it works and I do it every time I get a cold that bad :) hopefully your nose clears up long enough for you to drop off to sleep cos it doesn't last too long.

For an alternative I never actually tried anything else besides a nasal spray decongester thing called Afrin, google it or somet to check if it's got anything you're allergic to inside.. it's a better bet than the steam cure, and it stops the stuffiness for about half the day, but then again it's medicine so yah risky. :< It's not that expensive, where I live (Malaysia) it cost me about US$5.50.

Crystal Mew
2nd July 2007, 11:36 PM
I hardly ever get sick anymore, and I cant really remember the last time I was sick...but when I am my family is nicer to me which is good, haha.

Hmm...normally when my nose is stuffed up I put on mentholadum and it works wonders. I also heard about this stuff called Sinucleanse....its some device you use to clear out your sinuses and it supposedly works really good, and opens up the airways in your nose. You can find them at walgreens for like $12

i've never used it, but people that used them said they worked great so it couldn't hurt right?

Blademaster
3rd July 2007, 12:05 AM
Here's an unorthodox yet effective solution. Warm up some water and salt it until you have a brew of equal temperature and salinity to human tears. Tilt your head over the sink and pour it in one nostril until it comes out the other. Repeat for the other nostril, then blow your nose. Repeat as necessary until both nasal passages are clear enough to breathe through comfortably.

-/Deathborn/-
4th July 2007, 07:43 PM
^ I was thinking along the lines of "vaccum suck out mucus". I've always wanted to try that.
Blow your nose constantly. Keep tissues on hand at all times, and lots of them. I like the steam idea though.

And anyone know why moving about gets rid of that "stuffy" feeling? It baffles me.

Jeff
4th July 2007, 09:23 PM
The only home remedy I remember as a kid was toast and soda for an upset stomach. Are you allergic to any zinc-based stuff like Cold Ease? That's what I usually take and it works wonders, but only if you take it early.

DarkTemplarZero
4th July 2007, 10:43 PM
The most obvious way to get better quickly is to take lots of vitamin c. You can take way more of it than other vitamins because it's water soluble and leaves your body really quickly. When I'm sick I take 2 or 3 866% DV supplements per day, gives your immune system a kick.

Roarkiller
5th July 2007, 11:07 PM
And anyone know why moving about gets rid of that "stuffy" feeling? It baffles me.

As does me, because moving around makes it worse in my case.

Btw magmar, if sitting up doesn't help, maybe turning around would? You know, facing downwards instead of upwards? Like sleeping on a desk at school. I used to do that back when I had asthma attacks and/or flu, and it usually works.