PDA

View Full Version : GAME (Tournament): Summer 2007 Cartoon Character Battle – Nominations [M.A. TML]

mr_pikachu
4th July 2007, 11:47 PM
Summer 2007 Cartoon Character Battle – Nominations
Originally Created By Dr. Omicron
Tournament Director and Host: mr_pikachu
Moderator Approved by The_Missing_Link
With Many Thanks to GameFAQs.com

TPM’s cartoon character battle tournament has returned at last! 64 of the greatest characters of all time will enter the tournament, but only one will survive to claim the title of the Cartoon Character Champion!

RULES

For those of you who aren’t familiar with TPM’s past Cartoon Character Battle tournaments, I’ll explain how they work. You, the TPM members, will decide who you think the best 64 characters of all time are. They can be from any animated or drawn cartoon, just as long as they receive the support of the members. These characters will then be seeded into a single-elimination bracket, and will go head-to-head in one match after another, battling it out and fighting through the tournament until one character remains as the Champion. (If you have seen the video game Character Battle held annually on GameFAQs, this event is similar to that one, and it was in fact originally based on that tournament.)

This particular thread is for the nomination topic. I will explain how the entire tournament will work, but for now the only parts you really need to be concerned about those parts prior to the tournament itself. Feel free to read it all if you want, though.

INTRODUCTION: WHY SHOULD A CHARACTER WIN?
If you’re going to pick a champion, you should know why you’re placing your votes!

To put it very simply, there are no specific criteria for determining who you should vote for. It’s up to you to decide why one character is better than the others. Choose wisely!

PART ONE: NOMINATIONS
The tournament can’t begin without the characters to duke it out, so we need your help!

1. Your job is simple: Help choose which characters will make it into the field of 64.
How do you do this, you ask? Well, nominations will use a point system. Each TPM member who nominates is given 15 points to use. You can then give these points to different characters who you think should be in the tournament. You may give no more than one point to any one character. However, you can give a point to a character who has already received points from other members. You may only use up to 10 points on characters that have already been nominated, though; if you want to use the other 5, they must be used to nominate new characters. (However, you may use more than 5 points to nominate new characters; you can even do this for all 15 of your points if you wish.)

2. Now, why are the points so important? Well, they will be used to determine the “seeds” of each character in the tournament. The 64 characters in the tournament will be divided into 4 separate divisions, and each of those divisions will have 16 characters that will be ranked from 1 to 16 (1 being the top favorite in the division, and 16 being the biggest underdog). Characters with more points will be given better seeds. Any ties in the number of points will be broken at the discretion of the tournament director; however, no character can ever be seeded lower than another character who has fewer points. (For instance, no 6 seed will have earned more points than any 5 seed, regardless of division.) Also, if there is a tie for the last spot or spots in the field of 64 characters, that tie will also be broken at the discretion of the tournament director.

3. The number of points that each character has earned will be updated periodically at the bottom of this post until the nominations are closed.

4. Now, to the nominations themselves. How do you make them, you ask? It’s quite simple. All you have to do is make a list of characters to be nominated. Please also let me know what series the character is from as well as your reason for the nomination. Here are some examples of good, clear methods for this:

NOMINATIONS:
Garfield (Garfield, he’s one of the best selling comic characters of all time!)
James from Pokémon. What would Team Rocket be without him?
Bugs Bunny – Looney Tunes. Bugs’ gags never fail to crack me up.
Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog. He’s practically a legend in games, too!
Wallace, from Wallace and Gromit. These two guys helped change all of animation!
Tsukasa (.hack//SIGN). He may be sad, but he’s kinda cool, in a way…
Yugi Muto (Yu-Gi-Oh!). Who wouldn’t love that hairstyle?
…And I’ll save the rest of my points for later.

See how it works? Obviously it’s better if you do all of your nominations in the same format, but those are some examples of ways to present them that can easily be understood.

5. NO MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER IN ANY SERIES WILL BE IN THE TOURNAMENT. This is very important to remember. If more than one character from any given series is nominated, then only the one with the most points will be entered into the tournament. (Again, ties will be broken by the tournament director.) All other characters for that series will be ineligible for the tournament, regardless of how many points they’ve earned. So nominate wisely!

6. Nominations will end after two weeks. (If less than 64 characters have been nominated, then the nominations phase may be extended, or the remaining slots may be filled manually by the tournament director. However, this is not expected to occur.)

After the nomination topic is closed and the brackets have been assembled, then the real fun begins: The tournament!

PART TWO: TOURNAMENT
This is what it’s all about! Cheer your characters on to victory in the grand battle!

1. Each round of the tournament will be given a separate thread. Each individual battle of the round will be listed in the first post of that thread, and it will show the combatant’s names as well as their seeding in the tournament. When you see this, it’s time for you to vote!

2. To vote, simply indicate your choices in a reply to the round’s thread. A good way to do this is by copying the brackets that are posted and bolding your choice for each match. Feel free to post comments such as your reasons for choosing each character, too.

3. Each round will last for one week before the thread is closed and the round is concluded. This means that you have an entire week to pick who you want to win. That should be plenty of time. If you really want your characters to win, then get out there and vote!

4. Once the tournament reaches the latter stages, more information may be given about the remaining characters. You may hear about each character’s history, appearances, creation, and other interesting facts. This information will help you to make the crucial decisions that will decide the final champion.

5. Should two characters be tied when the polls for a match close, the tournament director will cast the tiebreaker vote. However, the tournament director will NOT cast a vote in ANY match other than a required tiebreaker vote. It’ll be up to you to keep your characters moving through the tournament, so get out the vote!

6. The tournament will continue in this manner until the final battle is complete and the Champion of the tournament is decided.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Nominations:
3 - Superman (Justice League)
3 - Optimus Prime (Transformers)
3 - Gaara (Naruto)
3 - Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
2 - Shadow The Hedgehog (Sonic X)
2 - Mickey Mouse (Steamboat Willie)
2 - Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes)
2 - Ash Ketchum (Pokémon)
2 - Link (Legend of Zelda)
2 - Ichigo (Bleach)
2 - Bender (Futurama)
2 - Naru Narusegawa (Love Hina)
2 - Chii (Chobits)
2 - Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
2 - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)
1 - Bugs Bunny (Looney Tunes)
1 - Garfield (Garfield)
1 - Histugaya Toshirou (Bleach)
1 - Ling-Ling (Drawn Together)
1 - Homer Simpson (The Simpsons)
1 - Mario (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show)
1 - Yugi Mutou (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
1 - Inuyasha (Inuyasha)
1 - Fred Flintstone (The Flintstones)
1 - Eric Cartman (South Park)
1 - Woody the Woodpecker (The Woody Woodpecker Show)
1 - Kuwabara (Yu-Yu Hakusho)
1 - Master Shake (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
1 - Tracey (Pokémon)
1 - Guile (Street Fighter 2)
1 - Cheetor (Beastwars)
1 - James (Pokémon)
1 - Lucifer (Angel Sanctuary)
1 - Chester Cheetah (Cheetos)
1 - Darth Vader (Star Wars: Clone Wars)
1 - Caboose (Red vs. Blue)
1 - Scooby-Doo (Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!)
1 - Chiyo Mihama (Azumanga Daioh)
1 - Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
1 - Haruko Haruhara (FLCL)
1 - Dilbert (Dilbert)
1 - Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
1 - Vash the Stampede (Trigun)
1 - Tsukasa (.hack//SIGN)
1 – Trunks (Dragon Ball Z)
1 - Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
1 - Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
1 - Raven (Teen Titans)
1 - Wolverine (X-men)
1 - Meta Knight (Kirby: Right Back At Ya!)
1 - Takuya (Digimon Frontier)
1 - Omi (Xiaolin Showdown)
1 - Ranma (Ranma ˝)
1 - MegaMan.EXE (Megaman NT Warrior)
1 - Belldandy (Ah! My Goddess)

I'll start things off with a few of my nominations.

Ash Ketchum (Pokémon). Seriously, he's the hero of Pokémon, the series that inspired this forum.
Bugs Bunny (Looney Tunes). A true classic, with some of the best slapstick moments in history.
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto). It's hard enough having a demon inside you. But when everyone mocks your philosophies and your very existence, not many people could keep their cool.
Garfield (Garfield). This pasta-loving feline is easily recognizable for his popularity, longevity, and absurdly rotund figure.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th July 2007, 01:54 AM
My nominations are as follows

1) Link (Legend of Zelda) Well excuuuuuuuusssssseeeeee me princess (need I say more)

2) Histugaya Toshirou (Bleach) He is just so cool (Dragons for the win)

3) Ling-Ling (Drawn Together) Another Asian trading card battle monster (Pikachu Look alike)

I will post more later

Blademaster
5th July 2007, 05:33 AM
Here ya go.

Superman (Justice League) - He's the Man of Steel! He stands for truth, justice, and the American way! Who could object to him being here?!
Homer Simpson (The Simpsons) - Star of the longest-running sitcom in history.
Mario (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show) - Star of the longest-running video game franchise in history, and his cartoons weren't half-bad, either!
Yugi Mutou (Yu-Gi-Oh!) - Indeed, Bri, who CAN'T love that hair?
Inuyasha (Inuyasha) - He's bad-ass, and his anime is one of the most popular around.
Fred Flintstone (The Flintstones) - He's the modern Stone Age family man!
Eric Cartman (South Park) - He's... Well... He's Cartman... :s

Mega Horny
5th July 2007, 07:31 AM
My nominations are:

1) Woody the Woodpecker. He's all that matters in life.
2) Kuwabara from Yu-Yu Hakusho. He'll kick everyone's ass, including his own.
3) Master Shake. Oh yes, victory will be his. Oh yes.

Those are my main three, but I may post more later.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and

4) Tracey from Pokemon, just because he needs to get his ass kicked.

mr_pikachu
5th July 2007, 02:05 PM
I'd like to briefly remind everyone that I need to know both the character and the show/movie/comic/etc. for each nomination. (I happen to know the origins of both Master Shake and Woody, for instance, but that's not the case with every nominee.)

Shadow Wolf
5th July 2007, 05:42 PM
Wow, is it that time of the year already? Well, OK. Time for me to nominate.

Shadow The Hedgehog - Sonic X - The Ultimate Life Form is one of the favorite characters of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, because he's portrayed as a Superhero and as a Supervillian at the same time.

Optimus Prime - Transformers - Another well known superhero. Not any robot is capable of being a car and a fighting machine.

Guile - Street Fighter 2, the animated movie - Quote from Guile: "Are you man enough to fight with me?"

Mickey Mouse - Steamboat Willie - The anthropomorphic mouse has evolved from being simply a character in animated cartoons and comic strips to become one of the most recognizable symbols in the world.

and those are all for now.

Unsolved Puzzle
17th July 2007, 12:22 AM
ok i would like to give 1 to naruto

and 1 to shadow

I would like to nominate

Gaara of The Sand from naruto

15 points -3=12

mr_pikachu
17th July 2007, 12:53 AM
Er, you can't give any more than one point to any one character. But you can give a point to as many as 15 characters.

I'll go ahead and give one point each to Shadow and to Gaara, Unsolved Puzzle, as I assume you would want that much. But since I'm not sure if you also wanted to give a point to Naruto Uzumaki or if you were simply listing the series of origin, I won't give another point to him unless you give further clarification about that.

Bulbasaur4
17th July 2007, 12:59 AM
The ones I've nominated in Bold have already been nominated, I am just re-nominating.

Link - Zelda Series (all the games)
Gaara - Naruto
Superman - Justice League
Mickey Mouse - Steamboat
Optimus Prime - Transformers

Now for mine...

Hobbs - Calvin & Hobbs (who doesn't like this comic? XD)
Cheetor - Beastwars (Mmm... Cheetor was awesome..)
James - Pokemon (He's the only one I find funny.)
Ichigo - Bleach (... come on... he's.... Ichigo... )
Lucifer - Angel Sanctuary (... If you read chapter 16, 17 & 18... you'll know why. Not only does he pown his brother Micheal, own the underworld, kill all the zodiac angels, but he looks bad ass in that black leather outfit of doom. Did I mention he just kills everyone? Oh, his codename? Kira. )

mr_pikachu
17th July 2007, 01:04 AM
To clarify, Link was not nominated for the Legend of Zelda games, as only cartoon characters are eligible. Link was nominated for his role in the Legend of Zelda cartoon. Do you still want to add your support to that nomination? I'll hold off adding a point there until receiving further clarification.

Unsolved Puzzle
17th July 2007, 03:23 PM
um when i gave one to naruto u did not add it did i do somtin wrong?

give 1 to Hobbs

anyways i would like to nominate cheseter cheeto from the cheetos comercial

and darth vader from Star WArs: Clone WArs

and one to Bender from Futerrama

mr_pikachu
17th July 2007, 06:05 PM
I wasn't sure if you were giving a point to both Naruto and Gaara, or if you were saying that you wanted to give a point to Gaara from Naruto. That's why I didn't add it immediately, because I didn't want to assume you made a nomination that you didn't intend to make.

And I never thought we'd have a commercial character in this tournament, but now that I think about it, that sort of makes sense. Some of them have become major pop culture icons, after all. ^_^;

Unsolved Puzzle
17th July 2007, 09:13 PM
not sure if the rule aplies that 2 ppl after u for nominations, but since no one else is posting i would like to use some of my points

i have 8 soo

1 to link

1 to super man

1 to optimous prime

1 to ash (pokemon)

also

can i nomintate charecters from mechanimes like red vs blue?

mr_pikachu
17th July 2007, 10:35 PM
I think Red vs. Blue and similar productions would be legitimate. Although RvB uses game engines in its production, the fact that it is still a show rather than a game leads me to conclude that it falls under the designation of computer animation, which is fine.

Unsolved Puzzle
17th July 2007, 10:50 PM
k one to Caboose From RvB

and 1 to Scooby Dooby Dooo

2 points left (srry if double post, my first post didnt show up)

mr_pikachu
18th July 2007, 12:42 AM
I'll add a few more nominations of my own.

Naru Narusegawa (Love Hina). She's the girl of every nerdy loser's dreams!

Chii (Chobits). Or maybe Chii fits the bill better than Naru... argh!

Shinji Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Eva just wouldn't have been the same without Shinji's influence. Whether it was "thermal expansion" or the dilemma with Kaworu... even his relationship with his father was a major catalyst.

Spike (Cowboy Bebop). Do I really have to explain the cool qualities of this badass?

endy
19th July 2007, 11:01 PM
id like to give a pint to

Gaara

Naruto

Bender

Ichigo

mr_pikachu
19th July 2007, 11:41 PM
Okay, two things.

1. I will extend the deadline for nominations by one week, since we do not yet have 64 competitors. The new deadline is July 25th, 2007 at 11:47 p.m. Central Time.

2. I've accidentally counted a lot of nominations that did not have a reason, even though the rules say that such nominations are not allowed. In order to maintain consistency, I will accept all nominations made prior to this post, whether or not they have such reasons. But from this point onward, all nominations MUST have an explanation, as demonstrated in section one, rule four.

Bulbasaur4
20th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Ah, then I retract my Link point. ^_^

However, giving that I still have points left... add points to all of your nominations. I love them all (especially Spike & Naru) ^_^

mr_pikachu
21st July 2007, 12:06 AM
Bulbasaur4: Do you mean the four nominations in my last post, or all the nominations I've made overall? Also, I still need reasons for adding the points to whichever characters you choose.

I think I'll add my final nominations now.

Chiyo Mihama (Azumanga Daioh). Her unusual circumstances only made scenes like the aftermath of the Yukari-mobile even funnier.

Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist). A child prodigy with two metal limbs and a Napoleon complex. Now that's originality!

Haruko Haruhara (FLCL). She's an alien nutjob who'll do absolutely anything for the power of Atomsk, a guitar superhero. Any woman who hits people in the head and uses their welts as weapons is worth a second look.

Dilbert (Dilbert). He may be a poor sap at the mercy of middle management, but Dilbert makes office workers everywhere seem like they're not alone.

Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura). The magical girl genre has a lot of stereotypes, but Sakura foregoes such standards like transformation sequences in favor of powerful emotions and deep relational conflicts. Good stuff.

Vash the Stampede (Trigun). The dude's a futuristic gunslinger who refuses to hurt anyone. Classy, yet slightly sheepish... don't you wish you were cool enough to be obviously awesome even when you acted like a buffoon?

Tsukasa (.hack//SIGN). Yes, he's loaded with angst. But how can you not feel for a kid who goes into a coma when his consciousness is locked inside a game? Especially when we've all wished to be in a game at some time or another...

mr_pikachu
24th July 2007, 11:48 PM
There's only one day left to make nominations, and currently only 40 slots in the tournament can be filled. Get your picks in before time runs out!

(Bulbasaur4, I still need confirmation about my earlier question.)

Bulbasaur4
25th July 2007, 12:49 AM
I meant just your four from your last post.
And do we have to give reasons why we gave points to other characters that were already nominated? Otherwise I GAVE reasons already for mine... but I'll redo it.

Hobbs - Calvin & Hobbs - Hobbs is an adorable stuffed animal or... is he? He deserves to be nominated for the originality of the comic itself and because he's better than Calvin.
Cheetor - Beastwars - The reincarnate of Bumblebee, in one way. His heart leads him and he goes through all the awesome stages that are possible for the Maximal in the series. Plus he later becomes the leader of the group and you can track his whole maturity... it's cool. Plus he's a cheetah. Woot.
James - Pokemon - The only rocket member I find actually funny. He's not a jerk, just easily misled. ^_^
Ichigo - Bleach - The main character from Bleach. Deserves to be in it for that sake alone, and because he's quite awesome now with his Hollow mask.
Lucifer - Angel Sanctuary (... If you read chapter 16, 17 & 18... you'll know why. Not only does he pown his brother Micheal, own the underworld, kill all the zodiac angels, but he looks bad ass in that black leather outfit of doom. Did I mention he just kills everyone? Oh, his codename? Kira. )

mr_pikachu
25th July 2007, 12:53 AM
Well, considering that you could simply copy and paste the reasons given previously, I suppose you could just say you agree with the earlier explanations if you so choose. That's a little less lazy than a mere copy+paste, after all.

Shadow Wolf
25th July 2007, 12:02 PM
Hmm, it seems that there are a lot of slots remaining. Well, time to fill a few…

1 – Trunks - Dragon Ball Z

2 - Kenshin - Rurouni Kenshin

3 - Aang – Avatar: The Last Airbender

4 - Raven – Teen Titans

5 - Wolverine – X-men

6 - Meta Knight – Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

7 - Takuya – Digimon Frontier

8 - Omi – Xiaolin Showdown

9 - Ranma – Ranma ˝

10 - MegaMan.EXE – Megaman NT Warrior

11 - Belldandy – Ah! My Goddess

…and my points are gone. Hope they aren’t wasted.

Well, be writing later.

mr_pikachu
25th July 2007, 11:48 PM
The nominations phase is now over. As tournament director, I will invoke rule 6 of this section to complete the remaining nominations after eliminating excess nominees from the same series.

Please wait patiently as I prepare the bracket for round one!