PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Love makes the world go round.

mr_pikachu
5th July 2007, 04:41 AM
Okay, so the subject of this poll should be pretty obvious. Let's get to the good stuff!

GENERAL QUESTIONS
1. Have you ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend? If so, how many have you had? (Not more than one at once, I hope...) If not, why not?
2. What's your status right now? Single? Dating? Engaged? Married?
3. What do you look for in a romantic partner?
4. What do you think is the key to a successful romantic relationship?
5. What do you think “love” is?

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS
6. What do you think about “shipping” in Pokémon?
7. Do you think that any of the major anime characters will ever have a canon romance?
8. What are your thoughts about the daycare (and breeding) centers in the games?

And now for my answers...

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. Yeah. I had a steady girlfriend for a couple of years back in high school, and I'm in the beginning stages of another relationship right now.

2. I guess I'm somewhere between single and dating.

3. Well, I didn't look for this back in high school – a big mistake on my part, if I may say so. But I look for someone with whom I can freely talk, whether it's a trivial topic or something that is very dear to me. It's great if we can really empathize with one another, in both good times and bad. And I obviously seek someone whose interests are similar to mine; otherwise, it's a lot harder to find common ground.

4. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I'm led to believe that communication is crucial. If you can't talk with someone, what do you have? There's obviously physical attraction, and you can always do things like go to movies and such. But those alone won't sustain a relationship, the way I see it.

5. I always give myself such hard questions... well, love starts with caring for another. You hope for your partner's well-being, and you want to help them succeed. There's obviously the attraction part of it; I think true love involves a lot more than physical attraction, but some might disagree with me. Nonetheless, there needs to be something that makes you want to be with that other person and to stand by his or her side. And of course, that feeling should grow to the point where it's stronger than what you feel for any other potential partner. Unless, of course, you believe in polygamy.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. I think it's a good way to discuss potential in the anime, even if it is unlikely to ever reach fruition. If nothing else, it can facilitate brainstorming for “how I would continue Pokémon.” But some people get carried away; listing miniscule reasons why a particular shipping couple seems real tends to do nothing but give shipping a bad name. Too many shippers overstate their arguments and end up looking ridiculous.

7. With the possible exception of Brock, no. The reason I list Brock is because one could reasonably argue that he's already had a real romance, in a sense. Some of you may recall Susie, who loaned Brock her Vulpix for quite a long time. Brock didn't haphazardly flirt with her like he normally does with his momentary crushes, but the animation still made him appear subtly distraught upon realizing that she and Zane were an item. It's hard to say whether this was truly a canon romance, but it's certainly better than his terrifying fascination with every Joy and Jenny in the world.

8. I just think it's weird that most Pokémon will freely breed with any compatible partner you provide. Enough said.

So, what do you think?

Magmar
5th July 2007, 05:09 AM
1. Have you ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend? If so, how many have you had? (Not more than one at once, I hope...) If not, why not?
I've had about 6 or 7 boyfriends.

Single but starting to talk to guys again.

Honest eyes and a well groomed body, a silly laugh, sparkly biters, and a sweet personality.

Trust from both ends. Complete trust.

When you no longer need trust.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS
Pathetic. Think of something else.

7. Do you think that any of the major anime characters will ever have a canon romance?
They're ink and paper, so no.

8. What are your thoughts about the daycare (and breeding) centers in the games?
Good way of teaching kids of where babies come from.

Blademaster
5th July 2007, 05:40 AM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. About 3 girlfriends and countless more crushes.

2. Dating, I guess, is the right word.

3. A beautiful personality, intelligence, and a free spirit. Of course, good looks don't hurt, either. :sweat2:

4. I'm with Bri. Communication FTW.

5. Four letters wrapped in two quotation marks.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. I don't care unless it's yuri. And even then I don't care much.

7. See #6.

8. They taught me to never leave my Pokemon alone. Even if they're all the same gender. (shudders) ><''

Weasel Overlord
5th July 2007, 05:50 AM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

I've only ever had one serious boyfriend, but lots of other short-term ones. About six, I think.

Single, alas. Looking for a man is hard!

Messy hair, lovely eyes, a sense of humour, good at English, (I'd KILL for a writer, but so far, no luck) someone who likes the same sort of stuff as me.

Communication. Since the lack of it destroyed my relationship. And keeping that initial spark alive for as long as you can so that it never just gets routine to spend time together.

Trust, attraction, being so completely comfortable with someone that you can tell them anything.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

I do not ship ANYTHING in Pokemon. It's GROSS! All the characters are like, 12, and like, blerrrgh... *shudders* Although I DID see some nice artwork of Steven on 4chan once... :D

It's unlikely. I mean, it's a kids program.

HIGHLY unrealistic! As if mammals lay eggs. *tut-tuts*

Blademaster
5th July 2007, 06:00 AM
HIGHLY unrealistic! As if mammals lay eggs. *tut-tuts*

Uh... What about the platypus? o.O

Shadow Wolf
5th July 2007, 06:15 PM
Hmm, this should be interesting...

GENERAL QUESTIONS

Sadly, I've never had a girlfriend. Most of the girls cut off the friendship before even two months have passed. I think that I have bad luck because of my short communication with the real world society, and because of my cold sincerity. The last relationship was going perfect, but in the New Year, everything changed unexpectedly.

That'll be single.

Well, apart from the basics (good looks, sincerity, trust and love), I mainly look for a girl who accepts me for who I am, and who likes videogames
as I do

I've never had any experience in love(to be honest, I've never been kissed) but I think that the key lies in the communication with trust, the couple-friend relationship and in the positive-negative characteristics.

A-The communication must be effective on couples because when handling delicate situations (like talking about past experiences and secrets), the trust will prevent future problems and will establish an effective romantic relationship.

B-The couple-friend relationship is an effective method because when people only follow their feelings, they will have a short relationship, because they will not give themselves time to know each other, and eventually break up.

C- The positive-negative characteristics can help couples to never get bored, because everyday, they will learn something new about his/her couple. Couples with the same characteristics are often to get bored when doing the same things, leading to bored couples.

Love is a species on the blink of extinction.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

I have no thought available for this question.

As mr_pikachu said, I think that Brock might be the only one, but after hes stops having crushes on Officer Jennys and Nurse Joys(I wonder how can he notice differences between then, since they all look the same)

Its an opportunity for pokemon to spend time together, but watch out with the Conquer-all Ditto.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th July 2007, 11:40 PM
I've been waiting for a poll like this.

GENERAL QUESTIONS

It may be a matter of definition, but I had one date once. I have had 3 or 4 bigger crushes, but on the 9th of May 2003 I managed to do something. On that day, the girl agreed to date me the following day. We met in Haapavesi library on the 10th of May but just talked, nothing else. And she never came to the next date we planned. I even bought a mobile telephone connection to 'keep in touch' but that's only how I got to know she had 'another' boyfriend.

Single...

She has to be somewhat special. The one I dated reminded of Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon except that she had a beautiful red (not beautiful blue) hair.

How would I know. I guess you must be active.

It's 'rakkaus' in Finnish language.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

Well it would make more sense if the series had an older target group...or what the, is it a kids' show after all?

I didn't find out what is a canon romance but I don't think there'll be anything too big.

It's quite as exciting as breeding Chocobos in the Final Fantasy games.

firepokemon
8th July 2007, 06:26 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

In real life? A few boyfriends, a few girlfriends (in my real early days)

Dating. Since late 2003

I dunno. I wasn't looking for a partner just found one. Good sex.

Not be romantic. If a relationship is all wishy washy and all sweet kisses and roses it isn't going to last. Also you need to know when to shut your mouth. Beat up your partner playfully and sometimes just agree with what they say and if they start choking make sure you can help them.

Love is not-existant in a way you could say. You can't explain it, its not what you thought it would be, it just exists somehow.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

Its fine I was a shipper, rocket, pallet, and misty and ash. Its kinda dumb really but its fine with me.

???

I wouldn't really know I don't play the games.

Gavin Luper
11th July 2007, 12:03 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Had a high school girlfriend, another kind of casual thing (wouldn't call it a relationship), and right now I have a something. I wouldn't call her my girlfriend though.

Somewhere between single and dating.

Someone I can talk to, someone with a good sense of humour but also a serious side, someone who's actually a nice person in general. Good looks are always a great plus, too, but not as important as the other stuff.

Openness, honesty, understanding or at least trying to.

Pure goodness. Mixed with something else that's completely intangible.

POKÉMONIZED QUESTIONS

I'm not a fan, personally.

It would probably make sense if it did happen, but personally I think they make the show too insipid to explore the concept of a relationship. So probably not.

Ummm ... good for them? I don't have much of an opinion on this one.

SupremeChampion
15th July 2007, 12:47 PM

1.) Yes, I've had a few girlfriends in my day. lol not counting grade school when you had a girlfriend every other week, I've been in 3 serious relationships.
2.) I guess given your choices, I would be dating. I've been with my girlfriend for a year and 3 months now, going on a year and four come this wednesday.
3.) someone who's funny, who can make me laugh and thinks I'm funny. A great personality, and someone with pretty eyes. I think eyes can be the most attractive think a woman has.
4.) honesty and trust. without those things, nothing else matters.
5.) whats love? haha thats a tough one.. well, I'd say love is when you're absolutely crazy about someone. You think about them all the time, and you don't feel completely whole unless you're with them. They can always make you feel better no matter whats got you down, too. and, like Gavin said, its pure goodness mixed with something thats completely intangible.
6.) never been a fan, really. every time I ever looked in that forum, it just looked like a big SPAM-fest. but, I think if modded closely it has potential to be a good forum.
7.) I always thought misty and ash had a real chance, and I think they still do. maybe they'll bring her back again, because I honestly always though they had the best chance to be together.
8.) I was always a fan, though I never really used them. I always thought it was a cool way to get some unique moves on pokémon, or get moves that you would normally have to wait forever to get thru leveling.

~ The Italian Stallion