PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Film 5

Andrew
12th July 2007, 12:38 AM
So... Order of the Phoenix is out...

What did you all think?

Me, it was a good movie. I really wanted to see more of DA's army in action and Umbridge is one of the best villians. Better than Voldemort I feel.

I wanted to see more from the teachers, not to mention the Weasely Mayhem instead of being only being stuck with the Great Hall fireworks.

Still, Luna was a welcome addition and she's wonderfully... doughey.

Goblet of Fire was good too, but what can I say, this one was my favourite book, and it was a darn good movie too.

Gavin Luper
12th July 2007, 03:09 AM
I saw it last night and I loved it. Much better than Goblet of Fire, in my opinion. It played out more like a film than anything else so far, I reckon, and it was easier to pick up on the main themes in this one.

I really liked seeing the DA scenes, though more would've been great. Umbridge was totally evil, as expected. And Luna - she really did fit the part well. Lots of references to Nargles though.

The thing I slightly missed was the lack of Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna and Neville actually duelling in the department of mysteries, but I suppose there wasn't enough time in the film to go into all the different rooms, battle separate death eaters, etc. I really liked the flashbacks though at the end, where the whole "love triumphing over evil" comes into play. It could have been very cheesy but it kind of worked out OK. And Dumbledore's duel was cool.

Also, special effects ++.

... Yeah, what can I say. I really loved this movie. Four stars for me, Margaret.

mistysakura
20th July 2007, 07:11 AM
I enjoyed the film. The start was really rushed, but it's understandable since so much happened before school started in Book 5. I think this film did well with balancing teh action, the plot and all the themes and moral stuff. The different plotlines and messages were interweaved well. My favourite line was the DA :) There were some awesome scenes, like Fred and George flying out and all the prophecies shattering. The Department of Mysteries is by far the coolest setting. Some stuff I didn't like though. The most important, to me, was that Harry asked whether the proprhecy meant one had to killed the other, and dumbledore said yes. OOTP's all about choices, and in the book Dumbledore specifically said Voldemort and Harry could walk away from the prophecy if they so chose. In the film, Harry's bound to the prophecy which destroys the spirit of the whole thing. The other two thingsweree minor; one was having Arthur come home for Christmas (I loved Christmas on the Closed Ward because it was so bittersweet and Voldemort doen't stop for Christmas) and the other was Umbridge issuing heaps of educational decrees on stupid stuff like listening to music and separating boys and girls (I thought that trivialised her control over Hogwarts and made it less political, less about denying Voldemort's existence).

EDIT: I forgot; Luna's awesome.

Shuppet Master
26th July 2007, 01:39 AM
I feel a bit guilty for not seeing the films, I saw the first three. (First two in theaters, then the third on DVD.)

Maybe I'm not liking Voldy's face. He looks hideous. But then, what do you expect from a snake-face? I wish they had worked on giving him fangs, though. His mouth was...eww!

I'll try to see if my mom won't let me rent the Goblet of Fire movie tomorrow.

Zak
26th July 2007, 01:54 AM
I found it okay, except for the fact that there was no Quidditch whatsoever.

Perhaps that was for the better, since there was WAY too much going on in that book. But it was great... by far better than the last one.
Luna was portrayed especially well.

~Zak

ssj4supernerd
26th July 2007, 05:12 AM
Film was good, better than the book but that's not hard to accomplish.

The thing I hated about the film tho, was Sirius's death with Avada Kedavra. Sure, he is really dead, but in the book there's no Avada Kedavra, it's just a spell.(Paralitis, I think)

Weasel Overlord
26th July 2007, 05:09 PM
Yup, you're right, Sirius was only stunned when he fell through the veil. (can you tell I have feverishly read ANY Sirius-living fanfiction on the net? hehe)

I'm gonna be one of the cold-water-pourers in here, as usual. The film WAS better than the rest (urgh, don't get me started) but there was SO much missing! I mean, suuure, they can't fit everything in, I appreciate that. But I wish they wouldn't alter stuff that doesn't need altering.

I was also dissatisfied with Sirius' death, cos the Veil looked kinda... crappy. I wanted a creepy, tattered black curtain, but oh well.

However! The dueling was AWESOME! Sirius rocked. Gary Oldman plays a mean Sirius, I think, and the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort was ace!

I wish there had been quidditch though... I LIKE Weasley is our King...

This film, however, gets thumbs up for Sirius eye-candy. *wanders off in a drooly daze*

Shuppet Master
8th August 2007, 01:06 AM
Finally, I see the film...but I had to go straight there from church mass because my folks didn't want to take me there at the 4:10 showing...

I sold off my copy of OotP before I read it all clearly, but who here feels that Cho Chang was a wonderful character who got shafted in the end? (Raises hand.)

I heard that the movie added in the part where Cho was force-fed Veritaserum and that's how she betrayed the Army, but there was nothing like that in the book. If that's the case, I feel that Rowling was out of bounds and the guys at WB vindicated her.

Now, call me a Cho freak - I do like Asian actresses and I envisioned Cho in the books differently from the sexy girl I saw on screen in GoF and this film, so I blame myself - and I am not a Harry/Cho shipper, I think that in the end Harry graviated to Ginny and her crush became a relationship because they were both Gryffindors, but I believe that Cho's actress played a wonderful role and that first kiss scene was marvelous.

If Jo made it so that Cho ends up "loony" and ends up in St. Mungo's in her adult years, I will lose all faith in her. :(

(PS: No spoilers please. I do intend to re-purchase the OotP book and go over it again.)

Magmar
8th August 2007, 03:30 PM
How the headquarters of the Order was revealed came to pass quite differently from what happened in the movie. The book's plotline stitched together a very intricate plotline for that sequence, but I feel the movie covered it up nicely with its alternate route.

Weasel Overlord
8th August 2007, 05:32 PM
Pleh. I wanted the brain room!! That bit was sooo cool in the book. And that freaky bell-time-jar thinger too. That was funky. And the spinning rooms. Nah, they shoulda put those in! That'd have been much more awesome.

AdventureSerum
8th August 2007, 07:54 PM
Well, I suppose they did well. I wish they would have made it longer instead of chopping of so much of the book. The girl who played Luna was a good actress, but I feel they could have left more of her in the movie and I never really imagined her to be so... bleach blonde. Yeah, and they could have used the thestrels more. I felt they were important in the book, but in the movie they were all like, "Heybythewaydidwementionthisisathestrelkthnxbye". Yeah. And now I have to fight just to imagine the characters added in book five the way they were before I saw the movie.