PDA

View Full Version : Describe attacks

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th July 2007, 12:26 AM
What do you think Pokémon attacks look like in reality?

Post your list here. The ultimate goal of this topic is to collect all the commands.

Tips are shown in the anime and in the games.

Here are some examples by MY:

Solar Beam - The Pokémon takes in sunlight and emits a huge beam. Pokémon like Bulbasaur do this through their plant-like parts?

Splash - The Pokémon moves in water, making it splash?

I'm sure you can do better than me!

AdventureSerum
15th July 2007, 01:15 PM
Splash must be really lame if the battle is happening on dry land... For that matter, using any fish-like Pokemon away from water would probably look downright silly! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't magically float like they do in the Stadium games.

Speaking of how attacks look, I only just recently figured out that Fire Blast is a symbol for fire and not a picture of a little guy... Yeah...

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th July 2007, 05:15 AM
I disagree! It's a character for 'big', I think. The difference between the Chinese (they came from China to Japan, namely) characters for fire and big is:

'Big' is formed by 3 strokes, there are two falling to left and right and thren there's one horizontal,

while

'fire' is formed by 4 strokes, two of them are the same as in 'big' but then there's two a bit smaller strokes on left and right.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th July 2007, 06:44 AM
I guess attacks like Scratch, Bite or Crunch are self-explanatory.

Double Edge I think is a dare-devil shoulder tackle where the attacking Pokémon risks injury to its own shoulder upon impact.

Tail Whip I think is wagging ones tail like a pendulum, maybe giving it a somewhat hypnotic component, distracting the Pokémon effected and opening up a hole in its defense.

AdventureSerum
16th July 2007, 12:37 PM
Ahh, thank you, Mikachu! Well, the point is still there that it's a symbol and not a stick figure guy... It made sense when I was eight..

Unsolved Puzzle
16th July 2007, 12:53 PM
i think that Force palm is a crushing punch, exept with the palm

mr_pikachu
17th July 2007, 07:23 PM
I actually disagree about Tail Whip; I tend to think of it like an animal wagging its bushy tail right in your face. (Maybe a cat, or something.) It doesn't really hurt, but it gets you to look away for a moment - just long enough to be blindsided by a strong attack.

As for Force Palm, it's probably like the palm smash used in "hard" martial arts like Karate and Tae-Kwon-Do (as opposed to "soft" arts like Kung Fu, which rely on evasion and restraint rather than simply dealing damage). But yeah, it could be considered an open-handed punch, I guess.

Unsolved Puzzle
17th July 2007, 09:18 PM
u always thought of tail wip as being, u know wipped by a tail, not really hurting but not feeling plesent

Dragonstar1715
18th July 2007, 04:11 AM
I think pulse bomb is when a pokemon makes a ball of energy or something and if the opponent tries to evade it follows them like a heat seeking missle that's why it always hits

Something similar to what Lucario does in the 8th pokemon movie

Blademaster
18th July 2007, 07:15 AM
What's a 'Pulse Bomb?' :confused:

Dragonstar1715
18th July 2007, 11:05 PM
It's a move that I think can be learned by pokemon like Lucario it's on serebii.net so it's not fake

Unsolved Puzzle
18th July 2007, 11:42 PM
i thought lucario was using shadowball?

Dragonstar1715
19th July 2007, 04:28 AM
No it was Pulse Bomb, but I think the japanese name for it was Aura Sphere

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th July 2007, 04:58 AM
Ahh, thank you, Mikachu! Well, the point is still there that it's a symbol and not a stick figure guy... It made sense when I was eight..

Nice to see I could help. But now that I think of it, to be even more exact, you were both right and wrong because the Chinese hanzi for 'big' comes from a picture of a person with arms stretched, if I remeber correctly!

Blademaster
19th July 2007, 08:49 AM
If anything, the Japanese name is Pulse Bomb. Aura Sphere is a highly-exclusive attack (learnable only by Mewtwo, Mew, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Lucario, and Togekiss) on serebii.net; Pulse Bomb is listed nowhere there.

Dragonstar1715
19th July 2007, 04:52 PM
Oh okay I must've looked at it the wrong way then

ssj4supernerd
20th July 2007, 05:02 AM
Absorb: You spread out a part of your body or make yourself bigger and use a power to take some HP from the enemy. Due to that, they take damage.

Acid: Now, this also looks like a differing one. For instance, Ekans spits out Acid, but I can see Pokemon like Cradily use their vines. That glows purple and the acids get spit out. Ekans's was described in the anime.

Acid Armor: The pokemon make their body liquid, or spray themself(thats what Vaporeon does I think) and so, their body grows harder, making their Defense bigger.

Acupressure: They pressure some part of their body (For Speed to increase for example, they would target their feet) making it stronger or better, so it probably looks like they are concentrating, making that part look bigger aswell.

Aerial Ace: The pokemon flies upward an races towards the enemy, suddenly making a speedy turn and slashing from upper-right to lower-left.

More as I think of them.

Kurotanuki
23rd July 2007, 08:42 AM
sky uppercut: Jumps up and kicks the opponent.

Flamethrower: spits a huge jet of flame from the mouth

Fly: ...fly. What else?

wake-up slap: multiple slaps on both cheeks.

I think.

Blademaster
23rd July 2007, 11:55 AM
sky uppercut: Jumps up and kicks the opponent.

An uppercut isn't a kick - it's a punch thrust upward, say to the bottom of the chin, the sternum, or the nose.

Dragonstar1715
23rd July 2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah it would probably look like something out of Street Fighter (lol Ken)

Kurotanuki
23rd July 2007, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah. >.<

street fighter lol. Now that you say it...

mach punch: A fast-initiated punch

lol.