PDA

View Full Version : Standby prob

Roarkiller
18th July 2007, 11:01 AM
It's not that big a problem since I seldom use the function, but it's been othering me.

WinXP has a standby function, and you usually bring it back to life by pressing any key or via the mouse.

Thing is, mine comes to life IMMEDIATELY after it goes to standby mode i.e. it's impossible to stay in standby mode for longer than a second.

Just wondering what's wrong.

Chris
18th July 2007, 04:32 PM
How old is the computer?

Roarkiller
20th July 2007, 11:45 PM
How old is the computer?

Really? No idea. Here's a hint though; the 3.2G P4 wasn't even released yet.

homeofmew
22nd July 2007, 05:06 PM
It doesn't sound like a big problem.
You can always just turn your monitor off at night if you are leaving your computer on.

Roarkiller
23rd July 2007, 12:34 AM
Which is a waste of energy. I don't leave my PC on overnight unless I'm running some CPU-intensive programs like video-rendering.

My PC here boots up slow, and frequent usage during the day dictates that standby mode is the best option. Turning off the monitor just prevents you from seeing anything; the computer itself is still eating juice.

Chris
23rd July 2007, 08:47 AM
Really? No idea. Here's a hint though; the 3.2G P4 wasn't even released yet.

WinXP has trouble supporting some of the power states (particularly standby) with really old motherboards. It seems that your motherboard must be fairly recent though so that can't be a problem.

Try using a different keyboard and mouse if you have any spare ones available (or if a friend can loan you one for a few minutes).

Roarkiller
24th July 2007, 12:41 AM
Tried them, didn't work. To be honest, I don't think 7-odd years have been kind to the computer. It's had waves upon waves of viruses and junk and crashes, and it has never ever been reformatted before.

Unfortunately, when it comes to doing basic jobs, it does fine, so there's no way we're getting it replaced.

Me thinks it's time I get a pc of my own. Anyone knows of a good mATX that supports quad-core? Duo-core's good too though, but at least one that can run the E6600.

And maybe I can get a copy of WinXP cheap somewhere. I ain't getting Vista yet.