PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Fall of the Idols

mr_pikachu
27th July 2007, 10:17 PM
Let's run through some recent news, shall we?

In September of last year Paris Hilton was arrested for driving under the influence, and in January her license was suspended as a result. She was given a fine and 36 months probation for that charge. Nonetheless, she was caught driving with her suspended license once in January and again in February. She was later sentenced to 45 days in prison. Despite an initial legal battle (during which the Los Angeles Sheriff transferred her to her home for a period of house arrest), she eventually served 22 days before being released on the grounds of good behavior.

Lindsay Lohan's unusual past goes back further (although not quite as much as Hilton's infamous tape). In 2005 the actress/singer had a total of three car accidents. The first of these almost resulted in a lawsuit, and police said they believed the second was intentional on her part. 2006 brought more trouble, as the taping of Georgia Rule was delayed because she checked into a hospital for what her publicist described as "heat exhaustion."

But this year has been the most eventful of all for Lohan. In January she checked into rehab and attended regular Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, though she continued to deny being an addict. In May, she struck a curb in her car and was found with a "usable" amount of cocaine. She was charged with a DUI, entered rehab, and was given a court date of August 24. But on July 24, Lohan's personal assistant reported that she was being chased by a white GMC. The assistant and Lohan were soon found having a "heated debate" in a nearby parking lot. Lohan was again over the legal limit to drive, and she again had cocaine. She has now been charged with felony counts of cocaine possession and transfer of a narcotic.

Britney Spears has hardly avoided this unsavory spotlight. On February 16, she entered a drug rehab facility and stayed for less than 24 hours. She shaved her hair the following night and admitted herself to another rehab center February 20. After leaving briefly, she returned on the 22nd and stayed through March 20 having "successfully completed their program." A few days ago (July 24), she broke down during a photo shoot. No pictures or video have been released, but a few personal accounts have leaked regarding the incident.

Remember Paris Hilton? Her partner on The Simple Life, Nicole Richie, is not immune to the current trend. She's just been sentenced to 90 hours in jail and orders to attend drug and alcohol rehab for her own DUI incident in December 2006.

And I'm hardly going to just pick on the ladies. Anyone who follows professional sports should know all about the current scandals. Whether it's Michael Vick being charged as part of a dogfighting ring, Michael Rasmussen being removed from the Tour de France while leading the race (and Floyd Landis being stripped of his title last year for using performance-enhancing drugs), continuing suspicion of steroid abuse by baseball players in particular (including the soon-to-be all-time home run leader, Barry Bonds), or similar cheating scandals running all the way to such innocuous sports as golf, the heroes of couch potatoes everywhere are continually breaking the rules and the law to get what they want.

This is all a very complicated way of asking a few simple questions.

1. Why do so many of us succumb to an obsession with these stars?

2. Will the recent scandals disenchant us with them? If so, to what will our focus be diverted? If not... well, what will come of this situation?

3. Many have claimed that the legal system gives extra leeway to celebrities. Is that still the case? Or has the balance shifted in recent months or years?

So, yeah. Lots of stuff to discuss, including plenty of things outside the bounds of those three tiny topics. Have at it!

Note: All facts taken from either Yahoo! or Wikipedia. I didn't feel like adding several dozen links, but feel free to search these people on either site if you feel like confirming the validity of my post.

DarkTemplarZero
29th July 2007, 11:45 PM
Well, first of all the legal system gives lots of leeway to people who are outrageously rich. People with that much money can afford to get a lawyer like Tony Montana's in Scarface, who's good at putting a reasonable doubt in the minds of the jury and such. Just look at OJ, if he didn't have millions of dollars to throw at his lawyers, if he was just an average guy, he'd have been executed by now.

And as for why people look up to them, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City put it best; "without gross symbols of excess, what will Americans have to look up to?" There will always be people who look up to that I suppose, and no amount of legal issues will change that.

RedStarWarrior
30th July 2007, 12:49 AM
Idols? Hardly...I'd rather look up to people that do good things.

Magmar
30th July 2007, 01:03 AM
Don't forget Anna Nicole Smith's death. Was that this year?

I don't care for "idols". I'm an idol more than any combination of them.

RedStarWarrior
30th July 2007, 01:32 AM
Indeed you are...at least you have morals.

Magi of all
30th July 2007, 02:24 AM
the Fall of the Idols implies that they even had some where to fall from.

Paris Hilton had a sex tape and the Simple Life. Not exactally a high pedistal.

Lohan had a bit farther to fall, but in the end, there are better idols out there who still lead good lives. Like Samuel L Jackson.

On the topic of sports, I believe were only a few years away from legal steroids, just because prevention and persecution is so hard.

Magmar
30th July 2007, 11:20 AM
Paris Hilton can have a sex tape if she wants to. Free world. =P

Haha oh yeah, I have so many high standards and morals. Just look at my thread in this forum! haha.

Roarkiller
30th July 2007, 11:42 PM
To be honest, I don't give a damn about them, since to me, everyone's equal, and in the end, everyone's still only human.

I don't believe in Idols anyhow.

I can't comment on the legal system, not being an American, but it's true that the more money and fame you have, the better your chances, simply because the judge and jury (especially jury) have the wrath of the public and press to face, and I'm not even touching on their lawyers yet.

Would be nice if the legal system there was like it was here in parts of Asia, where they don't give a damn about your status and throw you in jail all the same.

I only pity people like Lohan for not having a good role model. From what I heard, her mother is a hard party animal herself. Not to mention the people in the industry themselves, stupid adults.

RedStarWarrior
31st July 2007, 06:49 AM
The media has made a habit out of chastising faulty celebrities lately, not supporting them. I, for one, don't want to hear about them. If they do something wrong, punish them accordingly, but don't air constant specials on television about it.

Chris 2.1
1st August 2007, 03:58 PM
Its because they have money. They've got the money to do what they want (release 'Stars are Blind', for example *shudder*, or make their own shows) and they can get whatever they want. If they want to make a perfume, they can. If they want to act in a film, they can. It's that sense of influence that I think make them idols. I think many people who have a tough job yearn to be in a position where they don't need to work. People with low self confidence envy these people who make a tshirt and sweat pants look cool. Alcoholics probably covet the way these idols can evade being arrested for drink driving.

I dunno. On paper they are comfortable financially etc; they can go to any club, buy any car, probably get any guy they want. You don't look at Paris and think "oh it must be hard for her without morals and a solid relationship founded on love" you think "damn I want my own perfume!!"

Or something. I dunno. I'm going to bed.