PDA

View Full Version : Help with move set

Magi of all
14th August 2007, 04:08 PM
I want to re work the move set of my main battleing team in Fire Red. Any advice.

Pokemon

Charizard
Flamethrower
Blast Burn
Slash
Dragon Claw

Pidgeot
Fly
Aerial Ace
Steel Wing
Feather Dance

Raichu
Thunderblot
Thunder
Slam
Rain Dance

Golem (has Rock Head)
Earthquake
Rollout
Brick Break
Strength (To be replaced with Double Edge)

Kingdra
Blizzard
Hydro Pump
Surf
Twister

Snorlax
Focus Punch
Hyper Beam
Rest
Body Slam

mr_pikachu
14th August 2007, 05:04 PM
Hmm. It's not too bad of a lineup overall; I don't see any 3x weaknesses offhand, so that's a good start. Might be a little wary of Ground moves with both Golem and Raichu (since the former is 4x weak and Earthquake is pretty common), but other than that you look to be in good shape.

You individual Pokemon could use some work, though. Charizard, for starters, doesn't need Blast Burn. Flamethrower's good enough, and Blast Burn isn't a very good attack anyway. The only one of those special starter moves that makes any sense is Frenzy Plant, to be honest, and that's just because your only alternatives are either really weak (Razor Leaf, Giga Drain, etc.) or have similar detriments (Solarbeam). I like EQ here to give you a recourse against Electric and Rock types; besides, it's almost a broken move anyway. Another alternative is Swords Dance to boost the Physical moves you already have. To be fair, Charizard has a higher Attack than Sp. Attack, but one Fire move could still be a worthwhile tech with STAB.

Drop Fly from Pidgeot. Plain and simple, it's not a battling move. Aerial Ace does more damage more quickly with a beneficial effect rather than a risky 2-turn attack. I'm not big on Speed manipulation, but Featherdance still seems fine. The only problem with Pidgeot is that your options are very limited... maybe give it Return over Fly.

Now, Raichu. It's rather risky to have one Pokemon try to use both Rain Dance and Thunder; you often won't have time, and the benefit isn't enough for losing a turn with Raichu. Remember that its defenses are horrid, so it may not survive and extra move - you need it to sweep, not set up! If you put Dance on Kingdra (we'll look at that later), you might consider keeping Thunder. Otherwise, drop it and keep T-Bolt. And either way, Rain Dance may not be a good idea. That said, your options are again limited... if you're dropping Dance and an Electric move (Slam should really go as well, probably for Return), you could try maybe Brick Break and Iron Tail, or something. You might possibly throw in Hyper Beam if you think you'll know when Raichu's finished. The lack of good moves makes Raichu difficult to raise, but it is possible.

Golem seems pretty good. My one concern is with Rollout, as there a number of types that will absolutely kill a Rock/Ground Pokemon; Rollout gives a perfect opportunity for a switch, and you don't want that. But you have plenty of alternatives: Rock Slide's another good Rock move, and Protect could be worthwhile if you're afraid of a 4x effective hit.

Ice Beam over Blizzard on Kingdra. Like Flamethrower and Fire Blast, the accuracy makes up for it being weaker. Hydro Pump is unnecessary alongside Surf, so drop it for... Body Slam, maybe? Paralysis is fun. Or maybe a status move like Attract, so that you don't have to worry about Attack EVs. Not sure there. But Twister's just not very strong. Replacing it with something like Rain Dance will speed up Kingdra and give you options with Raichu.

I simply don't like Hyper Beam on Snorlax; Body Slam is more than enough. Focus Punch might be risky, unless you combo it with something like Yawn. And any tactic that infuriates your opponent can't be bad. On the other hand, you could try Sleep Talk instead to work with Rest, or even Snore for a sure-fire attack. I kind of like Sleep Talk + Rest + 2 attacks, so you could use Body Slam and something like Brick Break, Shadow Ball, EQ... you've got options here. There are a lot of things you can do with Snorlax to keep your opponents guessing, so have fun!

One last thing. Some of the advice I gave ended up sort of turning your Pokemon into split sweepers rather than choosing Physical or Special. (Kinda threw this together while on the phone, you see.) That may not be preferable, so keep that in mind when you're figuring out your moves.

Good luck with your team!

EDIT: *looks at Phoenixsong's post*

Yeah, this is what happens when I try to analyze a team while multitasking. But you get the point. ^_^;;

Phoenixsong
14th August 2007, 05:25 PM
...uh, Featherdance lowers Attack, not Speed, and Charizard's SA (109) is far greater than its Attack (84), dude. :) Slash is the odd move out there, not the other special ones. The problem is its lack of special moves until D/P (with Dragon Pulse, Solarbeam, etc.), not a poor stat.

Uh, well, mr_pikachu already said most of what I would say... basically, just remember that having two attacks of the same type on a Pokémon is generally a bad idea because you're limiting your options. I suppose you can keep Fly if this is an ingame team, though, as you'll need something that knows it anyway.