PDA

View Full Version : Various Move Questions

Fai D. Flowright
16th August 2007, 07:58 AM
So, while I was working on my Eevee team, a number of questions came up in regards to the effects, base powers, and other features of moves in the game.

First, Assurance. In a singles battle, if Assurance goes second, can it's Base Power be doubled (as per it's effect) by colateral damage incurred from recoil or confusion?

Second, Attract. Here's the situation: a male Pokemon uses Attract on a female Pokemon. The male uses Baton Pass to then transfer other improvements to another Pokemon. If the incoming Pokemon is a female, does Attract still carry over?

Third, Natural Gift. What berries have what effect on this move? Anything worth while?

Fourth, Trump Card. What are the Base Power numbers of Trump Card through it's 5 PP stages of attack?

Thanks muchly for the help on these!

mr_pikachu
16th August 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Attract wouldn't carry over. Baton Pass transfers stat changes, not status effects. So just as a Pokemon sent out with Baton Pass wouldn't, say, become confused, it could not become infatuated by Baton Pass' effect either.

As for the others... *shrugs sheepishly*

Poryhedron
17th August 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure Attract wouldn't carry over. Baton Pass transfers stat changes, not status effects. So just as a Pokemon sent out with Baton Pass wouldn't, say, become confused, it could not become infatuated by Baton Pass' effect either.

As for the others... *shrugs sheepishly*

You've got it backwards there. Here's the situation Fai's talking about:

A male Girafarig uses Attract on a Jynx (female.) Then the Girafarig uses Baton Pass to transfer, oh, Idunno, maybe an Agility or two, to a female Magmar. The Agility transfers, obviously, but does Jynx remain infatuated? This is plausible because an Ariados can use Spider Web on an enemy and then Baton Pass control of the Spider Web to a teammate, leaving the enemy unable to run or switch despite the fact that Ariados is no longer on the field.

RattataGuy
17th August 2007, 01:43 PM
You can't "pass on" Attract because the effect goes away if either the user or the target leaves the battle in any way. In that regard, and borrowing Pory's example for my own purposes, it's more like Mean Look than Spider Web.

Natural Gift chart from the wiki (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natural_gift)

Also, the berrydex on Legendary Pokemon has comprehensive data, including Natural Gift effect. And the individual berry entries on Veekun's site have pretty much the same thing as well.

Trump Card power progression (snagged from Veekun (http://veekun.com/)'s)
5+ PP 40 power
4 PP 50 power
3 PP 60 power
2 PP 75 power
1 PP 190 power

My little bit of research didn't turn up any specific answer for Assurance. But I'm guessing that any sort damage would make it's effect kick in. I'm still looking, however.

Fai D. Flowright
18th August 2007, 03:27 AM
Thank you sooo much, RG! ^_^ That helps a LOT on those... Talk about nice power on Trump Card's last attack there... *begins plotting...*

As for the Attract question, thanks for clearing up my example Pory. ^^; Since, not only do trapping moves transfer over, but I've also witnessed Confusion being BPed first hand. That's why I brought up the question of BPing infatuation to a Pokemon that doesn't match the proper gender any more. Perhaps it's something to bring up in the Mythbuster's thread? I'll try experimenting a bit on it (and Assurance) myself too...

Thanks again! ^_^

Andrew
18th August 2007, 03:46 AM
I had Perish Song BPed and died a horrible death :(

Negrek
20th August 2007, 12:19 AM
First, Assurance. In a singles battle, if Assurance goes second, can it's Base Power be doubled (as per it's effect) by colateral damage incurred from recoil or confusion?
Yes.

If the incoming Pokemon is a female, does Attract still carry over?
No, never. The gender of the incoming pokémon is irrelevant.

The others have been answered.

Charles Legend
23rd August 2007, 08:50 PM
Ok here the deal with I quickly thought my male Ambipom Attract and then got in to a fight with a wild Staravia and used Attract on her then had Mr. Slaps Baton bass to my Female Salamence and the Staravia just used wing attack on her with out saying she was still being effected by Attract, nor did it work when I baton passed to my male Staraptor… so long story short you can’t batton pass over Attract…. ;)

~Charles Legend

Fai D. Flowright
24th August 2007, 11:21 AM
Alright! Thanks so much, guys! That really helps.

Going on with the Assurance thing, what would you think of an annoyer (with Confuse Ray/Swagger and maybe Toxic?) with Assurance for doubled-up damage when confusion is evil to them?

Fai D. Flowright
9th November 2007, 10:34 PM
Ok, in making my new competitive team, I have a new move question...

How exactly does Gravity effect the battle field. How many battlers does it effect? Does it stay in effect if either pokemon switches out?

Thanks lots! ^_^

Phoenixsong
10th November 2007, 03:31 AM
Gravity is more or less a weather effect. It affects all Pokémon in play--whether that is two or four--and lasts for five turns unless something cancels it (and I don't believe anything can). The same applies to Trick Room, in case you were wondering (though it doesn't quite apply to Tailwind, which does not affect the opponent... it'd be kinda pointless if it did, eh?). Though they're not as common as Trick Room teams or other weather teams (which aren't *that* common to begin with due to typing issues/screw ups), teams based around Gravity do exist and work quite well, from what I hear.

Negrek
10th November 2007, 12:09 PM
How exactly does Gravity effect the battle field.
It causes all flying, electrolevitating, and levitating pokémon to lose their immunity to ground-type attacks. This also allows fliers and levitators to be hit by spikes or toxic spikes upon a switch-in. It also prevents the use of bounce, fly, jump kick, and high jump kick. If fly or bounce are in progress when the attack is used, the flying/bouncing pokémon are returned to earth without dealing damage. It also lowers the evasion of all pokémon on the field by two levels, with the result that all attacks with 75% accuracy or above become 100% accurate.

DarkestLight
11th November 2007, 11:03 AM
Can we see that Negrek already has worked out some suitable counters to Gravity, lol xD

Fai D. Flowright
11th November 2007, 06:25 PM
Hmmm..... So using Gravity effects everything and everyone that goes into and out of the battle field in the next 5 turns.....

Blast. That means having anyone on your team that is flying/levitating kills their use as an Anti-Earthquake pokemon.....at least, it does for the 5 turns Gravity is in effect..... right?

DarkestLight
11th November 2007, 10:13 PM
Correct Fai. Its just like swapping in and out of Trick Room, everything that comes in and out of it is affected.