PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2007: Silly Yanks hittin' each other

Drago
28th August 2007, 07:36 AM
Well, nobody else was taking the reins, and I figured it's already week 3 of the preseason, let's russle up a little bit of NFL discussion, eh??

I was just peering over last year's NFL topic, and cunningly noted that I was correct in my assumption that the Colts would hit the Superbowl... so what's in Drago's crystal ball this year, hmm? I don't know yet. It's out of commission, just gimme a little while, while we observe other facts and fun!

I know y'all prolly don't wanna hear much more about it, but I may as well open the topic on Michael Vick. His days as a Falcon are done, and his career is in jeopardy, but most important of all, that man needs to really sort out his life. I'm not in the pro-Vick camp, but I'm not one of the ones crying for the full five-year sentence. I'm still yet to formulate an opinion on this one, really. 18 months behind bars sounds reasonable, but then all matters of ethics spring forth; does 18 months really fairly equate to six years of animal cruelty? The man will re-emerge into the bright sunny world, those dogs will not...

So thrilled that Daunte Culpepper's found a squad in the Raiders; the word around Oakland is that McCown is still the favourite to start, but honestly, what has he ever done in his career that's indicative he's much good? Pep may be a has-been, but McCown seems like a never-was to me. JaMarcus is not gonna be ready to start at any point this year. From what I've been told, he's none too bright; the speed of the NFL will take some time to sink in, particularly with his late start.

Lance Briggs ditching his crashed vehicle - classy, no? Briggs just continues to show his character, and not in a good way.

In other news, Chris Claiborne signed with the Jags... HOORAY!! I wish Claiboy could find a team he could stick with, I kinda like him. Of course, I dunno much about his history or character, but the in-game footage always seemed to show he was alright on the field.

And finally, Titans thoughts!! We've been a bit better than expected this preseason, and Vince pulled out a nice game vs. the Bills... how does the season look? Bright, I have to say. I was all jittery when the offseason cuts happened, but now we're starting to look pretty solid in places where we hadn't been before (Run D on the Titans? I remember that!!). I hope Eric Moulds pans out - we needed a vet with good hands and Keyshawn ran away scared, Moulds should fill an invaluable role as a safe option for Vince on the move.

So discuss what you must! Predict what you shall! And herald in a grand new year of the NF'inL!

mr_pikachu
28th August 2007, 01:14 PM
It's interesting, looking at the Vick case. There have been lots of charges that this is an example of racism; that is, minority athletes get harsher penalties, whether in the courts or in other institutions, than whites. After hearing some things in the debate, I'm inclined to agree... but not in the sense you might expect. Frankly, I think that whatever sentence is handed down here, even if it's the full five years, is probably legitimate. And I think that regardless of race, anyone who's done the same thing should be punished every bit as harshly. The way I see it, it's not that minorities are hit too hard; it's that whites aren't hit hard enough.

(An interesting aspect of this is that I'm hearing things about some athletes that I never realized before... makes you wonder if half the problem is the publicity of certain cases. If people don't know about what some people have done, how can we expect any public outcry, much less anger on the level that Vick's actions have inspired?)

I dunno. That's my two cents, and I'm sure I've said something more controversial than I intended. Oh well. In any event, I hope nobody is stupid enough to draft Vick in their fantasy leagues. Not naming any leagues in particular, but... I'm sure there are some really good ones around.

(Must... resist... temptation... to... advertise...)

*grits teeth*

Mr.E
28th August 2007, 10:15 PM
So thrilled that Daunte Culpepper's found a squad in the Raiders; the word around Oakland is that McCown is still the favourite to start, but honestly, what has he ever done in his career that's indicative he's much good? Pep may be a has-been, but McCown seems like a never-was to me.

Here it is, the season's on the line, two receivers left and right! McCown... takes the snap! He steps up, he's all by himself, fires into the endzoooone...

TOUCH... TOUCHDOWN! NO! NO! The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs!

Ironically against Culpepper, too.

Drago
29th August 2007, 12:25 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/Squidomar/mre.jpg
I miss Photoshop. Paint makes for a poor Fatality. Anyhow, that was January 2004, if I'm not mistaken? Vikings loss to Cards allowed the Packers to slip into the playoffs, if memory serves. Seemed really cool at the time, but now it's come back to bite me in the ass. I still reckon Pep's the man for Oaktown, though.

...And to make things worse, Chris Claiborne got cut. I mean seriously, what an awful day.

Alright kids, first week is coming up, so who ya got?
I'm keeping a close eye on Saints @ Colts, not only to watch a team I like hopefully topple a division rival I despise, but to see if Marques Colston pans out for me in fantasy.

I reckon at least one team is going to break the 30-point barrier (I've been fed too much high-octane offense talk to believe otherwise), but tragically I reckon it'll be the Colts, with a late TD to seal the victory late in the 4th.

kendawg528
7th September 2007, 07:04 AM
Well, i guess the Saints/Colts game wasn't as of an offensive showing as most people thought. I didn't get to see the game, but if anyone who did tell me wtf was going on with the whole Saints offense? Their stats looked like something I'd see from the tampa bay bucs last year.

Drago
7th September 2007, 05:23 PM
Colts D were flying to the ball, they were just closing in on everything the Saints threw out there. Plus, Payton played right into the Colts' strengths, under-utilizing Deuce between the tackles and trying too much Reggie. Brees kept dumping balls off short, came close to breaking the record for lowest yards per completion. Not pretty.

EDIT: Hey, I was right about Colts breaking 30.

Roy Karrde
9th September 2007, 03:15 PM
Green bay game was freaking godly! Best.Game.Of.The.YEAR!

mr_pikachu
13th September 2007, 12:58 AM
Okay, so it seems the Pats were playing a little dirty last week. How harshly should they be punished for using video to steal signals? And how hard should we laugh at the Jets for letting them do it?

Roy Karrde
13th September 2007, 01:15 AM
From what I hear it isnt just using video, there is also questions coming up about them trying to tap into the Jets private radio frequency. What I am wondering is how long this has gone, I mean there are rumors that they tried to do this back in Green Bay last year. So I'm wondering how far has this gone, back to their Super Bowl Wins? Were those wins even legit?

mr_pikachu
25th September 2007, 03:29 PM
Canadian bank demands $2 million in lawsuit against Michael Vick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vicklawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Evidently, this wasn't a good time for Vick to get thrown in the pen. (No pun intended... okay, maybe a little pun intended.) Think this'll cause him any further problems when he tries to make a comeback five years from now?

EDIT: Oh, and did anyone else see the Chiefs' mascot body slam that guy who ran onto the field? That was awesome.

Mr.E
25th September 2007, 06:41 PM
How 'bout dem Cowboys?

Roy Karrde
25th September 2007, 06:55 PM
How 'bout dem Cowboys?

Quoted for Mother Fucking Truth!

mr_pikachu
29th September 2007, 01:24 AM
Jets ticket holder sues Patriots and coach Belichick, seeks damages of more than $184 million (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApaHG1F4WIgt3p0kE.diLwhDubYF?slug=ap-jetsfan-patriotslawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Apparently when he bought his ticket, he didn't read the fine print: "Game may be licensed by the WWE."

...Aw, c'mon! That was funny!

Roy Karrde
29th September 2007, 01:39 AM
That is so freaking stupid, but really it seems all sports are having this problem, with the NFL and taping or the NBA and the refs cheating. Anyway the Patriots scare the hell out of me, but I cant wait till they come to Big D in two weeks.

kainashi
29th September 2007, 08:28 AM
That is so freaking stupid, but really it seems all sports are having this problem, with the NFL and taping or the NBA and the refs cheating. Anyway the Patriots scare the hell out of me, but I cant wait till they come to Big D in two weeks.that might be a decent game but new england has looked unstoppable so far this season. :(

Mr.E
29th September 2007, 01:54 PM
Ellis is supposedly 50/50 for this week and Newman should be back to full strength by then. The defense will continue to improve and improve (and they have been alreadY) and D WARE is going to ball on Tom Brady's chin.

Ghost
30th September 2007, 08:39 AM

LETS GO GIANTS!

*runs*

Roy Karrde
30th September 2007, 02:35 PM
D Ware is a freaking beast, and I mean a FREAKING BEAST! Not to mention Tony Romo is having a God like Day!

Drago
1st October 2007, 07:42 AM
How 'bout dat Brett? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802d01ef&template=with-video&confirm=true)
We knew it was coming, but how does it feel for y'all? Any different at all? Though I'll be over it tomorrow, I'm pretty satisfied with it for now. Though the media praises Favre as though the sun shines out of his rear, I still like him as a player. Two years ago I thought he was done, last year I thought he was bowing out on a fairly positive note, and now here he is, the TD king, and a nifty 4-0 for the year.

Feels so much better than when Peyton got the single-season TD record. That was a filthy nasty feeling by all accounts.

Roy Karrde
8th October 2007, 11:02 PM
COWBOYS WIN COWBOYS WIN! GREATEST F'ING COME BACK EVAR!

kendawg528
10th October 2007, 11:12 PM
i know i'm a die hard giants fan but...that monday night game was such a fantastic game that there was no other way it could end except for with the bears winning...wow.

p.s. eli manning - the new rex grossman?

Roy Karrde
11th October 2007, 01:29 AM
Alright this is just too funny to pass up. We all know how badly Tony Romo did on Monday's game, throwing six interceptions.

Well Russ Martin, a very very popular radio show host here in DFW bet money on the game. Becuase of the interceptions he lost the money becuase it didn't cover the spread. So he was out 615 dollars.

Anyway yesterday he found out Tony Romo was doing a promotion for the same radio station at a hotel. So after the show he drove out there and heckled in the crowd. Saying things like

"Give me my Cash" Becuase he believes Tony Romo should give him back the money he lost on the bet.

Oh but it doesn't stop there. Akin Adel, a defensive linemen showed up on stage half way through, leading Russ to yell out more things like

"Akin bust his ass for my money"

"Shut your ass Brady ( The host of the Tony Romo Show ) and get my money!"

And my favorite.

"Kick him in the balls for my cash"

Mr.E
12th October 2007, 12:46 AM
Five and a fumble. ;(

Drago
4th November 2007, 10:49 PM
Adrian Peterson > World (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG9&game_id=29315)
Crazy old me, with Peterson behind Chester Taylor on the depth chart and the Lions' pass-happy offense, I picked Calvin Johnson to take OROY. Adrian has done nothing but prove me wrong, I knew he'd be good... just not that good. If Minnesota can get some consistency at the QB position (hello '08 draft...) they could really do some damage.
...And this must've been a damn fun game to watch, because on the other side Antonio Cromartie returned a missed field goal 109 yards for the new NFL record longest play.

Meanwhile, my Titans are quietly 6-2, now a game ahead of the Jags and (though none of you noticed) only a single game behind your holier-than-thou Colts, fresh off a loss (albeit a respectable one) to the stormin' Patriots, who appear unstoppable this year, though I do not foresee them going 16-0 (they're bound to tail off towards the playoffs. Just bound to). But I digress. Vince has been pretty bad this year (sophomore slump, NOT the Madden Curse, I assure you), LenDale has really banged out the hard yards, and we actually play defence again. Woo!

Sure, the Titans are a forgotten team in the AFC, but we're playoff-bound. Book it. How deep we'll get is a matter I'm less confident about, unless we can start really clicking on O.
...And dump Ben Troupe, who has broken my heart for the last time.

Master Rudy
5th November 2007, 02:15 AM
Vince has been pretty bad this year (sophomore slump, NOT the Madden Curse, I assure you)

Curse already hit him this year. Didn't he get injured vs. the bucs in week 6? :P

Drago
8th November 2007, 04:07 AM
Only enough to take him out for one game. If that's the worse the curse will dish out for #10... I'll take it.
Though honestly his lacklustre performance is really enough to call curse. Suddenly, Vince doesn't know how to run? Something's up with that.

kainashi
27th November 2007, 09:44 AM
MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday, a day after the Pro Bowl player was shot at home by what police say was an intruder. He was 24.
source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129406)rest in peace. you'll be missed, buddy. :(

Drago
30th November 2007, 03:01 AM
It's an absolute tragedy to have befallen this talented young man.

What do I know about Sean Taylor the person? Very little. But I am damn sure I admired him on the field. So what if he missed tackles? He hit HARD, and that's what people wanna see. He was developing quickly this year, too. He was gonna be special.

I'm frustrated to see this life go to waste, so young, and with so bright a future. My prayers are with his family, particularly his child.
Rest in peace, Sean Taylor. You will not be forgotten.

Of the two most important streaks in football this year, one of them (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG15&game_id=29408) ended today.
I admit, I like fancy new achievements, and I would've found it incredibly neat (and evidence of a lack of parity) how in the one year one team could go 16-0 and another 0-16, and in the same division no less.
Whatever. From here, whatever the Dolphins do it'll just be a terrible, Raiders-like season, nothing for the history books (they didn't even match the Bucs' 0-14 for crying out loud). As for the Pats, they only managed a 20-10 victory over the Jets... Is their engine finally running out of steam?

Also, Titans win and a Bills loss puts them behind us, but to the Browns no less, who are still a game ahead... Urg, what a tense couple weeks it's a-gonna be for fans of the wildcard contenders!!

Booyeah bazooka! I'd now like to share a high-five with fans of any of the other eleven teams privileged to have made it into the playoffs!!
...'cept Chargers fans. Y'all can eat our dust this Sunday (Monday for me...)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and apparently the Patriots broke multiple records (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8058c459&template=with-video&confirm=true) as they achieved the league's first 16-0 regular season (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29435&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG17). But so what? Titans! Yayzors.

EDIT: Noted, Red.
EDIT2: Red smells. :P I love editing posts six months later. Ooga booga!

RedStarWarrior
2nd January 2008, 05:17 AM
Go Redskins!!

PS...stop double posting. Edit is there for a reason. I don't care about the necroing this time.