PDA

View Full Version : Is there a such thing as having a global internet connection

Silver Ledian
8th September 2007, 07:17 PM
Hey,

Next week I'm going to Spain for a year. I could just get someone out there to install a connection for me but I was wondering whether there was a such thing as a global internet connection...kinda like, is there any way I can be online no matter where I go in the world? Like can I stick something into my USB port which would enable me to be online all the time no matter where I am?

I see people in Starbucks all the time on their laptops and I'm like 'how do you get an internet connection here?'. Do they pay their ISP to be online 24/7 or do places like Starbucks just have their own signal that allows you to go wireless lol?

I know this probably sounds stupid but I'm no computer expert.

mr_pikachu
8th September 2007, 07:26 PM
There may be more than one way to do it, but I know that there are some cards that you can plug into laptops which allow you to connect using a cell phone connection. Basically, anywhere you can get a signal on your phone, you can connect to the web. I'm pretty sure Cingular has one, and other companies may offer them as well. The connection speed obviously varies depending on your location and signal strength, and they can be pretty expensive, but such devices are fairly effective for people who are travel a lot with their laptops.

Drusilla
8th September 2007, 08:17 PM
It doesn't sound stupid... Cingular, now part of the AT&T network (the AT&T logo looks like the Death Star! Seriously, go look!), does have a wireless network like that, as does Verison. As for coverage... I know one of them has a business cell plan that has almost global coverage, so I wouldn't be surprised if their wireless coverage is international as well. It's probably pretty pricey, though...