PDA

View Full Version : Madeleine L'Engle dies at 88

Drusilla
9th September 2007, 04:02 PM
Article on MSN.com (http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=274750&GT1=7701&)

I know I can't be the only one around here that grew up reading her books... I loved the Wrinkle in Time series and I read A Ring of Endless Light at some point. They were so beautifully written, and I remember them even now, unlike most of the books I read before I was 10. My favorite of hers was Many Waters, I think... This will probably bring me back to read them all over again. She was such an influential author, it's a shame that most kids these days know little or nothing about her. I think that everyone should at least try to read one of her books at some point; they're so very thought provoking, it's wonderful.

Anyway... any other favorites out there? Thoughts?

Phoenixsong
9th September 2007, 06:36 PM
Hm. I never read any of L'Engle's work, sadly... not because I didn't know about her, I just... never did. I probably should, really... not that I'll ever have time.

Shame, though. I know her works are considered classics, and she'll be sorely missed. Kids these days need to read more classic books, and not just the ones that are being raped into movies.

mr_pikachu
9th September 2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, she was quite a writer. I haven't read too much of her work; the only book I recall offhand was A Wrinkle in Time, which is probably the most commonly read one. And rightfully so; it was excellent. Her talents, like those of so many other great artists, will be missed.

Magmar
10th September 2007, 12:13 AM
omg I LOVED Wrinkle in Time. now i'm sad :(