PDA

View Full Version : Six years ago today...

Phoenixsong
11th September 2007, 01:33 AM
...America's world was turned upside down, and countless others across the globe were affected as well.

It's been six years... it seems like such a long time ago. Still, if there's anything you'd like to say... *shrug*

The best I can do (it's a year old, but shhhh, I can't draw lately). (http://elfdragon.deviantart.com/art/Remember-40963591)

:911:

Jeff
11th September 2007, 07:44 AM
I can't believe it was that long ago, I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. I was a senior in high school, we had class meetings that day (to discuss things like the prom and our senior trip). Before leaving for the meeting, I was in a computer class, we didn't do anything because the meetings took up most of that period, so most people in class just went on the Internet, and I heard someone (who was probably on a news site) say "A plane hit the World Trade Center" then someone else asked "Really? The one in Baltimore or New York?" We didn't find out what happened until the meeting, just at the end, as we were leaving the auditorium our principal came in to call us all back in and I tried to slip out to avoid whatever he had to tell us :P, but then I got stopped outside by a teacher. So I went back in (only to find my ex-girlfriend sitting where I was sitting), and the principal told us what had happened. It was just chaos for the rest of the day, apparently only the seniors were told about it, but by the end of the day everyone knew. I felt bad for my sister, because it was her 14th birthday. And being a freshman she had to find out through the seniors in her band class, what a crazy way to ruin someone's birthday. We ended up going home early because it was considered pointless for everyone to stay in school if they couldn't learn anything. It's just hard to remember that kind of detail for any other day.

Roy Karrde
11th September 2007, 09:20 AM
It seems just like yesterday, I really can't believe that it was 6 years ago. I was in the middle of Spanish class when a guy ran in screaming that planes had hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. We turned on the radio and I was shaking my head in disbelief becuase I believed the Pentagon was like the one in 7 Days where missles were launched to take down anything coming toward it.

After class was over I rushed to get my girlfriend and then ran to the pay phone and called my Dad to confirm it. Afterwards I watched the towers go down in my next class, my teacher was crying and out of it. We also had a deaf girl in class who's sign person didn't show up, so I turned on Microsoft Word and used it to comunicate information to her.

It just seemed the world turned upside down that day, one guy ran down the hall way screaming "Fuck the Arabs". And then later that day two of my friends got into fist fights in the hallways. And of course there was no airplanes in the air during football practice when we are so close to a International Airport.

It was just a scary and shocking day, and we shouldn't forget the real heroes on that day, the men and women on United 93, the flight attendents on all the planes who tried their best to warn the ground. And of course the police officiers and fire fighters and office workers who gave up their lives to make sure everyone made it out.

It's sad that looking back the whole thing seemed like a movie or something created by Hollywood. Maybe that is why we have so many nuts out there that just cannot believe that planes piloted by islamic extreamists actually did hit the World Trade Center, and hit the Pentagon, and of course the field.

Anyway it is a sad day, but it is also a day of heroes that gave up their lives, so that others may live.

Magmar
11th September 2007, 11:02 AM
Where was I. Let's see. Chem class fun. Teacher was an active army reserve... he wasn't too happy. It was scarier when the bomb went off in my school the next week. I never forgot *that*. At least I know the bomb wasn't a scam like 9/11.

Drusilla
11th September 2007, 02:17 PM
I was in middle school, out running on the track when the first plane hit... I came back inside before the end of the period for some reason that I can't remember, and I heard one of the coaches on the phone talking about something happening in New York. The talk in the locker room was mostly about how it was probably some power outage, no big deal, but I was worried. At the time, I had three relatives living and working in NYC.

I went to my next period (US History, ironically) and sat down just in time to see the second tower fall live, not one of the reruns... It was like everything just stopped for me. I knew that my cousin would have been in that part of Manhattan at the time, and I freaked. I remember people being pulled out of school for the rest of the day, and the sub in study hall being an ass and not letting us watch the news.

I found out three days later that my cousin hadn't just been in Manhattan, but she was under the towers in the subway station when the planes hit. She not only got out, but helped a blind man get to safety as well. There were so many stories of people reaching out to strangers in the panic and helping each other... and I think those are the stories that tell of the true American spirit. Even in a city notorious for the selfish and antisocial tendencies of many of its citizens, people were able to pull together to get through the dark time. The same for the people who managed to bring down the plane in Pennsylvania. They knew that they weren't going to make it, but they had a chance to insure that no one else had to die, and they took it.

So much in our world today is about us versus them, and it shouldn't be. We're all human, though we come from different cultures and have different stories. It's a shame that this is all but forgotten outside of tragedy.

Heald
11th September 2007, 03:01 PM
I was getting a train back home when it happened. To be honest, it really didn't phase me; terrorism was and still is a threat that England is constantly at threat from (what with Irish Nationalists plotting against England since the 1920s) and it happened in a far-off country, although it did make me think that perhaps England might come under attack in the coming days. Thankfully, weeks passed and no attacks. Then Tony Blair goes against Parliament and decides to make England number one on the terrorist shit-list with his little misadventure into the Middle East. Wanker. The families of the 52 victims of the 7/7 attacks can thank him for their deaths.

Speaking of 7/7, I can sympathise with those who had family in Manhattan at the time; much of my immediate and extended family works in London and I can understand perfectly what it feels like when you find out a loved one could have been killed in an attack.

Toxicity
12th September 2007, 12:06 AM
I was probably among the many who didn't realize until quite later, given that the only true words in regards to the day were on the news. My realization came from all of the politically-driven messages on the shirts of some on campus, many supporting the administration's decisions and thoughts while an equal, if not higher, amount went against it. But I still remember that day...

I was in seventh grade at the time, back in Kentucky. I remember everything was just calm that morning for my first class that day, Band, and then there was a bit of an unusual rush in the hallways. I didn't understand what was going on either until I managed to get into English, and saw the television on. There were constant repeats of the first crash, and then the second crash happened not too long after class started, in which we just watched and waited. We were all confused, and a little scared.

I remember hearing a lot of rumors more than I did the actual events. As in, the possibility of something happening in our part of Kentucky - when the main concern, the gold vault in Fort Knox, was a long way's southwest of our town. I didn't quite understand it either, probably because of the rush, and it shocks me how much six years can change anything. Including my mom's words when I got home that day of how she knew there would be a deployment pretty soon - not even a month, and troops were sent to Afghanistan. And the months afterwards were brutal for a small handful of classmates I knew pretty well, including a Lebanese girl and Indian boy.

And even then, I never heard much of the true selflessness that went on in the following days, weeks, and months. I still assume it was because the media, probably my only source at that time, mentioned it in passing; all was overshadowed by the praises and criticism of deployment, and the constant run-in of how there is progress when others say otherwise. It seems like that still goes on now, which creates the case of the mixed feelings about the whole event.

All I can say is hopefully things will change in the near future, maybe this time for the better. And even then, it has to take a lot of understanding on both sides of the spectrum.

Jim Crill
12th September 2007, 02:54 PM
I remember it, but I didn't have much of a reaction. I was about 10 at the time and I don't recall any shock or surprise, but I write that off to my age. I was in a gym with my parents when I saw a plane crash into the buildings on a TV. I just looked and walked off, wasn't till later that I actually gained some sort of understanding about it.