PDA

View Full Version : Psst... hey, kid! Want to buy a country?

mr_pikachu
20th September 2007, 07:09 AM
Belgium is put up for auction on eBay (http://www.yahoo.com/s/682622).

Okay, so apparently the thing was shut down. But I love the concept. You have to wonder how many of the bidders thought it was legitimate and how many seriously wanted to own a country.

I can totally see this happening for real someday. It'd be great if everybody assumed that it was yet another massive hoax, and some kid ended up buying a country for $5. Maybe $10, if inflation keeps up.

Still, I suppose this doesn't quite beat the time someone tried to auction off the sun. But it's close.

Drago
20th September 2007, 08:19 AM
Bridgeville in California has been auctioned on eBay several times, if I'm not mistaken.

That, and an Aussie once put New Zealand on auction with a starting bid of a penny...

Master of Paradox
20th September 2007, 08:22 AM
And yet, unless I missed a guess, it's still possible to rent out Luxemborg.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th September 2007, 08:30 AM
Just what would I do with a country?

You name it. Everything is possible. You can make people to pay for air, try communism, own huge companies and so on.

OK, I have thought of this before and that's a nice way to spend like several billion euros. A friend of mine said that she wouldn't be able to send it all in one day if she got 1 million euros but this is what makes me disagree.

I don't know if even trillion euros was enough to buy the USA, but now that I think of it, how can you exactly buy a country? Do you give some billion dollars to the president or something? At least here in Finland, I think there would be some resistance if Tarja Halonen announced that she has received some euros and is going to give up the country.

Magmar
20th September 2007, 10:45 AM
i want a country, mommyyyyyyy!!!

Asilynne
20th September 2007, 12:39 PM
Id want my own personal island like if it wasnt one of those shitty ones that fall into the sea in 50 years XD

But yeah I always wanted to buy my own island so me and my family could live in a place that was truely ours :> maybe thats how you could START a country! No taxes cause theyre all family lol

Blademaster
20th September 2007, 01:49 PM
They tried to auction off the Sun, too? Dammit...

(scratches that off his 'Ideas on How to Take Over the World' list)

Oh, well. You live, you learn.

Houndoom_Lover
20th September 2007, 04:02 PM
Holy crap! If I owned a place of my own...that would be freakin' sweet! I'd ban money...and then maybe clothes ^.^

SlipKnoT
20th September 2007, 05:42 PM
That's hilarious.

Selling a country on ebay? That just oozes awesome win.

Asilynne
20th September 2007, 06:01 PM
Holy crap! If I owned a place of my own...that would be freakin' sweet! I'd ban money...and then maybe clothes ^.^

XDDDDDDD
Nudist country!!!

Phoenixsong
20th September 2007, 06:44 PM
This is even better than the people who sell souls on eBay.

Let me know when they're ready to auction off Switzerland. Switzerland could rule the world one day. I wanna be in on that hot action.

Crystalmaster Mike
23rd September 2007, 01:30 PM
Heh, the fun thing is that it wasn't just the whole country, you could buy just one part of it, too. I believe they divided it in Flanders, Wallony and Brussels, though I could be mistaken. This country could be (and often is) divided in so many ways... (but that's another story).

Fun thing is, election day was a rough 100 days ago, and we still don't have a new government. Power to the non-elected ones, yay.

What's more, I believe they mentioned the country was a hand-down / second-hand. Way to lower the price of the article!