PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters Facing Criminal Charges

mr_pikachu
24th September 2007, 06:53 AM
Students face criminal charges for cheating (http://www.yahoo.com/s/686492)

This is an interesting issue, because there are two separate issues to be considered. The first is that the students were, rather obviously, trying to cheat. The second is that in order to cheat, they (apparently) broke into the school and took literal "cheat sheets." While the cheating is probably something that could be handled internally, doing the same with the breaking and entering is a little more of a stretch - possible, but not necessarily required from my point of view.

It did seem like the video tended to side with the students, and perhaps that's the reason my opinion swung the other way as a counterbalance; I think that minor charges are probably warranted for the offense, should the school choose to take the matter to the police. Of course, the other point of view that "they're just high school students" has its merits. But to compare it with another ongoing story, if we're going to charge students with attempted murder for a schoolyard fight (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16509), I don't see any reason to pull punches here. (Granted, that case seemed way, way over-the-top to me, but I'm making a point about equal leniency.)

Anyway, I've jabbered on for far too long, and I'm probably getting onto a bit of a tangent with that last part. *absconds self* But what do you think should be done in this case? Discuss!

Magmar
24th September 2007, 09:46 AM
Charge 'em with the misdemeanor!

Blademaster
24th September 2007, 12:38 PM
Toss them in the slammer.

American justice is cool.

Arnen
24th September 2007, 06:18 PM
Who cares if they're in high school? The little shits should know better by know not to freaking break into places. They should be charged for breaking and entering, which is just what they did. Being in high school is no excuse for being an idiot.

Blademaster
24th September 2007, 07:13 PM
Being in high school is no excuse for being an idiot.

That's not what they told us. :sweat:

Houndoom_Lover
24th September 2007, 07:20 PM
Pffft- Cheating isn't a crime. I consider it a smart way to show your ninja skills!

Mystic_clown
24th September 2007, 07:24 PM
It's theft! Plain and bloody simple! They broke in, stole school property and the handed them out. I'm sure giving away and possessing stolen property's a crime as well.

If they do get off, what's that going to tell everyone? If you're in high school, you can get away with theft?

Blademaster
24th September 2007, 07:29 PM
Wait, they handed the cheat sheets out?

What assholes! They should be thrown in jail even more now!

Dumb fucks... That'll teach you to give stolen shit away for free! Next time charge money for it, like a smart American would! :swear:

Arnen
24th September 2007, 10:20 PM
That's not what they told us. :sweat:

Well, this is my last year of it, and I haven't been told anything of the sort. I'm just sick of being grouped together with idiots because we happen to have been born within however many months of each other. >_>

Drusilla
24th September 2007, 10:23 PM
Let's shoot 'em; that's the REAL American way. 8)

Anyway... Being in high school and being an idiot tend to go hand in hand 99% of the time. It's a minor thing, first offense... So let's shoot 'em!