PDA

View Full Version : Eidlfitri

Roarkiller
12th October 2007, 10:04 AM
If you have any muslim friends (besides me, thanks), it's a good time to say Happy Eidlfitri to them, cuz today's the last day of the fasting month.

And so a lil' lesson.

Contrary to popular belief, Eidlfitri is NOT the New Year equivalent in the Islamic calendar; in fact, it's the beginning of the 10th month (the fasting month of Ramadhan is the 9th).

Even more of a popular belief that is untrue is that Eidlfitri is a celebration of the end of the fasting month. It's not. It's a celebration of our success of completing the fasting month.

Generally, what the public knows about the fasting month is our restraint of food and drink. Naturally, there's more to that than simply no food or drinks down or throat. For starters, you just don't get involved in anything RELATED to food or drinks if you can help it. So no, no standing by the cake shop salivating away.

Apart from the obvious restraint, we are also expected to restrain ourselves in our other senses (sight, hearing, speech, etc), which requires no explanation, being rather obvious. There's also a ban on any sexual activities during the daytime, FYI.

That's the gist of it.

Eidlfitri itself, as I said, is to celebrate our successfully completing the fasting obligation. First order of the day is prayers, obviously, but it is also highly recommended to eat something before the prayers (because you're not fasting anymore).

It is also generally recommended to visit your relatives and friends for the sake of improving our ties.

The celebration of Eidlfitri lasts as long as the fasting month, which means it lasts a month. This is only officially, of course; no one would actually celebrate the whole month long, unless you got a VERY big family.

Here's to all muslims of TPM. Happy Eidlfitri :)

darktyranitar
12th October 2007, 06:51 PM
Good explain there, Elias.

Anyway, I am out for the prayer soon, followed with the visit to my grandmother's house (almost all of my relatives are there). Yay to lots of food and money :P

(It might be worth to note that (at least from what is practiced here and the neighbouring countries) on eidilfitri, feast are held for the visitors, as well as money (small amount, usually handed out to relatives or small children visitor; think of ang pow in the chinese new year celebration))

Here's a happy eidilfitri to you, and to the rest of the muslims of TPM (which if IIRC, there are others beside the two of us) :)

Master of Paradox
12th October 2007, 09:57 PM
Much as I don't hold any beliefs myself, I consider it proper to honor those of others.

Salaam, friends. May eidlfitri go well.

Blademaster
13th October 2007, 04:56 PM
Yay to lots of food and money :P

Where do I sign up? :D

I joke, I joke... No disrespect, Faiz. :sweat2: Have a good Eidlfitri.

(Did I spell it right? I copy and pasted it and I'm still not sure I spelled it right. ^^;;; )

Houndoom_Lover
13th October 2007, 07:45 PM
I wanted to become Muslin, so I could go to Meca, and leave school for five days. And when I come back, they'll want to make everything over five days illegal- and I'll be like, "Gasp! Surpression and hate crime!" Then I'll sue XD

Happy Holiday ^_^

darktyranitar
15th October 2007, 05:36 AM
Thanks HL :)... though if you don't mind me asking, what was the point you were trying to convey in your post?

Sorry; confused, I am :P

mr_pikachu
15th October 2007, 08:37 AM
Our hall government held a big Eid ul-Fitr (I've seen it spelled so many different ways this past week) celebration yesterday. It was open to anyone of any religion, actually, which meant that those of us who aren't Islamic had the chance to learn a few things. Admittedly, I think most people came for the chicken marsala, but it was still cool to see 100+ people show up for something like that.